Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Buckko : (04 January 2014 - 09:42 PM) If Hazewinkle used mediocre at best to describe the rockets right now, I wonder what his opinions on the Texans were.
@  Opasido : (04 January 2014 - 08:49 PM) Shouldve crushed the knicks though. They were on B2B and melo injured, rockets were pretty refreshed. oh well
@  rocketrick : (04 January 2014 - 02:48 PM) If the Rockets are truly "mediocre at best" per Hazewinkle, what does that mean for the rest of the NBA (22/30 teams with lower winning % than us)?
@  RollingWave : (04 January 2014 - 12:44 PM) With Lin, I notice he looked like he took a hit or something early in the 3rd. that and/or maybe Tyson Chandler figured out something with how he play screens and out smarted him
@  RollingWave : (04 January 2014 - 12:43 PM) for all the crap he took Garcia played pretty well this game, Smith was really quite but managed to defend the paint pretty well too
@  RollingWave : (04 January 2014 - 12:39 PM) though this game for once almost all the bench guys had a good game in +/-
@  RollingWave : (04 January 2014 - 12:36 PM) Lin was legitimately awful in the 3rd, which was strange, I took a look again and he played the screens really well in the first 2 quarter then suddenly couldn't read any screen in the 3rd
@  rocketrick : (04 January 2014 - 11:56 AM) The Knicks shot only 25% in the 4th quarter. AB, Garcia plus D12, Harden and Parsons were the most effective defensive rotation tonight.
@  Dayak : (04 January 2014 - 05:48 AM) Hot hand? 1-8 FGM-A. Lol, SMH.
@  Dayak : (04 January 2014 - 05:47 AM) Thank you J.R. Smith. I just couldn't understand why McHale keep Brooks play for the entire 4th quarter
@  HazeWinkle : (04 January 2014 - 03:59 AM) i mean allowing defensive rebounding
@  HazeWinkle : (04 January 2014 - 03:54 AM) rockets got away with one but man our defense and offensive rebounding need alot of work
@  Opasido : (04 January 2014 - 03:33 AM) Anybody else see in the last 20 seconds Bargnani wide open for a dunk if he just turned around? And JR Smith with that boneheaded 3? Won the game due to Knick's boneheaded mistakes
@  rm90025 : (04 January 2014 - 03:33 AM) Rockets were very lucky because of JR Smith's complete lack of basketball IQ.
@  Chai : (04 January 2014 - 03:29 AM) wow i think my heart just missed a beat those last possessions.
@  HazeWinkle : (04 January 2014 - 03:16 AM) Harden made a play on defense\
@  HazeWinkle : (04 January 2014 - 02:55 AM) this team is mediocre at best
@  2016Champions : (03 January 2014 - 08:28 PM) Anyway, I'm glad to hear there was a players only meeting. Having a good long talk is exactly what was needed, plus a good practice session. The 2 days rest came at a great time. The schedule gets a lot easier from here, 75% of the remaining games are against sub .500 teams
@  2016Champions : (03 January 2014 - 07:24 PM) It definitely is tiring, but is that a good excuse?
@  BrentYen : (03 January 2014 - 07:16 PM) I guess it is to tiring to run it, especially for bigs?

Photo

The Rockets Daily - January 3, 2013

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 799 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

New post: The Rockets Daily - January 3, 2013
    By: John Eby

Like A Rock - On ESPN's Insider's list of most immovable contracts, Jeremy Lin's deal didn't make the top 5, which is Amare Stoudemire territory, but it did warrant an honorable mention:

Quote:

Two years and $16.7 million remaining for an average point guard. Because Lin was signed under the Gilbert Arenas provision, he is actually owed $14.6 million in cash next year.

Turning Heads - On Sunday I wrote about where Dwight Howard's game is in comparison to his L.A. and Orlando days, on Tuesday they wrote about it over at Hickory High, and now Greg Anthony is talking about it on Yahoo. It's becoming pretty clear that Howard's malaise in L.A. is not going to define the rest of his career.

Juicy SportVU Goodness - Andrew Johnson at Hickory High has a new way of measuring turnovers, and it's really good. Instead of measuring turnovers percentage as by how many times the player turns it over out of plays that the player ends (as in with a shot or drawn foul), it measures how many times the player turns the ball over out of every 100 times he touches the ball.

Dwight Howard and James Harden come in at 17th and 18th worst in the league by this metric, turning the ball over nearly six times out of every 100 touches. Harden doesn't look so bad by the older turnover percentage metric because he takes so many shots, but this reveals exactly how often he really loses the ball.

