Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  CC. : (29 August 2013 - 05:20 AM) I agree Morey is referring to D12 and the new bench cast. But still, I can't picture teammates as a birthday 'gift'. Sounds a little inhuman too. It's like Morey said 'here I got you new friends for your birthday because you weren't satisfied with buddy Delfino'. Teammates are people not material gifts aren't they? Haahaha. It just sounds off to me
@  ale11 : (28 August 2013 - 06:35 PM) It would be pretty morbid to tell Lin via twitter that he is gonna get traded that way...looking at it positively, it meant "I got you DH12 and a bunch of shooters, go nuts with the PnR and show your worth".
@  Rahat Huq : (28 August 2013 - 11:20 AM) pretty sure he meant the new guys we've already acquired
@  CC. : (28 August 2013 - 03:00 AM) In Morey's birthday tweet to J.Lin...he mentioned Lin getting 'new teammates'...are these teammates in a Rocket uniform? Or are they new 'new' teammates? This might get some hopes up for the guys wanting Lin out
@  timetodienow... : (20 August 2013 - 01:15 AM) Good insight, ST.
@  Sir Thursday : (19 August 2013 - 10:12 PM) On a radio show or TV interview you have a lot less time to police yourself. In a forum like an AMA, Morey has much more time to decide what responses are OK and doesn't have to be so guarded. That's my hypothesis, anyway.
@  timetodienow... : (18 August 2013 - 09:42 PM) I can see that. He's always very circumspect when he's talking on camera compared to doing these AMAs. I don't think he's uncomfortable speaking but he's more in his element chatting online.
@  feelingsuper... : (18 August 2013 - 04:23 PM) I think you're on to something timetodie but I wouldn't say he is uncomfortable speaking, we just gleam more insight from what he writes.
@  timetodienow... : (16 August 2013 - 10:35 PM) Has anyone noticed that Morey is more comfortable typing than speaking?
@  2016Champions : (16 August 2013 - 08:53 PM) Daryl Morey's reddit AMA today: http://www.reddit.co...eason_addition/
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:54 PM) (Although having said that, Cleveland and Washington being improved mean that there might actually be some competition towards the bottom of the Eastern Conference playoff bracket for once).
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:53 PM) They may end up with the 8th seed again this year, but they'll be a team on the up rather than a team that's reached its peak.
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:52 PM) That's a lot of shooting, anyhow. And they've filled the bench with serviceable players, too.
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:49 PM) (or maybe you put Gary Neal in for Delfino)
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:48 PM) It's not a roster completely devoid of talent, anyway. Knight/Mayo/Delfino/Ilyasova/Sanders seems like a reasonable starting lineup.
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:45 PM) A lot depends on if they can develop their young guys. Knight, Henson, Antetokounmpo...
@  timetodienow... : (16 August 2013 - 06:41 PM) Although this signing does make them look better to me.
@  timetodienow... : (16 August 2013 - 06:40 PM) Maybe. I don't really care all that much, but it just seems like he's being underpaid. And why would he want to stay in MIL? Have you seen the moves they've made thus far.
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:36 PM) A player with 7 years' experience qualifies for a bigger max contract, right? Maybe he's angling for that
@  timetodienow... : (16 August 2013 - 06:33 PM) I hope he has an ETO. That would make the deal make sense in my mind. Otherwise why not play next year and get offered the max by a desperate team and have MIL match?

Photo

Will the Rockets Pull Another Last Second Trade?

69 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 524 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

New post: Will the Rockets Pull Another Last Second Trade?
    By: Forrest Walker

The Rockets pulled off something rare last season. Houston traded for a star in James Harden, and they did it as late in the off season as possible. Harden barely had time to step off the plane before his debut game against the Detroit Pistons, having been traded a mere three days prior. With a roster overflowing with serviceable players and a trigger-happy general manager in Daryl Morey, are the Rockets still due for one big move this off-season? Let’s weigh the possibilities.

