Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  feelingsuper... : (03 March 2014 - 02:47 PM) The 1993 series against Seattle was brutal, I remember being crushed.
@  feelingsuper... : (03 March 2014 - 02:42 PM) I think some of the fans could use the experience of brutal loses in the playoffs as well rocketrick.
@  rocketrick : (02 March 2014 - 01:31 AM) I meant the TEAM then gains much needed playoff experience...
@  rocketrick : (02 March 2014 - 01:30 AM) Then ideally Rockets fans get a 6- or 7-game series, at minimum, in the next round (WCSF's) and gain much needed playoff experience at minimum
@  rocketrick : (02 March 2014 - 01:29 AM) The Rockets don't have an easy route to the WCF's no matter which way you slice it. Home court advantage is a must for the best chance to get to WCSF's.
@  Buckko : (01 March 2014 - 05:58 PM) As long as LA stays in 4th seed, they will have to face OKC in the second round. That's why its so crucial for the rockets to be 2nd-3rd seed.
@  feelingsuper... : (01 March 2014 - 12:37 AM) Agreed, if any 3 of those coaches could immediately plug them in and get anything g it would have been Pop. Guess I am relieved now that you remind me of that.
@  Alituro : (28 February 2014 - 09:19 PM) You're right though, LAC and OKC are both dangerous enough to worry about, but they could contribute right away on the Spurs, who I was banking on remaining hobbled.
@  Alituro : (28 February 2014 - 09:17 PM) I would just rest easier knowing they're at the bottom of our conference or in the other. Both can be dangerous, esp in the right environment
@  feelingsuper... : (28 February 2014 - 08:57 PM) I think the verdict is still out, my guess is Butler contributes sporadically and I believe Granger is damaged goods, guess we'll see Alituro
@  Alituro : (28 February 2014 - 08:25 PM) FSS-- Oh NO! absolute worst possible case scenario for us, except SA scooping one up..
@  feelingsuper... : (28 February 2014 - 06:34 PM) Butler to Thunder and Granger to Clippers...
@  miketheodio : (27 February 2014 - 06:45 AM) lots of shots missed at the rim =/
@  feelingsuper... : (27 February 2014 - 06:17 AM) I think the Rockets looked good but just ran out of gas and then struggled to stay focused. Parsons needs to figure out when he needs to stop shooting some nights.
@  MrLobble : (27 February 2014 - 06:13 AM) I actually hope we go on a super winning streak or lose a couple... i don't want to see LAC in the 1st rd
@  MrLobble : (27 February 2014 - 06:13 AM) or no Power Forward
@  Cooper : (27 February 2014 - 06:12 AM) not going to beat playoff teams with Parsons no showing and cold harden/lin.
@  MrLobble : (27 February 2014 - 06:09 AM) when can we promote Canaan into lins spot?
@  YaoMan : (27 February 2014 - 04:40 AM) I like this kid Hamilton!
@  YaoMan : (27 February 2014 - 04:39 AM) Too many turnovers again - unforced turnovers. What is Bev trying to dribble around Paul for? And that Howard pass to no one...

Photo

Rondo chatter

34 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 941 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

New post: Rondo chatter
    By: mitchell felker

ESPN's Marc Stein has been tweeting all day that the Rockets and Celtics have begun discussions involving point guard Rajon Rondo.

#2 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,202 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

No way in hell.

#3 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 182 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

What surprises me is Lin isn't included in this trade? That's odd...

"Houston also possesses draft picks to deal and a cache of young players beyond Parsons -- such as disgruntled (and very available) big man Omer Asik along with the likes of Patrick Beverley, Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas -- to try to tempt the Celtics."

http://dlvr.it/4z0CQW

#4 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

• Members
        • Pip
        • 46 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

Lin would become an almost full-time shooting guard is my guess. But the Lin-Beverley lineups have been quite productive when both are healthy. Update coming to the post shortly

Edited by Mitchell Felker, 19 February 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#5 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 59 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

I haven't followed Rondo in a couple of years, but has he learned to either shoot the 3 or sink free throws? If not, then he would be a terrible addition - imagine crunch time with him and Dwight on the floor.

#6 John P

John P

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 74 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

I am against the Rondo trade...I think.

...but think of what he brings:
              1) Championship and deep playoff experience
              2) Driven to win....not coast, not take off plays, not to play only one side of the game, etc...
              3) wing defense
              4) similar to #2, backbone
              5) ability to call out other players, who will remain nameless, who don't have a fire under their butts to play defense....

