Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (24 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) we don't deserve a playoff spot. this is an awful basketball team.
@  majik19 : (24 March 2016 - 02:43 AM) major loss for playoffs...
@  majik19 : (23 March 2016 - 02:44 AM) fitting that they lost on a dumb turnover.
@  thenit : (20 March 2016 - 02:40 PM) Its time someone in the team got into Harden's face. I don't even care what the reason was or if Jet was at fault, just good that someone is willing to do it
@  slick shoes : (20 March 2016 - 12:04 AM) did anyone just see James and JET get in to it? they had to be separated by Brewer.
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 09:25 PM) I don't know, Feigen tweeted that they had another meeting, and that Dmo said that we had 6 or 6 of those according to feigen. Basically said its no time to talk because nothing changes and walk the walk
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 09:19 PM) Who is calling these meetings? Does anyone even show up at this point?
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 08:48 PM) Its laughable, they had another players only meeting. I think its like the 10th one. Still no change. Its so stupid, like Dmo said whats the point of talking if we don't play hard.
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) are you surprised? this is the same team that we've seen all season. so much talk from the locker room about improvement and change. the grizz win was a fluke.
@  Cooper : (17 March 2016 - 02:52 AM) on pace to give up 144 at half, pathetic effort.
@  RocketMan : (15 March 2016 - 11:34 PM) Per the references, yes.
@  slick shoes : (15 March 2016 - 12:51 PM) Is Terrence Jones even on the team any more?
@  majik19 : (12 March 2016 - 06:15 AM) didn't watch the whole game, but we actually looked solid on both ends. the defense was rotating appropriately. i can hardly believe it.
@  DenverRocket : (11 March 2016 - 08:51 PM) Great interview with DM: http://espn.go.com/e...lay?id=14951528
@  majik19 : (10 March 2016 - 02:20 AM) pathetic how close this game is...
@  thejohnnygold : (06 March 2016 - 12:48 AM) Those are some sweet socks. Have fun!
@  bboley24 : (05 March 2016 - 06:38 PM) Im going to the game tonight in Chicago. Ill be in the bright rockets sweater. Wearing my socks as usual. Then off to the Cleveland game in a few weeks as well! My wife is an amazing woman.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 March 2016 - 05:52 PM) Dekker and Harell looking pretty good down in RGV...especially Harell. LINK
@  majik19 : (03 March 2016 - 04:53 PM) the Rockets are so desperate they signed Michael Beasley to a 1+ year contract...
@  thejohnnygold : (03 March 2016 - 01:59 AM) Gotta admit, I like what I'm seeing so far...4 minutes left in 1st half and the entire team looks good...now if we can just get some of these 3's to fall...

Photo

Houston Rockets 2014 Free Agency Chase

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

New post: On the Houston Rockets' quest for Carmelo Anthony
    By: rahat huq

There was an interesting segment the other night on TNT's Inside the NBA, discussing the Houston Rockets' quest for a third star.  Howard Beck, formerly of The New York Times, mentioned Rajon Rondo, Dirk, Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony, and even Lebron James as possible targets for Houston this offseason.  None of this is really earth-shattering.  Daryl Morey's belief that this team is still missing a "third star" has been publicly documented.  But should the Rockets pursue a third gun and if so, who would be the best target and can any of them even be had?

To begin, it should be clear: when Mr. Morey speaks of adding a third star, that notion is not dismissive of the prospect of internal growth.  The likeliest candidates there would be Chandler Parsons, Jeremy Lin, and Terrence Jones.  But having watched the three closely for a sizable sample, can one feel any confidence in expected trajectory?  Parsons lacks the physical gifts to do much more than he already is doing.  Jones will eventually fill out as a dependable role-player, but he too lacks the physical tools to ever be considered a "star."  For now, simply not being an abomination defensively would be a noble start.  And Lin, for his gifts--few point guards possess his combination of quickness, size, and strength--probably lacks the overall composure/confidence to be more than a sparkplug, at least in this setting, on this team.  (I still do think that like Steve Francis, if handed the reins to a team, Lin can be its best player, guiding it to a low-40's record.  That will not happen here and I do believe that a change of scenery would be best for both parties.)

