Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Dan G : (17 April 2014 - 10:17 PM) That is some interesting news. We gotta get past Portland first, but I like that stat for the next round.
@  feelingsuper... : (17 April 2014 - 12:45 PM) So yesterday during Truehoop TV Amin said the teams that win any season series 4 to 0 go on in the post season with a 51 and 4 record versus the losing team. Hmmmmmm...
@  Buckko : (15 April 2014 - 05:22 AM) Hope we can get him back in the offseason, he was just signed for the rest of the offseason.
@  jorgeaam : (15 April 2014 - 04:16 AM) Bulls release Tornike Shengelia and sign Greg Smith, well, that didn't take long
@  Cooper : (15 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) nice win. Dwight looks like he's ready go. Bev's still a little rusty but he should be fine.
@  Sir Thursday : (14 April 2014 - 10:24 PM) Thanks huang, that's useful knowledge :).
@  08huangj : (14 April 2014 - 01:15 AM) I've watched a lot of his games
@  08huangj : (14 April 2014 - 01:15 AM) Guys, I live in Guangzhou. Just in case you didn't notice, Powell was in Guangzhou playing with the tigers before he came to the Rockets. No midrange shot. Good rebounder. Bad defender. Good at attacking the rim. This is my summary for his time at Guangzhou.
@  Cooper : (13 April 2014 - 11:16 PM) hes 6-9 so id guess more of a pf but it doesn't really matter either way I guess.
@  Buckko : (13 April 2014 - 11:02 PM) Not really, you seen his season averages? Not pretty.
@  Sir Thursday : (13 April 2014 - 10:18 PM) He's more of a PF, I thought. You could always make the specious "RINGZZZ!" argument, since he won two with the Lakers...
@  Buckko : (13 April 2014 - 09:04 PM) Waived Pittman, signed Josh Powell. I don't really get why they signed a scrub SF.
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:41 AM) In the postgame interview, Bev said he was alright, but it looked iffy...
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:40 AM) Not watching the game. Just looking at the play-by-plays.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) Rockets win!
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) Oh gosh, I hope Beverley isn't hurt again... He was taken out in the last few seconds limping after falling and looking like he hurt his right knee...
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) yep
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:35 AM) Harden, Lin, and Beverley all coming up big in these last few clutch minutes.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:01 AM) And why is Parsons missing?
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:00 AM) If Rockets don't get better soon, they are not going to be the fourth seed in the western conference.

Photo

Omer Asik: The Unsightly Obstacle

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

New post: Omer Asik: The Unsightly Obstacle
    By: michael pina

Yesterday we learned that Omer Asik might be 7-10 days away from returning to practice. With the trade deadline racing up on us in just a few weeks, this news is a few things: peculiar, predictable, and, to be honest, a little insolent. Who's disrespecting who is another story.

During a recent nationally televised broadcast on ESPN between the Indiana Pacers and Brooklyn Nets, Jeff Van Gundy went on one of his signature mini-rants about Asik's spotty playing time:

Van Gundy: [Omer Asik] is basically holding the Houston Rockets hostage because he is not starting. I don't care what anyone says, he's still not unable to play and it's wrong. So much of this game is mental. Asik was one of my favorite players because of his defense and rebounding ability, but if you're not mentally right, you can be of no help.

Breen: And that's a question mark with Bynum.

JVG: Exactly. Now it's a question mark with Asik. Play for your team, play for your teammates. It's been three months.

This was the first time I can remember hearing anyone publicly acknowledge what's felt so obvious these past two months, but before we go there let's break down three possible explanations for Asik's absence.

1) He's perfectly fine and purposefully sitting games out to force his way from Houston in one of the least professional ways possible.

2) The Rockets aren't playing him for fear of a serious injury occurring before they can find a suitable trade offer.

3) Asik is actually hurt.

Speculating on someone else's tolerance for pain is always dicey and rarely a good idea. But putting all his general unhappiness aside for a second, for Asik—a player who’d missed zero games heading into this season—to sit just over two months with a thigh bruise after demanding several trades is cause for inquiry at the very least.

His absence is suspicious in a way that totally makes sense, but it’s also possible he physically can’t play. I’ve never bruised my thigh and don’t know how badly it hurts. It sounds like the opposite of pleasant.

That said, the three scenarios listed above are the clearest and most probable. This is far from a witch hunt. We have context and all speculation is rational. There are few facts to support any one over the other, but none qualify as a conspiracy theory.

After an incredible breakout season that saw him grab more rebounds than anybody in the entire league last year—most of them in traffic and even more obtained well over seven feet off the ground—Asik was deflated when Dwight Howard was given a max contract to play his position on his team.

That's understandable in your world or mine. But it's laughable in professional sports. Asik felt disrespected by the same team that signed him to a mammoth $25 million offer sheet in June 2012. Before Howard handpicked the Rockets, the team was happily willing to fork over approximately $15 million next season ($8.3 million cap hit) for a big man who's steadier than a dial tone, and somehow less interesting.