All of that being said, for Asik, Dmo or Jones and a pick...maybe....but it woudl also have to include a big man to help backup Dwight.
              If you include CP...that seems like a non-starter. Not that CP is untouchable, but that is a huge change to this team and their heart that may be too much. Plus I just love the guy as a rocket

#7 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 214 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

Has there ever been a better poster boy than Rondo for riding the coat tails of future HOFers? Just saying.

#8 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

• Members
                • Pip
                • 46 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:57 PM

Update posted including a Rondo shot chart from the excellent Kirk Goldsberry. 

A starting-5 of Rondo, Harden, Parsons, Jones and Howard would be pretty bad from the free throw stripe, unfortunately, but no 5 is perfect. 

Miami can't rebound or protect the rim. 

#9 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 214 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

I much prefer this shot chart. It more adequately describes the situation.

From stats.nba.com.

#10 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,356 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

Sirius XM NBA Channel 217 had great interviews this afternoon with Phil Jackson, Tommy Heinsohn and Masai Ujiri (Toronto Raptors GM).

Masai is quite happy with Kyle Lowry so I'd be very surprised if he gets dealt.

Tommy Heinsohn obviously has a lot of insight into the Boston Celtics and he believes Danny Ainge and the Celtics ownership are committed to building around Rajon Rondo----unless of course an outstanding deal falls in their lap. Rumors I've heard today are that the Celtics desire Chandler Parsons or Gordon Hayward, bigs that can play multiple positions, particularly from the wing.

I just flat out don't see the Rockets trading away Chandler Parsons (unless for a KD, LeBron James, Paul George---in other words, players that are unavailable for trade).

Phil Jackson all but said he is done with coaching although he would love the opportunity to be part of an ownership group or become a GM "if the right opportunity presents itself."

I'll have to see if I can find links to these interviews from earlier today with Mike Dunleavy. Lengthy interviews with lots of great information (although no scoop on forthcoming trades).

Edited by rocketrick, 19 February 2014 - 11:18 PM.

#11 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,356 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

I also would like to add that although I like Rondo, I just don't think he's a good fit with the Rockets. He needs the ball to be effective, just as James Harden needs the ball to be effective. Trading for Rondo would only create JLin 2.0 in my opinion.

Also, Tommy Heinsohn made a great point that Rondo is best in a uptempo style offense. Although the Rockets do like to run the floor, it's pretty obvious that when the playoffs hit, the Rockets will slow it down and feed D12 or run Harden isolations. Not to mention that opposing defenses always tend to slow down uptempo offenses in the playoffs.

#12 Jatman20

Jatman20

Rookie

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 59 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

Not a fan of Rondo (Ray Allen's beef with Rondo dealt with selfish assists-where Rondo holds on to the ball until he gets in position to get the assist).
                          Teams will pack the paint in the playoffs with Rondo and with Rubio now-a-days.....can Harden do a better job as a spot up shooter? I love the idea of finally having a guy to lob passes to D12/Harden/Parsons; Harden/Parsons/Lin have done a better job lately- nice having days off between games (saw a stat where Rockets are now 11-1 when they have more than one day off between games....both Thunder games have been 2nd halves of back-to-backs) to work on their games. Typical Ainge asking for 2 first rounders; the Kings offered that & got shot down ......Rockets show interest
                          and he demands Parsons be included (from the article I read). IMO the most difficult GM to deal with.

#13 Jatman20

Jatman20

Rookie

• Members
                          • PipPip
                          • 59 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

Noreastern.....what year is your shot chart from? 1802 shots near the rim......couldn't be this year.

#14 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPip
                            • 1,356 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

Not a fan of Rondo (Ray Allen's beef with Rondo dealt with selfish assists-where Rondo holds on to the ball until he gets in position to get the assist).
                              Teams will pack the paint in the playoffs with Rondo and with Rubio now-a-days.....can Harden do a better job as a spot up shooter? I love the idea of finally having a guy to lob passes to D12/Harden/Parsons; Harden/Parsons/Lin have done a better job lately- nice having days off between games (saw a stat where Rockets are now 11-1 when they have more than one day off between games....both Thunder games have been 2nd halves of back-to-backs) to work on their games. Typical Ainge asking for 2 first rounders; the Kings offered that & got shot down ......Rockets show interest
                              and he demands Parsons be included (from the article I read). IMO the most difficult GM to deal with.

