Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  MrLobble : (17 January 2014 - 03:53 AM) DMOs trade value is flying like a penny stock!
@  thenit : (17 January 2014 - 03:50 AM) hopefully this will end our cold streak from 3s
@  thenit : (17 January 2014 - 03:50 AM) So happy for dmo
@  RocketMansin... : (17 January 2014 - 03:47 AM) Only fan from Altus Oklahoma but it feels good.. Hope the Rockets finish this game and get this one!
@  feelingsuper... : (17 January 2014 - 03:32 AM) Sure is good to see Harden being himself and making those good passes that are leading to good shots for his teammates.
@  Sir Thursday : (17 January 2014 - 02:56 AM) I don't think it's so much a bad vs. good thing. The way I see it, it's much easier to talk about change than it is to talk about something that stays the same. When the team is losing, people suggest improvements and changes to make the team better. But if a team is playing well there are no changes to suggest...
@  Buckko : (17 January 2014 - 01:59 AM) Honestly, its like that for everything, in general people are too busy focusing on the bad rather than to enjoy the good.
@  feelingsuper... : (16 January 2014 - 07:59 PM) I agree rocketrick, it always seems strange how quick many fans are to complain. I guess I have been watching to long to have much to complain about right now plus it's not my style. Each unto their own.
@  BrentYen : (16 January 2014 - 06:46 PM) It's the same for most fan site I think.
@  rocketrick : (16 January 2014 - 01:21 PM) Interesting How Quiet This Board Is When The Rockets Win VS. When They Lose....Just Saying....
@  Sir Thursday : (16 January 2014 - 11:32 AM) It's either familiarity or he's just very competitive with his friend from college and that makes him play better. Either way, he always seems to bring it in this matchup!
@  BenQueens : (16 January 2014 - 04:24 AM) Jones clearly in top form against the Pellies. Is it familiarity w/ Davis's game from college?
@  SamC : (16 January 2014 - 03:42 AM) Turning point in the game was the 3rd quick foul on Davis and then again when Davis missed the FT to tie the game.
@  Sir Thursday : (16 January 2014 - 03:41 AM) That was a good win tonight. Surviving the fireball that was Eric Gordon has got to feel good.
@  SamC : (16 January 2014 - 03:38 AM) Harden was clutch
@  SamC : (16 January 2014 - 03:38 AM) Parsons played great D on Gordon.
@  Opasido : (16 January 2014 - 03:37 AM) I guess that's why we got Harden
@  SamC : (16 January 2014 - 03:30 AM) Jones kept us in the game but if we win, it's because of Harden.
@  SamC : (16 January 2014 - 02:41 AM) I think Jones could be the 3rd best player on the team
@  SamC : (16 January 2014 - 02:34 AM) Feigen is tweeting that Parson's limping

Photo

Houston Rockets @ Washington Wizards on January 11, 2014

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 832 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

New post: Houston Rockets @ Washington Wizards on January 11, 2014
    By: Paul McGuire

“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.”

Nowhere does Oscar Wilde’s statement ring true more than in the world of sports, but here in the nation’s capital, even as a highly disappointing Redskins seasons ends, the Washington Wizards really are not talked about.  To be perfectly honest, there is little to discuss.  There is no major player drama like in New York with JR Smith or Minnesota with Kevin Love, there’s no aggressive tanking for the #1 seed, no big winning streak to celebrate, or a shot for true playoff contention.  Even the team as a whole is average, right down to their near .500 record as well as a mediocre offensive and defensive efficiency.

An average team like the Wizards should not beat a team that is contending to win it all.  But as the Rockets have made clear all too often this season and particularly in last night’s loss against Atlanta, it does not take much for Houston to fall asleep and give away winnable games.

