Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Dan G : (17 April 2014 - 10:17 PM) That is some interesting news. We gotta get past Portland first, but I like that stat for the next round.
@  feelingsuper... : (17 April 2014 - 12:45 PM) So yesterday during Truehoop TV Amin said the teams that win any season series 4 to 0 go on in the post season with a 51 and 4 record versus the losing team. Hmmmmmm...
@  Buckko : (15 April 2014 - 05:22 AM) Hope we can get him back in the offseason, he was just signed for the rest of the offseason.
@  jorgeaam : (15 April 2014 - 04:16 AM) Bulls release Tornike Shengelia and sign Greg Smith, well, that didn't take long
@  Cooper : (15 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) nice win. Dwight looks like he's ready go. Bev's still a little rusty but he should be fine.
@  Sir Thursday : (14 April 2014 - 10:24 PM) Thanks huang, that's useful knowledge :).
@  08huangj : (14 April 2014 - 01:15 AM) I've watched a lot of his games
@  08huangj : (14 April 2014 - 01:15 AM) Guys, I live in Guangzhou. Just in case you didn't notice, Powell was in Guangzhou playing with the tigers before he came to the Rockets. No midrange shot. Good rebounder. Bad defender. Good at attacking the rim. This is my summary for his time at Guangzhou.
@  Cooper : (13 April 2014 - 11:16 PM) hes 6-9 so id guess more of a pf but it doesn't really matter either way I guess.
@  Buckko : (13 April 2014 - 11:02 PM) Not really, you seen his season averages? Not pretty.
@  Sir Thursday : (13 April 2014 - 10:18 PM) He's more of a PF, I thought. You could always make the specious "RINGZZZ!" argument, since he won two with the Lakers...
@  Buckko : (13 April 2014 - 09:04 PM) Waived Pittman, signed Josh Powell. I don't really get why they signed a scrub SF.
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:41 AM) In the postgame interview, Bev said he was alright, but it looked iffy...
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:40 AM) Not watching the game. Just looking at the play-by-plays.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) Rockets win!
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) Oh gosh, I hope Beverley isn't hurt again... He was taken out in the last few seconds limping after falling and looking like he hurt his right knee...
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) yep
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:35 AM) Harden, Lin, and Beverley all coming up big in these last few clutch minutes.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:01 AM) And why is Parsons missing?
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:00 AM) If Rockets don't get better soon, they are not going to be the fourth seed in the western conference.

Photo

We are all Donatas Motiejunas - Part 1

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

New post: We are all Donatas Motiejunas - Part 1
    By: Richard Li

NOTE: Despite being the data guy, there is no statistical analysis in this post. Once in a while, I, like everyone else, am allowed to form an opinion that is unsubstantiated by data. And now I’m going to shout that opinion through a megaphone to convince the internet that it is correct.

Last year I found myself in an employment situation that could be politely described as shitastic. My workplace was small, about ten people, two of whom were bosses. Because my office was my office, otherwise merely bad situations became apocalyptic ones. I’ll spare everyone the gory details, but I do want to share one anecdote from those dark days.

Before the start of a big office project, one of our bosses declared publicly that there were two types of people in the office, “visionaries and worker bees.” He then identified himself, the other boss, and two others as visionaries, and the rest of us as worker bees. Then he told us to get to work.

Unsurprisingly, all contributions from the four visionaries made it into the project and all contributions from the worker bees did not. While everyone knew that not all suggestions could be included in the project, explanations for exclusion were never provided. Everyone was then required to work on only the ideas that made it. We non-chosen ones were given tasks like examining margins and punching holes. And even then our marching orders often duplicated each other’s, because it was inconvenient to them that we were there, like we were mouths to feed instead of contributing members of a team.

Four people were invited to the budget meetings for the project. You can use your imagination to determine which four. One day, a budget meeting was called at 5 PM. Since we had nothing to do, the rest of us went to happy hour. The next day, we were scolded for leaving while the chosen four were still working. One boss was particularly appalled that we had not brought them anything from our outing.