Is the acquisition of a third star a wise course of action?  The alternative would be dispersing the third max slot between two 'medium-salaried' players, as the team is structured now with Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik both on the books at roughly $8million (as distinct from each player's $15million real-money entitlement.)  Both sides of the coin hold merit.  There is much truth to the logic that a true-max player (along with a minimum salaried player) is the best value contract in the league.  The thinking would thus go that fitting as many max salaried players into one's cap would yield the highest utility from resources spent.  In the alternative, the coexistence of three max players can often lead to the marginalization of the third, a noted inefficiency in resource allocation.  To illustrate, most would agree that while Miami's Chris Bosh has been immensely valuable during that team's title runs, he hasn't produced to the fullest extent of his capabilities.  (The case of Miami is ironically instructive in that it can serve as the blueprint for either side of the argument: the Heat won two titles with three stars; the Heat barely won two titles while having three stars and only did win because they had the potential GOAT.)

The solution to this quandary is 'fit', or, synergistic value.  The Boston Celtics were able to maximize the utility of each of their stars because each player filled a well-defined, unique niche, complementing the other two players' strengths and weaknesses.  To put it simply, Garnett held down the defense at an elite level, Pierce created off the dribble at an elite level, and Ray Allen shot threes at an elite level.  Would having Carmelo Anthony and James Harden together fit this model?

It is my belief that the greatest downside to the Rockets' early exit from the postseason is that a sufficiently sizable sample of data regarding the team was not allowed to accrue.  Subsequently, the danger lies in forming erroneous conclusions on the basis of insufficient data.  Illustrative of this point is the case of Dwight Howard: while he produced at the expected rate of a max-player, I do not think he can be depended upon to produce similarly in later situations.  (This is not meant as an indictment of Howard, so please don't let emotions cloud your analysis.)  One really does not need to look any further than the games against the Thunder and Clippers this season for a peak into Howard's expected return against those teams.  My point here is that while much is made about the Rockets' defensive woes (and rightfully so), I also think it is not accurate to say they are set offensively to win a championship.  The Rockets' system and roster suffices to produce one of the league's best offenses in the aggregate, on the strength of strong production early in games.  That all comes sputtering to a halt close and late when Howard is typically rendered useless (unless facing a favorable matchup such as Portland), Chandler Parsons' physical inabilities become a hindrance, and Jeremy Lin and Terrence Jones (if even on the court) collectively wet the bed.  Defenses key in on Harden, and...well...you've seen what happens.  It is my belief that much of the defensive problems can be corrected through proper coaching.  This is a different topic altogether.  But offense is, for the most part, a personnel issue.

So what to make of the prospects?  The prospect of James doesn't really merit an academic discussion.  If he can be had, it will be done.  But what of Rondo, Dirk, Bosh, and Anthony?  I don't think Nowitzki either is a realistic target as I don't see him ever leaving Dallas.  Bosh's future hinges on James.  If Lebron goes elsewhere, Bosh certainly leaves the Heat.  The Heat, with their roster dismantled, would have no interest in paying Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin, and thus, would balk at a sign&trade offer.  Couple this with the fact that Lebron won't be leaving (Cleveland was the only realistic expectation and they still suck) and Bosh--while in theory the perfect fit--is a very, very long shot.

That leaves Rondo and Anthony, the former of whom Beck reported to be "very unlikely" as a Rockets acquisition.  Would Melo make sense?  I think it's an absolute no-brainer.

