Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (27 April 2016 - 01:34 PM) If you mean JVG--no, I'm not worried. :)
@  slick shoes : (27 April 2016 - 12:32 PM) Is it just me or is the Lakers firing Scott a bit worrisome for our coaching search?
@  DenverRocket : (27 April 2016 - 12:02 AM) Seems like Parsons is already trying to recruit Dwight to the Mavs ;-)
@  DenverRocket : (26 April 2016 - 05:51 AM) I love KD even more after his post-match response to that Cuban comment: "He's a idiot!" :)
@  slick shoes : (26 April 2016 - 03:01 AM) Why give Westbrook bulletin board material in a closeout game?
@  Mario Peña : (26 April 2016 - 02:28 AM) That insult Cuban hurled at Westbrook was classic big mouth Cuban. It gave Wedtbrook some fuel no doubt.
@  Mario Peña : (25 April 2016 - 02:40 AM) I can't stand the Warriors but I hate to see great players fall prey to injuries. Seems like Steph could be done till next season which is unfortunate since he does play on one team I root for, Team USA.
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 10:02 PM) down by 23 points and we have McDaniels AND Brewer in. WTF?
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 09:48 PM) the difference in this gme has been Brewer is in and Beverley is out
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 09:46 PM) Team gave up. I know it's hard when the Warriors won't miss and we can't hit anything, but man.
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 09:34 PM) can't believe they called a T on Howard there. Rockets need to hit some 3s. Why aren't they fouling Ezeli? They're clearly on a run.
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 09:30 PM) Rockets just not playing smart right now. Livingston has to get at least a T for that. Should be nothing on Howard.
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 08:27 PM) spoke too soon about Brewer - misses a wide open reverse layup (and why was it a reverse?)
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 08:22 PM) i am loving this Beasley-Harden offense. Simple but effective. Brewer actually being effective right now too!
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 08:14 PM) Warriors just got "Curry'd" by Harden
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 08:03 PM) Bogut is pretty thoroughly outplaying Howard early.
@  ale11 : (22 April 2016 - 08:36 PM) I know everyone is already asking for KJ....but I have to say: I wish JBB tried putting KJ on Livingston, I'm sure he wouldn't get bullied in the post like Pat is. Depending on matchups, I'd like Harden to guard him as well. There would be no risks of gifting any 3's
@  txtdo1411 : (22 April 2016 - 07:09 PM) Finally JB sat Brewer. I wish we would stop playing Terry as well. Missed multiple wide open 3s, and was getting abused defensively. I'd much rather see KJ come in as a back up guard than Terry.
@  DenverRocket : (22 April 2016 - 04:35 AM) Ariza is having a tough time, but I reckon he will come back big in the next game - he just can't keep missing open threes.
@  Mario Peña : (22 April 2016 - 04:31 AM) Yes...

Photo

Dallas Mavericks @ Houston Rockets on 10/21/13

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

New post: Dallas Mavericks @ Houston Rockets on 10/21/13
    By: Forrest Walker

It may just be the preseason, but the Houston Rockets have a pair of milestones in their Monday game against the Dallas Mavericks. Not only is this the first game against a division rival, but the first opportunity to see Dwight Howard and Ömer Aşık attempt to co-exist. Both players will start the game for Houston, and we may just get one step closer to answering Houston’s most pressing question. Can Ömer Aşık and Dwight Howard share the court?

The Rockets also want to know what happens when both players stagger minutes to protect the rim at all times. As the game settles into the second half, a move to the bench seems likely once some questions have been addressed, but the first half in particular should be intriguing to watch. The Rockets will also likely continue to play with the minutes at the point guard and power forward positions, two positions with multiple likely candidates to start.

The Mavericks, on the other hand, are bringing something else to the table. In something of a holding pattern year once again, the Mavs have yet another new look, this time helmed by Monta Ellis. Dirk Nowitzki continues to headline the show, and between him, Ellis and new point guard Jose Calderon, the Mavs should be an avid three point shooting team. Nowitzki and Calderon are deadly accurate, while Ellis is known for his shooting volume more than shooting accuracy.

The Mavericks won’t get much shooting from the rest of their frontcourt, though, with Brandan Wright, DeJuan Blair, and starting center Samuel Dalembert providing little spacing or range. Dalembert is a mere season removed from his year with the 2011-2012 Rockets, though no faces except Chandler Parsons remain on this current team.

Shawn Marion and Vince Carter remain in Dallas. Both play the wing and both should log few minutes in a preseason game. The two wily vets have burned Houston in games past, but with their role and abilities long since known to Dallas, their compatibility is one of the few issues that might lead to minutes for the veterans. Marion in particular is a key element of their defense, which has been excellent in years past but seems increasingly questionable.

Houston may have some unknowns on defense, but the Mavs now feature Ellis, Calderon and Nowitzki in the same lineup. Finding and exploiting their defensive weaknesses on the perimeter should be high priority for a team looking to take four wins from a division rival this season. Dalembert is known for his defense, but his blocks and rim protection have begun to decline. Even in his prime, serving as the last line of defense behind a porous backline would have been a tough demand.

A couple years previous, this matchup would have been a cakewalk for a powerful Dallas team over a foundering Houston. In a mere two seasons, the Rockets have become contenders in the west, while the Mavs limp out of the gate after missing the playoffs for the first time in over a decade. Instead of a chance to prove their mettle against an elite team, the Mavs come to Houston with as many questions as answers themselves, while the Rockets seek to trot out Ömer Aşık to answer a few questions of their own.

#2 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 747 posts
    • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

We played the Pellies in the preseason opener....today's a must see! Let's cross our fingers and hope for Asik-Howard to work out well.