After we finished the project, we had a meeting to review how everything went. One boss said that his goal was to create a feeling of ownership, so everyone felt like this project was theirs. Right then, I knew that I felt no ownership over what we did. I put in the time (save the fateful happy hour), went through the motions, met all my deadlines, but could not have cared less about what we produced.

At this young stage of the season with a squad full of young players, I personally do not believe that everyone on the Rockets feels ownership over the team’s product. I have this opinion because of anecdotal evidence that I’ve witnessed and am now choosing to cherry pick.

A few weeks ago, I wrote in a 5-on-5 about a curious incident in which Aaron Brooks refused to pass to Harden at the end of a close game. This came after Harden went into heroball mode, again. There are several incidents (sorry I’m not going to go back through Game Pass to make video, you’ll just have to take my word for it) of players haphazardly jogging to the corner, standing around for fifteen seconds, then sulking in frustration. Some players are better at hiding it (Beverley, Motiejunas). Some are not (Lin, Brooks).

Those players are in dangerous territory. Like I did, they’re putting in the time and going through the motions, but they feel less and less like part of the team. Though they won’t admit it, but they’re becoming less interested in the product on the floor because they don’t feel like they’re contributing to that product. They don’t feel like their roles are valued. They just think their role is to run around until the more important guy isn’t tired any more.

These feelings are bubbling to the surface, from both “sides” of the team. Asik has been on the permanent trade block and seems disinterested in everything. Motiejunas has asked for a trade. Lin and Francisco Garcia have been mentioned as trade pieces. Every time this happens, the blogosphere asks who can the Rockets get who would fit well? My answer has always been nobody, because these are all pretty good players. The Rockets just can’t make them happy. It’s not about any single player’s fit with the Rockets, it’s about how the Rockets fit their players together.

There are nice guys on the Rockets. From what I can tell, they like each other, hang out together, joke with each other. But having fun with each other is different from feeling ownership over a collective product. After all, I had a great time at happy hour with those guys from my former work team, though our camaraderie didn’t help us gain any professional ownership over anything.

That’s the bad news. The good news is that it’s getting better.

Click for Part 2.

#2 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
    • 1,019 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:09 AM

New post: We Are All Donatas Motiejunas - Part 2
      By: Richard Li

Click here for part 1 of this post. 

The Spurs-Mavericks back-to-back last week was interesting. With Harden out, the Rockets three remaining guards were more aggressive (again, no data, you’ll just have to take my word for it). Not only Lin and Brooks, but also Beverley was penetrating with regularity. He even showed off a spin move I didn’t know he had. Motiejunas went into Lithuanian lion mode. He crashed the boards (19 in 44 combined minutes) and showed some tenacity defensively. The team as a whole was much less talented with Harden out, but I’m positive each player felt more ownership over the final product.

That cohesion continued into the Cavs game, in which the Rockets bench ignited two runs and were clearly the difference in the game. My favorite sequence came in the third quarter immediately after Howard was whistled for a 3-seconds violation. On the previous defensive possession, Motiejunas was called for a blocking foul. While Kyrie Irving shot his technical free throw, I could clearly see Beverley talking to Motiejunas and demonstrating defensive positioning techniques. On the ensuing inbounds play, Motiejunas drew a charge on Irving. On the next defensive possession, he made a stop by himself.

My favorite single moment from the Cavs game was immediately after Lin got his triple double. The camera panned over to the elated Rockets bench. The most elated player, who was jumping up and down like a three year old kid, was Aaron Brooks. He played exactly 0 minutes that game but was acting like he just got his own triple double and his mom was cooking dinner for him back home.

What I’m talking about isn’t a mystery. In his book, Bill Simmons calls it “the secret.” Basically, the secret of winning basketball is that it’s not about basketball. It’s about guys who want to be on a team with each other, who want each other to succeed, and are willing to kill themselves for each other. We always hear about players who make other players better. We hear about locker room leaders and glue guys. But you know what? We don’t actually see this happen that often. In fact, we see dysfunction and complete chaos a lot more frequently.

