Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  feelingsuper... : (17 January 2014 - 08:00 PM) Mike and Seth on 610AM just mentioned Justin Wehr's graph comparing Harden favorably to other greats.
@  Richards : (17 January 2014 - 02:38 PM) It seems some already threw white flags. Repeated losses don't rattle them anymore.
@  feelingsuper... : (17 January 2014 - 02:35 PM) I agree Drew. Years ago when I was more emotionally invested this loss would have devastated me. Really this is just part of them paying their dues, I agree with rocketrick in that it will strengthen them. The mention if Asik was not an excuse just a logical thing to mention considering how physical the second half was, Dwight was all alone down low.
@  Drew in Abilene : (17 January 2014 - 02:14 PM) Yes, Houston lost after leading by double digits, but this was against a very strong Thunder team on the second night of a back-to-back with key players injured. Still stinks to lose a winnable game, but I don't see cause for panic.
@  rocketrick : (17 January 2014 - 11:41 AM) This game will stiffen the Rockets backbone for future tussles headed our direction. But man, that was one ugly second half to have to witness in person!
@  Buckko : (17 January 2014 - 07:40 AM) Asik has been injured, and you can't use him as an excuse. We will get him back by the end of the month though.
@  miketheodio : (17 January 2014 - 06:41 AM) another blown double digit lead
@  feelingsuper... : (17 January 2014 - 05:23 AM) Perhaps Harden should have shot more to find his shot in the second half, to get it going. The Rockets sure could use a committed Asik, it's a shame what he did to this team.
@  feelingsuper... : (17 January 2014 - 05:20 AM) I agree, it's crazy. Seventy three in the first half and 19 in the second half.
@  thenit : (17 January 2014 - 05:15 AM) I know but scoring under 20 in second half is deflating
@  feelingsuper... : (17 January 2014 - 05:14 AM) Not entirely unexpected, this is a young team searching for an identity facing a team with a system in place. This won't happen next year.
@  thenit : (17 January 2014 - 05:00 AM) Deflating to watch
@  MrLobble : (17 January 2014 - 03:53 AM) DMOs trade value is flying like a penny stock!
@  thenit : (17 January 2014 - 03:50 AM) hopefully this will end our cold streak from 3s
@  thenit : (17 January 2014 - 03:50 AM) So happy for dmo
@  RocketMansin... : (17 January 2014 - 03:47 AM) Only fan from Altus Oklahoma but it feels good.. Hope the Rockets finish this game and get this one!
@  feelingsuper... : (17 January 2014 - 03:32 AM) Sure is good to see Harden being himself and making those good passes that are leading to good shots for his teammates.
@  Sir Thursday : (17 January 2014 - 02:56 AM) I don't think it's so much a bad vs. good thing. The way I see it, it's much easier to talk about change than it is to talk about something that stays the same. When the team is losing, people suggest improvements and changes to make the team better. But if a team is playing well there are no changes to suggest...
@  Buckko : (17 January 2014 - 01:59 AM) Honestly, its like that for everything, in general people are too busy focusing on the bad rather than to enjoy the good.
@  feelingsuper... : (16 January 2014 - 07:59 PM) I agree rocketrick, it always seems strange how quick many fans are to complain. I guess I have been watching to long to have much to complain about right now plus it's not my style. Each unto their own.

Photo

Defense: Performance, Consistency, and Trends

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 835 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:10 AM

New post: Defense: Performance, Consistency, and Trends
    By: Richard Li

[caption id="attachment_13790" align="aligncenter" width="231"] Click for a full-sized interactive version[/caption]

Measuring individual defense is tricky. Even our primary defensive measure, points allowed per 100 possessions (defensive rating), is arguably more dependent upon what other people do than what a player of interest does. For instance, I am confident that a lineup consisting of Francisco Garcia, me, my fat neighbor, and his two obnoxious little children could achieve pretty good individual defensive ratings if we were on the floor while JR Smith decided to go on one of his epic three-point chucking expeditions. Garcia would just stand still in front of Smith while the rest of us eat nachos in the corner. A defensive rating of  no more than 70 would be guaranteed for all of us.

For this reason, I created a new defensive measure, called net defensive rating. It is calculated by subtracting the team's defensive rating for one game from an individual player's defensive rating for that same game (player's defensive rating - team defensive rating). Basically it compares a player's defensive rating to his team's defensive rating in order to better separate individual performance from team performance. The above charts show the net defensive ratings for each game for nine Houston Rockets players, their average net defensive ratings for the season, and the standard deviations for their net defensive ratings (as a measure of consistency).

