Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  2016Champions : (23 July 2013 - 12:07 PM) "Overall, when a qualifying defender is within 5 feet of the basket, the NBA shoots 57.2% of its attempts close to the basket; however, when Dwight Howard was the interior defender this number dropped to 48.2%"

2010-11?
@  2016Champions : (23 July 2013 - 12:06 PM) Weird, I can see John Eby's daily on the front page but not in the forum. I was wondering which season the Kirksberry study was in reference to.
@  2016Champions : (22 July 2013 - 09:13 PM) I'm not sure, but I think this is Chandler Parsons blocking DeMarcus Cousins: https://vine.co/v/hKnZuWQ7qLK
@  Ostrow : (22 July 2013 - 08:22 PM) He was my first thought as well, but he was so good offensively.
@  CC. : (22 July 2013 - 08:05 PM) Well there's Kevin McHale haha. 6th man of the year twice, Of course he wasn't just strictly a defensive player, but he did star in six all defensive teams, which ain't too bad right
@  Ostrow : (22 July 2013 - 07:50 PM) I love me a Asik, he's just a weird type of player for a 6th made. I'm trying to think of great 6th men who came of the bench and basically were only defensive players.
@  CC. : (22 July 2013 - 07:48 PM) And yeah I don't see Asik as that 6th man Harden once was, but he still anchors that defense for 48 minutes, and for a team like the Rockets...they need it and that's fine for me as a '6th man'
@  CC. : (22 July 2013 - 07:45 PM) I honestly have kept OKC as the 1st, until now that I'm finding out Martin left haha. I'd go with the Spurs now
@  Ostrow : (22 July 2013 - 07:41 PM) Who sounds like your one seed out of curiosity? I mean our 6th man isn't great for that role. Obviously Asik is good, but not your stereotypical 6th man sparkplug scorer off the bench
@  CC. : (22 July 2013 - 07:18 PM) So that leaves OKC with Reggie as their 6th man? Hmm that doesn't sound like 1st seed to me
@  redfaithful : (21 July 2013 - 09:15 AM) 3 team deal with Bucks, OKC got rights to Szymon Szewczyk, drafted 2003...
@  Ostrow : (21 July 2013 - 07:25 AM) sign and trade. they didn't want to pay him
@  RollingWave : (21 July 2013 - 03:48 AM) they got Luk Ridinour for him I think
@  CC. : (21 July 2013 - 01:18 AM) Wait what happened to Kevin Martin? OKC got only a second round pick for him?
@  timetodienow... : (20 July 2013 - 02:55 AM) guy*
@  timetodienow... : (20 July 2013 - 02:54 AM) Yeah, I can see that. The dude is my favorite irrational confidence guys.
@  2016Champions : (20 July 2013 - 02:52 AM) I do see the reason for comparison though, both capable scorers and defensive liabilities.
@  2016Champions : (20 July 2013 - 02:51 AM) Nate wouldn't have accepted the flimsy contract we gave Brooks. Brooks is nothing more than an emergency 3rd string, where as Nate is looking for more than that.
@  timetodienow... : (20 July 2013 - 02:15 AM) What are you guys' thoughts about bringing in Nate Robinson? I wondered why the Rockets signed Brooks when Nate was still available.
@  timetodienow... : (20 July 2013 - 01:59 AM) Cousins isn't consistent enough for that. I ranked them on a post if you want to comment there.

Photo

Metered Expectations or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Rockets

38 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

New post: Metered Expectations or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Rockets
    By: Forrest Walker

Dwight Howard and James Harden are both superstars. Superstar level talent is the most coveted asset in the NBA, and the Houston Rockets somehow went in for a second serving in two summers. After wildly exceeding expectations and making the playoffs last season, the Rockets now looks like a real playoff threat in a stacked Western Conference. The natural reaction to this news is celebration, excitement and speculation. As a wave of good feelings washes over Houston and Rockets fans around the world, it's easy to surf that wave. The Lakers surfed the same wave last season, and it came crashing down on top of them. It's worth climbing off the tower a little bit today to avoid backing away from the ledge next year.