And before anyone suggests that it’s purely a matter of individual ego, consider San Antonio and Miami. It’s awe inspiring how washed up or seemingly middling players go to these teams and magically become indispensable role players. Marco Belinelli is shooting 51% and 48% on threes this year while playing more minutes. He shot 43% last year on the Bulls. Miami’s vaunted bench currently includes two certified nut cases in Chris Andersen and Michael Beasley. In Beasley’s case, he even got a haircut and seemed go through emotional puberty overnight.

Does anyone think Belinelli would be shooting 48% on threes on the Rockets? Does anyone think Birdman and Beasley would be upstanding citizens on the Rockets bench? Their talent is allowing them to succeed, but it’s the institutional culture around them that’s making everything work. Fun thought exercise, do you think Asik would still throw a fit if he had to back up Duncan on the Spurs?

The question is how does a team build that type of cohesive institutional culture? What, you think I have an answer? I don’t. I consider it an accomplishment if I don’t get chosen last for a pick-up game at the Y. That’s the extent of my basketball knowledge as a player.

I do know that that a team’s best players and coaches, the visionaries if you will (though they should never be dumb enough to call themselves that), have more responsibility in this than anyone else. It’s not just about minutes (though minutes help). It’s about how they value their teammates’ roles contributions. OK, so Ronnie Brewer isn’t playing much, but how can he be put in positions to meaningfully contribute to his team’s performance? Is he valued in as someone to practice with/against? Are his suggestions listened to during team meetings?

Remember 5-6 years ago when Nate Robinson was a bench warmer on the Ubuntu Celtics? Early in the season, Doc Rivers said that, despite riding pine at that time, Nate was going to win a playoff game for them. And then he blew up during a playoff game later that year. Now, Nate Robinson isn’t exactly known as a level headed team player. He’s not just going to say, “Cool. I’ll just sit here and do jack shit, not even get into games, and be perfectly happy with it.” During that season, the Celtics were doing something behind the scenes to actually make Nate feel valued, that allowed him contribute, to make him keep trying and wait patiently for his opportunity. Maybe they asked him about his experience playing against certain opponents. Maybe his advice made it into the game plan. Maybe Kevin Garnett thanked Nate for his scouting contributions after a game in which Nate played 0 minutes. I don’t know. These are just ideas I’m making up, but they make sense to me.

That’s why I write about concepts such as selfishness, heroball, and bench minutes. And that’s why I personally focus so much on coaching decisions and Harden. They’re the ones with the most capacity to affect the team’s culture, to make everyone feel valued in their roles and want to contribute. I find it troubling that Harden’s teammates seem to play more freely and rally around each other when he’s not playing. I find it troubling that the coaches haven’t seemed to pick up on this.

The Rockets bench players are valuable contributors, not inconvenient mouths that need feeding. Hopefully this past week a harbinger of things to come, and not just a happy hour away from the bosses.

#3 thenit

thenit

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 494 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:04 AM

Certainly thought provoking. Need some time to digest it. Great read.

#4 Opasido

Opasido

• Members
        • Pip
        • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:30 AM

Excellent articles. You asked the question "The question is how does a team build that type of cohesive institutional culture?" I think you answered your own question by singling out Harden and coaches. They're the ones who build that cohesive culture. Remember when LeBron got into a fight with Chalmers, but 10 mins later he swallowed his ego and said to Mario "My bad"? That's the type of leadership Harden and Howard need to have. I'm don't think Harden is mature enough for that. It will take a painful playoff loss, like LeBron's 2011 finals loss, to instill that maturity in him. And somebody who could tell Harden that the ego needs to go - ideally that would be McHale. So, i think the problem is two-fold: harden's not mature enough for the leadership position, and McHale's won't put his foot down and knock some sense into Harden

This article didn't really have anything to do with D-Mo though.

#5 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
          • 1,797 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:00 AM

Great piece Richard and I'd say time is what they all need. In time they will experience successes and failures and they will grow, it's still so early on you know this team is just a toddler, just learning to walk.

