Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (09 December 2013 - 12:45 AM) Lol Dolan is so bad that it's plausible
@  2016Champions : (08 December 2013 - 10:11 PM) What if the Knicks are secretly tanking not realizing they don't have a 1st, that's plausible, right?
@  2016Champions : (08 December 2013 - 06:22 PM) I'm reading some hilarious tweets ridiculing the Knicks. Poor Knicks fans lol
@  Dayak : (05 December 2013 - 06:04 AM) J.R. Harden, lol.
@  HazeWinkle : (05 December 2013 - 05:09 AM) @feeling super he had only 15 pts 4-11 shooting which could be put on jh or km he had 5 to and he got blocked about 5 times by guys not known for their defense
@  thenit : (05 December 2013 - 04:35 AM) linsanity, hard yo get that label off, anyone with that king of usage rate has high turnovers including harden, Kobe etc
@  thenit : (05 December 2013 - 04:34 AM) Jeremy got that label in
@  thenit : (05 December 2013 - 04:33 AM) FSS agree to some extent but when hardens shot aren't falling, he has no Impact on the defensive floor and becomes a huge liability, doesn't happen every day when he has a goose egg
@  thenit : (05 December 2013 - 04:32 AM) Fuss
@  RollingWave : (05 December 2013 - 04:32 AM) Remember when folks said our turnover thing was all on Jeremy? yeah I don't either
@  feelingsuper... : (05 December 2013 - 04:24 AM) Dwight did not get stopped, are you joking? They should have ran through him more but hindsight is 20/20. How many more games wil Harden go 0% from three point land?
@  CanSayNOTC : (05 December 2013 - 03:27 AM) when 3 of your best 5.....:D
@  HazeWinkle : (05 December 2013 - 03:20 AM) excuse,excuses 22 to it dont matter who was playing and dwight howard got stopped by pumlee
@  pharmag : (05 December 2013 - 03:16 AM) When 3 of your best 7 players are out its not entirely surprising that the team is struggling....
@  HazeWinkle : (05 December 2013 - 03:13 AM) i see a five game losing streak in store for them rockets.
@  Adi1008 : (05 December 2013 - 03:12 AM) The Rockets could potentially be on an eight game winning streak if they could win the easy games.
@  HazeWinkle : (05 December 2013 - 03:03 AM) omg isthis team great at turning the ball over
@  pharmag : (05 December 2013 - 03:00 AM) He is out with bruised thigh i thinki saw
@  HazeWinkle : (05 December 2013 - 02:59 AM) who knows maybe trade coming
@  CanSayNOTC : (05 December 2013 - 02:58 AM) Why Asik no minutes?

Photo

Boston Celtics @ Houston Rockets on 11/19/13

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 714 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

New post: Boston Celtics @ Houston Rockets on 11/19/13
    By: Eric Nielsen

The Rockets are coming off one of their most balanced and well played games of the season.  They will have had a few days off at home to practice, rest and get everyone healthy.  Now it’s time to build momentum off of their victory.

With seven Rockets in double digits against the Nuggets, it becomes more clear what it will take for this team to be successful.  The second team needs to be firing on all cylinders, and with Lin Captaining, they are solid.  Playing like the sixth man of the year, Jeremy looks like a young Steve Nash.  He’s relentlessly attacking the rim, hitting jumpers and dribbling into the paint at will. Terrence Jones and D-Mo both had their best games of the season and have earned their way into the rotation.

Parsons has also improved.  His time with the USA team mini-camp this summer helped him realize he can ball with anyone in the league. Even though he’s only shooting .256 from behind the arc, he’s getting 17 a game, and driving the ball to the rack at will.

The injury bug has been steady for the Rockets this year.  The most significant injury has been Harden and his feet.  He still played the most minutes of any Rocket (36) on Saturday and his presence is vital to the Rockets success.  He is definitely the Alpha Dog with his health and chutzpah (I love those dagger three’s from four feet behind the arc), and he is going to drive this team to playoff wins.  Parsons has a bad back, Greg Smith is out for at least another week, Beverley is just coming back to form from his abdominal muscle strain, Garcia has been sick, and now Asik is “sick” or getting paid to pout.

I’ve been one of the biggest supporters of Asik this year, but his behavior is clearly unprofessional and is probably detracting from his trade value.  It’s nice to get strong wins without him playing to see what kind of bench we have and what we need in trade.  It sounds like he will play against the Celtics, after a couple of days “conferring with his agent.”

There is a definite lack of defensive presence when Howard exits the game.  As much as everyone is calling for a stretch four in return for Asik, I’m not sure if that’s in the Rockets best interest.  Both D-Mo and Jones can hit the three ball, and the best option for the Rockets is Kenneth Faried.  His name was being mentioned in a possible trade for Shumpert, and his inside presence, defense, youth, strength and rebounding would fit better than Ryan Anderson.  Morey will wait until it’s closer to the trade deadline, February 20th, to get the best possible action for Asik.  He’s worth more than a first rounder and we should get an impact player in return.

