Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  rocketrick : (29 April 2014 - 10:59 AM) What makes your question even tougher is Chris Paul is one of my most favorite NBA Players right now...I love his desire, intensity and mental toughness. He could teach our youngsters a lot of lessons.
@  rockets best... : (29 April 2014 - 09:26 AM) would you celebrate a championship any less?
@  rocketrick : (29 April 2014 - 07:42 AM) I agree with miketheodio. It just doesn't feel right to get a CP3 in this situation.
@  rockets best... : (29 April 2014 - 05:28 AM) come to think of it I'd take Blake over cp3.....better fit for this team
@  rockets best... : (29 April 2014 - 05:27 AM) for that matter I'd take Blake regardless of how it happened
@  rockets best... : (29 April 2014 - 05:26 AM) I'd take cp3 regardless of how it happened
@  miketheodio : (29 April 2014 - 05:24 AM) seems too opportunistic over a bad situation. didn't like it.
@  Cooper : (29 April 2014 - 02:55 AM) Ploy for a chance at cp3
@  feelingsuper... : (29 April 2014 - 02:53 AM) Any thoughts on Alexander mentioning that all the Clipper players could become free agents to force Sterling's hand.
@  RocketMansin... : (29 April 2014 - 02:34 AM) What do you think of Rondo? What ends up happening too him?? Not ready for the off season.. Just want too know what people think on certain players
@  thenit : (29 April 2014 - 12:56 AM) Toronto won't do a sign and trade to get back bad contracts they rather take the cap space, but I think if toronto give him a fair offer he will stay
@  blakecouey : (28 April 2014 - 11:23 PM) Also, unless it was part of a Sign and Trade, it doesn't help clear cap for 2015, so I'd put the odds at slim.
@  blakecouey : (28 April 2014 - 11:22 PM) If McHale is gone, I could see a KLow return as a possibility. Problem is he won't be Moreys #1 target, and he will likely sign before Melo(who we'd prob wait for an answer from)
@  RocketMansin... : (28 April 2014 - 04:20 PM) all
@  RocketMansin... : (28 April 2014 - 04:20 PM) Yeah you're probably right. One of my favorite players is Rondo so I am very curious to see what happens with him this summer. If anything at al
@  thenit : (28 April 2014 - 04:16 PM) based on history with Rockets no, we probably has to overpay for him to consider us. I live in TOronto so he has a sweet deal here being the man with Derozan
@  RocketMansin... : (28 April 2014 - 04:15 PM) That's what I meant.. Would he take less money to come back though?
@  thenit : (28 April 2014 - 04:07 PM) no need he is a FA
@  RocketMansin... : (28 April 2014 - 03:22 PM) Is there anyway we could pry Lowry back from Toronto? Just curious....
@  rocketrick : (28 April 2014 - 12:31 PM) Shakespearean in terms of Tragedy.