While nothing is likely to come of it, NBA veteran Royal Ivey is reportedly working out for Houston and San Antonio. He’s bounced around the league for his entire nine years, moving from the Hawks to the Bucks, to the Sixers, to the Thunder. He’s never distinguished himself particularly well, and the Spurs and Rockets are likely just testing the waters. He would, however, be the 19th player under contract for Houston, the 18th being Ronnie Brewer, another journeyman known for his defense.

The most likely scenario involves the Rockets cutting their undrafted rookies, B.J. Young, Robert Covington and Jordan Henriquez. All are on the books for a mere $490,180 and only Covington has any (the first year) guaranteed. Letting them go and tucking them away in the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, Houston’s D-League affiliate, is just the type of more the Rockets prefer. That would allow them to learn Houston’s system, and likely be available in the future, should they show promise or should the Rockets later need players.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t resolve the logjam. With Brewer, Houston would still be one over the roster cap of 15. A potential Ivey signing moves them to 17 players, even after dropping the rooks. With players like Marcus Camby, Francisco Garcia, Omri Casspi, Reggie Williams and Aaron Brooks all collecting minimum salaries, there would be some very hard decisions to be made. Training camp will likely be brutal for both the players and the team. With this degree of competition for the fifteenth spot on the roster, position, long term fit, chemistry, and marginal advantage all must figure into the Rockets’ basketball calculus. Some players (Camby, Garcia, Casspi, and rookie Isaiah Canaan) all have guaranteed salary, while the rest of the new hires do not. Even this may be a major part of Houston’s thinking.

If things become too difficult, there’s always a nuclear option of sorts. If another team could use them, Houston can try to package a few of these players together for some minor reward. Trying to bundle young prospects in exchange for Philadelphia’s Thaddeus Young has got to be on Morey’s radar. The Sixers are attempting to be truly terrible, and Young is one of the two best players on the team. With the promise of young players and perhaps a draft pick, Houston might be able to upgrade the forward position off the bench while helping the Sixers in their quest to grab the top draft pick this coming year.

If a package for a player they actually want is off the table, Houston might simply try to snag a second round draft pick from a team that simply needs vets to fill the bench. Not every team is laden with 19 players, and many of them have thoughts of contention. If Houston must lose four players anyway, they’d prefer to get something back, and not be on the hook for their salaries. Of course, even that may be too high a price, depending on what’s available later this summer. The Rockets may settle for simply moving the contracts in exchange for a lower number of players. In fact, trading them for nothing may be on the table, just to lower the potential cap and luxury tax hit.

The biggest reason to suspect a trade at 11:59 in the off-season is the continuing Ömer Aşık situation. Aşık has been quiet since reportedly demanding a trade immediately following the Dwight Howard signing. This doesn’t necessarily mean he’s accepted his role, however. Howard reportedly wants Ömer on his team, but if Aşık wants out and the right deal materializes, Dwight’s likely to accept another quality starter next to him. Daryl Morey has shown that he’s willing to be patient and wait for the right deal to come along before making any moves, and that’s why last year’s Harden trade is relevant. Both Morey and Thunder GM Sam Presti were willing to wait until the last moment to get a deal done. Don’t be surprised if Morey has been fielding and rejecting calls about Ömer Aşık all summer, only to package him with some players at the bottom of the bench in October.

Solving multiple roster questions in one fell swoop is the kind of grand move we’ve come to expect from Houston. True, another last minutes bolt of lightning this summer would defy all probability. Experience suggests that the summer’s moves are all but done, and that the Rockets will simply cut some players and head to battle in October. But with the history Morey has, and with the unusual situation the Rockets find themselves in, we always have to brace ourselves for lightning to strike again.

#2 BrentYen

BrentYen

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 77 posts
    • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

IMO, I feel the goal is still to ship out Lin and Asik (more one Lin's part).

Now, the extra acquisitions in the off season is trying to make better packages, hence more number of options/possibilities for Morey to operate. 

Edited by BrentYen, 26 August 2013 - 05:44 PM.

LOF here.

#3 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 164 posts
    • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Likewise - I thought the goal was to package Lin and some young'uns for another PG.  However, Lin's recent comments and exposed mindset might have changed that goal.  I really don't see them parting with Asik except for a sweetheart deal, so it looks like we'll be stashing 3-4 guys again this year.

