Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  DenverRocket : (03 June 2016 - 01:17 AM) JBB has gone to the Grizzlies as an associate head coach according to ESPN
@  majik19 : (02 June 2016 - 03:04 PM) the irony in Les saying that he didn't want to go through a learning curve - WCF: Kerr (2nd year) vs. Donovan (1st year, ECF: Lue (1st year) vs. Casey (experienced). Hmmmmm
@  majik19 : (01 June 2016 - 11:21 PM) looks like we did hire Jeff Bzdelik, so I hope that's a good sign. Quote from him: "He can defend as all of them can when they want to and that goes back to everybody needs to be committed and there needs to be a trust."
@  majik19 : (01 June 2016 - 07:46 PM) i think playing fast will be good for the team - too many players are uncomfortable in half court sets but are good in transition.
@  slick shoes : (01 June 2016 - 07:33 PM) He is also of the belief that many players were playing outside of their offensive roles last season which made them give less than 100% on the defensive end. He aims to fit our current/future players to their roles and then the defense will follow.
@  slick shoes : (01 June 2016 - 07:23 PM) Takeaways: Pringles was chosen by ownership, NOT management. Les wants to play fast. The ball will still stop in James Harden's hands with frequency.
@  slick shoes : (01 June 2016 - 03:50 PM) Will anyone else be watching the 'Antoni introduction?
@  thejohnnygold : (31 May 2016 - 02:37 PM) It's tough to say...he plays it pretty close to the vest. Plus, there will be no shortage of suitors...as in every single team.
@  Mario Peña : (31 May 2016 - 02:14 AM) Westbrook looks a little out of control tonight. Maybe that will annoy Durant. Maybe Harden will look more appealing if the Thunder lose. I know it's a dream.
@  slick shoes : (27 May 2016 - 12:38 PM) I doubt it. He is what he is at this point IMO. 'Antoni won't make him a better player.
@  majik19 : (26 May 2016 - 11:28 PM) i wonder if Harden missing all NBA will motivate him to play some defense... (he deserved at least 3rd team based on offense alone).
@  slick shoes : (26 May 2016 - 09:50 PM) anyone coming with me to the Spurs board?
@  majik19 : (26 May 2016 - 09:25 PM) Calvin Watkins just reported D'Antoni as coach... ugh.
@  slick shoes : (23 May 2016 - 12:24 PM) The worst part about Green is that he tries to play that nice guy role à la Reggie Miller.
@  Mario Peña : (23 May 2016 - 02:00 AM) Im quite pleased the Thunder are decimating the Warriors.
@  Mario Peña : (23 May 2016 - 12:54 AM) I cannot stand Draymond Green. I don't like him in any way. That dude is cheap and he's one of the main reasons I really don't like the Warriors.
@  majik19 : (21 May 2016 - 05:28 PM) no need to rush it now - only one other opening to compete with, and no first round draft pick to get input on.
@  Mario Peña : (21 May 2016 - 02:19 PM) SteinyMo reporting James Borrego from Pop's bench is now getting a look. Wow just wow.
@  majik19 : (20 May 2016 - 09:32 PM) I saw that report. Silas seems like a swing for the fences move, but isn't he exactly like JBB? Harden didn't respond to JBB, why would he respond to another longtime coach's son?
@  Mario Peña : (20 May 2016 - 07:29 PM) So Watkins is reporting its between D'Antoni and Silas.

Photo

Welcome to Limbo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

New post: Welcome to Limbo
    By: Forrest Walker

As the season draws to a close and the excitement of the Playoffs looms just around the corner, the Houston Rockets and their fans are entering into a bizarre, gray space. This is a place reserved almost exclusively for teams good enough to sit near the top of the standings (and teams that aren't tanking but miss the playoffs badly), and is one of the few downsides of such a season. The Rockets are passing into limbo, a period of time in which the games don’t matter. It won’t last long, it won’t be very exciting, and it’s easy to get frustrated. The thing to remember is that everything is fine… even if they drop some games you think they shouldn’t.

