Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  feelingsuper... : (27 February 2014 - 05:14 PM) Right after that he made it a point to mention it wasn't in a blowout game either, he said his 54 point game was in a competitive game.
@  feelingsuper... : (27 February 2014 - 05:13 PM) Curry was asked about his 54 point game last year and he first mentioned that he only scored 4 in the first and 50 in the last 3 quarters.
@  feelingsuper... : (27 February 2014 - 05:12 PM) Curry was just on with Colin Cowherd and I believe he took a couple shots at Harden.
@  miketheodio : (27 February 2014 - 06:45 AM) lots of shots missed at the rim =/
@  feelingsuper... : (27 February 2014 - 06:17 AM) I think the Rockets looked good but just ran out of gas and then struggled to stay focused. Parsons needs to figure out when he needs to stop shooting some nights.
@  MrLobble : (27 February 2014 - 06:13 AM) I actually hope we go on a super winning streak or lose a couple... i don't want to see LAC in the 1st rd
@  MrLobble : (27 February 2014 - 06:13 AM) or no Power Forward
@  Cooper : (27 February 2014 - 06:12 AM) not going to beat playoff teams with Parsons no showing and cold harden/lin.
@  MrLobble : (27 February 2014 - 06:09 AM) when can we promote Canaan into lins spot?
@  YaoMan : (27 February 2014 - 04:40 AM) I like this kid Hamilton!
@  YaoMan : (27 February 2014 - 04:39 AM) Too many turnovers again - unforced turnovers. What is Bev trying to dribble around Paul for? And that Howard pass to no one...
@  YaoMan : (27 February 2014 - 04:15 AM) I thought we were going to see another game like the one in early November...
@  Cooper : (27 February 2014 - 04:13 AM) can't beleive Turkoglu still plays professional basketball.
@  SadLakerFan : (26 February 2014 - 05:51 AM) That's true; it was a bit of a weird tangent - but I think I was just following up the previous comment. Perfect game from the Rockets. Looking forward to tomorrow.
@  miketheodio : (26 February 2014 - 05:37 AM) hamilton had a nice looking shot. canaan still looks a little hesitant/nervous.
@  feelingsuper... : (26 February 2014 - 05:35 AM) You lost me SadLaker, of all the things to talk about and that is the tangent you go on, okaaaayyyyy.
@  SadLakerFan : (26 February 2014 - 05:26 AM) If the lead drops to 10-15 points, that is.
@  SadLakerFan : (26 February 2014 - 05:17 AM) Absolutely; question is whether he can bring himself to do it. It's not that easy as a coach.
@  feelingsuper... : (26 February 2014 - 05:11 AM) That is a strange thing to say, McHale is on record recently saying he wants to rest Harden and Parsons. miketheodio you were right, we are getting a look at some 2nd unit combinations. Hamilton looks good and should provide competition.
@  SadLakerFan : (26 February 2014 - 05:00 AM) Test of McHale's fortitude - does he have the discipline to rest Parsons and Harden in anticipation of the LAC game?

Photo

Hypothetical trade idea for your consideration

44 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 936 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

New post: Hypothetical trade idea for your consideration
    By: mitchell felker

With the trade deadline less than 72 hours away, NBA teams are running out of time to make a deal before this summer.  And as has been pointed out several times, GM Daryl Morey never misses out on a chance at making a deal this time of year.  So with that in mind, I thought I would throw out another fake trade idea.  Just like last time, these are not actual trade rumors; I have no inside information and none of them should be treated as such.  They’re simply ideas that would be interesting (if not improbable) to witness were they to actually play out in real-time.