Do we have precedence on eligible players on the RGV team?  I know we're affiliated, but seeing Goudelock on the Lakers made me wonder.

#4 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 77 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

Jesus, see what you started Huq, now back to the rumors of trading Lin packaging him with other player. smh lol

#5 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,219 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

this was actually written by Forrest Walker. I personally think the best course is just standing pat.

#6 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 2,590 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

first and foremost if the Rockets sign Ivey he will be #20. the Rockets have19 players under contract now.

1.Asik

2,D-12

3.Harden

4.Lin

5.Parsons

6.D-Mo

7.T-Jones

8.Camby

9.Garcia

10.Casspi

11.Williams

12.Henriquez

13.Young

14.Covington

15.Beverly

16.Canaan

17.G-Smith

18.Brooks

19.Brewer

I agree a trade is in the works because all of these players have some level of guaranteed money. However some of these players can not be traded until later in the season because they already had NBA experience when we sign them. Garcia, Brooks, Brewer, Williams, Casspi and Camby fall into this category. these players can not be traded until January 15. as it stands now the Rockets would have to release four players of what we already have signed. should it come down to releasing players and no trade is done I expect some combination of these players to be released.........Covington, Brewer, Young, Williams, Henriquez................the way I see it.....if no trade is done these 5 players are fighting for 1 roster position.

#7 John P

John P

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 17 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:41 AM

ideally, we trade Lin, draft picks and maybe a PF or two for a decent PF
          Then Bev starts, when really Harden is the PG.
          Brooks and Cannan are then backups.
          That is a really weak PG spot in my opinion but it could happen.

But what honestly could we get for Lin?
          At this point he most of the league probably think he is overpaid.

I personally prefer to keep him.
          He showed real potential last season (the SA and other games come to mind) and he is still in the learning the NBA phase of his career.
          His character is top notch and now with Harden and particularly Howard attracting all of the attention and expectations he can just do whatever he does and he won't be scrutinized as much.

I just simply love Asik. I hope we can find a way to keep him, at least for this contract, to backup and hopefully play some with Howard.
          ...at the end though, he is by far our best trade chip and you know at some point LMA, Love, or some decent PF will come over for him.
          ...unless of course Jones or Dmo grow up this summer/early season...but I have my doubts.

will the season start already.

#8 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 309 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:28 AM

Forrest, I hope you realize the obvious issue here. 

You can NOT trade guys you just signed, it's in the CBA, of the guys we can trade right now is basically

Harden

Lin

Parsons

Asik

Dmo

Beverley

Smith

Jones

Canaan

Thats it, you can't even trade Garcia / Brooks, though you may be able to trade Young / Covington / Henriquez I suppose but they are worth nothing and doesn't achieve anything. if your trading 4 guys it has to be 4 out of those 9. and quite frankly, trading 4 of those guys so you can keep Brewer / Willams / Casspi / Camby /Ivy is stupid.

They'll stand pat, one or two of Willams / Brewer / Cassipi / Brooks / Camby wont make the roster. it's that simple.  The team has reached a point where there will be far less wheeling and dealing as long as Dwight and Harden is on the roster. over and under of major trades this team pulls in the next 2 season is basically 1 (the Asik trade. which is 50/50 at best.)

Edited by RollingWave, 27 August 2013 - 01:29 AM.

#9 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 1,288 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if we pull off a major trade at the deadline

Why so Serious? :D

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 2,590 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:09 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if we pull off a major trade at the deadline

while I tend to agree......you never really know with Morey. I think he is waiting for the right deal. whether that presents itself now or at the deadline he won't pause for a moment to pull the trigger. its more about the right deal than timing.

#11 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 536 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

Stand Pat, prove me right Morey.