Some readers mentioned that acquiring Melo would kill the Durant 2016 dream, a point with which, while true, I have to take exception.  Durant is certainly a worthy goal and given his relationship with Harden, not as far-fetched a target as it would seem.  But maintaining the flexibility to sign Durant would mean foregoing later acquisitions for another two more seasons.  That means two more years of Dwight Howard's prime, wasted.  (To clarify, once Houston's foundation is set, it can exceed the cap and dip into luxury tax levels by pursuing players using the Mid-Level exception without fear of sacrificing flexibility.  Right now, the Rockets cannot sign players above the league minimum (much less even re-sign Chandler Parsons) because they have an eye towards cap space in 2015.)  The Rockets have to splurge now before they run out of time.

I've explained at length on these pages why I believe Anthony would be an almost ideal fit on the Rockets.  If played at the '4', he would give the team a weapon to counter the superstar power forwards in the West that torture them regularly.  We saw against Portland that even the combination of Dwight Howard and Omer Asik--two of the game's best interior defenders--was not enough to shut down LaMarcus Aldridge.  Having Anthony would at least make players of that ilk work at the other end, rather than being able to rest up on defense.  The thinking goes that if you can't stop them, at least make them stop you too.  And there isn't a single power forward alive, or even person for that matter, who can guard Carmelo Anthony.

Anthony would give the team another crunch-time option.  He can operate from the mid-range, the area most free when smart defenses tighten up.  He's also surprisingly efficient when spotting up, something he did regularly at the Olympics and would have the opportunity to do here in Houston.  (Anthony scored 1.08 PPP when spotting up this year, good for 80th in the league.)

I also don't think defense would be as great a concern as critics of an Anthony pursuit have made it out to be.  To be sure, as a power forward, he wouldn't be any worse than Jones who is, at least when inside, borderline atrocious.  But more than that, the Rockets will have to address their scheme and coaching staff to get at the heart of their defensive problems.  Right now, the Rockets don't even have a coherent scheme, it seems.  Adding Anthony's offense would do more in the aggregate than adding a defensive player and what Anthony lacks can somewhat be mitigated by proper coaching; the opposite does not hold true.

So how would Houston go about acquiring Carmelo Anthony?  One of two things would need to happen.  They would either need to trade both Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin (creating the sufficient cap room on their own) or convince the Knicks to agree to a sign&trade deal.  Anthony, of course, would need to desire to come here.  The first route would be tricky because it is difficult to envision any team taking on Jeremy Lin unless netting significant assets from the Rockets for the favor.  The sign&trade route, however, seems plausible because it does not seem too unrealistic to see the Knicks trading back for Lin for another year of Linsanity to fill the coffers in an expected down year.  That route could also prevent Anthony from fleeing to the Bulls, a conference rival.

Understand, this is not a pipe-dream, at all.  Anthony to the Rockets is an extremely realistic scenario.  Whether it happens, we will have to wait and see, but like last year, we are gearing up for yet another interesting offseason.

#2 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,347 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

Maybe Melo would take a two year contract? Ha!

Look I am of the opinion if you can get a healthy superstar you give it the go ahead every time but I think you have me more convinced now. The defensive argument is a poor one against the Anthony acquisition and usually just carryover from the vocal Harden naggers. You keep Harden and Howard and everyone else is on the table I imagine, looking forward to seeing Morey make this happen.

I can't stand the Warriors!

#3 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,598 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

I do wonder about Harden/Melo. Can Harden take a backseat to Melo? He would have to. Melo wouldn't come here to play Robin.

Why so Serious? :D

#4 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,304 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

With Dwight not being a 20ppg guy on a regular basis anymore I think adding a 3rd star is the way to go, melo or bosh would be great. Rondo would be ok even with his limitations he would bring an attitude/toughness that we currently lack. We do need a lot of cards to fall our way to get either.

#5 payplay2

payplay2

• Members
      • Pip
      • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

The Rockets have the players to win if they play as a team.  Harden and  Melo are not team players.  The ball movement tend to stop when either one receives the ball.  Both are also defensive liabilities.  It would take a better coach than McHale to create an atmosphere where Harden, Melo and Howard would become team players.

