Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Dan G : (17 April 2014 - 10:17 PM) That is some interesting news. We gotta get past Portland first, but I like that stat for the next round.
@  feelingsuper... : (17 April 2014 - 12:45 PM) So yesterday during Truehoop TV Amin said the teams that win any season series 4 to 0 go on in the post season with a 51 and 4 record versus the losing team. Hmmmmmm...
@  Buckko : (15 April 2014 - 05:22 AM) Hope we can get him back in the offseason, he was just signed for the rest of the offseason.
@  jorgeaam : (15 April 2014 - 04:16 AM) Bulls release Tornike Shengelia and sign Greg Smith, well, that didn't take long
@  Cooper : (15 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) nice win. Dwight looks like he's ready go. Bev's still a little rusty but he should be fine.
@  Sir Thursday : (14 April 2014 - 10:24 PM) Thanks huang, that's useful knowledge :).
@  08huangj : (14 April 2014 - 01:15 AM) I've watched a lot of his games
@  08huangj : (14 April 2014 - 01:15 AM) Guys, I live in Guangzhou. Just in case you didn't notice, Powell was in Guangzhou playing with the tigers before he came to the Rockets. No midrange shot. Good rebounder. Bad defender. Good at attacking the rim. This is my summary for his time at Guangzhou.
@  Cooper : (13 April 2014 - 11:16 PM) hes 6-9 so id guess more of a pf but it doesn't really matter either way I guess.
@  Buckko : (13 April 2014 - 11:02 PM) Not really, you seen his season averages? Not pretty.
@  Sir Thursday : (13 April 2014 - 10:18 PM) He's more of a PF, I thought. You could always make the specious "RINGZZZ!" argument, since he won two with the Lakers...
@  Buckko : (13 April 2014 - 09:04 PM) Waived Pittman, signed Josh Powell. I don't really get why they signed a scrub SF.
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:41 AM) In the postgame interview, Bev said he was alright, but it looked iffy...
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:40 AM) Not watching the game. Just looking at the play-by-plays.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) Rockets win!
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) Oh gosh, I hope Beverley isn't hurt again... He was taken out in the last few seconds limping after falling and looking like he hurt his right knee...
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) yep
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:35 AM) Harden, Lin, and Beverley all coming up big in these last few clutch minutes.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:01 AM) And why is Parsons missing?
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:00 AM) If Rockets don't get better soon, they are not going to be the fourth seed in the western conference.

Photo

The Red94 Podcast: Episode 34

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:44 AM

New post: The Red94 Podcast: Episode 34
    By: kirk sowers

In today’s episode, Rahat discusses Dwight Howard’s dominance against the Phoenix Suns, and also revisits the Goran Dragic free agency decision.

Listen to this episode
    Download this episode (right click and save)

Subscribe to The Red94 Podcast on iTunes

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,312 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

hindsight is always 20/20. considering what was on the Rockets plate at the time of the Dragic contract talks it looks like a mistake, but forecasting the future is always guess work...........sometime you win......sometimes you lose, however the Rockets were able to limit the damage some with the Lin acquisition at the time so I don't waste to much time on what if's. as for the T-Jones analogy I totally disagree on why his numbers drop during the game. I think when teams first start playing us they attempt to use T-Jones man to double D-12 or Harden freeing him for cuts to the basket. once he proves he can't be left alone his presence causes the floor spacing we seek. this is why the offense runs more smoothly with him on the floor. he must be accounted for offensively which alters the oppositions defensive strategy. while it seems most of his offense is in the first quarter his rebounding and defense stay pretty consistent through the game. he is young, but every time out I think helps him. I wouldn't mind seeing the Rockets bring in a veteran backup, but I am comfortable with T-Jones being the playoff starter. besides if D-Mo advances a little over this remaining part of the season I think we are better focusing our attention elsewhere.......like backup SG/SF and if Asik continues to act out backup center

Edited by rockets best fan, 07 February 2014 - 08:09 AM.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#3 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,529 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

that's a good point RBF.  

#4 CanSayNOTC

CanSayNOTC

• Members
      • Pip
      • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

RBF, gimme your address so I can ship you an ENTER key. 