Photo

Huq's Pen: What a complete embarrassment

86 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

New post: Huq's Pen: What a complete embarrassment
    By: rahat huq

• Before this series began, never in my wildest dreams did I expect to be writing about the team being down 0-2 heading to Portland.  It was conceivable the Rockets could go down 0-2 in the next round against San Antonio, and in the next round, against the Thunder, I thought that prospect was a near certainty.  But against the Blazers?  While I predicted Houston in 5 on ESPN, I knew 1-1 was a distinct possibility.  But down 0-2 heading to Portland?  It looks like I really underestimated (perhaps willfully ignored) the importance of good coaching in professional sports.  Trust me, there will be much more on this point later.
    • I said on Twitter before tipoff, and also in my Game 1 rant-cap, that I wasn't overly worried/disappointed with Dwight Howard's play because, as Charles Barkley said, what we saw in Game 1 is essentially who Dwight is.  Howard came out last night on a completely different level, starting the game out scoring 13 of Houston's first 15 points, seemingly on a mission to destroy the basket support as he finished every play with one of those dunks where he pulls the whole rim down and hangs for aesthetic effect.  It was breathtaking to watch and by halftime, Superman had 25.  But heading into the third quarter, I tweeted that it worried me that while Howard and Blazers forward LaMarcus Aldridge were both having historic first halves, leading to the tied score, Aldridge's efforts were more sustainable while Howard's were likely to taper off.  Lo and behold, Howard scored just 7 more points the rest of the way, while Aldridge continued his tear to the tune of another 40+ performance.  That whole train of analysis is not meant as a knock on Dwight.  32-14-4 is more than enough to expect from one's superstar center.  My assertion was simply based upon the observation that Howard's game is more prone to being stopped by adjustments (more on this) than Aldridge's.  Howard made comments following Game 1 about needing to demand the ball more, but I never thought effort or intensity were really the problem.  Sure, he can flex his muscle and dunk the ball down as hard as possible, but a timely double-team or help defender here or there can completely throw him off.
    • If you're a fan of the Houston Rockets, you're wondering what an 'adjustment' is.  My apologies.  Allow me to explain as simply as possible.  An 'adjustment' is basically when, in a game, something is happening over and over again, perhaps by one of the teams, and then the other team's coach says, "hey guys, we need to make an adjustment.  let's stop doing 'x' and do 'y'."  And then typically, some different result ensues.  I've poured over the past two years worth of video from the Houston Rockets to find some tape to better illustrate the concept, but unfortunately, did not find anything.