Oof - Chris Ryan takes a good hard look at Chandler Parsons' brand management in the latest Grantland NBA shootaround. It's a little cringeworthy: Buffalo David Bitton clothes, Express watches, and Anta sneakers. Ryan writes:

Quote:

Look, I understand that a yearly salary of $926,500 means you have to do whatever you can to make ends meet. While Jeremy Lin is out there buying a bed frame made of Swiss Pearwood with "Poison Pill" etched into the headboard, Chandler Parsons is living just enough for the city. But that doesn't mean he should be abandoning good brand management.

Of course, the other way to look at it is that Parsons has made sure his brand reflects that he cavorts with models, is big in China, and wears exactly the brand of watch that guys who look like Chandler Parsons would be expected to wear. Long live the Hair.

Signing Off - Well guys, writing the Daily has been a heck of a ride, but it's time to go. This is my last one, and on Monday a new guy will be writing these. I'll leave it to Rahat to introduce him to you all, but suffice to say he's more than capable.

As I wrote a few months ago, I'm giving up the Daily because I've got a kid on the way. I'll still be around, writing the DwightLife series and posting in message boards. Be seeing you.

#2 Steven

Steven

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,285 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

Boooooooo. You need to get your priorities straight. ;)

Congratulation on your child. How much is a Rocket's onezy going for?

#3 since86rocketsfan

since86rocketsfan

• Members
      • Pip
      • 12 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Good post, its a shame that Lin has only played one more year then Parsons, but gets nearly 10 times more. Even though Lin has improved this year as a reserve, he was giving that big deal to start. Last year was an average year at best for him, and if we did not get Harden last year, we would of won 20 plus games, and he would of really been exposed. It was a reason Morey brought back AB, and even drafted a point guard, he knew Lin was not worth that deal, and coming into the year was trying to trade him.  Again Lin has improved this year, but as a reserve, I know we can get somebody to be just as productive, if not more, for way less money. Parson's is easily a top five small forward in the league and is way more valuable to our team.

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 2,331 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

Good post, its a shame that Lin has only played one more year then Parsons, but gets nearly 10 times more. Even though Lin has improved this year as a reserve, he was giving that big deal to start. Last year was an average year at best for him, and if we did not get Harden last year, we would of won 20 plus games, and he would of really been exposed. It was a reason Morey brought back AB, and even drafted a point guard, he knew Lin was not worth that deal, and coming into the year was trying to trade him.  Again Lin has improved this year, but as a reserve, I know we can get somebody to be just as productive, if not more, for way less money. Parson's is easily a top five small forward in the league and is way more valuable to our team.

I love the pity that Parsons gets for only making $900K+  It's not serfdom :lol: I'm sure if he was unhappy he could just quit.  I just don't get the perspective so many have on this.

Regarding Lin and the speculation on Morey...One, nobody knows what Morey thinks about Lin except those who share office space with the man.  Now, you can say Lin isn't worth the deal, but putting words in Morey's mouth does not lend credence to your statement.  As far as trying to trade him--also not true.  The closest one can come to validating this is a rumor from a Chicago Bulls beat reporter here and it only says that Morey was making Lin and Asik available--which  is totally different.  Everyone except Howard and Harden is available on this roster...and Harden cold be had too for a select few.

I believe Lin is worth his contract.  It is a nice luxury having a guy on the bench who can step in and effectively start at PG or SG when needed.  Look around the league and you won't find a lot of guys like that--especially with his scoring ability.

While all these injuries have been a detriment in the present I believe they will help us down the road as our guys will benefit from the experience gained in the process.  If we can get to the playoffs at 100% health I think we will be a tough out for any team we face.

Parsons a top 5 SF?  That's subjective so I guess you can lay claim to that.  I'd put Paul George, Lebron James, Andre Iguodala, Carmelo (who has been playing PF, but is a SF), and Durant ahead of him.  So that is actually 6th place and the Iguodala spot is debatable.  Hmmmm, maybe he is a top 5 SF.  B)  Batum is close as well.

Here's the thing--of those 5 guys I listed, only Iguodala is not asked to lead his team (his value is on defense obviously).  It has been mentioned before and I will point out again--Parsons would struggle to be "the guy". 

