Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  feelingsuper... : (31 March 2014 - 03:34 AM) So good to see the Warriors lose at home. I despise that team and it's fans.
@  08huangj : (31 March 2014 - 03:31 AM) for Paul
@  08huangj : (31 March 2014 - 03:31 AM) In the meeting before this one, Bev controlled Paul pretty well:14 points, 9 assists
@  thenit : (30 March 2014 - 03:06 AM) Just deflating to get dominated by the clips during the season. With or without bev we just can't stop paul
@  08huangj : (30 March 2014 - 02:35 AM) Nobody ever writes in this forum when the Rockets lose...
@  Drew in Abilene : (28 March 2014 - 05:23 PM) No way... I've never wanted Woj to be wrong more than now...
@  Ostrow : (28 March 2014 - 05:10 PM) Welp, according to Woj, Beverly has a torn MCL
@  feelingsuper... : (28 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) I think whether they win or lose more down the stretch the Blazers doubt in themselves has set in. It appears they lost the mental game versus the 82 game schedule.
@  Drew in Abilene : (28 March 2014 - 02:00 AM) I hear you, Mitchell, but I sure don't mind seeing them get the W tonight.
@  thenit : (28 March 2014 - 12:58 AM) Bev sprained his knee hopefully it's a light one
@  Mitchell Felker : (27 March 2014 - 11:57 PM) Its weird rooting for Portland
@  rocketrick : (27 March 2014 - 01:30 PM) Prior to 1966, Cousy rarely played against any African-American players and of course by then his career was set in stone. Discrimination or Just History?
@  rocketrick : (27 March 2014 - 12:30 PM) So I endorse completely that the Rockets strive for the #2 Seed so that the Rockets have home court advantage in WCSF this season.
@  rocketrick : (27 March 2014 - 12:28 PM) Thus who the Rockets play 1st and hopefully 2nd round is absolutely unknown no matter where the Rockets end up in the Standings at this moment...
@  rocketrick : (27 March 2014 - 12:16 PM) What I meant to say is nobody knows who is 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 seeds. Everything up for grabs....
@  rocketrick : (27 March 2014 - 12:05 PM) West Playoffs 1-4 are set. 5-8 is everyone's best guess. Except nobody knows who is 2-8.
@  dbd : (27 March 2014 - 12:02 PM) Woke up early, checked last night scores, Chris Paul went 0-12, I thought I was in my dream.
@  Cooper : (26 March 2014 - 03:02 AM) The west playoffs are going to be a lot less predictable than usual, you could make a logical argument for each team being able to win a series or two.
@  Drew in Abilene : (26 March 2014 - 02:55 AM) Memphis would certainly pose a challenge in the first round... Though I think I might still prefer a first round series vs the Grizzlies and second round vs. the Spurs as opposed to a one-two punch of Golden State or Portland then the Thunder.
@  Dan G : (26 March 2014 - 01:00 AM) There's even a chance that Memphis moves up to the 5th seed and that would be horrible for us if we stay the 4th seed.

Photo

Houston Rockets 118, Cleveland Cavaliers 111 - All's well that ends poorly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 988 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:12 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 118, Cleveland Cavaliers 111 - All's well that ends poorly
    By: Forrest Walker

With three quarters in the books in Cleveland, the Houston Rockets had scored 101 points and led the Cavaliers by 22 points.  After three quarters of dominance, the Rockets let their foot off the gas as the Cavaliers floored it for all they were worth. The effect was awkward, spotty, and hard to watch from all angles, as an accelerating Cavs team still sputtered and clanked along the way. The Rockets' deep bench was unable to keep up with the energy of Cleveland and nearly fell apart late. The buffer the starters had built proved strong enough, and the Rockets made it out of Cleveland in one piece.

The biggest takeaway from this, as with all the games against losing teams of late, is that the Rockets are putting away the teams they need to put away. In the early going, an extended spurt of activity, a bout of intensity or just a hot hand from a lottery team could spell doom for the Rockets. The chemistry was half-mixed, the sets were still coming together, and the effort was spotty. Now, the Rockets threw away an entire quarter and still cruised to a win. Most notably, the effort is there, even though there's little at stake.

