Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  2016Champions : (04 December 2013 - 07:42 PM) Pop has the luxury of having Tim Duncan who makes Pop's job a lot easier, and he also has a longer leash with decision making because he has won championships.
@  feelingsuper... : (04 December 2013 - 01:20 PM) It's way too early for that kind of stuff. Way way too early.
@  rocketrick : (04 December 2013 - 05:20 AM) I don't ever remember Pop or Phil benching star players at the end of a close game
@  timetodienow... : (04 December 2013 - 01:23 AM) That's what Pop does. I think he's going to have to find ways to push their buttons like Pop and Phil do in order to win a chip.
@  rocketrick : (04 December 2013 - 12:45 AM) So Coach McHale should discipline Harden, D12 or both when they fail to follow the plan? Take them out of the game?
@  timetodienow... : (03 December 2013 - 11:09 PM) Who is that on? Mchale for not forcing the PnR or Dwight for refusing to do it? With Mchale's refusals to combat Harden's ISOs, I'd have to go with Mchale's lack of discipline.
@  2016Champions : (03 December 2013 - 10:19 PM) The reason his percentages are down are because he's posting up more now, where as he was mainly a pick and roll guy in Orlando.
@  2016Champions : (03 December 2013 - 10:18 PM) Dwight's numbers per 36 are actually about the same as his per 36 in Orlando, so his numbers aren't down as much as it looks on the surface.
@  Sir Thursday : (03 December 2013 - 11:39 AM) I think there is definitely something to the notion that Howard doesn't look like he has the same devastating explosiveness around the rim anymore. Probably still too early to come to any hard conclusions about whether he can still be an elite finisher there though.
@  jorgeaam : (03 December 2013 - 07:32 AM) Well, I think Dwight won't be posting 20-10 every night, but he should be able to finish more, I've seen him missing a lot of shots that he would have made in Orlando, I think it is more of a confidence issue with him, because in the Hakeem training videos he looked smooth.
@  RollingWave : (03 December 2013 - 06:11 AM) I do wonder if his finishing decline is a thing or a fluke
@  RollingWave : (03 December 2013 - 06:11 AM) he is getting a smaller % of touches, especially in terms of plays strickly ran for him, than he did in Oralndo
@  RollingWave : (03 December 2013 - 06:10 AM) FWIW, it is very unlikely for Dwight to really put up 20 per game points wise with our offensive system
@  RollingWave : (03 December 2013 - 06:09 AM) Meh, there's a good deal of things that points in the right direction for Dwight and some that aren't, let's see how it evens out towards later in the season
@  HazeWinkle : (03 December 2013 - 05:02 AM) espically if this team has a chance at being a top 4 team and make at least 60% from the free throw line.
@  HazeWinkle : (03 December 2013 - 05:01 AM) when you get paid what dwight gets paid Dwight needs to get 20-10 every game.
@  2016Champions : (03 December 2013 - 04:54 AM) I'm perfectly happy with a 90% Dwight, we just need to run the PnR more
@  2016Champions : (03 December 2013 - 04:52 AM) How far is Dwight from his old self? Because some of those alley oops he caught were pretty impressive
@  HazeWinkle : (03 December 2013 - 04:17 AM) Dwight Howard where is your old self because lately you have shown the city of houston why alot of people think you are overrated and overpayed
@  jorgeaam : (03 December 2013 - 04:10 AM) Oh God, where's the D?

Photo

Terrence Jones and perception

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

New post: Terrence Jones and perception
    By: rahat huq

Terrence Jones is now averaging 10.1 points and 6.5 rebounds, and 1.3 blocks per game on the young season, shooting 53% from the floor and 48% on 3's.  Per 36 minutes, these numbers come out to 15.8 points, 10.1 rebounds, and 2.1 blocks.  The 21-year-old has thus far posted a PER of 19.1 (15 can be understood as the 'average' NBA player) while his team has posted a whopping 119 points per 100 possessions with him on the floor.  As a starter, Jones has averaged 13.6 points and 8.6 rebounds and his team has gone 8-2.  By the testimony of most interested observers, Jones' insertion into the starting lineup (in place of center Omer Asik) has been the catalyst for Houston's sudden turnaround after a disappointing early start.

As we know, Jones fell to the Rockets at #18 in the 2012 NBA Draft.  I decided to take a trip through the archives to cobble together the story on a guy who most felt would go much higher had he come out a season before.

Jones was rated the 10th ranked prospect coming out of high school in 2010.  (Interesting to note Harrison Barnes ahead of Kyrie Irving.)

This December 2010 DraftExpress profile writes of Jones: "With his physical tools, NBA-ready body, and strong and growing skill set, Jones has a high ceiling and should stay put firmly in the early-to-mid lottery if he can continue this play all season."