#5 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
        • 1,505 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Thanks again for all the time you put into Rockets news roundups John. The Rockets Daily has been great and if the next writer can make them half as interesting as you made them they will still be worth the read. Congratulations on the new addition to your family and kids are definitely a time investment that is well worth the sleepless nights and all that, have fun!

#6 since86rocketsfan

since86rocketsfan

• Members
        • Pip
        • 12 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

Of course Lebron, Durant,George are ahead of Parson's, they are in there own class. Melo would be #4 because of how great he is on offense, but that is all he offers, because he does not make his teammates better. After that he is in the discussion. His game is so well rounded that Parson's could fit in with any team. Regardless how much of the man, you claim the top three to big, they have elite level players around them.

And since we signed Lin, I have been saying he is overpaid. When Dragic left we had to get somebody, I would bet any amount of money if Morey knew we were getting Harden he would not of signed Lin. I do not have to talk to Morey to predict his moves, and see what he is trying to do. Bev had a breakout year last year, and Lin had an average year. If Morey was so content with Lin, then why sign AB and draft a point guard, who skillset is built to play with a big man, and who can play without the ball(the main reason why Lin, comes off the bench) Lin's stock was so low, that no teams were interested in him, coming into this season. Do you think when we were trying to clear space to get Howard, Morey did not try and move him. Lin's contract is why we could not sign Howard straight up, and had to trade Trob, and eventually lost Delphino. Can you honestly say that Lin was worth 8 mill last year, at one point his shooting percentage was 30%. Harden saved the day.
          Now this year with Lin's improved play, and league wide injuries, his name is coming up in trade talks. He is a reserve, Parson's is a starter, and is way more valuable to our team.

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 2,331 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:05 AM

Of course Lebron, Durant,George are ahead of Parson's, they are in there own class. Melo would be #4 because of how great he is on offense, but that is all he offers, because he does not make his teammates better. After that he is in the discussion. His game is so well rounded that Parson's could fit in with any team. Regardless how much of the man, you claim the top three to big, they have elite level players around them.

And since we signed Lin, I have been saying he is overpaid. When Dragic left we had to get somebody, I would bet any amount of money if Morey knew we were getting Harden he would not of signed Lin. I do not have to talk to Morey to predict his moves, and see what he is trying to do. Bev had a breakout year last year, and Lin had an average year. If Morey was so content with Lin, then why sign AB and draft a point guard, who skillset is built to play with a big man, and who can play without the ball(the main reason why Lin, comes off the bench) Lin's stock was so low, that no teams were interested in him, coming into this season. Do you think when we were trying to clear space to get Howard, Morey did not try and move him. Lin's contract is why we could not sign Howard straight up, and had to trade Trob, and eventually lost Delphino. Can you honestly say that Lin was worth 8 mill last year, at one point his shooting percentage was 30%. Harden saved the day.
          Now this year with Lin's improved play, and league wide injuries, his name is coming up in trade talks. He is a reserve, Parson's is a starter, and is way more valuable to our team.

You've made such a compelling argument that I simply cannot find it within myself to disagree.  Well done.

#8 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,145 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:47 AM

(1) Is Lin overpaid? Probably so--especially next season due to the poison pill contract. However, without the poison pill contracts offered to both Lin and Asik there is a real possibility neither player would be a Rocket as their prior teams likely would have matched and kept each of the guys.

(2) Morey did try to sign Dragic but Dragic wanted that extra year in his contract that Morey and the Rockets were uncomfortable with. Thus Dragic became a Sun. Then the next free agent PG was Jeremy Lin. Whether Morey would have gone after Lin "if he knew" that Harden, then Howard were going to be Rockets later on is pure speculation. It's fun to speculate but that is all anyone can do. For sure, whether Harden or Howard, or both, or neither joined the Rockets, the fact remains the Rockets still needed a PG at the time Morey gave Lin the poison pill offer sheet.

(3) Why sign AB? Well, I think the proof is clearly in the pudding. Just look at all the injuries the Rockets have dealt with thus far this season. If it weren't for the fact that Morey signed AB, in my opinion the Rockets would be in trouble right now considering all the games that Lin and Beverly have missed, and will miss in the foreseeable future, because of injury. In my opinion, signing AB was not a reflection against Lin, just a smart move that has paid off thus far.