James Harden gave a lot of effort, part of a recent and extending trend. He scored a game-high 37 points on 15 shots and dished out an astonishing 11 assists and grabbed 4 steals in 29 minutes. He was assertive, effective, and terrifying. He needed less than 30 minutes of game time to absolutely torch the Cavaliers, a feat which is impressive even given the talent and injury level of the competition. Harden is ramping it up at exactly the right time.

Dwight Howard, on the other hand, is taking some games off. He had a cyst removed from his ankle and has sat out the last three games. He was available against the Cavaliers, but head coach Kevin McHale correctly discerned that the Rockets could afford to give their star center some rest and still take the game. Ömer Aşık started in Howard's place once again and looks increasingly spry. He had 9 points and 9 rebounds to go with 2 blocks and a rare post up play (which predictably failed). Getting Aşık into form by the playoffs has to be a top priority this season, and McHale seems committed to that plan.

The rest of the starters all looked solid, getting back into the groove they've been searching for. Parsons scored 19 points and had some very nice layups, something he'll need to threaten teams with come April. Terrence Jones came alive in the third quarterto shoot 4-5. Patrick Beverley shot 50% overall and had an amazing first half from deep. The chemistry is there.

Jeremy Lin, the giant question mark, continued to keep us guessing. He had only 1 turnover, 6 rebounds and 2 steals and was perfect from the stripe, but he also had a paltry 3-13 from the field and only racked up 1 assist. He fell apart along with the bench in the fourth quarter, and looked somewhat lost after a strong showing earlier in the game. As much as anyone, he depends on and feeds off of the energy of the team, something that could help or hurt the Rockets in the playoffs depending on how the games go.

Last but probably best, Donatas Motiejunas continued his metamorphosis into a real NBA player. He was a perfect 5-5 from the field, played decent defense, and was a real post-up threat. His contribution was unquestionably positive, even though he somehow avoided even a single rebound. He looks calmer and more confident when he throws up his that deep hook that he specializes in. He's tall, long and now that he's confident, it's increasingly hard for opposing players to get in his way. If Motiejunas can keep this up, he takes a lot of pressure off of a Houston bench that's looked increasingly questionable.

With nothing on the line, with little reason to try for a third seed, little chance of making it, and almost no chance at falling to fifth, the Rockets are still playing ball with energy and pride. While the Rockets seemed content to coast early in the going, the team now looks driven and competent against lesser teams. Beating the bottom feeders does not a contender make, but doing so can only be a good sign for a team hoping to surprise the world in a month.

#2 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 303 posts
    • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:20 AM

Still paltry, but wasn't Lin 3-11????

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#3 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,254 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:53 AM

And 1-5 from 3pt land. Not pretty.

#4 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 303 posts
      • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:08 AM

That's beyond not pretty.

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#5 QNoir

QNoir

• Members
      • Pip
      • 30 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:23 AM

Meh, he was hustling and balling as far as I saw. Missed a bunch of shots, but he had more than a couple of bad breaks. Spoonfeeding Asik's misses under the rim. No assist credit for no-look pass to TJ. Getting hacked on the arm with no call. Shot called off at end of 3rd. Playing a quarter with no center on the court and the entire bench team screwing around.

I noticed he fought hard for rebounds and got on the floor a couple of times, coming away with the ball, and he caused a couple of Cav turnovers. Individually, he looked good, other than his 3-point shot. He's had much worse games.

Edited by QNoir, 23 March 2014 - 05:31 AM.

#6 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 303 posts
        • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:28 AM

He seems find a way to stay playing the right way no matter he is hot or not. A good sign I guess.

#7 bladad

bladad

• Members
        • Pip
        • 19 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Meh, he was hustling and balling as far as I saw. Missed a bunch of shots, but he had more than a couple of bad breaks. Spoonfeeding Asik's misses under the rim. No assist credit for no-look pass to TJ. Getting hacked on the arm with no call. Shot called off at end of 3rd. Playing a quarter with no center on the court and the entire bench team screwing around.

I noticed he fought hard for rebounds and got on the floor a couple of times, coming away with the ball, and he caused a couple of Cav turnovers. Individually, he looked good, other than his 3-point shot. He's had much worse games.

All things you won't see if you just look at the stats.

Hopefully Harden can keep up the defensive intesity against the better teams in the west. It's going to be difficult being the two way player he can be when Harden is going to have to exert himself so much more on offense against better defenses,

Edited by bladad, 24 March 2014 - 11:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users