Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  miketheodio : (30 December 2013 - 04:01 AM) i agree. just saying all the guys need to have more confidence in their shooting. casspi and garcia particularly (sometimes parsons).
@  2016Champions : (30 December 2013 - 03:58 AM) I saw Ibaka disrupt a lot of shots at the rim tonight, and that wouldn't have happened if Ibaka had to worry about Jones launching 3's
@  2016Champions : (30 December 2013 - 03:57 AM) Even just one guy who defenders can cheat off makes it so much easier to double team Dwight or anyone else
@  2016Champions : (30 December 2013 - 03:56 AM) He's the only one I see defenders blatantly cheating off
@  miketheodio : (30 December 2013 - 03:56 AM) it isn't just jones who is avoiding it though.
@  2016Champions : (30 December 2013 - 03:54 AM) Then there's the intangible element of floor spacing as well. If he wasn't scared to take that shot then the floor would be more spread, and when the floor is completely spread it's practically impossible to stop our penetration
@  miketheodio : (30 December 2013 - 03:54 AM) they just need their confidence back. just turning down good shots too often.
@  2016Champions : (30 December 2013 - 03:52 AM) 33% = 1 PPP
And doesn't doesn't even factor in the chances of an offense rebound. So 33% from 3 is actually very efficient for us.
@  miketheodio : (30 December 2013 - 03:52 AM) i'd like to seem him go back to 2 attempts a game like he was doing earlier.
@  2016Champions : (30 December 2013 - 03:45 AM) I really wish Jones would launch 3's though, as long as he can shoot above 33% I'll take it.
@  2016Champions : (30 December 2013 - 03:44 AM) Regardless of who the better player will be 3 years from now, I still think Jones is the right decision just based on potential alone.
@  blakecouey : (30 December 2013 - 03:41 AM) obvious just knee jerk reaction but worth mentioning due to lamb's development going well.
@  blakecouey : (30 December 2013 - 03:35 AM) I wonder if we'd be better off had we traded T Jones than Lamb,, and buying a PF.
@  2016Champions : (30 December 2013 - 03:32 AM) It's not like we go straight into an iso soon as the ball is up the court. These isos are the follow-ups to failed executions.
@  2016Champions : (30 December 2013 - 03:30 AM) I think you mean poor execution
@  miketheodio : (30 December 2013 - 03:30 AM) i think that's due to poor decision making, not the overall offense.
@  2016Champions : (30 December 2013 - 03:26 AM) Don't get me wrong, I think our defense should be a bigger focus, but the fact Houston is one of the league leaders in isolations is a red flag imo
@  2016Champions : (30 December 2013 - 03:25 AM) Or the Mavericks, or Portland
@  2016Champions : (30 December 2013 - 03:24 AM) Remove those 2 elements from our offense and we're not even a better offensive team than Pheonix, which is sad because we have so much more talent than they do
@  2016Champions : (30 December 2013 - 03:23 AM) Like I said, we can't rely on fast breaks and offensive rebounds

Photo

Houston Rockets 100, Memphis Grizzlies 92: A Win. Somehow.

41 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 785 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:34 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 100, Memphis Grizzlies 92: A Win. Somehow.
    By: Paul McGuire

Sometimes, a contending team doesn’t show how great it is by winning on a last second clutch shot.  It doesn’t show how great it is even by blowing out the other team.  Instead, the Rockets showed their contending ability and talent…by winning against the Memphis Grizzlies despite playing like garbage for the vast majority of the game.

The Rockets started off decently, finishing the first quarter with a 26-23 lead, but even then the problems which would be apparent for the next two quarters showed themselves.  Houston is one of the worst defensive rebounding teams in the league, while Memphis is one of the best offensive rebounding teams.  During the second quarter, with Howard in continual foul trouble, the Grizzlies dominated the Rockets on the boards so badly that at one point in the second quarter, Memphis had as many offensive rebounds as the Rockets had TOTAL rebounds.  The lead expanded to 63-50 early in the 3rd quarter, and with Houston utterly unable to make 3’s, Howard neutralized by foul trouble, and Harden totally dependent on free throws, one couldn’t help but think the game was already over.