(4) I doubt Morey tried to move Lin to save T-Rob. Sure, if some other team made an offer Morey couldn't refuse for Lin, sure he would at least have to seriously consider it and possibly have accepted. Regardless, the Rockets still needed PG depth and couldn't simply rely on Beverly, especially with his shortcomings on the offensive end of the court. The trade to get T-Rob was basically to put the Rockets in better position later to sign D12. If T-Rob could have shown any signs of being a worthy starter during his time as a Rocket, that would have made things more difficult for Morey. But that simply didn't materialize. Heck, T-Rob is struggling with the Blazers and recently they have not been playing him at all.

(5) In terms of Delfino, he was a free agent after last season. No way the Rockets could sign him until after they signed D12. Plus the Rockets knew Delfino had a serious foot injury which is why he has played exactly 0 minutes thus far this season. Lastly, Milwaukee ended up giving him a 3-year deal, something I doubt the Rockets were interested in doing regardless if they signed D12 or not.

(6) It's not really fair to compare Lin's contract to Parsons' rookie contract. Remember also that Parsons was selected in the 2nd round which is why his contract is such a bonus for the Rockets. This is why Morey and the Rockets value early 2nd round draft picks. Less money, less guaranteed money and possibly better overall value. Morey has done great with his 2nd round draft selections in the past few years. Parsons will get paid after this season, in my opinion, because the Rockets can't risk losing him as an unrestricted free agent after next season.

(7) Parsons and Lin are 2 different players with different roles on this team. I believe that Coach McHale and the Rockets were on the right track by deciding to start Beverly and have Lin come off the bench as the valuable 6th man. In fact, Coach McHale is currently looking for a spark off the bench that Lin could otherwise provide if it weren't for the fact Lin is needed to start right now due to Beverly's injury. I believe if the Rockets are going to be successful this year in the playoffs, both Parsons and Lin (as well as the other key Rockets players) will each play an important role in our success.

#9 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,145 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:51 AM

It will be interesting to see how much Eric Bledsoe gets on his next contract after this season. Some ESPN Insiders expect $10 million plus. That is the going rate for a quality free agent PG in the NBA.

#10 Steven

Steven

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,285 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:28 AM

It will be interesting to see how much Eric Bledsoe gets on his next contract after this season. Some ESPN Insiders expect $10 million plus. That is the going rate for a quality free agent PG in the NBA.

I bet he gets $13M on the bottom end if not max.

#11 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 848 posts
                • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:57 AM

I bet he gets $13M on the bottom end if not max.

Yeah, I think there will be GMs of struggling teams around the league looking to throw money at him. He's one of the only real differences between last year's Suns team and this year's model, and they're leaps and bounds better. You have to give a lot of credit to Hornacek, but what's left probably goes to Bledsoe in the minds of talent evaluators.

ST

#12 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 968 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

Trob was undersized and far too raw of a tweeter and delfino is out for the year so I can't really care about losing those guys.

#13 since86rocketsfan

since86rocketsfan

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 12 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

I did not say Morey tried to move Lin to save Trob. I meant if Lin was getting like 2-3 mill, like he was worth last year, we have enough money to sign Howard straight up, and keep Trob, who would of been outplayed by the improved T Jones. We cannot act like Carlos was not productive last year, and that we would of liked to kept him.

And I know Dragic wanted that extra year, and with his play that year he earned it. After trading Lowry who I loved, I thought it was no way we could  loose both. Now you see how great Dragic has played this year, even as he has been teamed up with Bledsoe. That shows how he can play without the ball, and shows he would of played well with Harden. Yes, AB could of been here for injuries, but why draft a point guard. And with how great Morey is in finding talent, he would of plugged somebody else in.

#14 thenit

thenit

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 395 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

I did not say Morey tried to move Lin to save Trob. I meant if Lin was getting like 2-3 mill, like he was worth last year, we have enough money to sign Howard straight up, and keep Trob, who would of been outplayed by the improved T Jones. We cannot act like Carlos was not productive last year, and that we would of liked to kept him.
                      And I know Dragic wanted that extra year, and with his play that year he earned it. After trading Lowry who I loved, I thought it was no way we could loose both. Now you see how great Dragic has played this year, even as he has been teamed up with Bledsoe. That shows how he can play without the ball, and shows he would of played well with Harden. Yes, AB could of been here for injuries, but why draft a point guard. And with how great Morey is in finding talent, he would of plugged somebody else in.

How many players with Lins numbers and a decent young starting PG that is not on a rookie contract makes 3 million or less that season. You can argue 8.3 is too much but that his value should be that low is just dreaming of getting starters with that production to make 2.5 million.

Edited by thenit, 05 January 2014 - 08:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users