• James Harden had another disastrous night, going 6-19 from the floor to the tune of 18 points, afterward in the postgame, not taking much of the accountability, and instead offering some tripe about 'team defense' (the irony.)  Harden's attitude overall is a concern and a development I've kept an eye upon since late last season when the honeymoon first began ending, but there will be ample time for such existential thematics during the hot summer days after the season ends.  At this rate, that date will come much sooner than anyone had ever expected.  I do think there's something though to helping put great players in a better position to where they can succeed (see: Erik Spoelstra's adjustments in putting Lebron in the block after the Mavs stymied him up top in the Finals the previous year), but unfortunately, there isn't time for that sort of thing right now.  If Houston's season is to survive, Harden is simply going to have to muster up an effort the likes of which he is capable and put them on his back with his jumpshot, as he did to close the regular season.  Harden has looked so horrendous these past two games that it is easy to forget that he is still one of the three or four most brilliant offensive players in basketball.  I won't talk about Harden's defense because, had he put forth the offensive numbers one would have expected, Houston would be up 2-0 right now.
    • This is sort of the problem with freelance basketball.  Things change in the playoffs.  When your entire gameplan relies upon one player going rogue and just being brilliant, if the other team somehow stops him, you are f*****.
    • Where was this LaMarcus Aldridge in the 2006 NCAA tournament against Big Baby Davis and the LSU Tigers?  I jest.  Funny thing is, I'm not completely concerned about Aldridge's play, thus far.  Yes*, I realize his game is built upon mid-range jumpshots, but that's at a 45%~ accuracy, not a 95% clip, or whatever he's going at right now.  Aldridge will regress at least slightly to the mean.  It's just not physically possible to continue hitting 19 foot turnarounds in Omer Asik's face for another 96 minutes.  The problem, as I stated last night, is that it's probably already too late.  Even if Aldridge regresses, as expected, can Houston really win 4 out of 5?
    • *I'm going to sound like a complete jerk right now, but one of the more irritating things (especially when I'm already in a highly irritated mood) is when I make an observation on Twitter during a live-tweeting session and someone attempts to enlighten me upon the basis of a premise already implicitly understood.  I noted during a game late in the year that "Houston is really posting up Harden more these days and he's looked fantastic; I'd like to see them run this play more" and someone replied informing me that it was because the Rockets' philosophy was to avoid midrange shots.  Gee, thanks, I wasn't aware of that salient point.  I'll try to stay better informed in the future.
    • On Aldridge: I don't know that I particularly have a problem with Houston's coverage.  I agree that you can't double because the last thing you want is to free up those Blazers outside shooters.  And to his credit, Asik has done about as much as anyone could possibly expect.  He's fought Aldridge to his spots, pushed him out, denied driving lanes, and contested.  Aldridge has just killed him.  There is nothing you can do to stop a guy when he is hitting 19 foot fadeaways with a 7 footer draped all over him.  Except....
    • Would it kill Kevin McHale to switch things up every now and then?  I agree with not doubling on every play.  But why not send different looks every now and then the way the Blazers have done with Howard or the way every average to above average coach since the history of professional sports has done in the face of daunting situations...?  Just send a double every now and then, or after he makes his move, to throw off his rhythm.  Would it kill anyone to just try that?
    • It should be properly recognized what Aldridge is doing right now: he has single handedly decimated two of the top five interior defenders in basketball, in concert.  It is pretty much the exact equivalent of taking Dennis Rodman and David Robinson to the woodshed.  That actually puts Dream's accomplishments in '95 in perspective as he did it over the course of an entire series, not just two games.  And that's why I expect Aldridge to regress to the mean.
    • There are higher level philosophical problems with the Rockets right now which will need to be addressed over the summer but which, if inspected, should evoke no surprise as to their current plight.  To begin, I began having slight doubts this year about the "3's and inside shots" only philosophy as evidence seemed to mount that it was more of a lowest common denominator launchpad to lift a mediocre team to respectability rather than to lift a good team to elite status.  To put this as simply as possible, as the stakes rise, and the competition gets better, those 3's and paint shots are harder to come by, and open pockets on the court must be sought out.  It's how Lebron won the title in Game 7 after the Spurs took away his driving lanes.  I don't think the Rockets can win a title without midrange shots, but, of more immediate relevance, for a team which relies upon the 3 point shot, they don't have good shooters.  Harden struggled all year before his late burst, and Parsons (he of the awkward release where it looks like the ball is coming off the side of his hand) is the epitome of 'streaky.'  What's happening probably shouldn't come as a surprise but again, we have all summer to discuss the philosophical underpinnings.  For now, I'd like to see Troy Daniels get a shot because Houston desperately needs someone who can knock down a shot, on the court.
    • Moreso than the shooting, a greater problem regarding which I've been writing for some time is that Houston has no set offense.  Bill Simmons famously said "when I watch Houston play, it almost looks like they don't even practice...as if they just roll out the ball and play."  And the remembrance of that quotation is conjured upon every single possession late in the fourth quarter.  Make no mistake, the Houston offense has been a complete and utter disaster.
    • Houston runs a read-and-react where, rather than running set plays, players are expected to react to circumstances within the defense to make the right play with the ball.  It can be beautiful, in theory, and typically is beautiful early in games when the pressure is off.  But my thesis is, essentially unless you have inherently smart players, or veteran players, they can't be expected to make volitional decisions during pressure situations because inevitably, said pressure will interfere with their decision-making processes.  That's why so often, f***, during every single close game, the Rockets offense looks so out of sorts with players holding the ball, unsure of what to do.  It's not that the players are inherently selfish or that they don't know what they are supposed to be doing...it's that the pressure gets to them and when the expectation is to make a decision, they crumble mentally.  That's why, so often, f***, during every single game, the end result is just James Harden taking it upon himself and trying to bull his way in.  He's the only one with the fortitude to try something (or maybe the only one not scared to get yelled at if he messes up.)  Late in the year, Harden was so damn brilliant that he was able to just lift the team by doing this.  But in the playoffs, against better competition, it hasn't been possible.  It won't be possible in the future in coming years, if the Rockets somehow survive this.  The solution is not to "just move the ball, guys, move the ball" as Kevin McHale offers.  Again, the players are not inherently selfish.  The solution is to have some muscle memory action where players don't have to think and can just know what to do because they've done it a million times.  If you're a young player, you have to know, "okay, this is what we did in practice every day, this is what I do here," and just go through that motion and things will run smoothly.  Read-and-react is well and great if you have 5 Magic Johnsons.  But for a young team, I don't think this philosophy is going to work.  Players have to have something they can turn to which has already been ingrained.  I've bolded this entire paragraph because I feel, if you are to take away anything from this piece, I want it to be this.
    • Good grief, it's depressing that we are here discussing thematic philosophical issues rather than the series itself.  I didn't think it would come to this, but it has.  This series is likely over.
    • I can't think of too many examples on par with last night of a team coming out completely unprepared to play basketball.  Some of those late sequences in the fourth were downright embarrassing.  There was a span of plays where, in succession, Houston gave up a fastbreak layup after a made free throw, Jeremy Lin inexplicably fouled when the Rockets were down just '3' with 30 seconds remaining, and then Harden got called for an offensive foul after another joke of a play out of a timeout.  Downright embarrassing.  When you look that bad repeatedly late in games, coaching is the only culprit and right now, the Rockets have looked as if they haven't even been coached.  You can bet Kevin McHale will be gone if/when Houston goes on to lose this series, so perhaps that might be somewhat of a silver lining.  Entering the postseason, one of the unspoken fears among many was that coaching would be Houston's achilles heel....I just thought it would be in the next round against Poppovich and not so soon.  McHale has his qualities: the players respect him and he's a leader of men, yada yada yada, but again, like the mid-range commentary, when the stakes are raised, you need a tactician, not a motivational speaker.  The Rockets just can't win like this right now.  Even Jordan and Kobe needed the triangle.  Even Lebron needed Spoelstra reinventing the Heat offense.  You just can't roll the ball out, clap, and expect to win.  You just can't.  This league is too damn hard.
    • To hammer home that point above, when a guy commits a foul in a one possession game with more than 24 seconds left on the game clock, that's symptomatic of nothing else but poor coaching.  It's as simple as that.  It is as simple as that.  No communication, no awareness, nothing.
    • Why have we not seen the Howard-Harden pick and roll, the play which was essentially Houston's selling point to Dwight Howard this summer during their pitch?  Howard is too liable to get fouled, you say?  Then why haven't we seen the Lin-Harden pick and roll?  That latter play was one which had shockingly efficient results during the year and as recently as...GAME ONE...why didn't we see it again?
    • I had hoped to break down some film for this piece, but I'm running short on time.  But I'll leave you all with this: I don't think this series will end in a sweep.  Houston is too damn talented, individually, despite how poorly they are coached.  Both Harden and Aldridge will revert closer to the mean, shifting Houston's odds.  The question now, as loath as I am to give in to platitude, becomes one of pride.  Houston has the talent to at least win another game.  But have they given up or will they continue fighting?  While expecting tactical adjustments from McHale might be a bit much to ask for, there is precedent for drastic personnel changes.  See the playoffs last year where he went to the small lineup.  Right now, I think you'll see them change the lineup up because at this point, they have nothing to lose.  This series is most likely over but Houston has to keep fighting until the very end.  They have the talent to pull this off as daunting as the odds may seem.

