Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  txtdo1411 : (23 May 2014 - 07:26 PM) If Daniels is as good a shooter as he looked in that Portland series, he can be that guy.
@  Opasido : (23 May 2014 - 07:11 PM) I just hope Rockets can get a great 3pt shooter, whether 40%+ spotup shooters like Belinelli and Korver, or high utility shooters like JJ Redick. Somebody like them would be nice
@  Opasido : (23 May 2014 - 07:07 PM) BTW, all the players you mentioned were drafted before the introduction of the modern-day lottery system. So kinda irrelevant
@  Opasido : (23 May 2014 - 07:03 PM) I'm talking about now, not 20 years before. Those people you mentioned are of decades past, when they were establishing their fanbase. Look at the Celtics now - missed out on Tim Duncan, missed out on Kevin Durant, and they turned out just fine, getting PP KG and Ray. How? trades, not the #1 overall pick
@  feelingsuper... : (23 May 2014 - 04:36 PM) Morey sounds very positive on McHale, is down on late game execution, is confident the Rockets get a rotation player from this draft and emphasized this upcoming season's focus will be defense.
@  feelingsuper... : (23 May 2014 - 03:44 PM) Morey will be on sports radio 610 am in the Houston area at 10:00 this morning (in 15 minutes).
@  rocketrick : (23 May 2014 - 12:36 PM) Opasido, that is a very confusing statement you made. Lakers and Celtics had major picks (Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, James Worthy, Michael Cooper, Byron Scott, Danny Ainge that resulted in multiple NBA Titles. Global Fanbase has nothing to do with team success in the NBA, it's the players that make it happen with a bit of help from their coaches.
@  Opasido : (22 May 2014 - 09:50 PM) You don't need the superstars in the biggest markets. Likewise, C's and Laker's don't need to have the best picks to succeed, given their already enormous devoted global fanbase
@  thenit : (22 May 2014 - 05:28 PM) I don't think there is a conspiracy but Lebron in any market would draw about the same media attention, its not that big of a difference on coverage of LeBron in Cavs to LBJ in Miami
@  BrentYen : (22 May 2014 - 05:26 PM) Or..put him in a smaller market to boost that market? :P
@  feelingsuper... : (22 May 2014 - 05:25 PM) Wouldn't the NBA benefit most by having LeBron in one of the large markets?
@  timetodienow... : (22 May 2014 - 04:18 PM) I think this could be a ploy hatched by the NBA to try and get Lebron back to Cleveland. Think of the national media attention on the ENTIRE NBA if Lebron goes back. There will be stories about how Lebron has to win back fans, etc.... And it's a redemption story. And if he goes back to Cleveland and wins there, it undermines Jordan fanboys' biggest argument about not winning where he was drafted. I could see the reasoning behind conspiracy theorists.
@  Opasido : (22 May 2014 - 07:06 AM) Here's the article - stanforddaily.com/2014/05/20/venkataraman-circumstances-numbers-show-rigged-nba-draft-lottery
@  Opasido : (22 May 2014 - 07:05 AM) Actually, my math is wrong. According to the stanford daily, the odds are .00743% - or about 1 in 13459
@  Opasido : (22 May 2014 - 07:01 AM) Who knows? I don't pretend to know their reasoning - or else i'd be making millions as a NBA market analyst
@  thejohnnygold : (21 May 2014 - 08:55 PM) OK then, what's the reasoning behind it? Why would the NBA want to funnel it's stars into Cleveland?
@  Opasido : (21 May 2014 - 07:51 PM) So I don't believe for a second that the lottery's not rigged
@  Opasido : (21 May 2014 - 07:48 PM) That's like being given a bag of 5270 marbles and told only 1 marble in there will save your life, and you happen to pick it
@  Opasido : (21 May 2014 - 07:47 PM) Simple math says that the probability of Cavs getting 3 #1 picks in 4 years? .0527% chance
@  thejohnnygold : (21 May 2014 - 03:29 PM) It says talent evaluation matters

Photo

Huq's Pen: I'm feeling a little Melo

154 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

http://sports.yahoo....-230358424.html

Anthony has free-agent options, and two have risen above everything else: Chicago and Houston, sources with direct knowledge of his plans told Yahoo Sports. The Bulls have an easier path to clear the necessary salary-cap space to sign Anthony, but the Rockets believe they can shed the contracts necessary to offer a third near-max deals alongside Dwight Howard and James Harden, league sources said.

Would you all want him?  You guys know my thoughts: I'd be all over Melo on this team, as a stretch 4.  

#2 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 141 posts
    • LocationIsrael

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Two major questions:

1. Can the coaching staff come up with a defensive and offensive systems that utilize the Howard-Harden-Melo combo?

2. Will all three buy into these systems?

If the answer to both questions is positive, I'm jumping on the Melo wagon, otherwise it's a big NO.