It's important to remember that there are loads of reasons to believe that the Rockets are on track to win 55+ games and cement home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs. Dwight Howard, when healthy, is a top ten player in the league at worst, and James Harden is already on his way to that tier. This Rockets team is young, flexible and well-run. There's no reason that they can't knock on the door of the Finals this year or any year. That being said, there are a million reasons why they might not make that huge jump everyone's slating them for. In fact, it's reasonable to think they might not even move up in the standings in their own division.

It would be easy to forget the lessons of last season due to the success of that same season. Going into that pre-season, Jeremy Lin was the biggest name on the roster and Ã–mer Aşık's contract was under attack for being too pricey. The Houston Tank Job finally seemed to be around the corner, and a losing season was overwhelmingly predicted for the young, inexperienced Rockets. Even after the eleventh hour acquisition of James Harden, the Rockets were only supposed to win five or six more games, barely scraping a .500 record. Apart from general manager Daryl Morey and his front office, nobody expected the Rockets to make the playoffs and be, well... good.

After getting ready to just enjoy a fun, fast-paced ride and root for breakout games and skill from prospects, Rockets fans were treated to a meal they'd been ready to pass up. Competitive games and an exciting first round playoff series made anything look possible. For a couple days in May, unspoken hopes too dangerous to believe rushed to the surface. Could the Rockets possibly beat the Thunder? Could they be the first NBA team to come back from 0-3? The answer, of course, was no. But the tone had changed. Houston was about to stop being a team of the future and start being a team of today.

Now Morey's gone and snagged the biggest fish in the pond, Dwight Howard, and expectations have ballooned to titanic proportions. With the painful nadir of a rebuild quietly skipped over, and a growing Houston team pairing up with a top talent, why wouldn't they make the playoffs? The second round? The conference finals? The NBA finals, even? Heck, when do we start clearing a spot for the third Larry O'Brien trophy? Everything seems to be going Houston's way the past year. Why not a little longer?

Health, chemistry and luck are why not. Even if you think the Rockets are the most talented team in the league (they're not) or the most skilled (they're not), they aren't immune to the same factors which derail 29 teams every year. Luck and health worked to sideline Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City's star point guard and a truly important player. There seemed to be no chance for the Thunder to miss the Finals before Westbrook's Houston-related injury in the playoffs. A pair of knees colliding in next year's playoffs could see James Harden sitting instead, and there's no way to predict it or even safeguard against it.

The Los Angeles Lakers of last year are perhaps the most chilling cautionary tale of all. A team that by all rights should have competed for the top record in the league instead floundered and struggled, barely cementing a playoff spot at all. All three factors worked against them, with Kobe Bryant's freak achilles tear at the end of the season as the penultimate blow. After losing dozens of player games to injury and struggling to find a system to accommodate four star players in Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard, the Lakers were dealt a final indignity when Howard fled to Houston, hoping to escape those problems. If that team in that city with those players couldn't make it work, then nothing is certain.

It's therefore entirely possible that the NBA Finals light at the end of a mediocrity tunnel is only a mirage.  But looking toward the destination distracts from the scenery that's rushing by, and that's an equal concern. The wonder and excitement of seeing James Harden and his team exceed all limits was its own reward last season. Aşık's quiet dominance and workmanlike demeanor were reasons to watch Rockets games. Chandler Parsons moved forward in a year everyone expected regression, culminating with an amazing explosion in the playoffs on a national stage. The Rockets didn't get out of the first round, but it didn't matter. They'd done so much, so fast, and it was so amazing. But anyone who just looked at the standings, just waited until April to catch games was missing out.

With so many questions that can't be answered until the season begins, raised expectations are an invitation for disappointment. The Rockets spoiled Houston fans with an amazing, exciting season beyond anyone's expectations. Morey then followed it up by snagging a free agent that would have been merely a pipe dream only months earlier. It's tempting to claim greatness before it's been earned. But the road to that greatness is just as fascinating and far easier to miss. the Rockets may not blast apart ceilings this year, but they're sure to make moves and show abilities nobody expected. The only way to find out is to watch them for what they are, not cursing them for what they aren't... yet. Getting swept up in the tide of good feelings is easy, but letting a team surprise you is sublime.

