Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  feelingsuper... : (31 March 2014 - 03:34 AM) So good to see the Warriors lose at home. I despise that team and it's fans.
@  08huangj : (31 March 2014 - 03:31 AM) for Paul
@  08huangj : (31 March 2014 - 03:31 AM) In the meeting before this one, Bev controlled Paul pretty well:14 points, 9 assists
@  thenit : (30 March 2014 - 03:06 AM) Just deflating to get dominated by the clips during the season. With or without bev we just can't stop paul
@  08huangj : (30 March 2014 - 02:35 AM) Nobody ever writes in this forum when the Rockets lose...
@  Drew in Abilene : (28 March 2014 - 05:23 PM) No way... I've never wanted Woj to be wrong more than now...
@  Ostrow : (28 March 2014 - 05:10 PM) Welp, according to Woj, Beverly has a torn MCL
@  feelingsuper... : (28 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) I think whether they win or lose more down the stretch the Blazers doubt in themselves has set in. It appears they lost the mental game versus the 82 game schedule.
@  Drew in Abilene : (28 March 2014 - 02:00 AM) I hear you, Mitchell, but I sure don't mind seeing them get the W tonight.
@  thenit : (28 March 2014 - 12:58 AM) Bev sprained his knee hopefully it's a light one
@  Mitchell Felker : (27 March 2014 - 11:57 PM) Its weird rooting for Portland
@  rocketrick : (27 March 2014 - 01:30 PM) Prior to 1966, Cousy rarely played against any African-American players and of course by then his career was set in stone. Discrimination or Just History?
@  rocketrick : (27 March 2014 - 12:30 PM) So I endorse completely that the Rockets strive for the #2 Seed so that the Rockets have home court advantage in WCSF this season.
@  rocketrick : (27 March 2014 - 12:28 PM) Thus who the Rockets play 1st and hopefully 2nd round is absolutely unknown no matter where the Rockets end up in the Standings at this moment...
@  rocketrick : (27 March 2014 - 12:16 PM) What I meant to say is nobody knows who is 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 seeds. Everything up for grabs....
@  rocketrick : (27 March 2014 - 12:05 PM) West Playoffs 1-4 are set. 5-8 is everyone's best guess. Except nobody knows who is 2-8.
@  dbd : (27 March 2014 - 12:02 PM) Woke up early, checked last night scores, Chris Paul went 0-12, I thought I was in my dream.
@  Cooper : (26 March 2014 - 03:02 AM) The west playoffs are going to be a lot less predictable than usual, you could make a logical argument for each team being able to win a series or two.
@  Drew in Abilene : (26 March 2014 - 02:55 AM) Memphis would certainly pose a challenge in the first round... Though I think I might still prefer a first round series vs the Grizzlies and second round vs. the Spurs as opposed to a one-two punch of Golden State or Portland then the Thunder.
@  Dan G : (26 March 2014 - 01:00 AM) There's even a chance that Memphis moves up to the 5th seed and that would be horrible for us if we stay the 4th seed.

Photo

A look at the Houston Rockets' schedule for the week of February 9 through February 16

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 988 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

New post: A look at the Houston Rockets' schedule for the week of February 9 through February 16
    By: rahat huq

The Houston Rockets start the week out tomorrow with a game at Charlotte against the Bobcats regarding which, in normal times, I'd be very afraid.  But while disappointing losses against the Thunder, Bulls, and Heat proved this team isn't yet a legit, legit contender, the team's overall dominance since the New Year has sufficed to indicate that at the least, they have turned a corner.  They are no longer in the business of dropping games to inferior opponents.  That in itself is a pretty big accomplishment (though these recent late-game collapses are rather disturbing.)

The team then comes back home on Thursday to face the 76ers in a game which should be over by the four minute mark of the first quarter.  For all of the ridicule that Philly has endured this season regarding their season, I'd submit that apart from the top teams in basketball, no club has pursued a more rational course of action during the past twelve months than the 76ers.  I haven't kept up, but after widespread negativity and skepticism on behalf of the mainstream Philadelphia press following the Hinkie hire during the summer, I'd be curious to know if that tune has stayed consistent.  Only a fool would prefer the hopeless mediocrity presented by the 76ers' prior makeup to the prospect of adding two top selections in next summer's draft with Nerlens Noel also in tow.  But fools are abundant - as those reading this page are well aware, even Houston GM Daryl Morey didn't start reaping praise here locally until Dwight Howard was secured, despite years and years of shrewd maneuvers leading up to the coup.

Finally, on Saturday, the Clippers will come to town in a game televised on NBAtv regarding which I'm not holding my breath.  If they win, I'll be pleasantly surprised and will take it from there; if they lose, it will be par for the course with this matchup.

A glance at the current standings reveals the eight teams sitting in the single, lone layout which stands as Houston's best chance at reaching the Western Conference Finals.  The Rockets are presently at 4th, with Portland at 5th and the Spurs at 1st.  Not only does that layout allow Houston to avoid the Thunder/Clippers for as long as possible, but it also delays potential matchups against Golden State, Memphis, and Dallas, all three of whom I consider far more dangerous than Portland, especially the former two.  I'd even go so far as to say that I'm more scared of the Warriors and Grizzlies than I am of the Spurs.

I laid out last week why a deal for Carmelo Anthony this summer was a no-brainer and nothing would do more to plant the seed in his mind that the Rockets were just an inch away from the title than a trip to the WCF (other than a trip to the Finals, of course).  If the current standings hold course, maybe Hell-week, which deflated so many hopes--including those of yours truly--wasn't so bad after all.  We can only hope.

#2 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 232 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

Nice analysis, but an even better summation of where the Rockets stand sir.

#3 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,254 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

I say they win the clippers game. The clippers are a far better home team than road and the rockets stuck with them the whole of last game in LA. up till the end even though the rockets played terribly. Now I'm scared of the thunder game.

#4 Dan G

Dan G

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 173 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

(Might want to change that headline to March 23 through March 29.)

I'm a little worried about tonight's game against the Bobcats, but we should take care of business on the road.

Agreed on the Philly game.

Concerning the Clips, while it would be nice to get a win against them, a loss is not the end of the world. However, a problem could arise if Portland continues to lose and Golden State nabs the 5th seed. In that case, I would much rather the Rockets beat the Clips, which would give us a better chance at grabbing the 3rd seed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users