Hack-a-Howard backfired for the Nuggets.  They started the hacking early, with about 5 minutes left in the game, and Howard got into a good rhythm on the line and looked as comfortable as he has all season. But, the Rockets were up by 10 for most of that time and the pressure was lower.  As McHale says, the more other teams try it, the more comfortable Howard will become.  We're bound to see it in almost every close game of the season.

The Celtics are in complete rebuilding mode. Rondo is still out, the superstars are gone and Doc Rivers is in LA. At four and seven, it’s not entirely impossible to find them sneaking into the bottom seeds in the East, but it’s unlikely. Currently, four and seven is only a half game out of the playoffs in the East!  Jeff Green leads the Celtics in scoring and Courtney Lee gets significant minutes as the backup SG.  The Celtics have started Kelly Olynyk at center four times this year.  The Gonzaga rookie, and 13th pick, is averaging 8 points and 5 rebounds in 22 minutes a game.

After his major success at Butler, rookie coach Brad Stevens development is as crucial to the Celtics future as their player development. He’s adapting to the NBA and how to work with the complex personalities of the pro game.  He’s apt to sit a player for long stretches for mental errors.  It will be interesting to see how he handles himself with a sub .500 team after years at Butler where he averaged a winning percentage of .772

The Rockets should get a win and start their climb up the standings in the West.

#2 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 894 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:06 AM

I disagree about faried, we need floor spacing.

#3 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,741 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:48 AM

I like Faried but he would be a much better fit with Lopez/Gasol/Bosh than with Howard.

Why so Serious? :D

#4 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 117 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:04 AM

i really don't think faried's defense is all that good.

#5 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
        • Pip
        • 12 posts
        • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:38 AM

We already have "poor man" Faried in Terence Jones.

#6 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,160 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:38 AM

i really don't think faried's defense is all that good.

I agree. Faried was flat outplayed by T-Jones in the Denver game. I consider that a downgrade. I like Faried's energy, but he is simply to short to guard the big PF's we will see in the playoffs. I'd rather take my chances with T-Jones and the great thing is we don't have to pay anything to get him. it is common knowledge Asik will be moved at some point, but the Rockets are not in a position of desperation. no need for a fire sale. I am more concerned with backup center minutes. when we do move Asik, that is a area that must be addressed. while D-Mo had a good game last game. I'm not ready to say he can handle the job. while the return of G-Smith will offer some stability to the position it still needs upgrading 

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#7 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
        • 1,414 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:52 AM

The Rockets haven't even played well, are still learning schemes and dealing with chemistry/ personal problems and they are 7 and 4. Pretty soon it's all going to start coming together and this team is going to go on a tear.

#8 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 117 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

The Rockets haven't even played well, are still learning schemes and dealing with chemistry/ personal problems and they are 7 and 4. Pretty soon it's all going to start coming together and this team is going to go on a tear.

*tare :P

but ur absolutely correct, though i think it'll be more like pre-allstar break post-xmas time. But I fully expect us to finish the 2nd half of the season as a 70% win team, the question is what will our record be at the all-star break so what seed we get.

#9 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 3,160 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

I agree provided this guy can figure it out

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#10 marbony81110

marbony81110

• Members
          • Pip
          • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

I don't think the Rockets really need a stretch 4. Terrence Jones has been doing well and will only get better. Their best option is to somehow get Asik to buy into the system of having the chance to be an important part of a championship team. With Howard and Asik protecting the rim for 48 minutes the Rockets defense will be much better.

The only options that I believe will be better than convincing Asik to play within the system is for the Rockets to somehow trade him for Bosh or Aldridge (which will probably never happen -_- ).

#11 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 334 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

I like the Lin/Young Nash comparison, in fact, I just mentioned that to my friend the other day watching the NYK game. He definitely reminds me of the Dallas version of Steve Nash, still just a little rough around the edges but with enormous potential.

I like our status at the PF with Jones and D-mo and think Faried would weigh our post too defensively heavy paired with Howard, and not enough offensive creativity, which you get from Jones and Donuts. 

If indeed Asik is too emotionally distraught to be effective, I think we should do something sooner than later, getting a 1st rounder, top 5 or 10 protected, and maybe a 3rd tier center. The pick could be traded closer to the trade deadline (?) and it won't have Asik's cap hit along with it. A Morey-scouted top 10 pick absolutely has the potential value of Asik's current contract. Sign Henriquez to a 10-day until Smith gets back too.

Edited by Alituro, 19 November 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#12 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,967 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:48 AM

I love how we're just casually dominating this first half.

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#13 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,967 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:11 AM

I don't think the Rockets really need a stretch 4. Terrence Jones has been doing well and will only get better. Their best option is to somehow get Asik to buy into the system of having the chance to be an important part of a championship team. With Howard and Asik protecting the rim for 48 minutes the Rockets defense will be much better.

The only options that I believe will be better than convincing Asik to play within the system is for the Rockets to somehow trade him for Bosh or Aldridge (which will probably never happen -_- ).

