Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  rocketrick : (30 April 2014 - 01:20 AM) RudyT1995, I agree with the body language there at the end of OT. Reggie Miller was spot on. Still, the Rockets immediately recovered from that seemingly impossible 7 point deficit and Harden had a chance with a minute or so to go in OT to put the Rockets in the lead but missed that 3 point shot.
@  feelingsuper... : (30 April 2014 - 01:20 AM) Sorry, I'm biased. I can't stand Reggie. He is great but I don't get his color commentary at all. I like Webber and Jeff on TV and Hubie on the radio broadcast.
@  feelingsuper... : (30 April 2014 - 01:17 AM) Melo has got to be sitting at home watching the Bulls and the Rockets and the choice is probably clear right?
@  RudyT1995 : (30 April 2014 - 01:11 AM) Well, Reggie Miller sits courtside, and he knows a thing or two about body language. Listen to his play call from the end of game 4.
@  feelingsuper... : (30 April 2014 - 12:33 AM) Personally I think Harden is a hard read and fans are pretty far removed.
@  rocketrick : (30 April 2014 - 12:01 AM) The Rockets body language wasn't very positive when they got down by 7 in overtime, but 1 hell of a comeback. Harden hits that 3 and the Rockets would have been back in the lead in the last minute of the game.
@  rocketrick : (29 April 2014 - 11:53 PM) I do remember where it seemed like the Rockets ran 3-4 plays in a row when Harden only touched the ball briefly, but that wasn't a 4 minute span of time.
@  rocketrick : (29 April 2014 - 11:52 PM) On the bench.
@  rocketrick : (29 April 2014 - 11:52 PM) I know Rahat also mentioned that 4 minute thing. Funny thing is, I just went through the play by play and the only 4 minute stretch that Harden didn't do anything was at the start of the 2nd quarter when he was resting.
@  Cooper : (29 April 2014 - 11:39 PM) Harden looked pretty sulky at the end of last game when he didn't get the ball for about 4min straight.
@  feelingsuper... : (29 April 2014 - 11:33 PM) I follow the Rockets pretty closely as well rocketrick and I have yet to notice any sulking. Sounds like you have a vivid imagination there RudyT.
@  RudyT1995 : (29 April 2014 - 10:39 PM) I think you see what you want to see. Based on your track record here, that wouldn't surprise me.
@  rocketrick : (29 April 2014 - 10:25 PM) How come I don't notice them supposedly sulking when I attend all of their games?
@  RudyT1995 : (29 April 2014 - 10:08 PM) Nice to see you haven't changed rick. Still misinterpreting other people's posts like always.
@  RudyT1995 : (29 April 2014 - 10:07 PM) No. I meant that they sulk when they don't get the ball enough.
@  rocketrick : (29 April 2014 - 10:04 PM) I totally disagree with you RudyT1995. You're basically saying D12 and Harden don't care about winning, just individual statistics.
@  RudyT1995 : (29 April 2014 - 09:53 PM) If we got Griffin, both Dwight and Harden would sulk even more they already do about not getting the ball enough.
@  feelingsuper... : (29 April 2014 - 07:49 PM) It's not happening but Howard and Griffin would be devastating. Harden would be racking up assists.
@  Cooper : (29 April 2014 - 07:14 PM) Clips don't have spacing issues and Deandre is more limited than dwight
@  bladad : (29 April 2014 - 06:49 PM) @ Buckko: That front court would run into the same spacing problem that the asik/howard combo. Blake still doesn't have a good enough mid range game to justify playing them together.

Photo

Examining the Houston Rockets' pick and roll between James Harden and Dwight Howard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

New post: Examining the Houston Rockets' pick and roll between James Harden and Dwight Howard
    By: rahat huq

When Houston Rockets brass made its free agency pitch to Dwight Howard this past summer, many of the details of that meeting were later leaked.  One point of emphasis upon which management stressed was the synergistic potential of Howard with James Harden, in the pick and roll.  The thinking went that because Howard was a year or so removed from being the best pick and roll finisher in the league, and Harden was statistically one of the best pick and roll ball-handlers, the two players together could form a devastating combination.

In Games 1 and 2 of this series, if we saw the two superstars collaborate on that aforementioned set at all, I don't remember it.  But in Game 3, we--and the Blazers--were treated to a few doses of Howard/Harden, early on.  Predictably, Portland showed no signs of stopping the play as on almost every attempt, something positive occurred (Howard lost the ball on one play because Harden bounced the pass to him rather than lobbing it.)  Curiously, down the stretch late in the game, we never saw the play run again.

The pick and roll is the simplest play in basketball.  It is also one of the most impossible to defend, depending upon who all is involved.