• Washington’s uncreative offense begins and ends with John Wall.  Wall will take advantage of his speed or use a screen set by one of Nene, Marcin Gortat, or Trevor Booker to drive and kick over and over again, and Washington does not have a lot of options if you can succeed in limiting both Wall’s athleticism and point guard skills.  The last time that the Rockets came into the Verizon Center, Wall did a great job initiating the offense while he also held Jeremy Lin to 2-9 shooting with just 5 points.  Lin has not been quite himself since returning from injury as well, and he came off arguably his worst performance of this season against Atlanta.
    • Houston’s injuries have badly affected their already shaky depth, but the Wizards have had problems of their own even when healthy.  Nene comes off the bench in order to provide 2nd quarter scoring, but aside from him, the Wizards are stuck depending on Jan Vesely and Martell Webster.  Much like Harden and Parsons have played heavy minutes due to a lack of good wing depth, the Wizards have had to play Wall heavy minutes to handle the fact that their main backup point guard this season…is Garret Temple.  The former Rocket is shooting 30% for the season.
    • Speaking of 30%: last night’s defeat against Atlanta was only the second time during the last seven games when the Rockets achieved the great accomplishment of shooting above 30% from the 3 point line.  With Chandler Parsons doubtful, the complete non-shooter in Ronnie Brewer in the starting lineup( who in 48 minutes of starting has scored 0 points), and Garcia slumping worse than ever, I must admit I am not looking for things to get better there tonight.

Rotation Spotlight:

Bradley Beal

Bradley Beal

After Beal’s stellar finish at the end of the 2012-13 season, there were some DC commentators who went so far as to declare that Beal could be the future of the Wizards as opposed to John Wall.  So far this season, Beal’s performance has instead shown the need to be careful of projecting a young player who finishes strong while the team engages on a blatant tanking run.

That is not to suggest that Beal is a bad player. But while he has been an incredible 3-point shooter this season at over 44%, he has not really improved anywhere else.  Beal looks for a jumper more than he looks to drive, and gets easily rattled by aggressive defenses that deny him the jump shot at all costs.  He has the capability to drive and pass, but it has been highly inconsistent for most of the season.  While Beal is shooting the ball well from 3, he currently is averaging less than 40% when he is driven off the line.

However, Beal, with a style revolving around screens and long-range shooting, is the exact sort of player who gives Harden fits on the defensive end.  The Rockets must play Beal tightly and not give him the 3 at all costs.  If they do, Beal will likely stay passive or begin firing up long 2’s, both of which will work well in Houston’s favor.

Tip-off is at 6 pm CST.

#2 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
    • 832 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:49 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 114, Washington Wizards 107 - Escape from Waterworld
      By: Rob Dover

It was a soggy night in Washington, and in a rare occurence the bad weather outside affected the basketball inside as the game was interrupted on two separate occasions thanks to a leak in the Verizon Center roof. If you stuck around past the rain delays, you would have seen the Rockets allow a huge lead to evaporate as they lost control of a game they were completely dominating for three quarters. They slide from 25 points up at one point to fall behind by 5 midway through the fourth, but were able to recover to escape with the win. For three quarters this was the most complete performance the Rockets have put on since Christmas Day, but the events of the final frame turned it into a nail-biter the Rockets were lucky to escape from with a win.