But just like the last game against Memphis, the Rockets rallied big in the fourth quarter, behind the efforts of Jeremy Lin and Donatas Motiejunas.  Motiejunas was called in the second quarter out of a desperate attempt to stop Memphis’s rebounding, and while he promptly gave up a 3 point play on his first defensive possession, he played well enough to get back on the court.  But during the 3rd and 4th quarter, Motiejunas and the Rockets as a whole actually played defense.  The Rockets swarmed Zach Randolph in the post, and Memphis lacked the offensive firepower to score afterwards, while Jeremy Lin erupted for 14 points in the 4th quarter.  The Rockets could not rebound, their stars couldn’t make shots, and they couldn’t hit a three, but they played well enough with their talent to beat a hobbled Grizzlies squad.

• Terrence Jones singlehandedly kept the Rockets in the game for the first three quarters.  He made his first 5 shots, ran the floor, and at times really was the only Rocket capable of scoring at all.  He finished with 20 points on 14 shots, but surprisingly did not play at all during the 4th quarter, perhaps due to the fact that he did struggle defending Randolph, something which the taller Motiejunas did a better job at.
    • In just the latest story in the continuing injury saga, Aaron Brooks went to the locker room late in the 3rd quarter with a sprained ankle.  Brooks did come onto the bench later and indicated that he was willing to play, but Lin’s excellent play down the stretch precluded the need for that.  At this rate, Earl Boykins should start preparing to warm up.
    • TNT stated that James Harden is the first player since Charles Barkley to score 25 points while making 2 or fewer field goals, which sort of speaks for Harden’s performance in and of itself.  Free throws.  Lots and lots of free throws.  More free throws, in fact, than the Grizzlies as a team.  Memphis was clearly visibly frustrated with the free throws and their inability to score late in the game, and reacted by launching some hard fouls at Parsons and Lin, picking up a late technical foul, and prolonging the game with fouls longer than was reasonable.

#2 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 197 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:51 AM

<br /><br /><p>Memphis' frustration with the refs is kind of understandable when you see Harden's line, but if you saw each of those foul calls, there's nothing to complain about. He beat his man and then got clobbered in the paint almost every time. It's not like the calls for Dirk, Kobe, or older MJ where he shoots a bunch of fadeaways and then gets a bunch of ticky-tack fouls called.</p>

#3 MrLobble

MrLobble

• Members
      • Pip
      • 25 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:13 AM

I disagree somewhat, Jeby... I'm the biggest Rockets' fan in the world, but I'm willing to admit that the refs were very generous to us in the 2nd half.

#4 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
        • Pip
        • 27 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:29 AM

These types of wins are very important. Big guy in foul trouble, no one can hit a shot, but defensive intensity and free throws down the stretch lead to a win? Sounds like a playoff game. Need to get Parsons and Harden more rest over the course of the season, though. They may be 25, but 44 minutes is a ton of minutes.

Edited by SadLakerFan, 27 December 2013 - 05:33 AM.

#5 datruth

datruth

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 106 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:36 AM

Glad to see McHale allowed Lin to play through a tough game.. 

#6 rm90025

rm90025

• Members
            • Pip
            • 42 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:46 AM

For the second game in a row against a quality opponent, McHale had no choice but to trust Lin, told him exactly what he wanted from him, and got more in return.  I think one aspect of his game that even Lin's supporters have not picked up on is how often he is asked to bail his team out of bad possessions with 7 or fewer seconds on the shot clock and how effective he is at scoring, getting to the line or getting a shot up at the rim that allows his defense a chance to reset.  He is taking a lot of shots that are normally reserved for the elite players and is remarkably skillful and efficient in his execution. 

