Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) So according to TMZ (I know, I know) Dwight Howard had an incident last month in which he took a loaded gun into an airport, but he was allowed to give it to a friend to take it back and wasn't arrested.
@  jorgeaam : (31 August 2015 - 10:45 PM) The Los Angeles Rockets, lol
@  redfaithful : (31 August 2015 - 09:51 PM) Seems that Chuck is also on his way to the Clippers.
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) ill just leave this here...
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) http://www.timeandda...04&font=cursive
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) At least in my opinion.
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) I love having Terry. But the main factor was that New Orleans will NOT compete for a championship this year and the Rockets will.
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Things that make me like the JET even more

Photo

Who is Terrence Jones?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

New post: Who is Terrence Jones?
    By: Forrest Walker

Just what exactly is Terrence Jones? We know how tall he is - officially 6’9”. We know that he starts next to Dwight Howard for the Rockets. Now, we know that he played sixteen minutes in the 2014 Rising Stars Challenge. What we don’t know, not at all, is what his ceiling is… or even where it is. Could Terrence Jones, Rockets power forward, jersey number six, become a star in this league? More importantly, just what, exactly, is he good at? In a meaningless game on a Friday night, we got a peek at something important. We’re starting to see who Terrence Jones might be.

Last year, he looked a little bit lost, a little bit underused, and a little bit underwhelming. Houston had high hopes for the trio of rookies they took into the year. Jeremy Lamb was and is promising, but was traded as part of a package for James Harden. That left 16th pick Royce White, 18th pick Terrence Jones and 20th pick Donatas Motiejūnas (waiting in Europe from the prior year). We’re best off ignoring last season for now, because the glimpses of what Terrence Jones is turning into were there in his first summer league.

Jones was one of the stars of the league, climbing up the rookie ladder, scoring over 18 points a game on 50% shooting and looking NBA ready before even seeing a minute on court. That’s not what his rookie year looked like, as so often happens in the NBA. But now, after a year of waiting for his chance to get back to those kind of minutes, he’s starting for the Rockets and reaching for that potential he showed in 2012. His 12.7 points in games he’s started look a lot closer to the aggressive, confident player we saw in Summer League. He’s shooting over 50%, he’s grabbing almost 9 rebounds a game and averaging a block and a half in those games.

What we saw in the Rising Stars Challenge was nothing more than a confirmation of what people in Houston already know. Terrence Jones is the real thing. His 14 points and 6 rebounds may not have been as eye-popping as Andre Drummond’s 30 and 25, but that’s not a bad thing. Drummond shot a respectable 12-21 from the floor. Jones shot a blistering 7-10. The difference between Drummond and Jones can be summed up by one moment from the Rising Stars Challenge practice session. Coach Nate McMillan was calling players up to participate in a game of around the world with military veterans, and he needed three point shooters. Drummond quickly jumped up with a smile on his face, volunteering himself. Of course, nobody minded that Drummond had only attempted (and missed) two threes all season. The game meant nothing except for fun. Terrence Jones, on the other hand, calmly waited and was called last… and placed in the corner, the most efficient spot on the arc. Jones sank his second try, sat back down, and prepared for the next event.

Drummond has to shoulder as much of the load in Detroit as he can. The Pistons are struggling and need some heroes to step up and do it all. Jones isn’t in that situation. Jones has heroes next to him in Dwight Howard and James Harden. Jones doesn’t need to take over. He just needs to take advantage. That’s exactly what he’s been doing, and that’s exactly what he did in the Rising Stars Challenge. He may play as a big most nights, but his game is far removed from Drummond’s. Jones only heaved one three, his first and last miss from deep. With the exception of a contested mid-range jumper, Jones saw a path to the basket and he took it. Sometimes he was ready for a pass to an open dunk. Most of the time, he created for himself.