#3 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,013 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

If we can get him, we should. At this point any 'extra piece' is going to kill our cap flexibility, so I don't think that's worth worrying about too much, and with all due respect to Terrence Jones, Carmelo is a HUGE upgrade. The only thing I'd be worried about is if the bench gets depleted too much in order to sign him. It sounds as though the Rockets would have to dump both Lin and Asik, which would force Morey to be creative to fill out the roster. Whatever your feelings on their value, they are certainly better than anyone you could get on the minimum (unless Morey can pull a rabbit out of the hat from somewhere yet again)...

ST

#4 dbd

dbd

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 57 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Very tough to move Lin and Asik with their back loaded contracts. Not sure package with TJ and Parsons will be enough.

#5 RyanB

RyanB

• Members
      • Pip
      • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

I'm really surprised how people see Carmelo as a "Meh"!

the guy is an unbelievable player and scorer and if  put in the right situation with good coach and system he can be a very good 2 way player.

I don't see why it wouldn't work: Harden-Howard-Melo! terrifying!

#6 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,532 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

if  Morey can pull this off he will be my hero. Melo is a stud. say what you want about his flaws, but I believe he is maturing in much the same manner D-12 did last summer. he has come to the crossroad where he must chose to either take a mild pay cut to chase a championship or put his faith in a front office with limited experience and resources hoping they can turn the ship around in time. he will choose winning. I think it's more than just talk. he will leave.  

if we get a chance to get him, YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT. sure there will be issues working him in with our team, but those are the good kind of problems. the kind where you have to many options. I would be more concern with what we would be shipping out in trade. Lin/Asik will be the foundation of  any move, but what other pieces will be necessary?  T-Jones, Parsons, D-Mo, Beverley.......you can bet NY will ask for as many as they can get in addition to draft picks. this will be Phil's first order of business and he will want to come out smelling like rose. so you best believe he will drive a hard bargain.

@Sir Thursday I am not as concerned about Morey's ability to fill in the  gaps left by the trade. as a matter of fact I believe this is one of his strong suits. even though the trade will deplete our depth, we have so many promising young players chances are there will still be some good ones left even after the trade. I agree with you our next move will kill our flexibility, but only in the area of signing players outright. If the Rockets get Melo they still won't be over the tax threshold. since they are likely to lose either Parsons or T-Jones in the deal they won't be set to handout any big paydays for the short term unless Morey somehow manages to keep both and I really don't see NY not demanding at least Parsons.

apparently Morey is fixed on bringing a third star to this team. I was one of the first here to tell you guys I thought we would get D-12. somehow I feel as though one of the following players will land in Houston next year.............Melo, Rondo, Love, LMA or Bosh with the most likely being Rondo (IMO) at the moment.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 3,009 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

As much as I prefer a 2 star/strong supporting cast ideology I have to admit that getting Melo is a no-brainer.

I can't think of a way to describe his ability to score that isn't either an understatement or hyperbole....but it is somewhere between those two.

Here is his shot chart via vorped.com for this season...

Mind you, this is from a guy who has little help around him--a lot of which has spent the season injured.  His info from Synergy shows that he goes iso roughly 25% of the time and posts up another 20% (which is an interior iso of sorts).  This means he is creating his own offense almost half the time and still producing those kinds of efficiency numbers.  Assuming he would adjust being on a team with other elite players one could pretty safely assume those numbers will improve across the board.  Add to that his size, athleticism, passing ability, and what I think is under-rated defense and he will be worth every penny.

Here is his Synergy Offensive chart:

I highlighted some numbers that jumped out to me.  Could you imagine Melo posting up with Dwight on the weakside and guys like Harden, Parsons, and Hamilton on the wings?  I can :D.  As a coach, I wouldn't know where to begin in crafting an offense for this trio.

The depth concerns are valid and the thought of losing guys like Jones and Motie stings a little.  The fact is Morey will bring in new guys that we will quickly learn to love (or not) just as he has done with the ones we are enamored with now.

Lin and Asik would have to go.  I am not one who thinks the balloon payments are a big problem.  Teams that are serious about getting better will see it as the cost of doing business and move on.  They will most likely wind up going to separate teams.  Even then, the complexity of moving enough salary out without bringing much back is a staggering task.  That will require luck as much as any sort of skill.

While Lin/Asik will be missed I doubt there is any way one could argue their value supercedes what Melo would bring to the table--even after factoring in the loss of depth, talent, and salary flexibility.

I felt similarly about Dwight at first and have had to reconsider some perspectives and preconceived ideas I held.  I think the same will be true for Melo.  Houston, with that trio of stars, will be a nightmare match-up for any team.  In a 7 game series the odds are in our favor because those three are all top 5 players at their respective positions.