#2 Rockets911

Rockets911

• Members
    • Pip
    • 23 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

Stagnant offense, when did we become a post up Dwight offense? What Barkley said was right and Rahat. It wasn't sustainable and it too Harden (he's just flat out horrific right now 14/47 in 2 games?), Chandler (tad but horrible under Harden), and Lin (who just seems to shoot spot up 3's and waits in the corner watching Harden and Parsons miss everything). Can we see a 1_2 pick n roll?

No adjustments on defense. Was that the adjustment to make? Just play Asik on Aldridge? Can we even call that an adjustment? Can you try a double team? Atleast try? Do something!!

Series is done without drastic measures. Me personally, I'm throwing Lin in the starting lineup, and running PnR all day 1_2, 1_4, 1_5? I don't care, nothing else is working anyway. Only time we really had energy is when Lin was making plays, assists, breaking down the defense. And when Dwight was going off. Other then that, what was a bright spot for the offense?

#3 dbd

dbd

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 56 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

It is too late to change philosophy, so we must continue doing what worked in regular season.

- Howard in the post

- Harden/Howard PNR

- Harden/LIN PNR

- Shoot 3 if opportunity present

At this point, we might have to play like a soccer team which down 0-2 with no time left. Go all out assault, send in drivers like Lin and shooters like Daniels.  