#6 sli

sli

• Members
          • Pip
          • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

Wow Richard, even without the geeky charts, you still provide tons of thought-provoking insights! :)

#7 Futureinterest

Futureinterest

• Members
            • Pip
            • 41 posts
            • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

Great article. Harden is young and will mature. I think he was a lil full of himself but I already see him improving his attitude which is encouraging. The same though cannot be said of the coach. Frankly, McHale has shown he isn't very good at managing the club house. The players respect him but he doesn't build a positive environment. He's from the old guard and fits the mold of a "spare the rod and spoil the child" kind of coach. How many times do you see players want to leave Houston? Doesn't that strike anyone as being an indication of the coaches ability to relate to his players and make them feel valuable?While that old school mentality works for a coach like Popovich, McHale just isn't very consistent with his application of discipline. What makes Pop great is that he doesn't hold guys to different standards. They're all treated justly, and you just don't see that here in Houston. Trying to mix old school discipline and super star treatment just doesn't work. McHale isn't an awful coach but he is what he is... And I don't see that ever changing. I also don't ever see him leaving while Morey is in charge... So we just have to live with it. Alas.

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”― Mahatma Gandhi

#8 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 131 posts
            • LocationIsrael

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

Strong candidate for "post of the year" from my side.

Looking back a few years, it seems like the club culture is a good one - remember the 22W streak and the over-achieving days of Chuck Hayes and the gang? Many players who came into Houston with low expectations are now considered valuable NBA players. However, adding superstars like Harden and Howard and relying on a very young core create great culture challenges. As I see it things are definitely going in the right direction, and players are fitting in and finding their roles. Regarding Harden - just occurred to me that maybe he was trying to play it a-la-Durant (which was the model he saw as a young player), and he now starts to back off from this approach and do things his way, which is of course better.

As a fan and forum member, I decided some time ago to put aside the "who should we trade for" approach and move to "what can the Rockets do better". Seems like it happens across the forum - haven't seen KLove or Millsap's name for some time...

#9 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,395 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Great article. Harden is young and will mature. The same though cannot be said of the coach. Frankly, McHale has shown he isn't very good at managing the club house. The players respect him but he doesn't build a positive environment. He's from the old guard and fits the mold of a "spare the rod and spoil the child" kind of coach. How many times do you see players want to leave Houston?

Other than Asik, just exactly which Rocket player(s) are so desperately wanting out of Houston this season because of Coach McHale?

If Coach McHale supposedly wasn't building a positive environment, then how did TJones go from hardly playing last season to starting at PF this season? Was that by pure accident?

And how has Motiejunas found time on the court the past few games? I assume another pure accident.

For some reason, Coach McHale's system which is pretty much free flowing and allows the players a lot of freedom and is the system pretty much all NBA players would prefer to play in is detrimental?

If anything is detrimental, it's the short amount of time this roster has been together and the fact our team is one of the youngest in the NBA. There is no magic wand to wave that all of a sudden makes all the growing pains disappear.

By the way, Coach McHale's system is good enough to be 3-0 against Popovich this season.

#10 dbd

dbd

• Members
              • Pip
              • 39 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

Love it. I hope Morey, McHale anc Co. had a chance to read something like this.

#11 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 398 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Other than Asik, just exactly which Rocket player(s) are so desperately wanting out of Houston this season because of Coach McHale?...

...By the way, Coach McHale's system is good enough to be 3-0 against Popovich this season.

I agree with all of your points, Rockettrick.