First off, the list of Rockets' needs are relatively common knowledge at this point: a 3&D wing-player (of varying cost), a backup big man should Morey find the right fit for Asik, or a third star to add alongside James Harden and Dwight Howard.  Technically, point guard could be upgraded if the Rockets could find a taker for Lin, but of the rumored-to-be-available 1's (Kyle Lowry, Brandon Jennings, Rajon Rondo & Jrue Holiday), only Rondo makes any sense for the Rockets.  But could you really play Rondo and Dwight together down the stretch of a close game when they both shoot free throws so poorly?  And since the Celtics seem pretty dead-set on their asking price for him, I just don't see Rondo as a possibility.

So that leaves depth for the bench or another All-Star.  Finding the extra shooter the Rockets need could involve just about any team in the league and would make for a pretty boring read. Mike Dunleavy Jr, CJ Miles or even the Vince Carter/Brandan Wright idea from last time would help the Rockets, but don't really warrant this type of post.  So, we're going big or going home.

Keep in mind that superstars don't get traded very often in the NBA, so any trade-talk involving them should be taken with a grain of salt.  But when that superstar is one of the ten most talented players in the league, hasn't made the playoffs in his entire six-year career and is rumored to be very unhappy with the current state of his franchise, blowing up the Trade Machine to get him to the home team seems like a very appropriate way to spend an afternoon.  So today I offer up another three-team trade involving the Rockets, Timberwolves and Celtics.

Houston receives: Kevin Love and Ronny Turiaf

Minnesota receives: Terrence Jones, Kris Humphries' Expiring Contract (Copyright: Bill Simmons), Ronnie Brewer, Houston's 2014 & 2016 1st round picks (minimal protection) and the LA Clippers' 2015 1st round pick (via Boston)

Boston receives: Omer Asik, Donatas Motiejunas and New York's 2014 2nd round pick (via Houston)

Why the Celtics do it - Rumor has it that Danny Ainge showed interest in Asik and Motiejunas when they both voiced their displeasure with they're roles earlier this season.  Ainge was no doubt just sniffing around his old cohort Morey when he thought there might be a bargain to be had, but it's at least safe to say that there is interest.  So while the Celts lose a valuable first rounder, they acquire Asik, who is as close as you're going to get to a franchise center without actually drafting one or lucking-out in free agency; and Motiejunas, a young, multifaceted seven-footer that would look great offensively playing next to the Celtics' young and multifaceted seven-footer (Kelly Olynyk) off the bench.  The Knicks' pick holds some value, especially if New York can't get it together down the stretch and misses the playoffs.

Why the Wolves do it - As the Deron Williams trade a few years ago showed, dealing a disgruntled star while he still has some time left on his contract can offer a bigger return than waiting until the final year of his deal, when teams know he's going to be available in just a few months.  And while this trade doesn't involve an elite prospect like Derrick Favors was considered at the time, Terrence Jones has been much more productive this season than Favors ever was through the first four years of his career.  He's a versatile weapon that showed he can play next to a powerful center and would make an excellent running partner for Ricky Rubio on the break.  He's certainly not Kevin Love, but he has plenty of room to grow and fits nicely with what coach Rick Adelman and the Wolves want to do.

Also, this scenario provides the Wolves with more picks than the return the Jazz got for Williams.  Adding an additional first-rounder to the next three drafts is quite an achievement, even if no team ever wants to lose a player of Love's stature.  The Humphries and Brewer contracts would both be gone this summer, which would open up a chunk of cap-space and allow Flip Saunders and the rest of the Wolves front office to reset to an extent after all of the previous regimes' mistakes (KAAAAHHHHHNNNN!).

Why the Rockets do it - Isn't it obvious?  This trade is nothing like the Carmelo Anthony idea from before.  While both Love and Melo are stars, Love's fit with the Rockets would be like matching cinnamon with sugar; scotch with cigars; Pitt with Clooney.  Love would provide Harden with a full-time pick-and-pop partner, and his shooting would keep the paint clear for Dwight Howard.