#4 John P

John P

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 84 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

I am trying to write something about how I feel........................................ Sorry but that pause was me scream obscene things inside my head.

Barkley was absolutely right...I am glad Dwight came out hammering. Its fine for a play or two....but when the whole system's success depends on ball movement and sharing the love all over the team. Dwight demanding his only gets us so far.

I think the overall point is correct of the article. It is all about coaching at this point. I do have a feeling that the personalities are not there to have a true, on court general. Lin and Howard have confidence issues and Harden hasn't learned that skill yet. But with no on court general, we need a great coach. McHale looks as if he is not up to the job.

But if you think about it, who are you going to replace him with? A Van Gundy? Is there any other really great coach out there? With Aldeman retiring...and probably not wanting to come back, is there another great, proven mind that can be gotten to lead the team? Mike Woodson? D'Antoni? Kenny Smith? ...we need a coach ready for prime time. the Van Gundys are the only ones I can think of that fit that bill

#5 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
          • 272 posts
          • LocationAbilene

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

The past few days have been the most frustrating I've experienced as a fan of the Rockets. I lay awake for three hours Sunday night, unable to sleep due to replaying moments that could have swung the game. Desperately trying to convince myself it was an aberration. Wishing I could stop seeing Dwight's sixth foul on loop each time I closed my eyes.

Last night, I drifted to sleep quickly, resigned to the knowledge that Houston is likely going to flame out in the first round. One of my biggest regrets is that, as someone who voraciously reads/listens to hoops news and commentary all year, if we lose I'm staring at twelve months of "The Rockets aren't contenders until they prove it in the playoffs," "Dwight Howard made a mistake by moving to Houston," and "Harden just isn't as good as we thought he was," until we get an opportunity to flip the script next season. That's not a pleasant thought.

Which brings me to where I am today. I still have hope. I think there's a good chance we pull out a victory in Game 3, which would make Game 4 pivotal. I can still see a way out of this hole. Aldridge can't stay this hot and Harden can't stay this cold, right? Because I'd really like to see a win. 

#6 linonlyfan

linonlyfan

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 56 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

Unless the series turns around completely we are heading for a coaching change. (even then the lack of progress on fundamental principle building may make it happen anyway)

The only real candidates I think are on the table who have the knowledge, pedigree and are available are the van Gundy's. This is messy, Daryl Morey fired Jeff van Gundy for failing to get out of the 1st round in the playoffs and Dwight Howard abused Orlando's lack of spine to get Stan van Gundy fired, which Stan called him on in the most cringeworthy news conference outside reality TV. Stan and Dwight still stay in touch apparently and maybe having seen Stan take him the furthest in his career he will give it a 2nd shot? I can't see the Rockets taking on a newer coach as the stakes are quite high now, this roster is good enough to contend.

I only hope for now that the Rockets can find some mental fortitude and go execute better in Game 3. Otherwise the level of embarrassment will go up even more.

#7 Texan Ensemble

Texan Ensemble

• Members
            • Pip
            • 39 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

McHale and Kubiak must have gone to the same coaching school.

I had a long comment a few weeks ago about our lack of mid-range jumpers, with stats. We need to start shooting more mid-range jumpers.

I was at the game, and all I can say is that Harden did not once look locked in. Not once did he seem energized. Not once did Harden seem like he understood the significance of the game, nor how to make any kind of positive impact.

I will still be watching game three with all the hope in the world, but this is Houston...

#8 webattorney

webattorney

• Members
              • Pip
              • 44 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

http://www.oregonliv...ail_blazer.html

Character of the players matter, especially the leaders of the team.  Rockets just not ready with Harden at the helm. 

#9 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 64 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

What more can be said? This hurts bad. Just gotta have hope, and pray that the team at least shows some fight ending out this series. I agree that McHale is gone if we lose this series. I just don't understand how Harden is so out of it in the playoffs. The team has worked so hard all season to get to this point, and now he just checks out in the playoffs?! We need to throw Daniels out there. We can't shoot better than 20% from the 3, and its not like our D is going to get any worse with him on the court. Also why hasn't D-mo seen a single minute so far? Hamilton? Anyone that can make a darn shot! 