I believe there is some misconception about Harden's role in building this environment. The source of this misconception is that Harden doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve like others do: Howard, Lin and Brooks, so it's hard to gauge what's going on out there. But, you do catch glimpses: Patting Howard's ass, chest bumps, waving the towel around during a bench unit rally, and even the Shao-Lin handshake that made news last season. Couple that with the camaraderie that he, famously, had built with Durant and Westbrook and you see a player who is probably very easy to get along with in the locker room, and one who fosters a positive team environment. If, that environment didn't exist, believe me, you would have heard about it from Howard already. I think McHale does a good job of keeping this team cohesive also, he seems like a "Players Coach", proof being in the freedoms he gives his players on the court. This team has been with him as he suffered some extreme hardships over the past couple years. These things bring people together and brings his status among the players as being closer to "human" than "revered-basketball-legend-turned-coach"

You see the opposite situation in the Lakers and Kobe. The successes enjoyed by the Lakers came at times when their roster was so replete with talent that it could overcome any lack of friendly camaraderie. But, you never hear of a player that leaves the Lakers, and wishes they could go back, Shaq, World Peace, Howard and Bynum included. Add a similar personality, like Nash and it's a recipe for disaster.

Harden walks a fine line as leader of this team. People are so quick to negatively judge him for his late game hero ball, but the flack would come faster and harder if he disappeared late in games, or let's say, deferred to Brooks or Casspi in the clutch instead of making the play himself. His biggest challenge is striking the balance between. He is learning and getting better though.

#12 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 195 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

Team chemistry is always the final piece after amassing talent.  It is also one of the hardest things to really quantify.  Pat Riley has a great quote about the "disease of more" that always creeps into championship locker rooms.  Bill Simmons brings it up a lot but it is a natural thing that occurs in a room full of hyper-competitive people whose very livelihood depends on their assists per game and their marketability off the court.  If one guy is worried about his shoe deal while the next is worried about hitting his stats to make his bonus, winning the next game against a cellar dweller becomes less important.  That is what McHale and the staff need to eliminate from the locker room.  I don’t see any evidence these guys don’t like each other.

Am I the only one who thought of this?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GCi_PIz5ekU

#13 John P

John P

Rookie

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 78 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

Based on this and the same feelings that I have...we definitely need a perimeter defender that is strong as is a neutral to positive on the offensive side. ...but going along with this piece, we also need to make sure that player is a leader, glue guy, whatever you want. Hopefully he is a veteran, like Indiana did with David West, and even Scola, who is mature, respected and holds players accountable. As I have mentioned before...we need a younger version of Battier.

If Iggy was free that would work wonders but I doubt GS would trade him for anything at this point. I will have to keep thinking about who would work.

Great article. Thanks for the write up. Although I was really looking forward to some analysis of DMo too.

#14 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,395 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Based on this and the same feelings that I have...we definitely need a perimeter defender that is strong as is a neutral to positive on the offensive side. ...but going along with this piece, we also need to make sure that player is a leader, glue guy, whatever you want. Hopefully he is a veteran, like Indiana did with David West, and even Scola, who is mature, respected and holds players accountable. As I have mentioned before...we need a younger version of Battier.
                        If Iggy was free that would work wonders but I doubt GS would trade him for anything at this point. I will have to keep thinking about who would work.
                        Great article. Thanks for the write up. Although I was really looking forward to some analysis of DMo too.

Can you please provide examples/specific examples of when Scola respected and held players accountable? I have no doubt that his recent teams, Rockets and Pacers, strive to hold their players accountable. However, your post is purely speculative in my opinion.

Edited by rocketrick, 04 February 2014 - 03:44 PM.

#15 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,395 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Team chemistry is always the final piece after amassing talent.  It is also one of the hardest things to really quantify.  Pat Riley has a great quote about the "disease of more" that always creeps into championship locker rooms.  Bill Simmons brings it up a lot but it is a natural thing that occurs in a room full of hyper-competitive people whose very livelihood depends on their assists per game and their marketability off the court.  If one guy is worried about his shoe deal while the next is worried about hitting his stats to make his bonus, winning the next game against a cellar dweller becomes less important.  That is what McHale and the staff need to eliminate from the locker room.  I don’t see any evidence these guys don’t like each other.

Am I the only one who thought of this?

Your link totally sucks. I have no clue of the point you are trying to make other than a disparaging thought you might have that nobody has a clue about. What a f'g waste of my time...................