The word I heard is that Rondo was emphatic about not being willing to re-sign with the Kings. I believe I heard someone say the same comment from Rondo in regards to possibly being traded to Toronto, that no way he would re-sign there, either. Seems pretty clear to me that unless Ainge and the Celtics can find a team willing to pay the steep price AND that Rondo would be willing to re-sign with, that moving Rondo is just a pipe dream.

#15 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                              • PipPipPip
                              • 214 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

Jatman
                                You are completely correct. My total and absolute bad. I cannot apologize enough. That is the shot chart for the Celtics team. Here is Rondo's chart from this season.

Again, my apologies.

#16 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

Rookie

• Members
                                • PipPip
                                • 55 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

Rondo is nothing like Rubio.  Rubio cant finish at the rim, and cant shoot from anywhere.  Rondo has spots where he can be deadly. 

And it wasn't Rondo's selfish assists that caused the Ray Allen beef, it was that Rondo had to stand 30 feet away from the basket and pound the ball while Allen ran off multiple screens to get open.  Rondo wants to poke and prod a defense and break it down, not stand still. 

I love Rondo, but he does need the ball to meet his potential value.  Harden's role would change some, but Paul Pierce was a ball-dominant guy and that worked fine.  Im not 100% in favor of this deal, but if it didn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd get pumped about it. 

#17 dbd

dbd

• Members
                                  • Pip
                                  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

Morey will do Parsons+*=Rondo+* trade. Dork Elvis has no emotion. He ain't a chemistry guy. He just love numbers.

I don't like Rondo. Don't ask my why. I don't know why I didn't like him. And I love Parsons.

One thing I can agree is Rondo is a best player in his position but Parsons has too many great/good SF ahead of him.

#18 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                                    • 2,657 posts
                                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

It is certainly a giant question mark.  My opinion is Rondo would work well with this roster and would be a nice upgrade at the point (presuming he is fully healthy and hasn't lost a step due to the injury).

Regarding the playoff concerns--according to basketball-reference.com Rondo has another gear for the playoffs.  His numbers improve across the board for every season.  The argument that he was surrounded with talent is moot since he will be surrounded with talent here.

I don't know if giving up Parsons is worth it.  The thought of him playing elsewhere is strange.

#19 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
                                    • PipPipPipPip
                                    • 938 posts
                                    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

It is certainly a giant question mark.  My opinion is Rondo would work well with this roster and would be a nice upgrade at the point (presuming he is fully healthy and hasn't lost a step due to the injury).

Regarding the playoff concerns--according to basketball-reference.com Rondo has another gear for the playoffs.  His numbers improve across the board for every season.  The argument that he was surrounded with talent is moot since he will be surrounded with talent here.

I don't know if giving up Parsons is worth it.  The thought of him playing elsewhere is strange.

Yeah, the idea that Rondo was carried by the other guys on the Celtics is absurd, at least in the last few years. Here are his stat-lines from the 2011 conference finals against Miami:

Game 1: 16 points (8-20 FG), 9 rebounds, 7 assists

Game 2: 44 points (16-24 FG), 8 rebounds, 10 assists

Game 3: 21 points (9-16 FG), 6 rebounds, 10 assists

Game 4: 15 points (7-14 FG), 5 rebounds, 15 assists

Game 5: 7 points (3-15 FG),  6 rebounds, 13 assists, 4 steals

Game 6: 21 points (8-14 FG), 4 rebounds, 10 assists

Game 7: 22 points (10-22 FG), 10 rebounds, 11 assists

Those are not the numbers of someone along for the ride. When the bright lights turn on, Rondo is a fantastic player. He has consistency issues particularly in games that are not 'important' (there's a reason people kept talking about 'Primetime Rondo' and 'Regular Season Rondo' like they were different players back then), but in a playoff scenario he would definitely be an asset to the team.

I think this trade is highly unlikely, so I'm going to wimp out of deciding whether or not it's a good idea. But Rondo deserves to have high trade value for the performances he has put in in the past and I think his supposed weaknesses are minor issues in comparison to his very real strengths.

ST

#20 08huangj

08huangj

• Members
                                    • Pip
                                    • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

Isiah Thomas is not going to fit will with Rondo.

Edited by 08huangj, 20 February 2014 - 12:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users