Heading into Monday morning, the Rockets sit atop a pile of 51 wins (and 25 losses), the last win coming from a strange limbo meeting with the Denver Nuggets. The Rockets are two losses behind the Los Angeles Clippers for the third spot and three losses ahead of the Portland Trail Blazers for the five seed. Due to how many games each team has left, this means that the Rockets are all but locked into the 4 seed. There are games left, and there are wins to tally, but the consequences are all but gone. This is the void. This is the calm, and the storm isn’t coming for 13 days.

The Clippers’ “magic number” for clinching the third seed is now 2, which means that they need a combination of Clippers wins and Rockets losses equaling 2 for the rest of the season to assure that Houston can’t pass them. The Thunder, as an aside, also have a magic number of 2 over the Rockets, and the Spurs are already uncatchable by Houston. Unless the Clippers were to lose at least 3 of their remaining 4 games, Houston can’t catch up. Houston’s 3 seed hopes are liable to continue for a few more days, but there’s just little to no chance of moving up any more.

The Blazers, for their part, are gamely hanging around, making it ever more likely that Houston meets them in the first round. With the Blazers behind by 3 in the loss column, things get hairy on that end, too. Houston has the tiebreaker over Portland, meaning that the Blazers have to hope the Rockets fall to at least 29 losses, and that’s assuming that the Blazers win the rest of their games, including games against Golden State and the Clippers. Houston’s magic number against the Blazers is 4, and in case it matters, their number over the 6th seed Warriors is 2.

Even if, somehow, the Rockets were to let the Blazers creep back into the fourth seed, the only effect that would have is a loss of home court advantage in the first round, something the Rockets don’t want to give up but which they aren’t depending upon.

What does all this mean? It means that there’s no realistic way that the Rockets can move up or down the standings, especially after another win. What does that mean? That means that the games do nothing. Once those magic numbers have been activated (and they will), The Rockets will face a few games with no bearing on anything whatsoever. The only possible ramification at this point is whether the Rockets would host the Pacers or vice versa in a hypothetical Finals matchup.

The real downside is injury and rest. The Rockets have some injured players and some players who could use a spot of rest. It may feel defeatist and create uncomfortable overtime situations when the Rockets sit and rest key players, but that’s better than having there be a chance of injury or other unhappy surprise. As they press on through Limbo, expect the Rockets to start resting players like James Harden and Chandler Parsons, two important pieces that need to be fresh and healthy come later this month.

Limbo may feel boring, frustrating and pointless, but it’s actually a boon. When in Limbo, teams get to rest, to experiment with benches and rotations. Winning is immaterial for the first time in months, and it’s hard to see them skirt close to losses. Putting numbers in the wins column is fun, and good for morale, and it’s surely better than piling losses, but none of that matters in Limbo. The only thing that matters here, in the edges of Limbo and beyond, is what lies on the other side of this two week period. The only thing that matters now is the Playoffs. Limbo is just a pit stop.

#2 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 176 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

This article is right on point.  The Rockets play 4 games over the next 5 days.  The Blazers on the other hand only have 4 games until the playoffs start on April 19/20.  That's a huge difference, and I'd be sorely tempted to hold Parsons and Harden out for at least one of the next four and severely limit their minutes in back to backs. 

I do disagree somewhat about 4 vs. 5 seedings.  I think it increases the risk of a first round exit quite a bit if you don't have home court.  I am not sure if the statistics bear me out on this one, but it's a gut instinct.

#3 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,008 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

Rather play the Spurs anyways. Might not have Tony Parker for the playoffs. Having an MRI today.

#4 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 236 posts
        • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

Even with Parker, we match up very well with the Spurs.  It'll be a good test on the 14th, just to make sure we're fit and able.  Assuming they don't sit their starters.

#5 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 222 posts
        • LocationIsrael

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

Historic perspective: the last time the Rockets had home-court advantage in the first round was 1996-1997, finishing 3rd in the west with a 57-25 record.

#6 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 176 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Yes, 1996-97. Future HOF'ers at three starting positions, but unable to overcome the point guard situation - a bewildered rookie and a defensively challenged veteran. Uh-oh. . .

#7 BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden

• Members
          • Pip
          • 32 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:51 AM

Good win, some rest for all the starters, Garcia hopefully getting some confidence going into playoffs, minutes to Canaan and Motiejunas. I think I like limbo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users