#3 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,270 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

One of the upshots of the Howard/Asik tandem is that it requires one of them to guard Nowitzki. I'll be interested to see how they handle him - the job is usually given to more mobile players than these two and I suspect Dirk may be able to get to the rim more often than you would like.

Really looking forward to seeing how this plays out :).

ST

#4 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Dirk will most likely guard Asik, and I don't see Asik scoring a lot of points but I see the Rockets as a whole getting a ton of offensive rebounds thanks to all the boxing out attention Dwight and Asik will get--Beverley would probably grab 10 boards in 20 minutes lol. And if Dalembert fouls out early the Mavs might as well throw in the towel because Brandan Wright is like a twig compared to Dwight.

Defensively and rebounding wise we should be great, but I see the paint being too crowded for our guards to attack the basket. If we score more than 100 it will be because of our transition offense and shot making ability. I bet our offense looks so much better when Casspi is at the 4.

Edited by 2016Champions, 21 October 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#5 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,561 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

This is a must-watch game.  Basically what we've been waiting for since the Dwight signing.  I think it's going to work out defensively, but I see problems on the other end.

#6 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,212 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

This is a must-watch game.  Basically what we've been waiting for since the Dwight signing.  I think it's going to work out defensively, but I see problems on the other end.

totally agree. defense should be no problem..........I think Asik is mobile enough to stay with Dirk. I'm more interested to see what having Asik on the floor means offensively. whether it's a hinderence or help. that fact will speak volumes about what our next moves should be

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#7 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,270 posts
      • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

A word of caution though - we shouldn't be arriving at the conclusion that this can or can't work after only one game. First of all you have to remember that Asik is only just back from an injury and may not necessarily be back to full fitness. Then you have to remember that they've barely played together, so it will be understandable if there are a few teething problems.

ST

#8 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,212 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

A word of caution though - we shouldn't be arriving at the conclusion that this can or can't work after only one game. First of all you have to remember that Asik is only just back from an injury and may not necessarily be back to full fitness. Then you have to remember that they've barely played together, so it will be understandable if there are a few teething problems.

ST

I don't think anybody is looking for this to be a well oiled machine first time out. what we are looking for is much like we look for in rookies. We don't expect the world on a platter, but do expect some flashes of what can be

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#9 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,270 posts
      • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

I don't think anybody is looking for this to be a well oiled machine first time out. what we are looking for is much like we look for in rookies. We don't expect the world on a platter, but do expect some flashes of what can be

I think it could very well be one of those things that looks awful first time out but comes together after a couple of weeks though. It could have no redeeming features tonight, but I'd still want the coaching staff to keep at it for a while longer.

ST

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,212 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

I think it could very well be one of those things that looks awful first time out but comes together after a couple of weeks though. It could have no redeeming features tonight, but I'd still want the coaching staff to keep at it for a while longer.

ST

I agree they should stay at it for awhile even if it looks pitiful the first time out, but that doesn't mean I don't expect some promising flashes. I understand it's an adjustment period for both players. this lineup only needs to be on the floor for about 15 minutes a game and should be judge in the context.

#11 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,561 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:54 PM

Sir Thursday: I agree.  This definitely won't give us anything conclusive.  Will take atleast a few games to see if this even has a chance at working.

Going through some interviews just now, it seems like the Mavs plan on running (no surprise) and putting the Houston big men through the gamut of pick and rolls. 

#12 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
        • 301 posts
        • LocationAbilene

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:40 AM

Looking sloppy as the 1st quarter winds down, and the spacing issues on offense are legit. That said, Houston has gotten some great open dunks from dribble drives that pull bigs off Howard. The defense is sketchy at best so far. There have been moments where the defense looks stifling, but mostly they have looked out of sync, And that's whether Howard, Asik, or both are on the floor.

#13 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,561 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:22 AM

First half in the books - they looked awful out there together.  It will take atleast a handful of games to see if this can work though.  

Surprisingly, I thought dwight did well enough guarding Dirk.  It was the team defense that was out of it.  Dallas was able to draw both bigs out of the paint - Rockets will need to counter.  On offense, things looked very congested. 

This was to be expected.  Will need a lot bigger sample size before making any determinations.

#14 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,308 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:24 AM

I think there's too much value lost in having Dwight drawn away from the rim, but then again he won't always be guarding a guy as versatile as dirk.

#15 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 594 posts
            • LocationHouston

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:15 AM

game sure picked up once they went to dwight and four guys spacing the floor.  im a big asik fan, but ill remain on the trade him side of the whole argument.  yes its a luxury to have both of those goes.  and yes if we can go sort of small with casspi or chandler at the 4 and excel, then thats great as in we dont need to trade for a 4, but then that sounds like an unhappy and expensive asik.

Edited by tombrokeoff, 22 October 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#16 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
            • 2,356 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:17 AM

This is a line up that will yield mixed results in the regular season but it still needs to be implemented. Once the post season arrives if the proper matchup presents itself this big lineup will be something the team will be able to execute.
            I can't stand the Warriors!

#17 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 594 posts
            • LocationHouston

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

true.  cant pass up the right trade though if it comes along.  agreed?  must say, 54 rebounds is nice though!

#18 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,636 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:27 AM

Casspi is more of a shooter off the bench than a full blown starter. He does his thing and he does it well, shoot and a little rebound.

#19 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

Being at the game tonight, the biggest disappointment to me was all the easy shots in the paint the hated Mavericks made with both D12 and Asik on the floor. Several rebounds in the paint, too. Seems to me, that corrected itself as the game went on, particularly when only one of D12 and Asik remained on the floor.

Casspi is going to get a lot of playing time this season. Garcia looked good tonight, too.

#20 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
                • 1,515 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

New post: [video] Omer Asik and Dwight Howard postgame on "The Experiment"
                  By: rahat huq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users