He’s a man of his time, truly appreciated for all the non-traditional box score goodness he brings to the table every night. All being grateful for his impact requires is research and two eye balls. But that contract was always part bargain, part albatross depending, frankly, on how often you watched Asik play.

It's indisputable that Houston would be a better team if Asik pitched in every once in a while. But if he's actually sitting games out as a means to hold the same team hostage that gave him a life-changing offer sheet before he proved himself capable of living up to it 30 minutes every night, then there's something seriously wrong here.

If the case, Asik used to be one of my favorite players, too.

#2 Bigtkirk

Bigtkirk

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 79 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

So, Van Gundy, without disclosing his source of information, claims on national TV that Asik is faking an injury, which is one of the most damaging things that can be said publicly about a professional athlete.

Meanwhile, the Rockets, who could suspend Asik if what Van Gundy says is true, have made no such claim. Indeed, the team has stated publicly that Asik's injury did not respond well to treatment and that multiple doctors have been consulted regarding the injury and treatment.

Finally, because Asik has not been seriously injured before (what difference does that make?), does not cater to the media and threw a snit over playing time earlier in the season (not particularly unusual for an NBA player), Van Gundy's speculation is given credence.

Frankly, I'm at least as inclined to question Van Gundy's judgment as I am Asik's.

#3 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,994 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

Lol. Then nothing is a conspiracy theory.

Why so Serious? :D

#4 dbd

dbd

• Members
      • Pip
      • 39 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

Front office and coaching staffs are as guilty as Asik if injury was a fake.
        Fine him if he refused to play without any valid excuse. For now, we got "believe" in what they all said. But do I believe it, ummmmm....

#5 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 68 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

THEY WANT TO TRADE HIM.  THEYRE NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING TO ROCK THE BOAT. 

i dont understand whats so hard to understand about that.

have you guys never watchced professional sports?

van gundy gets credence because hes been in NBA locker rooms for decades and he knows what divas these guys are

OH AND HE REALIZES THAT TAKING 2 MONTHS TO RECOVER FROM A BRUISE IS ABSURD

#6 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,291 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

When do people realize it was far more than a simple thigh bruise. His knee kept swelling the entire time and you can't play on a massively swollen knee. When we get him back, everyone will be counting their blessings that we didn't trade him for scrubs.

#7 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,394 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

When do people realize it was far more than a simple thigh bruise. His knee kept swelling the entire time and you can't play on a massively swollen knee. When we get him back, everyone will be counting their blessings that we didn't trade him for scrubs.

I truly hope you're right. It really depends on Asik's heart and mental toughness at this point. Is he bought into the Rockets or just going through the motions? I suppose we'll see soon enough.

Like they say, prepare for the best and plan for the worst.

#8 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 658 posts
              • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Asik is/was my favourite player in this roster, but everything has a limit and even though I have defended Omer in this forum (some forers could tell you that I tried to, rocketrick and feelingsupersonic for example), at some point, you just have to deal with the fact that he could be playing. He has played with a broken nose, so I'm pretty sure he has already played with swollen knees too (due to the knee braces, we haven't noticed it). Even though it could be concerning, I don't think is that awful that he isn't able to play. It's alright and understandable to be cautious, but I accepted the fact that he is not 100% willing to get back.

I love the guy and I wish him all the best, here or wherever, but right now, I need my Rockets to be the best team they can and if he is not gonna help us, we need to ship them somewhere else for a guy who is willing to help us win as soon as possible.

PS: I didn't want Howard, and we didn't need him, but if you can get him, you have to. Omer didn't deserve that, but that's the way sports are, and frankly, he is getting paid nicely to backup a great center with some fouling and injury (thankfully, not this year) issues, I'd be the first one to trade places with him :)

PS2: To those I mentioned (Rick and Mario), I have to admit that Dwight seems to be putting more effort or maybe the whole "feeding Dwight down low" seems more natural and less detrimental to the team-flow, he also seems to be engaging a little more in defense. Let's hope he is for real and is was wrong from day one :)

#9 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 68 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

Bukko, that is naive thinking.  it stops being coincidental when this plays out EXACTLY the way us "conspiracists" said it was going to play out.  He sat out 2 whole months with a phantom injury, and as luck would have it, is back just in time for the trade deadline. 

this story has played out a million times over the years.  and It was never about Asiks talent.  I liked his as much as anyone last year.

but he punked out this year.  i hope we trade him.  even in a salary dump.  just get back a 3&D and some size.  i dont care

#10 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 190 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

I would be quick to dismiss the rant if it hadn't come from JVG.  He's still tight with people in the organization by all accounts.  He wouldn't say something like that unless he knew something.

Edited by RudyT1995, 06 February 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#11 coachwood

coachwood

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 20 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

IMO Tmac debacle comes to mind when i read this...

#12 inpropagation

inpropagation

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 15 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

So, Van Gundy, without disclosing his source of information, claims on national TV that Asik is faking an injury, which is one of the most damaging things that can be said publicly about a professional athlete.