#7 linonlyfan

linonlyfan

• Members
              • Pip
              • 23 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Lin started so bad even I would have sat him if I had a choice. But actually the whole team looked tired (except T Jones) and again somehow Lin's mistakes just look worse than others. That steal attempt on James Johnson that got the angry McHale timeout was just unforgivable. Again have no stats to back it up, but Lin's stride turnover on fast breaks looked about 10-20% slower than vs the Spurs and goodness did he look gassed in the 4th whenever a timeout was called.

Conley gave him a clear example of how to help and recover off a 3 point shooter one pass away in the 4th, but only after Lin drained 2 crucial 3's. Those 3's looked great, Harden clearly looking for him on a drive and Lin clearly ready to shoot.

Man a healthy and committed Asik and we would have totally put the game away sometime in the 2nd or 3rd. Big Turk, please come back, the team here has as good a shot as the 2011 Bulls to contend. And don't worry about the next contract, if you are featuring on a contending team you WILL get paid.

Edited by linonlyfan, 27 December 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#8 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 959 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

How come no one came up with the idea to cut Brewer and sign James Johnson, we complain about wing depth, there went a really athletic all around good player go to waste. I wish there were RFA rules for D-league teams.

#9 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPip
                  • 959 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

Demo surprised me.

#10 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 2,284 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm going to come in and rain a little on this Lin Love Fest.

5-13 from the field (2-4 from three), 2 assists, 4 turnovers.  But he did make 6-6 free throws...so he's got that going for him.

I do love the melodramatic digs at McHale--it really helps build the underdog overcomes persecution storyline.

I just don't have the words...I'll let Bill and Robert express my feelings...

eyeroll-o.gif1081.gif

#11 Chai

Chai

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 39 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

^ He also held Conley to 4-14 shooting for 11 points... Just saying

#12 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 223 posts
                      • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

^ He also held Conley to 4-14 shooting for 11 points... Just saying

I guess most ppl would say Conley held Conley to 4-14 shooting. Anyway, Lin did his part in that regard. :rolleyes:

LOF here.

#13 linonlyfan

linonlyfan

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 23 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

I didn't see anything outstanding that Lin did on the defensive end in this game unlike the Spurs game where the block on Parker at the rim had a clear effect on Parker's confidence. I think that was generally a Grizzly brickfest with no good shooters to expose Lin's still shaky 3 point defense. Lin sure made McHale mad on that overcommit on James Johnson, and rightly so. He did get called for a blocking foul on Conley that I thought was just good defense in the 4th. Even the 2 great defensive rebounds came from him drifting away from his man at the late stage of the play to get into rebound position, appropriate against Conley and Tony Allen, less so against Calderon, Danny Green or Ray Allen.

Not sure about love fest, that was a nasty game to see for 3 quarters despite the end results. I think in some way the refs did get into the grizzlies head more than the rockets, because the way the game was called just neutralised their hacky defense (and got Dwight completely ineffective as well). Good to see Harden attacking the Grizz defense though, something he seemed to shy away from last year and still does against Paul George. Somehow this team has to learn that when shots aren't falling, please be solid on defense and not look for the home run type steal play.

Thinking about it, i think there is a high chance that if Bev was available the final unit would still have featured Parsons Bev Harden and Lin which was the 4th quarter lineup McHale had mostly been going with before the injuries. This is despite the horrid 3 quarter line that Lin was putting up. Take out the 4th quarter production we are looking at 2-7 fg, 0-2 3pt, 0-0 ft, 4pts, 1 reb, 4 to over the first 3 quarters. How bad does that look??? 