Edited by rocketrick, 04 February 2014 - 03:44 PM.

#16 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPip
                          • 1,395 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

Am I the only one who thought of this? ;

My last message was meant for you, what a waste of time because your link proves ABSOLUTELY FREAKING NOTHING because it is not really a useful link. Maybe you are trying to earn money with commercial links or something. I don't understand whatsoever what your goal was here.

Edited by rocketrick, 04 February 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#17 goRockets

goRockets

• Members
                            • Pip
                            • 24 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Even Chandler Parsons has come out saying that when Harden is out, the Rockets go less iso and have more balanced attack. So obviously the sentiment that Harden plays heroball too much is not just felt by bench players, even the starters know this. I'm sure Dwight knows this too. As talented as Harden is in basketball skills, I haven't really seen him lead this team as lets say a Kevin Durant or Lebron James, even though basketball wise he has as much freedom as he has. I think the two games without him was good for his teammates and for him, hopefully he took some mental notes. Yes he's their best player, but there is no substitute for playing team basketball, you win more often when playing like team rather than a one man show. He's not the only guy on the team who can make plays, and there will be nights when the Rockets will need contribution from a lot of players to help them win, like the CAVS game, in which the starters were struggling and really needed Lin and DMo's spark off the bench. Hopefully this team continues moving towards playing for each other, rather than just with each other.

#18 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                              • PipPipPipPipPip
                              • 1,395 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

Even Chandler Parsons has come out saying that when Harden is out, the Rockets go less iso and have more balanced attack. So obviously the sentiment that Harden plays heroball too much is not just felt by bench players, even the starters know this. I'm sure Dwight knows this too. As talented as Harden is in basketball skills, I haven't really seen him lead this team as lets say a Kevin Durant or Lebron James, even though basketball wise he has as much freedom as he has. I think the two games without him was good for his teammates and for him, hopefully he took some mental notes. Yes he's their best player, but there is no substitute for playing team basketball, you win more often when playing like team rather than a one man show. He's not the only guy on the team who can make plays, and there will be nights when the Rockets will need contribution from a lot of players to help them win, like the CAVS game, in which the starters were struggling and really needed Lin and DMo's spark off the bench. Hopefully this team continues moving towards playing for each other, rather than just with each other.

Thank you for your insight. Please remember that it took Lebron James and Michael Jordan quite awhile to figure things out. The last I checked, Harden is still much, much younger than those 2 at this point in his career.

#19 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
                                • PipPipPipPip
                                • 972 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

Team chemistry starts with the players pop couldn't do what he does if Duncan and Parker didnt buy in, same could be said for okc and Miami everyone bagged on spoelstra when in reality he had a system set up for the heat to succeed but lebron and wade were still used to doing there own thing. In okc Westbrook brings it every game and if he feels anyone else is spacing a bit he lets them know. Durant has been on a tear recently but guys like lamb and Jackson are also getting involved and really improving. It's up to harden and Dwight to set the tone and mchale to maintain it.

#20 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
                                  • 1,797 posts
                                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

This seems like a very one sided view but of course you are entitled to interpret it however you like. I don't think we can necessarily take the liberty to assign meaning to what Parsons said. He could just as well meant that the Rockets offense suffers so much with Harden out that they have to use more ball movement to get by. The truth as with most things is probably somewhere in between, changing all the time and dependent on all kinds of factors.

Also I don't believe anyone is owed anything. Players must earn playing time and trust from coaches and teammates. If you are a Rockets player and your name is not Harden or Howard I'd say every time you are at practice you must show that you can be trusted to be on the floor and Jones has earned that less than a year and a half into his career. That is a great job beginning with Morey and his department, McHale and his coaches for developing him and providing leadership and Jones himself for putting in the work. For established rotation players they must show consistency and dedication to the team so that when the game is on the line those who carry this team, Harden and Howard, can trust the players around them. And all this is a process and takes time, maybe a year or two, even though fans would like chemistry to develop overnight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users