Meanwhile, the Rockets, who could suspend Asik if what Van Gundy says is true, have made no such claim. Indeed, the team has stated publicly that Asik's injury did not respond well to treatment and that multiple doctors have been consulted regarding the injury and treatment.

Finally, because Asik has not been seriously injured before (what difference does that make?), does not cater to the media and threw a snit over playing time earlier in the season (not particularly unusual for an NBA player), Van Gundy's speculation is given credence.

Frankly, I'm at least as inclined to question Van Gundy's judgment as I am Asik's.

Van Gundy: [Omer Asik] is basically holding the Houston Rockets hostage because he is not starting. I don't care what anyone says, he's still not unable to play and it's wrong. So much of this game is mental. Asik was one of my favorite players because of his defense and rebounding ability, but if you're not mentally right, you can be of no help.

Van Gundy cares not for what you say :D Maybe he really does know something.

Of course I too would be stunned if this is all Asik and his agent just putting on a charade until approaching the deadline... that is pretty reprehensible, even. But what would just be as impressive is the Rockets' damage control concerning all this. Wow.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure I read Jonathan Feigen say that he saw Asik's pretty swollen knee, but that was a while ago.

#13 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,994 posts
                      • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

I think Asik was really hurt but was sitting out until he was 100%. Most players play dinged up. I don't blame him one bit if that's the case. There's no reason to play injured. Why sacrifice your future for a franchise that doesn't want you? Of course my opinion is speculation just like everybody else's. The only person who knows the full truth is Asik.

Why so Serious? :D

#14 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 3,312 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

@RudyT1995

I agree it would be less credit worthy if coming from some other source, but from a VanGundy. more often than not they speak the truth. JVG is still close with D-Morey. I have heard Morey reference him several times as someone he consults with from time to time. I didn't need JVG to tell me what was happening............I figured that out on my own, however his statement confirms my suspicions.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#15 PhillyCheese

PhillyCheese

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 49 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:54 AM

If Asik is faking the injury then where are all the reports of him jumping around at clubs, bowling alleys, etc.  It's kinda hard to hide a 7'er and with today's intrusive media, someone must have seen him running about.  But there has been zero such reports.  Let's not crucify the man yet.

As for the trade requests -Omer has not been constantly talking about leaving to the media.  These reports all came from other sources or were leaked.  So I tend to presume innocence until proven guilty.

#16 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 3,312 posts
                        • Locationhouston

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:27 AM

@PhillyCheese

lol.........you make it sound like we are looking for a bigfoot or something :lol: there were no reports of Asik in the clubs before this injury so why would I expect them to suddenly appear because he's injured? I suspect Asik is a guy who keeps to himself a lot, not much of a party animal. at least that's the impression I get from him. if he's a party animal he hides it well.  as for his trade requests they are real........not just fabricated by the media. even Morey has admitted to trying to satisfy that request...........what do you think the December 19 deadline was all about? you can choose to believe whatever you wish, but to me the evidence has outweighed my doubts

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#17 Bigtkirk

Bigtkirk

Rookie

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 79 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

Giving Van Gundy's opinion credibility because of his close relationship with the Rockets is misguided.

Van Gundy made a defamatory allegation regarding a professional athlete, which is not actionable only because Asik is a public figure. As such, Van Gundy should have disclosed the basis of his allegation. If the basis was a source with the Rockets, then Van Gundy breached a confidence because the Rockets have not made such an allegation publicly.

Van Gundy is the one who has been irresponsible here.

#18 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 200 posts
                          • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

While I don't doubt that Asik was really hurt, in all honesty, I would take my time coming back, as well.  Coming from Asik's point of view, once D12 walked through that door, he (Asik) was no longer a centerpiece of the organization.  Knowing that he would either be traded or not re-signed, I'd probably save myself for the next organization that committed to me.

Everyone hyped him up as a top ten center last year, and now he's not starting - even though he would start on about 20 other teams.  If I were in his position, I'd wait to be 100% too.  No point it shortening my career for a team that WILL move me eventually.

What JVG knows or doesn't know is immaterial.  Once he went to broadcasting, his opinion lost a little luster.  You always try to stir up emotions in the target audience - that's in the Color Analyst 101 handbook.

Edit: clarity

Edited by Freebird, 07 February 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#19 PhillyCheese

PhillyCheese

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 49 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

I don't doubt he has asked to be traded.  But I do doubt the image that he was in Morey's office everyday asking about any headway.  As a fan of the Rox and seeing what he did for the team last year, I don't necessarily want to crucify a guy that the team needs to get far in the playoffs.  I'd much rather he  play 15 min a game backing up Howard, than the alternative of DMo for those 15 mins.

#20 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                            • 2,804 posts
                            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

I think Asik was really hurt but was sitting out until he was 100%. Most players play dinged up. I don't blame him one bit if that's the case. There's no reason to play injured. Why sacrifice your future for a franchise that doesn't want you? Of course my opinion is speculation just like everybody else's. The only person who knows the full truth is Asik.

This is most likely the closest to the truth.  I also wouldn't blame him for this given his situation. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users