#12 Stephen

Stephen

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 310 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:41 AM

Read this and immediately thought,hmmm,and thinking it over still think Lin doesn't believe he's got a long-term future in Houston:

Lin said it was too early to talk about his future in Houston after his first season in which he started all 82 regular-season games and averaged more than 13 points and six assists.
                “Right now I know there’s always speculation about what might happen, but I haven’t made any decisions I haven’t thought about it and I’m going to approach that question when the time comes,” Lin said.
                http://blog.chron.co...-dwight-howard/

Now we don't know the conversation that preceded this,or if this was some brutal translation. But it read to me at first sight that Lin has at least contemplated asking for a trade if he gets benched.

#13 BrentYen

BrentYen

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 77 posts
                • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:17 AM

Read this and immediately thought,hmmm,and thinking it over still think Lin doesn't believe he's got a long-term future in Houston:

Lin said it was too early to talk about his future in Houston after his first season in which he started all 82 regular-season games and averaged more than 13 points and six assists.
                “Right now I know there’s always speculation about what might happen, but I haven’t made any decisions I haven’t thought about it and I’m going to approach that question when the time comes,” Lin said.

Now we don't know the conversation that preceded this,or if this was some brutal translation. But it read to me at first sight that Lin has at least contemplated asking for a trade if he gets benched.

I think you are over-analyze it, he probably just meant, "I can not control if trade happens or not, just wait and see"

LOF here.

#14 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 2,590 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

I'll tell you the biggest thing that got me when I read this article. Lin said that he had not trained with Howard yet this was after the whole team was supposed to have gotten together out in LA. makes me wonder he was part of that or not. I had assumed he was. something else that got me was him being unsure of his status on this team. It appears to me he's not sure he will be here

#15 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 309 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:43 AM

I'll tell you the biggest thing that got me when I read this article. Lin said that he had not trained with Howard yet this was after the whole team was supposed to have gotten together out in LA. makes me wonder he was part of that or not. I had assumed he was. something else that got me was him being unsure of his status on this team. It appears to me he's not sure he will be here

it was widely reported that he was there, by both the Rockets writers and player twitter, your reading something that just isn't there, "training with him" probably means specific plays ran between the 2 ,

#16 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 2,590 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

it was widely reported that he was there, by both the Rockets writers and player twitter, your reading something that just isn't there, "training with him" probably means specific plays ran between the 2 ,

if he was there why would he make that statement? that open up other questions. was he there, but didn't see the floor much because other PGs were hogging time? the workout was informal.......was he feeling left out of the team during this workout? if he played he and D-12 should have run the P&R many times if this is going to be one of your bread and butter plays, so how does he hasn't worked out with him sound......wasn't that the purpose of the gathering in LA in the first place? J-Lin has been very reserved during this off season. both Harden and Parsons have gone Hollywood and Lin has not sought the spotlight......hmmm. then the speech where he opened up about his feelings.......while I admire his courage this is almost taboo for an NBA player. most would be terrified to let something out like this out for fear of appearing weak in front of their peers. I'm sure the Rockets would have rather he not opened up. I thought I was just imaging things when he wasn't part of the team to recruit D-12 and his slow response to the news, his not being near any of the D-12 fan fair.........but I'm beginning to see a pattern. he does not sound like a confident player. Lin may be seeing the writing on the wall. sure Lin fans will justify all of these actions.......but I see a pattern

#17 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 2,590 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

to continue the pattern line of thought:

as this off season has unfolded these events have transpired

1. starting with the exit interviews their was a clear vibe given off by Beverly and Lin. we have discussed it here before, but now it appears it may have been the beginning of a pattern. after each players spoke to the media Bev kept saying McHale told him the sky was the limit for him while Lin was more subdued and said they discussed ways to improve his game

2. Lin is nowhere near any of the D-12 recruitment process or the fan fair following.......yet Beverly was part of the fan fair.....hmmm

3. Lin's slow reaction to the news of D-12's signing......considering how big this signing was there is no way G-Smith should beat him to twitter :)

4. It's clear the Rockets shopped Lin before the D-12 signing to explore what he would bring on the market, but later settled on the T-Rob deal. some feelings may have been hurt there

5. Lin opened up to crowd about.....well you know the interview......like I mention above while courageous...it's almost taboo for NBA players. do you think the Rockets were happy? maybe they sensed him separating and that's why a couple of players showed up at his basketball camp because he clearly seem surprised on his next tweet. Morey said in the D-12 interview that D-12 and Harden wanted Lin and Asik on the team yet almost everything the Rockets have done seems like it's preparing their departure(more on that in a minute)

6.Lin's statement I explored above( he hasn't practiced with D-12) if the informal gathering in LA wasn't for training together then what was it for?