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 2,104 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

true the rockets may not be the most skilled or the most talented, but (IMO) they are the best combination of the two. I expect western conference finals at least. true there will be growing pains, but the rockets are smart. no one can guard against injury, but we are young with players who don't have terrible injury histories. the sky is the limit......sure I will enjoy the journey, but make no mistake I expect it to end in the winners circle :rolleyes:

Edited by rockets best fan, 19 July 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#3 Rockets fan newton

Rockets fan newton

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 135 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:01 AM

true the rockets may not be the most skilled or the most talented, but (IMO) they are the best combination of the two. I expect western conference finals at least. true there will be growing pains, but the rockets are smart. no one can guard against injury, but we are young with players who don't have terrible injury histories. the sky is the limit......sure I will enjoy the journey, but make no mistake I expect it to end in the winners circle :rolleyes:

I agree I expect atleast WCF..we are also the deepest team..our third string line up if we get camby is
      Brooks Williams Casspi smith Camby
      That beats most team sec string..we lose Howard we have Asik..we lose harden them Lin takes over ball duties which I know most wouldn't like but I promise we would still compete with most if not any team with Lin Garcia Parsons Tjones and Howard starting line up..Clippers lose Paul or Blake they are done..Golden state loses Curry they are done..we saw what happens to OKC if hey lose Westbrook or Durant..other then OKC we have been the healthiest team so far in the West so there is no reason to assume we would have problems God willing..and like I said even if we do we have plenty role players that can step up..if Tjones and Lin play a lil consistent we are the best all around team in the Nba..bold I know..with the heat winning 2 In a row and a bunch of unproven players..no fan talking..I will be surprised if we are not in the finals this year..no matter what happens during the year

#4 CC.

CC.

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:11 AM

At least WCF? Guys it's great we're optimistic but I expect at least that we reach second round and hopefully prevail. If this were the East Conference, sure we'd have great odds at the ECF, but I'm actually putting our ceiling at the WCF. Spurs,Clippers,Memphis,OKC all have at least two years of consecutive playoffs experience, some even more, not to mention the Warriors are on the rise too. And reaching the finals in 2014....uhh I can't see it. I'll hope for it though  :)

#5 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 980 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:44 AM

Rockets win the title in 6. That's after going 4 4 4 in the Western Conference

#6 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 2,252 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:45 AM

Our PF's are too inexperienced for us to win it all, but if they improve fast we have a legit shot. Parsons also has to step up and become our perimeter stopper. 

Debates are destructive as they present one-sided opinions and demolish reasoned arguments, whereas discussions are constructive and encourage the expression of opinion.

Debate is the death of conversation.

#7 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 876 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:57 AM

I think that having Garcia starting at the SF and moving Parsons to PF would be best for this team in the long run if Jones and DMo don't excel at the start of the season and LA and Love aren't available. Having Parsons being guarded by slower PFs would be good, and we need somebody there for when teams like SAS(with Kawhi), MIA(with James), NYK(with Melo), OKC(with Durant), etc.... go small ball. We did Delfino last year and he got abused. I always wondered why Parsons wasn't at that spot given his height. He'd need to add strength, but having 4 3 point shooters surrounding Dwight would be best for him and having 3 3 point shooters for Harden to pass out to would cut down on his turnovers significantly.

Why so Serious? :D

#8 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 2,252 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

I think there are a few reasons why Parsons isn't playing PF.

• Lack of strength
          • Poor rebounding fundamentals and instincts
          • He's one of our best transition scorers, the 3 spot gives him a head start
          • He's our best perimeter defender, and his ability to guard some SG's helps us hide our worst perimeter defender--James Harden

Debates are destructive as they present one-sided opinions and demolish reasoned arguments, whereas discussions are constructive and encourage the expression of opinion.

#9 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 876 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:53 AM

True, but I guess I just think he needs to learn the PF spot so we can go small ball. Unless you guys are right and Jones is good enough to be a starter this year.

#10 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 2,252 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:06 AM

Although it's more important at the 5 than it is at the 4, I prefer big men who are good defenders. It's very rare to have a 4 who is a very good defender and shoots 3's, which is part of the reason I like Terrence Jones. I think he can become our Lamar Odom with better shot blocking ability. 

Edited by 2016Champions, 20 July 2013 - 03:08 AM.