#6 chantu

chantu

• Members
        • Pip
        • 36 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:25 AM

Melo?  You kidding me?  Melo's like a Harden.  All offense, defense is optional.  The Rockets will never be a true contender until they solve their defensive problems.

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,211 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:04 AM

@Rahat

totally totally agree. Melo is a no-brainer. I hear the concerns of those who worry about ego problems over who gets the ball, but I think the Rockets have plenty of shots to go around once you limit some of the players taking shots now. Melo is a good passer so him and D-12 would probably flourish together as they would be hard for any team to match on the front court. I think if used properly the combination of Harden, D-12 and Melo can be as deadly as the Miami threesome. I do still believe the Rockets will need an upgrade at PG though. we need to get the ball out of Harden's hands. Harden is a finisher not an initiator or facilitator. Yes he makes great passes on occasion, but to many turnovers from bad decisions. we need someone who is better at handling that roll. I'm not saying I don't love what Beverly gives us, but getting the ball in someone's hand who can help the team get better looks at the basket is absolutely necessary to improve this team. normally a good coach could design plays that would reduce this burden, however since we don't have that advantage PG upgrade it is.  

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#8 biggajiggafigga

biggajiggafigga

• Members
          • Pip
          • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:56 AM

I don't see Carmelo meshing well in Houston, especially if McHale is still the coach.

Melo's never been known for being a chemistry guy, and there is going to be one ball to share between so many ball dominant guys.

SIDENOTE - Watching the Spurs do such minor adjustments like using the pick and roll as well as making LMA go his to his uncomfortable hand..... and we've got another year at least of McHale bumbling through the playoffs.

#9 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 549 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

Good post.. I simply don't buy into the diatribe that Melo wouldn't be able to function with Harden together on the court. Main reason is.. How do we know? What team has Melo been on that had another prolific scorer like Harden (much less two players who are tops at their position)? I think he's earned his reputation simply as a factor of always being on teams that had no potent second option on offense. Shump and Smith were the only ones he would possibly defer to to take a shot, but why reduce the chances of it falling if he is so damn deadly with the mid-range jumper? Dwight and Harden can both boast finals experience. Melo is sick and tired of losing, I think he would adjust fine here. If nothing else the jury is still out whether he could function on a well-built team I would be all for giving him that chance. I think a package with Lin, Asik and Parsons could be attractive to the Knicks. They replace Melo's scoring contributions with Parsons and Lin and get superb rim protection as a bonus. A lineup of Lin, Shump/Smith, Parsons, (insert PF(shoot, throw Jones in on the deal too)), and Asik can make the playoffs in the east, especially seeing what ATL was able to get in with. If we are able to form a Big 3, then it will be easy to fill in the voids left with vets on mins. I think the biggest holes in our team, from watching the playoffs, are experience and veteran leadership..

#10 Charles B

Charles B

• Members
              • Pip
              • 17 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

Understand this, getting Melo "IS" a pipe-dream. If Defense and coaching are HOU main issue, whoever thinks adding Melo to the team is a great idea is really dreaming.  

#11 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                • 2,347 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

Not sure if any of you worried about defense even read Rahat's article.

Do those of you with defensive concerns about Anthony believe Jones is any better at defense? Even if you do believe Jones is better is the difference even comparable to how much better the offense would be with Anthony? Aren't those relatively simple answers?

#12 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 549 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

Understand this, getting Melo "IS" a pipe-dream. If Defense and coaching are HOU main issue, whoever thinks adding Melo to the team is a great idea is really dreaming.  

That's funny, because if you Google: Carmelo Anthony and click on the news tab, all you get is articles about the possibility of him coming here. I guess you know better though?

There are plenty of opinions posted here that explain why it is a good idea, and a few that explain why it isn't.