7. Morey's AMA (ask him anything) feed he address Lin with a thumbs up, but look later what he said about Asik (Asik is a starter+ player. with that said he would rather play for a winner)..........Translation: Asik still wants out, but doesn't want to go to the Bobcats :lol: there is a high possibility the Rockets will move Lin in any Asik deal. the likely player they would be chasing would probably require Lin's salary to make the money work

8. the Rockets have 4 PG's and 4 C's on the roster.....they knew Lin, Beverly and Canaan were on the roster when they signed Brooks. they knew D-12, Asik, G-Smith and D-Mo were on the roster before they sign Camby. why would you give out guaranteed money to vets who expect playing time in already stacked positions on your team? Camby made it clear leaving NY he wanted to play and play for a contender.

9. whether we like to brush it aside or not, MONEY...........we are aware of how their contracts work, 5 mil this year each for both Asik and Lin and 15 mil next year for both with cap hits of 8.3 mil both this year and next. it only makes sense that the Rocket try to move at least one of these contracts especially if they want to shorten Parsons deal so they can retain him in restricted free agency. I could go on about the other benifits of moving both of these contracts, but I think you get the picture.

in conclusion it appears everything the Rockets are saying sounds good, but what they are doing is a different story. they appear to be making preparations for the departure of both Asik and Lin. Lin may be seeing that based on his actions. some may see it as minor however I see a pattern emerging. I was of the belief the Rockets would wait until the deadline to trade both, now believe it may happen before the season.

#18 BrentYen

BrentYen

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 77 posts
                  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

in conclusion it appears everything the Rockets are saying sounds good, but what they are doing is a different story. they appear to be making preparations for the departure of both Asik and Lin. Lin may be seeing that based on his actions. some may see it as minor however I see a pattern emerging. I was of the belief the Rockets would wait until the deadline to trade both, now believe it may happen before the season.

So, in your opinion, will Morey settle for getting nothing or very little back, just send Lin and/or Asik away? Or any legit target that is still there in the market?

LOF here.

#19 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 2,590 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

So, in your opinion, will Morey settle for getting nothing or very little back, just send Lin and/or Asik away? Or any legit target that is still there in the market?

I think they haven't traded already because the right deal isn't on the table yet, but that can appear any time. Morey will not let Asik go for nothing......no pennies on the dollar deal for sure. Lin value on the trade market is a question mark at this point.....maybe they are hoping he has a decent preseason to up that value. it's unclear if they think enough of both D-Mo and T-Jones to feel the PF position can be manned properly without and upgrade......if they are confident it can then it's even more unclear what they may be chasing

#20 CC.

CC.

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 43 posts
                  • LocationRio Grande Valley, TX

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

It would make no complete sense, if Lin or Asik were to leave without the Rockets receiving someone of value. NO SENSE at all. Especially if it's not an equivalent PG as Brooks with the starter minutes he's had, he should not convince anybody he's ready to be the starter PG. He's capable of doing it, don't get me wrong, but his sample size isn't large enough. So what's the issue in hurrying a trade? Why do some want Lin or Asik gone so sudden? Lin is a PnR PG/right-hand slasher who already knows how to play with Harden! Do ya'll know how important chemistry is?? Why take him away and put an outsider to start!? Nooooo sense. Asik on the other hand, playing possibly as a back-up center, is a lot more movable because of the paycheck he's owed, and makes sense to trade him away when possible for the right deal, as he is starter-worthy and shouldn't be gone cheaply.

I think we're getting a little over our heads as of what to happened last season with obtaining Harden. The Rockets have been surprising us lately, and they've all been good surprises-Harden,Beverley,Robinson,Canaan,Howard-but we can't just let two of last season's starters be packaged away for LMA or a pack of bubblegum. So patience...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users