Jalen Rose likes to say that the stretch-4 is a myth, save for Ryan Andersen.  There are tall small forwards that teams play at the 4, and then there's Anderson.  Well, Kevin Love is a stretch-4 that happens to live inside a 6'10, 250 pound rebounding monster.  And calling Love a stretch-4 is a total disservice to his overall skillset.  He's got a solid post game around the rim, rebounds the ball like few others and is an absolute pass-master.  In the half-court, he can fit the ball into tight windows that would make even the best point guards blush, and if you haven't seen Love fling an outlet pass to Corey Brewer, you're wasting Youtube (watch the 1:40 mark; Aaron Rodgers is jealous of that pass).  Imagine Chandler Parsons catching all those Hail Marys from Love.  Ronny Turiaf would provide some size and toughness off the bench, which might be necessary if Greg Smith can't get healthy in time for the playoffs.

Houston would probably still need to add another big man somehow, not to mention that 3&D-wing would be nice.  But with Lin and Beverley taking all the point guard minutes and Harden, Parsons, Love and Howard soaking up so much of their respective positions' minutes, those needs are much less important.  Teams generally run an eight or nine-man rotation and even that can cut down come playoff time.  Love would certainly pacify Morey's desire for a third star, and while any Parsons extension would push Houston well into the luxury tax, Les Alexander has proven he'll pay for a winner.  And that team would win.

#2 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

• Members
    • Pip
    • 41 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:33 PM

I probably should have named it something different than the first post, for the sake of the forums. 

#3 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 931 posts
      • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

I probably should have named it something different than the first post, for the sake of the forums. 

Alternatively, it might be worth appending any future posts like it to the Trade Deadline 2014 thread?

ST

#4 thenit

thenit

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 468 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

<br /><br /><p>Would love Love on our team</p>

#5 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,192 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

Our defense would be trash. We can only improve our offense so much.

#6 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 427 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:39 AM

I don't know that the D gets worse in that situation.  Jones isn't a great defender at this point.  We would become a much better rebounding team, and every time I look up during a Rockets game we are giving up ad offensive rebound.  Turiaf is a good back-up defensive C. Of course the Rockets do this deal. I also like Asik going to the East. Keep him away from the teams we play. Don't want to face him in the playoffs. One of the few guys who could guard D12 1-on-1.

#7 Texan Ensemble

Texan Ensemble

• Members
            • Pip
            • 19 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:12 AM

I love scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly.

#8 NickyK

NickyK

• Members
              • Pip
              • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:12 AM

This is a wishful thinking but it won't work. Houston getting Love (all star PF at his prime) for almost giving up nothing to Wolves. Rockets is going to be top tier teams for years to come so 1st round picks from Rockets really mean nothing and Brewer, in my opinion, won't be in NBA too long. So, Jones for Love? wow!

#9 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 55 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:32 AM

Nicky You missed the part about 3 first round picks. I think you need to re-read the article.
                  And brewer is lucky to be in the league this year. He's cap filler.

#10 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 55 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:35 AM

And I agree with ostrow. Defense doesn't end until you get the rebound, so Love would help in that regard. Love isn't a lockdown defender or anything, but he's as functional as most of the forwards in the league. Just because a guy is known for his offense doesn't mean he's automatically trash on the other end.

Edited by Incubus2803, 18 February 2014 - 02:37 AM.

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 2,644 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:42 AM

I agree that those 3 first rounders don't hold too much value given that they will be coming from the Rox and Clips.

#12 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

Rookie

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 55 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:47 AM

They might not on the face of it, but when the next James Harden or Eric Bledsoe (Reggie Jackson?) becomes available, 6 picks in 3 drafts will be a pretty hard offer to best.

#13 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,192 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:49 AM

I didn't say Love was trash but our D would become trash. Jones is not a good defender right now, but is a known shot blocker and has the gifts to become very good. With harden and Love, you already have a couple weak links in D for your core and Parsons isn't to strong there either. Not to mention, would the FO be willing to pay parsons with 3 max contracts.

