Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  YaoMan : (23 October 2015 - 04:49 PM) Zach Lowe seems to think the Rox are the biggest threat to GSW: http://grantland.com...-16-nba-season/
@  cointurtlemoose : (23 October 2015 - 04:36 PM) Hey if yall want a good podcast to listen to, find the Dunc'd On Basketball Podcast on Itunes, Rahat just did a Rockets preview with the host.
@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash

Photo

DwightLife: Dwight Howard's Curse

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:52 AM

New post: DwightLife: Dwight Howard's Curse
    By: John Eby

Dwight Howard’s arrival in Houston signals the arrival of one of the most dominant players in basketball, along with one of the most polarizing personalities in sports. Here at Red94, we are embracing the drama of Superman’s first season as a Rocket with a weekly column: “DwightLife.” This is the 12th installment.

What a difference a year makes.

Exactly one year ago, Dwight returned from injury to help Lakers end a 6-game losing streak by beating the Cavs. That was the 16-21 Lakers over the 9-30 Cavs, and it was kind of a big deal at the time. The Lakers were in full-on panic. Steve Nash called the win "mandatory." It was the team's longest losing streak since 2007. The Los Angeles Lakers, and Dwight Howard, were well on their way to being reduced to two words:

Which brings us up to last week, Dwight Howard pretended to fall asleep when asked about the Los Angeles Lakers. The matchup lost so much shine that it got dropped from national TV. How did the hype between L.A. and Dwight lose heat so quickly?

Part of it is the absence of Kobe, obviously. But the bigger reason is the boredom of predictability. The Rockets are 25-14, or about as good as you would expect them to be when you factor in their roster and their injuries. The Lakers are about as bad as you would expect them to be when you factor in their roster and their injuries. The Rockets were expected to win, and they did. Dwight won, and no one cared.

Here in the doldrums of the NBA season, it's clear that Howard has traded the hell of playing in Los Angeles for a different kind of purgatory. He's riding the Black Pearl of the NBA: a place where all the regular season wins in the world cannot slake his lust for a championship. He's cursed to be derided for every turnover, free throw and botched hook shot, and ignored for every accomplishment that doesn't bring a ring.

It's the curse of every great player that joins a good team in pursuit of a championship. LeBron broke the curse in 2012. Karl Malone touched the tainted gold when he joined the Lakers, and the dark mark still sticks to his legacy.

The quiet win over the Lakers was a reminder  that only one thing will validate Dwight Howard, and it's still a long voyage from now to June.

#2 pretty pleaze parsons

pretty pleaze parsons

• Members
    • Pip
    • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

I have a dumb question: how much are players paid per game in the playoffs? Because I'm trying to understand their seemingly outsized incentive for having 28 games added into their schedule.

If it's anything like overtime pay, the pay rate should be 150% or 200% of the regular season (also given the higher viewership and ad revenue.)

That post-season paycheck could come out to be a very big number.

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,137 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

Just Google it  :) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users