#10 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
                • 1,833 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

Good post Drew, I can relate to some of that.

I agree with most of what you are writing Rahat. I know many are putting this on McHale but I think it's bigger than that though he is closer to his end as a Rockets coach than his beginning, yes I am coming around some on him. I am guessing the root of many of the problems are the philosophies of Morey but it has to be hard to know what is really going on behind the scenes. I know Morey didn't want a coach who was running an organized offense with some set plays as evidenced by his switch from Adelman to McHale. I know Morey must be drilling his stats above all else philosophy into the players and staff and pumping it through every locker room/work out room screen in Toyota center. Even after the game (Tom Haberstroh via Twitter: On postgame notes distributed by the Rockets' staff, one line reads "Rockets are 0-6 in the playoffs when Harden attempts 19 or more FGAs."). I am beginning to think the parts put together and the philosophy worked up to a point but this team is going to need experience, an updated version of the offense and an entirely new approach on defense.

I think McHale might have been a better fit had there been more veterans on this team. I am still not sure.

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 2,859 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

Wow, let the bloodbath begin.

"Off with their heads!"  This was Lewis Carroll pointing out the reactionary/irrational nature of humanity.  The whole time the "little king" is following behind her quietly suggesting that she stop and think/consider for a moment, but in her rage she hears nothing and continues with her demands for blood.  Someone must be held accountable for my displeasure!!!!!!

I am not looking forward to this being our forums for the coming months.  I will understand, but perhaps people will at least consider listening to that other little voice in their heads for a bit.

Nobody likes what is happening in this series.  Yet, to presume change would exercise some kind of control over the situation and produce a different result is as nutty as the idea that repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting a different result is wise.  Life happens and we are 2 games into a way-off-script playoff series.

What is McHale supposed to do?  "James, how about you start making some of those shots, huh?  You too Chandler!"  "Omer, if you could just rip Aldridge's arms off at the shoulder I think we can slow him down a bit."  "Guys, you can't let Dorrell Wright pick a pass up off his shoelaces and go directly into a contested, buzzer-beating 3 pointer!"  "Yeah, if you guys could make it more obvious who touches the ball last before it goes out of bounds that would be great too...."

Things are ugly right now and I know people are frustrated.  Let's try and wait until the series ends before the executioners come out.

#12 yyy123

yyy123

• Members
                • Pip
                • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

Harden looked like he wanted to draw fouls every time he took a jump shot. When he didn't get the call, he had to shoot out of sync.

#13 uojoe82

uojoe82

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 56 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

Houston's problem isn't Lamarcus Aldridge, or even James Harden, its Coach McHale. 

Everything in Huq's Pen I agree with 100%. I said all year long that McHale would be the weak link come playoffs. Terry Stotts has made all the right moves and Mchale hasn't made any moves (which has been the wrong move). 

McHale coaches this team like a baseball manager,not a basketball coach. It's called late game "execution" because it implies that your'e executing some predetermined play. Everything late in the game was about how do we get Harden the ball so he can save us. Well the entire world knows that play and the Blazers defend that pretty well now which isn't a surprise considering this was the 6th match-up this year between the 2 teams. 

Plan A has failed and Mchale has failed in developing a plan B. Watching D12  go bonkers in quarter 1 was great however the whole time I knew it wasn't sustainable. You need to score about 108 points to beat the blazers and Dwight wasn't going to go all Wilt Chamberlain on them. In the second half he started missing and when the blazers would start doubling and instead of passing out to open shooters which Dwight should do he forced up bad shots.

However you can't really criticize D12 too much, he gave a performance worthy of a win (had the other "super" star participated).

