Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Buckko : (15 April 2014 - 05:22 AM) Hope we can get him back in the offseason, he was just signed for the rest of the offseason.
@  jorgeaam : (15 April 2014 - 04:16 AM) Bulls release Tornike Shengelia and sign Greg Smith, well, that didn't take long
@  Cooper : (15 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) nice win. Dwight looks like he's ready go. Bev's still a little rusty but he should be fine.
@  Sir Thursday : (14 April 2014 - 10:24 PM) Thanks huang, that's useful knowledge :).
@  08huangj : (14 April 2014 - 01:15 AM) I've watched a lot of his games
@  08huangj : (14 April 2014 - 01:15 AM) Guys, I live in Guangzhou. Just in case you didn't notice, Powell was in Guangzhou playing with the tigers before he came to the Rockets. No midrange shot. Good rebounder. Bad defender. Good at attacking the rim. This is my summary for his time at Guangzhou.
@  Cooper : (13 April 2014 - 11:16 PM) hes 6-9 so id guess more of a pf but it doesn't really matter either way I guess.
@  Buckko : (13 April 2014 - 11:02 PM) Not really, you seen his season averages? Not pretty.
@  Sir Thursday : (13 April 2014 - 10:18 PM) He's more of a PF, I thought. You could always make the specious "RINGZZZ!" argument, since he won two with the Lakers...
@  Buckko : (13 April 2014 - 09:04 PM) Waived Pittman, signed Josh Powell. I don't really get why they signed a scrub SF.
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:41 AM) In the postgame interview, Bev said he was alright, but it looked iffy...
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:40 AM) Not watching the game. Just looking at the play-by-plays.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) Rockets win!
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) Oh gosh, I hope Beverley isn't hurt again... He was taken out in the last few seconds limping after falling and looking like he hurt his right knee...
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) yep
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:35 AM) Harden, Lin, and Beverley all coming up big in these last few clutch minutes.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:01 AM) And why is Parsons missing?
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:00 AM) If Rockets don't get better soon, they are not going to be the fourth seed in the western conference.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 01:59 AM) Howard and Beverley are both back, but look at the scoreboard: They are losing by 12 points to the Pelicans. What a dissapointment
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 01:55 AM) I don't agree with blaming McHale for the end of this season. He's been missing two starters which has been a huge blow, and has been trying to not ride other major players too hard right before the playoffs.

Photo

Kevin Martin and Timberwolves clutch woes - Fun stats

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 majik19

majik19

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

This topic isn't current-Rocket related, but it does have to do with former Rocket Kevin Martin. I read an article today detailing the Timberwolves' difficulty in the clutch (fun stat - they have been outscored by double in the last minute of 3 points or less games, resulting in a 7-18 record in these situations).

Tom Haberstroh of ESPN looked back at some of the worst teams in these situations and found a common thread: Kevin Martin:

"But that was before the All-Star break when I ran those numbers. Chew on this one: Of the seven worst teams in superclutch plus-minus since 1997, four of them employed Martin.

But ever since he became a go-to scorer in 2006-07, Martin's teams have been outscored by a staggering 37 points every 48 minutes with him on the floor in these clutch situations. A total of 99 players have seen at least 100 superclutch minutes over that time, and no one has fared worse on the scoreboard than Martin."

(By the way, the four teams were the 06-07 Kings, 08-09 Kings, this year's MIN team, and the 10-11 Rockets). 

This isn't a surprise who watched the Rockets during the "Kevin Martin" years. We all know how bad he is on defense, and how much he struggled to score when the refs swallowed their whistles. I think I've seen some of this from Harden too, but not nearly to Martin's extreme, and he plays better defense in the last minute because he focuses better. 

Just remember - we traded one year of him (and others) for Harden. Reason #897 why Morey destroyed Presti in that trade. 

Edited by majik19, 14 April 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#2 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 969 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

Twolves problem is they don't have anyone that can score off the dribble and its easy to double team Love with Rubio's, Brewer's or Peks guy depending on the situation.

#3 thenit

thenit

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 493 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

The main issue with Min is that when K Love sits. There is a discrepancy when he is resting. So what happens is that he builds up a lead the bench would put them in a big hole. If Minny had a good bench or respectable one, they would have made the playoffs.

#4 PhillyCheese

PhillyCheese

• Members
        • Pip
        • 49 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

I thought Alexey Shved would be a good playmaker for them, but it seems he has done little. JJ Barea is not cutting it.  Bad management has not helped them build a better all around team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users