Terrance Jones really impressed me this game, he has a very calm aggression in the way he plays, you can see his confidence growing and it is definitely starting to look like our question mark at the 4 has been answered.

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#14 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 781 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:13 AM

It is just the celtics but they are playing very well, Especially jones.

#15 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 62 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:28 AM

Jones makes such a big difference just with his ability to catch and finish.  Nice to not see interior passes being juggled or fumbled like they were with Dwight and Asik.  

#16 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,967 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:56 AM

Our rotation defense has been so much better than usual this game.

#17 DrewinAbilene

DrewinAbilene

• Moderators
                  • 156 posts
                  • LocationAbilene

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:45 AM

I only caught the end of the third and fourth quarters, but I agree that Jones looked mighty good. His play relieves lots of pressure for the front office. Not that Morey would panic and lose Asik for pennies on the dollar, but any trade is better when made from a position of strength. The first few games made Houston look like a team in a weaker position when it came to the trading block. Jones is asserting that even if Morey chose not to trade Asik, Houston will still be in a good position. Upgrading the four is a luxury right now, not a necessity, which returns a little bit of leverage into the capable hands of the Houston front office.

#18 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
                  • 714 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:20 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 109, Boston Celtics 85: Bad team, good win
                    By: Forrest Walker

The Boston Celtics aren't a good NBA team this season. They aren't supposed to be competitive, given the prizes that await the top teams in the NBA lottery next summer and the long-term benefits of landing a potential phenom player. The Houston Rockets are hoping to occupy the lofty ranks of championship contenders, a caliber of play which requires comfortable wins over lottery-bound teams like Boston. It would be easy to discount this win if it weren't for the fact that for the first time this season, the Rockets looked in sync.

Given, the Celtics have a team that can be charitably described at inexperienced. Given, the Celtics missed open shots repeatedly and had inexplicable turnovers. All caveats and asterisks aside, however, the Rockets gave not only their best effort of the season but experienced their best results. The game ended with a twenty-four point victory for the Rockets, and it wasn't as close as that makes it seem. Elite teams have to be able to blow out the lottery dwellers of the league, and that's exactly what happened. Terrence Jones detonated, the rest of the team picked and rolled the Celtics to death, and the starters got to rest up for a division rival game the following evening.

The bad news is that Ömer Aşık didn't play until the game was well into garbage time, implying that he's still residing in head coach Kevin McHale's doghouse. The noises from his camp lately have been conciliatory, but there's still clearly a rift between Aşık and the Rockets organization. As long as he plays out the weeks until a trade in good faith, both sides will be on track to an amicable resolution. If he continues to sulk, things will get worse for everyone involved. The fact that he took the court at all implies movement in the correct direction, and this will continue to be a storyline that's impossible to ignore.

The good news? There's a lot of good news. Terrence Jones was the star of the show, going off for 24 points to lead all scorers. He sank his first 8 shots and ended up an incredible 10-12 from the field, including 3-4 from three point land. He grabbed 9 boards and picked up a pair of blocks to go with only 1 turnover in the performance of his young career. His defense is improving, his decision making is progressing, and his shot is getting better. The Rockets had a major hole at the power forward slot, and Jones is doing everything in his power to justify himself as the solution. He's averaged a double-double since he entered the starting lineup, and by giving Houston a workable solution at the four, he's probably doing more to increase Ömer Aşık's trade value than Ömer Aşık himself.

Several other Rockets played basketball tonight, too. Donatas Motiejunas had the best block of the game, chasing down Kelly Olynyk to erase his fastbreak and give the Rockets their tenth block on the night. Aside from that, he looked serviceable if not exactly good, missing all 4 three point attempts but grabbing five boards and playing acceptable defense. Patrick Beverley seemed to find his three point stroke again, something he's badly needed in the first then games of the season.

The whole starting unit, in fact, was lethal from deep, shooting 7-10 in total. Harden looked to pass more than shoot, despite his perfect 3-3 from three, and ended up with 5 assists and 15 points on 8 shots. Howard was good, scoring in the paint on his way to another double double: 11 rebounds and an impressive 10 points on 4 shots. In fact, the whole team was good. Howard, Jones, Parsons, Lin Beverley and Harden all scored in the double digits, leading the Rockets to the most even-handed scoring effort of the year.

The Rockets got off to a terrifying 18-1 start and never looked back. There were no brief comebacks, no scoring droughts, no extended periods of defensive collapse. The Houston Rockets ran the pick and roll, high-speed, transition heavy offense they excelled at last season and in the preseason, and it worked just as well as could be hoped. A win against a struggling team isn't as impressive as a win against a contender, but any win this clean and well-run can only be a good sign for the Rockets.

#19 RollingWave

RollingWave

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 456 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:29 AM

we're still giving up way too many offensive rebounds, but obviously a much needed crushing.

#20 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPip
                      • 556 posts
                      • LocationHouston

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:45 AM

I mentioned it in the Asik thread - and totally agree with Drew about T Jones.  his continued growth opens up things for Morey A TON

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users