This December 2010 piece from Washington Wizards TrueHoop Network affiliate Bullets Forever writes: "Most mock drafts have Terrence Jones listed anywhere from pick 3 to 8 in the first round. I have him as #1."  The author goes on to make his case for why Jones will be the best player in the upcoming draft.

Jones then decides to return to Kentucky for his sophomore year, and that's when the wheels fall off.

From an April 2011 DraftExpress profile on Jones: "early season success surpassed the expectations of most. The lefty looked dominant at times playing as a face-up power forward, displaying a lethal combination of skill creating his own shot and making shots from the perimeter, along with aggressiveness and intensity attacking inside the paint and crashing the boards."..."His early season success drew plenty of attention from NBA decision-makers, with his name often being mentioned with some of the top prospects in the NCAA. As the season went on, however, Jones lost some momentum, as his shot wasn't falling, his role in Kentucky's offense decreasing, and his confidence appearing to take a hit."..."Some early evidence of this was seen in Calipari's profanity-laced tirade during the Alabama game on January 18th, where he called Jones, amongst other things, selfish. Calipari later explained that Jones sometimes has a tendency to play soft and bail out his defender by settling for 3-pointers as opposed to putting pressure on his man and attacking the basket."..."The more likely role for him at the NBA level, at least at this stage in his career with his current body and skill set, would be to play as more of a face-up four man, similar to his role at Kentucky. This would suit teams looking to get out and run a bit more, and would help with spacing in the half-court. Jones could continue to exploit his quickness advantage on the offensive end and utilize his ability to make plays of the dribble, attacking the basket, or using a dribble or two and pulling up for jumpers."

(Lo and behold, that last bit is dead-on foreshadowing of Jones' fit in the Rockets offense.)

April 2012: "An incredibly versatile and talented player with clear-cut NBA tools, Jones was an elite player in the college game when he was zoned in, but the difficulties he has had making his presence felt on a consistent basis, staying focused for entire games, and not pouting when things don't go his way remain disconcerting."..."Kept on an incredibly short leash and challenged publicly on a few occasions by John Calipari, who had no qualms pulling Jones early and often for a defensive lapse or not boxing out, Jones struggled with his body language at times early in the season, and seemed entirely content to simply blend in for long stretches as the season went on."..."Measured at 6'9 with a 7'2 wingspan and powerful 245-pound frame that he worked hard to add additional muscle to last summer, Jones has everything you look for in a NBA forward physically, even if he could be considered a tad undersized for the power forward position. He runs the floor like a small forward, plays above the rim in traffic, makes fluid moves off the dribble, and has the package of tools to defend multiple positions at the NBA level."..."A likely lottery pick, Jones's stock could rise if he can convince NBA scouts he's moved past the issues that have plagued him in the past."

From viewing this timeline, one can understand not only why Jones has flourished thus far with the Rockets, but also why he languished on the bench for so much of his rookie season despite showing early signs of physical readiness.  His is the story of an uber-talented prospect with skillset and prototypical size and athleticism but severe issues with effort and concentration.

One of my pet topics is perception and the role of pedigree in polluting future forecasts.  Take Jeremy Lin for instance.  A guy with his size and quickness who has produced at the rate in which he has would be considered much more valuable than he is under normal circumstances.  But because he was undrafted, most people view him as a fluke.  It's interesting to apply this same thought exercise to Terrence Jones.  Let's imagine he had come out in 2011, gone to the Rockets at #5, and was putting up the numbers right now that he is.  We'd almost surely be extrapolating that production out via age and maturation and projecting him to become a 20-10 All-Star type player by his mid 20's.  Since we got him at 18, we're still not really sure if he's the longterm answer at the '4.'

Is he the answer?  We'll need more than ten games to determine that, especially as teams continue to adjust their game plans towards his tendencies.  You can rest assured, however, that if Jones keeps up his current rate of production, the Rockets won't be targeting a power forward in an Omer Asik trade.

What's the future for Jones?  He's done his damage exactly how the scouting report predicted.  He's spread the floor, facing up off the dribble, but also makes quick cuts to the hoop for easy baskets which he's converted.  (I actually think this latter ability has gone unappreciated, especially when realizing that those same passes Jones is converting upon were being dropped by Omer Asik.)  Can he stay focused and committed?  Those were the issues that ruined his draft stock.