Mchale's limitations are being exploited at the worst possible time. He is being outcoached and he doesnt even know it. Listening to the post game news conference he sounded defeated however he never once took accountability, its was only "we need to set better picks for Harden". Really? Your gameplan for the future is how do we get Harden more shots? All his eggs are in Harden's basket but he hasn't given Harden and instructions on what to do. Instead he's relying on Harden to make the right decisions.

The bright spot in losing in round 1 will be having a new coach. Here is my list of who I'd like to see. The list of coaches who are better than him is much longer so that list can wait.

-Jeff Van Gundy

-George Carl

-Any of Gregg Popovich's assistants

-Tom Izzo

-Fred Hoiberg

-Tom Thibadeau

-Nate McMillan

-Mike D'Antoni (at least he knows how to coach and win with players who dont play D)

-Lawrence Frank

-Rudy Tomjonavich (so what if he's retired)

On a side note, wouldn't it be great if the NBA had a player loan program like European soccer. This way for the first month of next season the Rockets could loan Harden to the bulls so Harden could learn how to play defense. Or if McHale is still around the Rockets could loan Mchale to the Spurs so he could see what a play looks like.

#14 linonlyfan

linonlyfan

Rookie

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 56 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

I actually think its a fit in terms of time issue also, McHale is a good coach for a young exciting team who wants to do well in the regular season and make a bit of noise in the playoffs, which is where Houston has been up till this year. He is a players coach who can create a positive atmosphere, in part running a freelance offense and focusing on developing skills vs a system. Unfortunately with Howard coming on board that whole build phase in terms of roster is done and we need to get to the next level. The bar is very very high on championship coaches and it just feels like this is the direction the team has to go. 

Even if its Morey's idea that run and gun should work, I think this season should be something of a learning experience for him as well.

Im not sure about overreaction, I think the most damning thing is that everything we saw that we didn't like in the last 2 games has been present throughout the season in spurts. Should McHale be given another summer with the team to be introspective and learn what they didn't do right so we can get another training camp and regular season to get better? Arguably yes. But somehow I feel a first round failure, featuring weaknesses which have been apparent through the year sends us to ending the McHale era.

I know JG put out a great list of flukey Portland moments. But when Dwight was killing Portland in the 1st Quarter we just couldn't get a stop. Not good. 

Who knows maybe suddenly we will be back in Houston 2-2 in the series. That would be amazing for entertainment and quiet some of the executioners. Despite the negativity of forums, the team needs to come together. The series isn't over and there is a job to do. The mistakes the team is making are clear and they need to find the collective mental fortitude to address those issues consistently. Find a bunker mentality and get that team spirit forged in the adversity of Portland. Come ON ROCKETS!!!

#15 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                      • 2,859 posts
                      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

tumblr_static_tumblr_m8d0kayo3f1rb1baco1

*This was for uojoe82's comment...not the more rational one above.

#16 uojoe82

uojoe82

Rookie

• Members
                      • PipPip
                      • 56 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

Wow, let the bloodbath begin.

"Off with their heads!"  This was Lewis Carroll pointing out the reactionary/irrational nature of humanity.  The whole time the "little king" is following behind her quietly suggesting that she stop and think/consider for a moment, but in her rage she hears nothing and continues with her demands for blood.  Someone must be held accountable for my displeasure!!!!!!

I am not looking forward to this being our forums for the coming months.  I will understand, but perhaps people will at least consider listening to that other little voice in their heads for a bit.

Nobody likes what is happening in this series.  Yet, to presume change would exercise some kind of control over the situation and produce a different result is as nutty as the idea that repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting a different result is wise.  Life happens and we are 2 games into a way-off-script playoff series.

What is McHale supposed to do?  "James, how about you start making some of those shots, huh?  You too Chandler!"  "Omer, if you could just rip Aldridge's arms off at the shoulder I think we can slow him down a bit."  "Guys, you can't let Dorrell Wright pick a pass up off his shoelaces and go directly into a contested, buzzer-beating 3 pointer!"  "Yeah, if you guys could make it more obvious who touches the ball last before it goes out of bounds that would be great too...."

Things are ugly right now and I know people are frustrated.  Let's try and wait until the series ends before the executioners come out.