• Jeremy Lin and John Wall have a history going back to the Las Vegas Summer League before their rookie seasons, when the matchup between the two of them was possibly the highlight of the tournament. It's always been fun to watch the two play against each other, and tonight was no exception. For three quarters I thought Lin did a really good job of staying in front of  Wall and preventing him from getting to the rim. Several times he forced Wall to make a bailout pass from under the basket. But it all fell apart in the fourth when Wall seemed to move to another gear. He was a blur in the open court and got the rim at will as the Wizards erased a 15 point deficit in just 6 minutes.
      • Howard absolutely pulverised Gortat in the post whenever he got the chance. Gortat is by no means a small man, but it was incredible how easy Howard found it to back him down. Even when Dwight caught the ball near the three point line he was able to get all the way to the rim without facing up. The Wizards adjusted by benching Gortat and playing Nene and Seraphim down the stretch, and it worked a lot better for them.
      • This is the second consecutive game where the Rockets have gone through a stretch featuring several consecutive turnovers late in games and given up damaging runs to their opponents. I think you can trace a fair amount of the blame to a failure to adapt to adjustments in defending Howard's post game. Last night, the Hawks put pressure on the feeds to Howard, fighting hard to disrupt him as he made his catch and forcing passes to be made through a thicket of limbs. Tonight, the Wizards switched Howard's primary defender and started to double team more often. This is an area where I think McHale needs to step in quicker - when he sees changes like this he should call a timeout and suggest an alternative strategy. Otherwise we may well see more sequences like this in the future - if you can throw Howard off his game, the turnovers he coughs up can be very damaging otherwise.
      • On the back of a brilliant quarter from Omri Casspi (who had 12), the Rockets put up 38 points  in the second frame and opened up a 17 point half time lead. For the first time in a long while, the Rockets' bench actually looked productive. They ran a second unit of Brooks/Lin/Garcia/Casspi/Smith, and it worked really well.  Lin was in attack mode and getting to the rim, and Casspi was hitting from both outside and in. Garcia has been in a slump recently, but he was back to being quietly useful tonight, facilitating well and coming up with one of his trademark sneaky blocks. And it was great to have Smith the garbage man back on the court - his game has great synergy with Lin's when Jeremy is aggressive and able to penetrate. If he can stay healthy it will add some much needed pop to the second unit's offence.
      • Terrence Jones also had a good game tonight. He started slow but had a great third quarter, and had a key block late on to preserve the Rockets' fragile lead. My one criticism is that he continues to struggle mightily to box out on the defensive glass. The Wizards had 17 offensive boards tonight and a lot of them came when Jones' man was able to sneak past a ball-watching Jones for the offensive board. Particularly when the team is going through an offensive funk, these lapses can be very demoralising.
      • There was a clear emphasis in generating early offence from the Rockets tonight. For the first time in what feels like forever they were pushing the ball off makes and it got them several easy buckets. Nice to see and hopefully they'll be able to keep it up in subsequent games.

#3 rm90025

rm90025

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 57 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:17 AM

Glad you mentioned the Lin-Wall matchup at the Vegas Summer League.  I was at that game.  Was there to see #1 overall pick John Wall and the whole gym was wildly entertained as Lin basically outplayed him. 

#4 SDrake

SDrake

• Members
        • Pip
        • 29 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

Rob Dover, What game were you watching?  You wrote the following about the Lin/Wall matchup...

"But it all fell apart in the fourth when Wall seemed to move to another gear. He was a blur in the open court and got the rim at will as the Wizards erased a 15 point deficit in just 6 minutes."

But during the 19-0 4th quarter run by the Wizards that changed the game from a 97-83 lead to a 97-102 deficit, Wall only scored 4 of the 19 points.  Seraphin scored 8.  Who was guarding Seraphin? 

Or...  Why not discuss Howard's meltdown during the 19-0 run?  The following were among the play-by-play during the 19-0 run...

9:15 Dwight Howard traveling 

8:37 Dwight Howard lost ball turnover

7:28 Dwight Howard misses layup

7:07 Dwight Howard offensive foul

6:13 Dwight Howard lost ball turnover

5:50 Dwight Howard misses 7-foot jumper

5:11 Dwight Howard misses 2 free throws

Rather than blame the 4th quarter meltdown on Lin, it's obvious that Howard's play during the 19-0 run was far more significant yet drew no mention in your recap.

Edited by SDrake, 12 January 2014 - 05:38 AM.

#5 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
          • 1,536 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:08 AM

Rob Dover, What game were you watching?  You wrote the following about the Lin/Wall matchup...

"But it all fell apart in the fourth when Wall seemed to move to another gear. He was a blur in the open court and got the rim at will as the Wizards erased a 15 point deficit in just 6 minutes."

But during the 19-0 4th quarter run by the Wizards that changed the game from a 97-83 lead to a 97-102 deficit, Wall only scored 4 of the 19 points.  Seraphin scored 8.  Who was guarding Seraphin? 

Or...  Why not discuss Howard's meltdown during the 19-0 run?  The following were among the play-by-play during the 19-0 run...

Rather than blame the 4th quarter meltdown on Lin, it's obvious that Howard's play during the 19-0 run was far more significant yet drew no mention in your recap.

Wow, how do we reason with this. I do not see Dover assigning blame to any specific player much less Lin.

That my friends is persecutory delusion.