That 48% 3-point shooting will regress to the mean in due time.  But simply the threat of 3-point ability is what makes the Rockets' offense work and gives Dwight Howard and James Harden room to operate.  Jones' main task this season will be to just continue bringing the effort and focus.  It is far too often that Dwight Howard goes for a block and his man scores the offensive putback.  (This happens atleast once every game.)  As the next biggest Rocket, Jones has to do a better job boxing out in these situations.  He also must do a better job on defensive rotations where, at some points, he's been horrendous.  I could say that this will be rectified with age but I've seen far too many talented big men flame out after failing to ever mature in this facet of the game.

Over the summer, I'd like to see Jones continue refining his face-up game, working on ways to beat his man off the dribble.  His quickness and ability to handle the ball will always put him at an advantage and as he gains confidence in himself, he'll become more decisive with his moves.  Right now, Jones far too often looks unsure of what he wants to do when receiving the catch.

Still, the biggest area which will determine Jones' future is his help defense and concentration.  Fans look at rebound numbers and blocks and think a big man is producing defensively.  In actuality, help defense is the most critical barometer.  Teams with title aspirations simply cannot overcome shoddy interior defense.  That's one of the biggest reasons why so many young teams flame out.

#2 faridyuharden

faridyuharden

• Members
    • Pip
    • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Very interesting. I think Motiejunas was projected to go top 3 as well at one point. Both of them have shown why they were so highly touted. Great picks, hope we can keep both and develop them.

#3 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,135 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

good stuff Rahat. I totally agree perception can be everything. I remember when the Rockets actually tried to trade this guy last year to clear cap room. if I recall correctly we were asking a first round draft pick. I bet if we put him on the block right now the phone would explode :lol: considering this guy is still very young and is still at least a couple of years from reaching his prime it's exciting to watch him grow. another point I would like to make is places like San Antonio, OKC, Indiana and Chicago have long been known as good teams at developing players. I thought we were behind those teams in that department for a long time. with the added availability of the D-League and the way the Rockets use it we now rival any player development system available. we have much better young players than teams who draft in front of us every year. some of that is Morey's eye for talent, but some of it is also better development. playing in the D-League really helped-Jones last year. also give the kid credit. rather than viewing it as a demotion he worked his tail off addressing some of the weaknesses in his game. players get better from playing and the D-League offers that chance when the attitude is in the proper place

Edited by rockets best fan, 02 December 2013 - 06:06 PM.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#4 thenit

thenit

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 327 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

I think the biggest thing is that the rockets would sign players that others given up on and one of them would turn up being an asset. I give credit to les who are willing to shell out millions on players who others has given up on.

#5 Steven

Steven

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,191 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:50 AM

TJones = HoF

The best non-Howard move Morey made in the offseason was filling the 4 spot in house. Jones has looked good, and in the one game D-Mo had playing in the rotation, he was putting the ball in the basket. When Asik is traded for picks, a big man rotation of Howard/Jones/ and D-Mo will be formidable, and that's without going small.

#6 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 148 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:39 AM

An insightful post.  Here are a few things that came to mind:

1. Potential Kentucky recruits, beware!  A big-time program has its advantages, but when you are  compared to the likes of John Wall and Demarcus Cousins on a daily basis and become an after-thought on offense, your draft stock will suffer.

2. A lot of what Rahat says goes to the "basketball IQ" question raised in another thread.  It is a fascinating issue--Jones has no problem with making the right cuts to the basket, but for some reason defensive rotations give him real problems.  I suspect that he'll have to work long and hard to master this part of the game, but I predict he'll eventually get it right. 

3  Drafting is so uncertain because you don't how a player is going to develop in terms of maturity, intellect, and work ethic.  Jones is headed in the right direction on all those accounts.

4.  McHale took some heat from this site last year for not developing "the rookies" via more playing time.  Insisting that they earn a spot via mastery of detail, though, has paid off this year.  As John Wooden said, the bench is a coach's most valuable assistant.  I suspect D-Mo will be much improved (but not nearly as good as Jones) when he gets the chance at extended playing time.

#7 HazeWinkle

HazeWinkle

• Members
            • Pip
            • 17 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:44 AM

okay now dont get yalls panties in a bunch this guy has a had a couple good games but so has a lot of players that have turned out to be garbage

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 2,173 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:10 AM

pib.jpg

#9 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,135 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:36 AM

okay now dont get yalls panties in a bunch this guy has a had a couple good games but so has a lot of players that have turned out to be garbage

you know I thought Buckko was joking in the other thread where he said you might be an undercover Laker fan.........now I'm starting to wonder :lol: as for T-Jones.......none of us on this forum have forecasted him to be a Rocket savior. there is nothing wrong with being pleased with the progress of our young player. we don't know what he will be yet, but the early returns are very promising. sure there will be bumps in the road like the game in Utah tonight, but it's part of not only the learning curve for him, but this team as well

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users