#14 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

Rookie

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 55 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:54 AM

The Heat have had a couple of guys who made actual money over the years, so I think they could sign off on Parson as long as the team makes a few deep playoff runs to counteract. all that is free money. They would probably have to burn another asset or two to get Jeremy Lin off the books tho. And Morey is a genious bargain hunter, so im sure he would still be able to scrounge up a bench.

#15 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPip
                          • 1,192 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:02 AM

The Heat have a player signed for 10 million besides the big 3? Get rid of lin, and you have no bench at all. No scorers, no depth because it all got traded, no other ball handlers. If you lose parsons too in FA, the only scorers you have is harden, love, and Howard. That's nice, but not an actual championship contender. You need a little 12 with the big 3 and you can't simply play with the trade machine and say it works.

#16 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

Rookie

• Members
                            • PipPip
                            • 55 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:10 AM

No, but the Heat's big 3 make well over 60 million combined due to their years in the league. The proposed rockets trio would barely make 50. So yes, you could easily afford Pasons' 10 mil if he was the only other serious money. And you trade Lin because you have to, but that's why you have brooks and Casspi so cheap, Canaan waiting in the wings. And a talented group like that would bring the vets as well. Any other brain busters?

#17 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

Rookie

• Members
                              • PipPip
                              • 55 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:51 AM

(Quoting billy Madison, not being a dick)

#18 Steven

Steven

• Members
                                • PipPipPipPipPip
                                • 1,429 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:55 AM

No, but the Heat's big 3 make well over 60 million combined due to their years in the league. The proposed rockets trio would barely make 50. So yes, you could easily afford Pasons' 10 mil if he was the only other serious money. And you trade Lin because you have to, but that's why you have brooks and Casspi so cheap, Canaan waiting in the wings. And a talented group like that would bring the vets as well. Any other brain busters?

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. No where in your ramblings did you come close to the answer. Everyone in this room is stupider for having to listen to it. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Edited by Steven, 18 February 2014 - 04:56 AM.

#19 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                                  • 1,192 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:57 AM

You won't develop a bench like the heat, they acquired very good players for outrageously small contracts, not guys in their late 30s. You're not going to get any Battiers or Ray Allens. Cannan is a rookie and brooks is hot or not, no frontcourt and wing depth, along with the fact the team would never survive injuries. The contracts wouldn't be a problem at first but they increase dramatically. I can't stand the suicidal big 3 idea.  You would have a very small window of dwight's prime due to no new influx of talent being able to ease the load on dwight (Ex.Jones), then you would have enter a new rebuilding age due to trading away your future.

Keep the course and develop talent like Spurs, OKC, Pacers. Miami and Celtics big 3 only work because they were all two way players and contain the MVP of the league at the time along with DEEP teams. Star power is only 2/3 the way, without that bench you're dead in the water.

#20 Steven

Steven

• Members
                                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                                    • 1,429 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:05 AM

You won't develop a bench like the heat, they acquired very good players for outrageously small contracts, not guys in their late 30s. You're not going to get any Battiers or Ray Allens. Cannan is a rookie and brooks is hot or not, no frontcourt and wing depth, along with the fact the team would never survive injuries. The contracts wouldn't be a problem at first but they increase dramatically. I can't stand the suicidal big 3 idea. You would have a very small window of dwight's prime due to no new influx of talent being able to ease the load on dwight (Ex.Jones), then you would have enter a new rebuilding age due to trading away your future.

Keep the course and develop talent like Spurs, OKC, Pacers. Miami and Celtics big 3 only work because they were all two way players and contain the MVP of the league at the time along with DEEP teams. Star power is only 2/3 the way, without that bench you're dead in the water.

And what have OKC and Indiana won? Indiana went out and drop big bucks on David West 2 summers ago. Come playoffs you play 8 men. And your starters play 40 a night. You need 3 guys to give you 15 minutes. That's it. Deep benches are virtually worthless come playoffs.

Edited by Steven, 18 February 2014 - 05:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users