Understand this, If we expect Charles B to substantiate any of his opinions rather than just insulting everyone else's then the posters at Red94 are really dreaming.

Not sure if any of you worried about defense even read Rahat's article.

Do those of you with defensive concerns about Anthony believe Jones is any better at defense? Even if you do believe Jones is better is the difference even comparable to how much better the offense would be with Anthony? Aren't those relatively simple answers?

This^

#13 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,390 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

Defense and coaching are the things people are blaming.  The "problem" (if there is one) is experience, maturity, and the simple fact that we exist in a conference loaded with talent, experience, and maturity.  The attitude that the championship is ours for the taking if we just ___________ (insert complaint about defense, coaching, pg, pf, acquire player x, etc.) is myopic and dismissive of the fact that 30 other teams are all trying to do the same thing with really good players and coaches too.

There are no guarantees and acquiring Melo, Rondo, Love, Aldridge, LeBron or anyone at all doesn't change that.

Melo is the most likely candidate for acquisition.  Concerns about him making us better should be put to bed.  The guy is far above Terrence Jones' highest ceiling.  He is better than Aldridge, Bosh, and Love.  Offensively, he solves a lot of our problems.  Defensively, I think he will be fine.

He gives us a huge mismatch and is able to do so playing the 3 or the 4.  He has a very good post game, mid-range game, and three point game.  His ball-stopping reputation is as much a function of his teams as it is his "selfishness".

I don't think there are any problems with "are there enough shots for everyone"..."there's only one ball"....This league is an arms race and we are currently short-handed.

All of these San Antonio comparisons lack scale and understanding in my opinion.  They have a great coach and 3 stars.  For some reason, Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili get zero credit for being a BIG 3....all three future hall of famers and all three having been top 5 at their position for the last decade.  But let's ignore that and point to their system, their bench, and everything else besides the obvious--the great players.  It only works because of them.  Thibs and Pop may be able to squeeze blood from turnips when their stars are hurt, but you know what even they can't do?  Win a championship....unless the "stars align".  So compare us to them all you want, but trust me when I say the best way to emulate San Antonio is to acquire a third star (or somehow have Parsons, Jones, or Lin transform into one).  Talent makes coaching look so much better.  Does anyone think that Pop could take Miami to a 7 game finals last season with Brandon Jennings, Amir Johnson, and Joe Johnson instead of Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili?  Yes, the system is nice, but it caters to the talent and it works because of the talent.

Houston has a plan--a system--which they are trying to acquire the right talent for.  This is the only reason I can find to not acquire Melo.  Like RBF said above, in a free style offense like this a heady PG who can create for others consistently in a variety of ways, can read defenses and break them down is a must-have.  As much as I like our PG situation (mostly) it could stand a big time upgrade....Rondo is a question mark....but I think he would work.  Eric Bledsoe is not that guy.  Neither is Chalmers.  They are few and far between.  Greivis Vaquez could be a solid pick up.

Barring a PG acquisition like this, our best bet for an upgrade is Melo....and that is a very, very good thing.  Right now, Houston is losing an arms race with the Clippers--more than any other team they are the biggest roadblock for us getting out of the West....and OKC....and Portland....

#14 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,211 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

@JG

that's hitting the nail on the head. totally agree. we are in an arms race out west and minor tweaks are not going to get the job done.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#15 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                  • 2,347 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

I think Devin Harris could be a good pick up at the 1 and make Beverley the defensive specialist off the bench. (Assuming we have Beverley after acquiring Anthony)

I think this team still needs a big off the bench guy that qualifies as a bruiser.

I wonder with Harden, Anthony and a decent shooting point guard if you can run the twin towers more?

#16 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPip
                  • 549 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

I think Devin Harris could be a good pick up at the 1 and make Beverley the defensive specialist off the bench. (Assuming we have Beverley after acquiring Anthony)

I think this team still needs a big off the bench guy that qualifies as a bruiser.