#8 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,044 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

Trading Lin and Asik is difficult and would only be harder if other gms thought we'd be getting melo no contender or even semi contender will be in on making Houston that much better without being hugely compensated. If that could be managed without being essentially robbed by the teams taking asik and lin you have to give it a go. Melo is a huge upgrade at the four, they could use MLE to pick up another guard find a big man that can be play a little D for 15 min with the min and the improvement from melo outweighs the downgrades of bench play from the new guys compared to Asik and Lin.

#9 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 327 posts
          • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

It is basically a no brainier to take Melo at all cost IMO. Even that means you need to pay a lot of tax. (Ok...I know it is not my money, but I think it is worth it.)

Edited by BrentYen, 19 March 2014 - 08:21 PM.

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#10 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,353 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

I guess the Morey would have to rely on a lot on veteren FAs taking paycuts to join a power trio of harden-howard-melo to fill out the bench.

#11 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 197 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

Yes deifnitely without a doubt yet.  If Harden and Melo are taking roughly 18 shots a game with Howard around 15 this team would be impossible to guard.  You need two 3 and D guys for the 1 and the 3 and legit size for the backup 4/5 but that team would average 120 a night.

#12 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,532 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

@Buckko

I disagree.............not really. it all depends on what you think we will end up dealing in trade. I think it safe to assume both Lin and Asik are toast in such a move, but when considering what must be dealt with them to acquire Melo is interesting. NY will surely be bucking(no pun intended :lol:) for as many young players as possible. however we have a lot of good young promising talent. Parsons, T-Jones, D-Mo, Canaan, Beverley, Covington and to some extent G-Smith and Hamilton.....(bird rights). so it's unlikely the treasure chest will be completely empty. besides we will still have the MLE and the BAE to add players

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#13 BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden

• Members
              • Pip
              • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

We'd have to move Asik and Lin, and then Melo would have to take a paycut. The team would be so versatile though. DMo would be the backup center then, which after another regular season of minutes I'd be fine with him being a key piece to a championship team. But in case he doesn't make the jump I'd sign Emeka Okafor and Jerryd Bayless to minimum deals for insurance and backup PG.

#14 dbd

dbd

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 57 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

Most posts referring Melo as 4. Didn't he play at 3 most of his career?

#15 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,107 posts
                  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:06 AM

Melo is the definition of a small ball 4.

Why so Serious? :D

#16 MrLobble

MrLobble

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 46 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:28 AM

IDK about this one... There's only one ball... You complain about the about the ball getting stuck now... Imagine a lineup where you have Dwight, Beard, and Melo; seems like that lineup there would entail way too much hero ball. 

1) First few possessions Carmelo goes to get his

2) Sooner or later, James wants his and starts jacking terrible shots

3) Dwight now wants the ball or he'll stop rebounding 

And I'm in agreement with Rockets Best Fan because Phil Jackson is a basketball genius. I have a feeling Houston would be forced to package good contributing cheap players like Parsons and TJ for this deal to work. 

#17 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,044 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:05 AM

If melo wants to leave the knicks have no power.

#18 jorgeaam

jorgeaam

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 189 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:30 AM

Well I don't think the Asik/Lin trades would be so difficult, I don't know if any of you saw the Golden State salary dump to the Jazz in the preseason, from Yahoo Sports:

"The agreement came after the Warriors cleared $24 million in salary-cap room by agreeing to send the expiring contracts ofRichard JeffersonAndris Biedrins and Brandon Rush to the Utah Jazz, league sources told Y! Sports. Golden State also will send multiple draft picks to Utah, including its 2014 and '17 first-round picks, sources told Y! Sports." 

If they can dump 24 million in role players, I don't see how Houston can't trade 2 potential starters for some teams.

#19 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 3,532 posts
                        • Locationhouston

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

@Cooper

not so...........if Melo leaves and excepts a pay cut the Knicks have no power. Melo is greedy. he is unlikely to leave much on the table. I don't look for him to opt out at all. if he wishes to be moved he will tell NY early in the process giving them a list of teams that he is willing to be traded to. Why you say? because if Melo opts in on his present deal in time allowing NY to trade him where he wants to go, after the one year left on his contract he can sign a new deal with his new team with the higher percentage raises included in his deal. he wants to have his cake and eat it too. NY will still be in a weakened trading position, but will at least have a chance to get assets they could use to rebuild their future. it's of a mutual benefit for both parties to play along should they be unable to agree on his future there 

#20 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 141 posts
                        • LocationIsrael

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

From Melo's point of view I guess the situation in Chicago seems more appealing, as Noah takes less shots than DH (9.5 FGA for Noah and 11.5 for DH).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users