At end of day all the critical thing Lin is lacking is consistency on both ends. He can defend, and he can contribute on the offensive end. The inconsistency is what drives coaches nuts. Sort that and the conversation will be different. Can he win a 4th quarter ala prime Derek Fisher? He probably has better physical ability but is lacking that eye of tiger killer instinct (which you saw on Parsons as he nailed that banker to extend the 4th quarter lead). Can he win a 4th quarter ala Lebron/Kobe/Harden? Not a valid conversation at this time, and may never be but well, thats kinda what H and H get the big bucks for. 

#14 linonlyfan

linonlyfan

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 23 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

Also imagine if the game was called more rough and tumble style. We can only hope Howard can still tear apart defences because Harden sure ain't getting to the line in a game where no blood no foul as per some playoff games.

#15 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 223 posts
                          • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

What I am saying was just, he did his part on D. And indeed that means nothing special happened from him.

Edited by BrentYen, 27 December 2013 - 06:48 PM.

LOF here.

#16 QGthree

QGthree

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

I don't think anyone has had a particularly special night against Lin this year, except maybe Chris Paul. As for drifting off of 3-point shooters, was I the only one that saw that Dirk won the game, and that nobody could guard him without help? Can Calderon make 3-pointers? Sure. But it's not like Lin can't guard Calderon, lol. He held him to 0 for 11 or something early this season. Dirk was killing. That's pretty much the whole story every time he drifts from a 3 point shooter.

If you watch Harden, on the other hand, he's just lost in the paint trying to get one of Dwight's rebounds.

#17 BenQueens

BenQueens

Rookie

• Members
                            • PipPip
                            • 62 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

I'm going to come in and rain a little on this Lin Love Fest.

5-13 from the field (2-4 from three), 2 assists, 4 turnovers.  But he did make 6-6 free throws...so he's got that going for him.

Overall, definitely not his best effort. But I think some love is understandable given that all his production came in the 4th quarter of a come-from-behind victory...

4Q: 14 pts (3/6, 2/2 3pt), 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 turnovers, draws 3 fouls, commits 2 fouls
                              1-3Q: 4 pts (2/7, 0/2), 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 turnovers, drew 0 fouls, commits 1 foul

His first half was really dismal, but we needed that production in the 4th.

#18 Richards

Richards

• Members
                              • PipPipPip
                              • 350 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

Abysmal performance in first 3 quarters and responded very well in fourth. That said he has tenacity to fight back and help to win game. That is a very rare quality. 

#19 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                                • 2,284 posts
                                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

Overall, definitely not his best effort. But I think some love is understandable given that all his production came in the 4th quarter of a come-from-behind victory...

4Q: 14 pts (3/6, 2/2 3pt), 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 turnovers, draws 3 fouls, commits 2 fouls
                                1-3Q: 4 pts (2/7, 0/2), 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 turnovers, drew 0 fouls, commits 1 foul

His first half was really dismal, but we needed that production in the 4th.

I agree.  I'm not against Lin at all and don't mind when he has a bad game (or 3/4 of a game)--that happens to every player.

I was raining on the parade because of statements like the following that I read in response to last night's game:

"For the second game in a row against a quality opponent, McHale had no choice but to trust Lin..."

"Glad to see McHale allowed Lin to play through a tough game.."

I am tired of the LOF-fueled "McHale is holding Lin back" story.  Lin averages 30 mpg and Bev averages 31 (partially because he had to play more while Lin was hurt so his average is slightly higher).  Lin's usg% is higher than last season and that's with the addition of Dwight Howard.  Lin has been entrusted to lead the team without other "stars" around him for support.  Yup, totally persecuted.  The bottom line is it doesn't matter how many times someone repeats something--it doesn't make it true...unless it's on the internet!

In fairness, there were two posts above from LOF's that were objective and weren't pushing any of that persecution agenda.  Kudos to you guys!

#20 thenit

thenit

• Members
                                • PipPipPip
                                • 379 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:13 AM

Glad to see McHale allowed Lin to play through a tough game..

he had no choice usually Lin wouldn't have checked in with 7min to go. But ab got hurt end of third and Lin started off strong so he let him stay on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users