I wonder with Harden, Anthony and a decent shooting point guard if you can run the twin towers more?

I don't see us getting Melo without losing Asik, which, of course is the hardest part to accept. Harris could fill the bill for sure. With Melo though, I still like Beverley running the show at PG, just for as well as he is able to protect the ball, he rarely turns it over and is rarely the victim of a steal. I think, given the initiative, Beverley could do some impressive scoring himself, he's got a nice floater and decent from range.. McHale just hasn't given him the directive to do so..

#17 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 2,598 posts
                    • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

No way we get Melo without losing Asik. The salaries don't match.

Why so Serious? :D

#18 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,211 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

@TTDN

agreed. one fact that we must accept is Asik is toast if we bring a third star here. if we bring Melo in his contract is necessary to make the numbers work. if we bring in Rondo he will probably be the center piece of the deal because we'd have to put a whole lot of draft pick sweetener to even make them consider Lin. with a third max or near max salary on the books Asik's contract would probably push us near  luxury tax territory or maybe even over it when we consider the Parsons situation. I know Les is willing to pay the tax, but the longer we delay it the more sustainable the team becomes. it's just not realistic Asik will be here next year especially after his tirade this year. sure it appeared he bought in after the allstar break, but there's also no doubt that he allowed his personal situation to become a distraction for the team. with both Morey and Les releasing statements expressing flexibility about the cap and realizing that this can only happen with both Lin and Asik gone, I'd say they have a clear cut plan and neither of these players are part of it

#19 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                    • 2,347 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

I don't see us getting Melo without losing Asik, which, of course is the hardest part to accept. Harris could fill the bill for sure. With Melo though, I still like Beverley running the show at PG, just for as well as he is able to protect the ball, he rarely turns it over and is rarely the victim of a steal. I think, given the initiative, Beverley could do some impressive scoring himself, he's got a nice floater and decent from range.. McHale just hasn't given him the directive to do so..

Right, that sounded like I was talking in circles. I guess I just meant another center along Dwight. That was kind of an afterthought that I could have left off my post since I know Asik isn't staying and hopefully Lin's contract gets moved as well.

Wonder if Brooks will come back again?

#20 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 4,390 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

Since it's on most everyone's mind and popping up in lots of different threads I thought we'd just open up an official thread for all kinds of personnel talk.  Whether it's who to sign, trade for, keep, or get rid of--let the armchair GM's do their thing :)

I'll post some useful references so that we can all refer to them easily.

Here is our salary status:

Note that the "Total Figures" at the bottom are all-inclusive and are not indicative of our "cap total".  For instance, next season we are set to pay $71, 980, 426, but we need to deduct Scola's salary, reduce Lin and Asik to $8.4M (roughly), and Parsons' contract may change as well.  LINK to source.

Here is another that breaks it down with the Salary Cap in mind...sorry the top got cut off.

SOURCE

Per ESPN.com, this is roughly what the league salary caps will be next season:

"Sources told ESPN.com that all 30 teams were informed this week via league memorandum that an increase in the cap from this season's $58.6 million to $63.2 million in 2014-15 -- thanks to increased revenues -- is now expected. A corresponding rise in the luxury-tax threshold from $71.7 million to $77 million is also projected, sources said."

So that leaves lots and lots of room to play with (although it goes fast :( )

Here are some links to Free Agent Listings:

HoopsHype

ESPN

And what would we do without the TRADE MACHINE?

(all potential trades will be ripped apart so post with caution :P)

FYI: Rondo is making roughly $12M next year and Melo is set to make roughly $24M for a max deal.

This is what I read about his potential next contract:

"The Knicks can offer him up to $129 million over five seasons, while other suitors max out at four years and $96 million. "

Finally, here is a WIKI that explains trade rules, salary cap, and various exceptions, etc.  Most questions can be answered here.  Larry Coon's page is considered the end-all-be-all source for CBA knowledge.  Check it out HERE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users