I asked Terrence Jones after practice if he had been purposefully putting the ball on the floor more. “It’s something my coaching staff believes I can do,” Jones said, “and gives me the opportunity to do.” He’s had that opportunity a lot lately, especially with Dwight Howard and James Harden commanding so much of opposing defensive attention. “I’m a real good ball handler, and some bigs find that difficult to guard,” Jones noted, something that’s been obvious to anyone who watched him play. He has hands like a guard, something he used on national TV repeatedly during the Rising Stars Challenge.

Of course, with the dearth of point guards on Team Hill (Damian Lillard, and that’s it) and the offense-only, my-turn-your-turn style of play in that game, that’s simply what was available. Terrence saw what was on the table, and he took it. “Grant Hill told me he might need me at point forward,” Jones smiled when asked about what position he would play. He won’t be seeing many opportunities to run an offense, but the ability to dribble, to pass, and to shoot corner threes is more than just being a stretch four. That’s something different.

On a night when Terrence Jones helped Grant Hill’s team win the Rising Stars Challenge, the twist is that Jones more resembles the opposing team’s namesake: Chris Webber. Jones isn’t your average big man, and he isn’t your average player. He’s a passer, a shooter, a dribbler and a driver. We don’t know what the limit on his game is, and we don’t know if he could be a star. The beauty is that it doesn’t matter. He doesn’t have to be the next Chris Webber in Houston. He just has to keep taking advantage.

#2 Michael Cham

Michael Cham

• Members
    • Pip
    • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:05 AM

Excellent post.

As a new Rockets fan, TJones has been a pleasant surprise. I didn't see the Rising Stars game but it must have been interesting to see him in an unleashed-no-defense context. Unfortunately, even a poor man's Chris Webber is a bit of a stretch imo. I like his efficiency but I think that is also why also disappears at times. If he doesn't have it, Coach takes him out or he defers to other Rockets who may be hot at the time. I have no problem with that. I'm hoping that Tjones and DMo can become the yin/yang combo that is Bev/Lin. 

I think the Rockets will be rewarded if they are patient with TJones aka high ceiling. Can't be too hard on him early. This is not the bad Rocket years where new players can be tossed minutes and shots with impunity. Houston is competing for a title, not raising the value of their players for trade chips. This may not be as good for TJones future salary but it is a good problem to have because it means he is playing meaningful "for the ring" bball night in and night out. 

#3 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,634 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

I say he could be a pre-Kardashian Lamar Odem with a 3pt shot and a better scorer but maybe not the passer Odem was.

#4 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 170 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

I say he could be a pre-Kardashian Lamar Odem with a 3pt shot and a better scorer but maybe not the passer Odem was.

If he gets anywhere close to Lamar Odom, we'll be beyond happy!

#5 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 437 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

I like T. Jones a lot as a player.  I'm hesitant to star labeling him a a young anything though.  I do think a two-handed Lamar is a pretty good comparison. I hope he becomes the rebounder that Odom was.  I'm just enjoying watching Jones' improvement this year.  I know it isn't part of the Rockets philosophy but at this point I'd love to see him shoot long twos except maybe from the corner.  His range isn't at the 3-point line consistently enough right now but from what I've seen he has that long two down pretty well.  It is important that he can stretch the court, so if he isn't hitting 3s no one is going to space to him, but if he can hit a 20 footer it spaces the floor and allows him to pump fake and blow by his defender.  One thing I would love him to do is call up Chuck Hayes (actually I would like all of our bigs to do that).  If he can learn to be a good position defender that would help the team out so much.  Hayes may not have been a shot blocker, but he was always in the right spot.  With Dwight and Asik behind him, that would be spectacular for Jones.  On a side note, I think they should try to bring Hayes back if his salary isn't too high.  He'd make a great role player on this team.

#6 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 437 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Ignore Chuck Hayes suggestion for bringing him in. 6 million for 2 years, no chance.

#7 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,634 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:58 AM

Jones will get his 3pt shot in a year or two.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users