#11 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 876 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:23 AM

Whoa. Lamar Odom at his prime was really good. He had guard skills in a 7 foot body. That's some pretty big praise. 

#12 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 980 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

He is stealing it from me. ;) I've been saying that since they drafted him. That is who my comp of T-Jones has always been, Lamar Odom the Laker/Pre-Kardashian years. A 15 and 8 guy as your third/fourth option. I'd like to see him get some run as a three (in spots) so the lineup can be Howard, D-Mo, Jones, Parsons, Harden.

#13 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 2,252 posts
            • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:46 AM

Whoa. Lamar Odom at his prime was really good. He had guard skills in a 7 foot body. That's some pretty big praise. 

Odom is 6'10". Jones is 6'9.5"

I agree with your sentiment that Odom had better guard skills, but Jones does have some guard skills too to make the comparison justifiable. I've thought about it, and I can't think of a better comparison despite the minor differences. 

#14 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 876 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:51 AM

If you're saying that's his ceiling, I wouldn't disagree, but he's 2-3 full years away from that at least IMO

#15 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 2,252 posts
            • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

If you're saying that's his ceiling, I wouldn't disagree, but he's 2-3 full years away from that at least IMO

I agree. When I said "I think he can become our Lamar Odom" I was indeed insinuating he's not there yet. 

Edited by 2016Champions, 20 July 2013 - 04:21 AM.

#16 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
            • 1,017 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:21 AM

Am I crazy, I still think Jones is an updated version of Horace Grant.
            The 2012-2013 Red94 Fantasy Basketball League Champion

#17 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 2,252 posts
            • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

Am I crazy, I still think Jones is an updated version of Horace Grant.

I do see the reason for comparison, but Grant didn't look to drive as much as Jones does even though Grant was capable of it, and Jones is a much better 3pt shooter by default. Simply put, Grant was more of a skilled PF-C while Jones is more of a skilled PF-SF.

Edited by 2016Champions, 20 July 2013 - 04:36 AM.

#18 Jeby

Jeby

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 148 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

I do see the reason for comparison, but Grant didn't look to drive as much as Jones does even though Grant was capable of it, and Jones is a much better 3pt shooter by default. Simply put, Grant was more of a skilled PF-C while Jones is more of a skilled PF-SF.

When I first spotted Jones on Ford's top 100 on ESPN his freshman year at UK, he was projected as a big SF good ball-handling skills, even for a wing. I was hoping he would declare for the draft, and that the Rox would take him the year they picked Marcus Morris, but we had to wait a year, during which he developed into more of a 4 playing between Kidd-Gilchrist and The Brow at UK. If he can be consistent with his shot, then he could leapfrog some other stretch-fours like Ryan Anderson because of his defense and driving ability.
              I don't think it's an overstatement to say that Jones' whole career hinges on his ability to hit threes this season. Without it, the rest of his unique skill set is hard to find a fit for.
              "Assets" -- Daryl Morey

#19 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 876 posts
              • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

When I first spotted Jones on Ford's top 100 on ESPN his freshman year at UK, he was projected as a big SF good ball-handling skills, even for a wing. I was hoping he would declare for the draft, and that the Rox would take him the year they picked Marcus Morris, but we had to wait a year, during which he developed into more of a 4 playing between Kidd-Gilchrist and The Brow at UK. If he can be consistent with his shot, then he could leapfrog some other stretch-fours like Ryan Anderson because of his defense and driving ability.
              I don't think it's an overstatement to say that Jones' whole career hinges on his ability to hit threes this season. Without it, the rest of his unique skill set is hard to find a fit for.

I know. But he only needs to be able to hit the corner 3. So 2 spots on the court. I know it's not easy to learn to shoot from 3, but it's easier if there's only 2 spots to focus on. You can concentrate your efforts there rather than shooting everywhere during practice like Ray Allen.

#20 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 2,252 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

Watching him during summer league, I think he went 2-6 from behind the arc but he was a very confident 2-6 for whatever that's worth. And by confident I mean he would catch and shoot 3's without hesitation with a quick and smooth looking release. He also had a few moments where he timely passed on the 3 and drove to the basket catching defenses off-guard. 

Edited by 2016Champions, 20 July 2013 - 04:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users