This is sound advice but its hard to hear after last nights debacle. This is the team the Rockets wanted to face but as Mark Stein tweeted last night " the Blazers wanted the Rockets as well".

I will admit that Mchale is a better coach then anyone on this forum and I'm not even sure a good coach couldve beaten the blazers last night. I think we are focusing on what the Rockets did wrong, not what the Blazers did right.

I was worried when Rockets fans were rejoicing when the blazers locked up the 5th seed. As Ive seen a lot of Blazer games this year this team has the feel of the Mav's championship team. Everyone likes each other and they have great chemistry. This team looks a lot like the team that had the best record in the NBA for the first 2 1/2 months this year. 

The blazers have now won something crazy like 11 out of the last 12 games going back to the reg season. And it wasn't like they were beating up on teams with nothing to play for, (Warriors, Bulls, Grizzlies). 

Lamarcus was a legit #3 MVP candidate had injuries not cost him about 15 games this year. Before the series you could have an interesting debate on what team has the best two players. Its pretty obvious it isnt the Rockets. 

#17 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                        • 2,859 posts
                        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:48 PM

This is sound advice but its hard to hear after last nights debacle. This is the team the Rockets wanted to face but as Mark Stein tweeted last night " the Blazers wanted the Rockets as well".

I will admit that Mchale is a better coach then anyone on this forum and I'm not even sure a good coach couldve beaten the blazers last night. I think we are focusing on what the Rockets did wrong, not what the Blazers did right.

I was worried when Rockets fans were rejoicing when the blazers locked up the 5th seed. As Ive seen a lot of Blazer games this year this team has the feel of the Mav's championship team. Everyone likes each other and they have great chemistry. This team looks a lot like the team that had the best record in the NBA for the first 2 1/2 months this year. 

The blazers have now won something crazy like 11 out of the last 12 games going back to the reg season. And it wasn't like they were beating up on teams with nothing to play for, (Warriors, Bulls, Grizzlies). 

Lamarcus was a legit #3 MVP candidate had injuries not cost him about 15 games this year. Before the series you could have an interesting debate on what team has the best two players. Its pretty obvious it isnt the Rockets. 

Good points.  Welcome to the Western Conference, where the seeding doesn't matter and every team would be a #3 seed in the East! (or better...)

Edit: Just went to confirm my statement.  Did you know Indy (#1 in East) would be the #4 seed in the West?  Houston, Portland, and Miami all have the same record?  We'd be the freakin' #2 seed in the East.  Wow.  That is all.

#18 PKM

PKM

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 119 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

Really? Your gameplan for the future is how do we get Harden more shots? All his eggs are in Harden's basket but he hasn't given Harden and instructions on what to do. Instead he's relying on Harden to make the right decisions.

Not more shots, better shots aka. "better screens" like your own post said.  And uh, yes, I would expect the Rockets to implement strategies to get Harden more into the game, they're not beating the Blazers otherwise.

#19 MrLobble

MrLobble

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 46 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

The next coach for the Houston Rockets: Billy Donovan ;)

#20 RocketMansinceStevieFrance

RocketMansinceStevieFrance

Rookie

• Members
                            • PipPip
                            • 56 posts
                            • LocationAltus, Oklahoma

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

All the Rockets have to do is play defense.... Obviously easier then it sounds lol but if they would just focus on their defense, than kick it to dwight in the post every once in a while they will be fine. I honestly think if they can run the blazers up and down the court for 3 quarters which they have not done we can get back into this series. Harden is obviously thinking about his shot to much you could see it in the first 5 he took. If he would just use the pick and rolls and play freely he will be fine. The blazers have learned his driving tactics and that is obvious seeing he has not been to the free throw nearly as much as he usually is. 

I also think Mchale is lost, Lin fouling with 28 seconds left was down right embarrassing if I am the coach, during timeouts you have to be letting your players know all the situations that can occur and what to do. Those guys get so caught up playing the game that they forgot about certain stuff that is why it is the coachES jobs to keep every player aware of what is going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users