#6 Patrickswayze

Patrickswayze

• Banned
          • Pip
          • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

Dwight Howard, Dwight Howard 10 years and a 15 ft shoot is his kryptonite.

#7 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 848 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

Dwight still managed 23pts. And has the highest FG percentage of the top 40 scorers not named lebron who has taken a 100 less shots than Durant but still has more makes at an unreal 59% . Would be nice if Howard had a significant midrange game but he still gets buckets.

#8 sli

sli

• Members
              • Pip
              • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

<br /><br /><p>Glad to finally see it mentioned in a post-game recap: opposing coaches making adjustments that would neutralize Howard's post game. I could see it after only a few games into the season. I could never discern McHale ever making responding adjustments. If Howard was beasting in the first half due to the opposing team defending him one-on-one, it would all disappear once the opposing coach outlined the adjustments to his team during half-time. Howard putting the ball on the floor when double-teamed is a sure TO. Howard racked up the TOs in the 4th quarter in today's game. But in other games when the opponents double-teamed him right from the start, Howard would run up 3 to 4 TOs in the first 6 minutes. I wish I could discern McHale effectively managing his team right away when Howard had suc TOs.</p>

#9 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 869 posts
                • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

I think you'll find my third bullet point covers the period on offence that you're talking about.

The start of the fourth quarter was characterised by Wall continuously pushing the ball in transition, beating his man and forcing a rotation from the help defender. Seraphim got most of his points off dump-offs and offensive rebounds as his man was drawn away to help on Wall. To be honest I don't think anyone could have stopped Wall with the mood he was in, but it was definitely him sparking the comeback.

As I said, I thought Lin did a really good job on Wall in the first three quarters, and it was noticeable how much Wall easier it was for Wall to get to the rim when Brooks was guarding him. I actually wrote a separate bullet about how awful Brooks' defence was against Wall, but had to get rid of it to fit under my word count limit. (But seriously, it was awful. Watch the last minute of the first quarter and you'll see Wall smoke Brooks on four consecutive possessions).

ST

#10 linonlyfan

linonlyfan

• Members
                • Pip
                • 34 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

I liked this game a lot aside from the bit where the Wizards came back. I thought the first 2 quarters looked good, the offense smooth with a clear emphasis on Dwight first with with a lot of action coming from after he gets the ball in a threatening position. Part of it I feel is Harden played a lot more off the ball and as a decoy while the PG and forwards focused on getting good entry into Dwight to start off the offense.

Im not surprised Dwight had some trouble later, the rhythm he got into was completely disrupted when the Wizards suddenly changed up the way they defended him. Again this highlights the need to ensure the whole team gets their reps on various looks that Howard will get particularly in the post season where a experienced team like San Antonio will give Howard a totally different reception each time. I actually think the team has most trouble with teams that aggressively deny the post entry pass (as Atlanta did to some extent) because then the action bogs down trying to create a open pass and when nothing happens the guards go into attack mode with no clear out, the defense set and not that much time left on the clock. The team needs to get into the mode where they can recognize the specific current defensive scheme fast and adjust on the fly.

The defense was good. I didn't look too closely but there felt like there weren't too many glaring examples of either Harden or Lin getting toasted through inattention. Harden looked like he was really trying and I saw one very good 3 point contest. Also Harden stopped the late Wizards run with some amazing shotmaking which basically is priceless.

Question? Does a pass into the corner for a Brewer 3 count as a turnover? It probably should.

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 2,403 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

I thought Dwight's defense on Seraphin in the half-court sets was decent and Seraphin just made some quality post moves and made them.

Also, Wall notched 10 pts and 6 assists in that comeback stretch.  It started in the 3rd quarter (score was 83-59) when they made up 9 of the 24 points they were down and ended when they took the lead at 99-97 in the 4th. 

#12 jlewey

jlewey

• Banned
                  • Pip
                  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

Dwight still managed 23pts. And has the highest FG percentage of the top 40 scorers not named lebron who has taken a 100 less shots than Durant but still has more makes at an unreal 59% . Would be nice if Howard had a significant midrange game but he still gets buckets.

I think Swayze is talking about free throws cause a free throw is a 15 ft shoot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users