Go Blue!

#5 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
        • 1,799 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

It's ok CanSayNOTC we are all used to it and that's the way it is. rocketsbestfan has been here a long time relatively speaking and well just think of it more as a conversation where the ole timer is trying to impart his old school wisdom and well that's rocketsbestfan. It's not like reading organized text from Sir Thursday or johnnygold, it's a different style if you will. Some things will never change but that was a good one, the address joke.

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 2,805 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

I completely agree RBF.  I noticed it a few games ago and it has held true.  It forces teams out of their defensive game plan and then everyone else can get to work.  Jones has been on a constant uptick this season--despite his shooting woes from 3 and the charity stripe.

His fg attempts continue to increase and his fg% is solid for a guy who scores in every way imaginable--inside/outside, assisted/unassisted, dunks, hooks, jumpers...he does it all.

In his last four games, Terrence Jones has shot a combined 15-19 (79%) in the first quarter most of which has come in the paint.  I chalk this one up to the coaches.  They recognized a way to exploit the opposing team.  Let's see how long it lasts.  Compare that to 6 total shots in the fourth quarters of the same games going 4-6 from the field (he took zero shots in the Phoenix game so those actually came in 3 games).  Clearly the usg rate plummets, but he is still efficient and effective.

Rahat, I agree that trusting Jones in a playoff series against the likes of a Blake Griffin, Tim Duncan, Zach Randolph, LaMarcus Aldridge, Dirk, Love...ugh, the list is daunting....that trusting Jones against these guys is difficult.  I fully expect him to get roasted by these guys.  That's what they do.  It's ok.  He'll learn from it.  He's got the tools and needs to develop them.  Besides, he will give them their own problems on the other end.  His confidence on offense is pretty high right now and he seems to have a green light from McHale in all aspects of the offense--even bringing the ball up court.  You think Randolph, Duncan, Aldridge, or Dirk want to chase him around all game?  No way.

Like you said, he is young and I believe he shows no signs of having hit his ceiling.  I agree, the scouting reports on him are not out, but given his all-around game and skill-set he should be able to continue being effective.  There will probably be a learning curve as he has to adapt and adjust to what defenses are doing to him--but that's true for nearly all players.

I disagree that Houston's window is 3 years, but that is up to fate not me.  I have already said in another thread that I wouldn't trade him for anyone not named Anthony Davis right now (ignoring salary constraints).  I hold true to that.  I think keeping Jones for the next 10+ years has more value than losing him for Millsap, Love, or Aldridge (presuming these are the main targets).  When you factor in everything--salary, age, usg % and fitting that in with Harden/Howard/Parsons plus what kind of production do we get at that reduced usg%...it all makes me believe Terrence Jones will be manning the PF position in Houston for the next 10-12 years and....bold prediction...will wind up with his jersey hanging in the rafters next to Harden, Parsons, Lin and Howard.  :o :D  (ya know, cuz we won all them championships)

#7 since86rocketsfan

since86rocketsfan

• Members
        • Pip
        • 29 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Jones gets better every game and I believe he will be a star. He is very active and does all the intangibles like blocks, rebounds, and runs the floor well which lead to easy baskets for him. If he can get a solid low post game, he will be very hard to stop. He will have his hands full in the playoffs with all the great forwards, we could use Chuck Hayes off the bench.
          On Dragic, I feel that even though Harden will have the ball a lot, he would still be very effective. He is a great shooter, and he can also create his own shot, and passes well. He also runs the floor well, can play the two, and does not turn it over a lot. As a gm, you are continuously trying to upgrade at every position until you can get the best possible players. Harden and Howard are the best at there positions, thus getting long lucrative deals. I feel with how Dragic played when Lowry was out, and his playoff success with the Suns , that he deserved that fourth year. The bottom line is Lin struggled last year, was inconsistent, improved some this year, but is now a reserve. That is the main thing you must take into account , when you compare the two. Dragic has played great as a starter, Lin improved playing as a reserve, it is no way they should make the same.

#8 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,297 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

JG it would be amazing in 25 years to see all their jerseys in the rafters with some banners.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users