Technical information

The line graph shows every player's net defensive rating for every game. The players can be filtered using the check boxes on the right. The thickness of each player's line represents how many minutes he played each game. On the x-axis are dates of games. On the y-axis is net defensive rating. You can mouse over a player's line to find more information about a game on a specific date. Remember, since this is defense, lower numbers are better. Each player also has his own trend line (the straight dotted line).

The left bar graph shows players' average net defensive ratings . Again, lower numbers are better. The right bar graph shows players' standard deviations. Standard deviation is a measure of variance; think of it as average distance away from an average value. So if I have two numbers, say 20 and 10, my average is 15 and my standard deviation is 5 because 20 and 10 are both 5 away from 15. In comparison, I can have two numbers, 16 and 14, and my average is still 15 but my standard deviation is 1. Back to the bar chart, a high standard deviation indicates a player is usually far away from his own average net defensive rating, and therefore is defensively inconsistent. A low standard deviation indicates that a player's performance is consistent from one game to the next.

Important limitations

All values are unweighted. That means a player's net defensive ratings for his games are considered equally when computing averages, regardless of how many minutes that player might have played in those games.

Observations

Let's start with the bar chart of averages. Dwight Howard is by far and away the Houston Rockets best defensive player, while Aaron Brooks is the worst. In fact, Howard is the only player whose average net defensive rating is negative, meaning he's usually defending better than the team as a whole. Not much surprise here.

The consistency measure is a bit more interesting. In addition to being the worst defender, Aaron Brooks is also the least consistent, not a good combination. Jeremy Lin and James Harden are the two most consistent defenders, with the lowest standard deviations on the team. But since those two are also two of the worst defenders on the team, that just means they're consistently not very good. And for all the acclaim that Patrick Beverley's defense receives, it's pretty much on par with Harden's and Lin's, but much less consistent.

The best news comes from looking at the line graph. The volatility of measuring defense definitely shows, with each player's line looking like the Dow Jones Industrial Average. However, despite the volatility, some trends are developing. First, some players are strongly trending downward, meaning their net defensive ratings are improving over time (Howard, Terrence Jones, and Chandler Parsons).

Brooks, Harden, Lin, Garcia, and Beverley (injury shortened) have flat trend lines, or at least flat enough that one can't really make any conclusions. Omri Casspi is the only player who could be argued is trending upward, though it's not a very steep climb.

Philosophical thought of this post

Defensive performance seems to correlate with size. The Rockets biggest guys have the best net defensive ratings, and the smaller the player the higher his net defensive rating seems to be. Maybe all the talking head babble about length and wingspan has some truth to it.

Conversely, if the above is true, then some of the worst defenders might be those who are worse than their size would predict, and vice versa for those who are better than their size would predict. The Harden/Garcia and Parsons/Casspi comparisons are worth mentioning here. Both pairs are similarly sized players who play the same positions and guard the same opponents, but one is playing better defense than the other.

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 2,403 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

Very cool stuff!  FYI, the graph is linked incorrectly and only takes you to an image of the chart--not the interactive version.

I would definitely like to look at certain line-ups and see how they compare.

#3 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 345 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

Very cool stuff!  FYI, the graph is linked incorrectly and only takes you to an image of the chart--not the interactive version.

I would definitely like to look at certain line-ups and see how they compare.

Click from the blog page rather than the forum and it takes you to the proper interactive chart.

#4 shirtless

shirtless

• Members
      • Pip
      • 17 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Sorry about that. Here's the link:

http://public.tablea...play_count=no#1

#5 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 181 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

That is interesting, although I would say Brook's defensive inconsistency is actually a plus since he is so terrible. At least he has a shot at being decent on some nights.

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 2,403 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

Ah, thanks.  Very cool chart.  One quick thing I noticed was Lin's defense was best when he played fewer minutes and Bev's seemed better when he had more minutes--which sounds like a recipe for success--at least on that side of the ball.

Great job, Richard.  I hope this gets updated as the season goes along--I would definitely like to re-visit it.

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 2,403 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

Another quick thought--is it possible to update this with wins and losses shown so that we can (attempt to) correlate the defensive performances with team results?

#8 shirtless

shirtless

• Members
          • Pip
          • 17 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:22 AM

Ah, thanks.  Very cool chart.  One quick thing I noticed was Lin's defense was best when he played fewer minutes and Bev's seemed better when he had more minutes--which sounds like a recipe for success--at least on that side of the ball.

Great job, Richard.  I hope this gets updated as the season goes along--I would definitely like to re-visit it.

I'm not sure I see the same correlation. If you're looking at Lin's low flat line, that represents the stretch of games he didn't play due to injury. There's no actual data there; it's just a line to connect the dots. 

I'll definitely keep updating this (along with some of the other charts) as the season progresses. 

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 2,403 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

Oh, my mistake.  Nevermind then  ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users