The play begins with Harden setting up inside, rather than uptop, with Howard feeding him.  This is crucial.  As you'll see later, if the play is run from uptop, Howard would need to take a few dribbles upon receiving the pass, increasing the probability of error.  Posting up Harden keeps the play clean.

Howard comes and sets the pick but notice Lopez staying back.  There's no chance in Hell here that he's coming out to trap Harden.  Why?  Because the basket supports cost too damn much and being a good Blazers employee, he's mindful of that: if Lopez leaves Howard all alone, there is a strong chance the Houston center tears the rim down completely.

Also in this snap, keep an eye on Aldridge (under the basket) leaking over a bit away from Asik; Mo Williams is also pretty worried as well, enough to where he won't have the reaction time to rotate to Beverley.  More on this later.

Harden turns the corner and he has daylight.  Lopez still hasn't met him because of those basket cost issues.  Harden could squeeze off a jumper right here, if he wanted.  Beverley is also wide open.  Furthermore, interestingly, notice Aldridge actively boxing out Asik already (see the arm extended?).  Aldridge is already anticipating some sort of Asik involvement in this play.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a559/RedNinetyFour/4_zps9703715f.png

Harden gets closer, Lopez has no choice but to contest, and the rest here, as you saw in the video, is history.

Also notice Beverley, still completely wide open.  I'd put Daniels right there for another high percentage option.

What can the Blazers do to stop this?  Rather than having Mathews try to fight over the top of the pick with Lopez staying back, they could just switch coverage, but that leaves Mathews trying to contain Howard inside with Lopez alone with Harden - both advantageous to Houston.  They could try and trap Harden, leaving Howard alone at the rim.  If that happened, Aldridge would need to rotate, leaving Asik unaccounted for under the hoop.  Daniels, or whoever the corner man was, would still be wide open.  You get the point.

I understand you can't run the same play every single trip down the court.  I get that and I'm not advocating for it.  But this pick and roll is something Houston has not run nearly enough, for whatever reason.  As Van Gundy explained (I cleverly kept the Van Gundy commentary from the video even though the play had expired because....who cares if I'm the guy advocating for this?) it puts your two best players in the direct line of action.

I also think, if you run this in crunch-time, you can get by with keeping Asik on the court.  I explained yesterday that I felt that as long as both Howard and Asik were neither fatigued or in foul trouble, neither should come out of the game.  We have to have both guys on the floor and we just have to find a way to make it work offensively.  Taking Asik off the court, with Howard having to guard Aldridge outside, leaves the basket completely undefended for Portland's guards.  While the spacing on the other end, with Asik in, might be compromised, it's not like the Rockets offense was running smoothly anyway without him.  With the pick and roll, at least Asik is a threat on the boards.

In conclusion, I'm begging the Rockets to run this play more.  Please guys.  I'm begging you.  Until they show they can stop it, just do it.

#2 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,474 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

OK, yes, I wouldn't mind have Troy Daniels in the Corner instead of Bev in the sequence you discussed thoroughly in your post.

However, what happens after that particular play?

Meaning do you put Troy Daniels on Lillard? Lillard has had a really nice series thus far against Beverley and the Rockets. Lillard's eyes will probably pop out of his sockets if the Rockets are trying to guard him with Troy Daniels or James Harden or Chandler Parsons, etc. in that situation. Lin hasn't exactly slowed Lillard down at all either thus far in this series.

And if you get your wish and the twin towers are employed in the final minutes of a game, while Portland is running with a Lillard/Mo Williams/Batum/D Wright/Aldridge lineup, who does D12 guard?? Portland has four 3-point shooters in that situation and it's not like D12 can hang out in the lane and also somehow challenge the 3-point shot from the guy (D Wright?) he is "guarding" in that situation.

Yes, I agree, in the perfect world where the Rockets can substitute offense for defense, and then defense for offense after each and every individual play then what you are advocating makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately, this is the NBA and that scenario is not possible even in the waning minutes of a game. The Rockets were down to 1 time out with more than 3 minutes remaining in regulation. Timeouts are at a premium in a tightly contested game which is pretty much the case each and everytime Portland and Houston lace it up and face each other in the regular season or in the playoffs.

Edited by rocketrick, 27 April 2014 - 02:16 PM.

#3 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 295 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

i liked how it wasn't an obvious pick and roll (howard just goes to the top of the key). blazers have probably looked at this play as well. need to hide the pick and roll a bit more.

#4 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,530 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

rick: you have beverley up top instead of in the corner. he continues guarding lillard.

and if asik is in the game, i think the blazers go with both aldridge and freeland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users