Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  LMAOwais : (06 July 2013 - 02:42 AM) "sources confirm" is the most bullshit thing
@  bboley24 : (06 July 2013 - 12:32 AM) but paper doesnt mean anything
@  bboley24 : (06 July 2013 - 12:32 AM) on paper
@  bboley24 : (06 July 2013 - 12:32 AM) 2 behind LA
@  bboley24 : (06 July 2013 - 12:31 AM) unBias opinion?
@  LMAOwais : (06 July 2013 - 12:26 AM) On paper where do we stack up in the west now?
@  bboley24 : (06 July 2013 - 12:23 AM) I don't know how this man does it.
@  bboley24 : (06 July 2013 - 12:23 AM) NO WAY
@  thenit : (06 July 2013 - 12:16 AM) Morey is a god he has traded Royce to philly
@  bboley24 : (05 July 2013 - 11:04 PM) Asik with the hawks would be great for him... horford back to the 4 spot and he dominates the middle
@  bboley24 : (05 July 2013 - 11:02 PM) OMer won't be apart of an organization that is willing to get rid of him for someone else...  that's his theory
@  Ostrow : (05 July 2013 - 11:01 PM) Asik http://espn.go.com/n...ard-source-says
@  thenit : (05 July 2013 - 11:01 PM) Nothing today but there were rumours a few days ago that houston was shopping for Lin and Asik, oh well I'm out this is too much stress
@  bboley24 : (05 July 2013 - 11:01 PM) im kidding.
@  bboley24 : (05 July 2013 - 11:01 PM) THIS JUST IN... DWIGHT TO THE WIZARDS
@  Ostrow : (05 July 2013 - 11:00 PM) Haven't seen anything about Lin. Asik does not want to play w/ or back-up Howard
@  thenit : (05 July 2013 - 10:59 PM) if we get smith and d12 i rather have Lin than Asik if I have to trade one of them
@  thenit : (05 July 2013 - 10:59 PM) I'm just gonna go for a run and hopefully when i get back all this will be cleared up. This is such a setup for heartbreak
@  LMAOwais : (05 July 2013 - 10:58 PM) no official announcement from Dwight or his camp. Sources indicate all other teams have been informed they are out. Finalizing details and will announce later tonight/tomorrow
@  bboley24 : (05 July 2013 - 10:58 PM) so we are stuck with lin? and they are moving asik for jsmith because they promised d12 smith?

Photo

Houston Rockets to meet with Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith, today

53 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

New post: Houston Rockets to meet with Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith, today
    By: rahat huq

https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/351657224562679808

When it was reported that the Rockets had made Omer Asik available in trade, I had speculated that Smith was the primary target.  Unless this is as a Howard contingency (rather than concurrency), it looks like that could be the case.

As I said before, I'm torn.  If signing Smith is an important part of the pitch to Howard, then the debate is moot.  But if not, there are merits to both sides of the argument.  On the one hand, it just makes rational economic sense to allocate your dollars in the manner of highest yield, per minute.  To that end, that would mean being able to play Smith and Howard together would be the greatest bang for the buck.  That scenario would be in contrast to the reality that Asik and Howard probably can't share the court for more than few minutes a game.

On the flip side, there's just something to having two defensively elite 7 footers on your squad.  Asik also serves as great Howard insurance.

But if you're going all the way in, you're not really thinking about insurance.  You're thinking about the best 5-man unit you can put on the floor for 35 minutes of a playoff game.  Despite Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas respective vast potentials, the Rockets probably feel they cannot expect to immediately contend with relative unknowns at the '4'.

Howad with Smith is a scenario we had widely discussed throughout the season.  Funny that it could have chance of happening.

#2 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 840 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Waste of money. Howard or not. Rather keep Asik and not have Howard, then have Howard and Mr Eroding Skills.

#3 bboley24

bboley24

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 144 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

Not everyone can shoot the ball at once.  Thank god Dwight doesn't shoot threes.

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
        • 1,602 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

If this happens you guys are going to be on the Josh Smith bandwagon sooner than later.  Smith will come in as the 3rd option--which is ideal--and will be able to dominate defensively while playing off the ball on offense.  I can already hear the collective groans that will emanate all the way to Austin from Houston every time he shoots a 20' jumper.  I don't care.  I can live with that shot from him the same way I can live with Dwight's BS--it's worth it to get the rest of the package.  If this goes down the Rockets immediately become western conference favorites.

bboley24, don't watch this video...

#5 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 556 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Just as I'm not a big fan of signing D12 and keeping Asik, I feel the same about signing D12, then signing Josh Smith. Why have so much of your team's cap tied up in just the Center position, especially knowing the dearth of Centers in the NBA which has resulted in a number of teams being successful with small ball lineups? Why do the Rockets need another defensive stopper, which is really Josh Smith's best attribute, if we already have the 3 time Defensive player of the year on the team?

I would simply suggest creating more roster flexibility is the better way to go. For sure the Rockets are going to need proven 3 point shooting to build around Harden and Howard. And better wing defenders. Does Josh Smith have the requisite quickness to match up with shooting guards and small forwards in today's league? I don't believe so.

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
          • 1,602 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Josh Smith brings plenty to the table.  He can play either forward position effectively.  Pairing him with Parsons gives us two highly-skilled, long, and athletic forwards that can shoot from 3, drive to the rim, and can pass well too (Smith would probably be the team's best passer).  That gives us excellent versatility on offense as well as defense.  Teams that rely on picks and screens to create mismatches off of defensive switches will have no such luck with us as Parsons and Smith can guard multiple positions with ease.

Our offensive system will be fine.  Smith shoots over 60% near the rim--this is equivalent to 40% from three--very efficient and within Morey's schemes.  He will command a great deal of attention near the rim...this means Howard will once again benefit and get plenty of dunks off of quick passes and rebounds as his man will be distracted by Smith.

As for the question of too much defense--no, I don't think we can have too much defense.  Presuming Lin gets shipped on this deal, this gives us Beverley at PG (good D), Parsons at SF (good D), Smith, and Howard...Harden might even get in on the act!  The Bulls and Pacers make their living playing defense.  If they had a consistent, dynamic scoring threat I think either one of them could have made it to the finals this year.

If these moves happen I will begin making plans for the Rockets being in the finals.  We will be that good.  Solid defense plus solid offense equals too much AWESOME for any other team to handle B)

#7 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 749 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Don't get crazy there. Harden is as allergic to D as Melo once was.

Why so Serious? :D

#8 Dan G

Dan G

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 119 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

Don't get crazy there. Harden is as allergic to D as Melo once was.

Using Melo as an example hurts your argument IMO. They key word is "once" in that second sentence. Melo actually improved on defense after everyone ragged on him for years. How can the same not happen for Harden especially if he is surrounded by good defenders? Good defense can be contagious.

#9 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
            • 955 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

When asked to be Harden is an outstanding defender.

The 2013 Red94 Fantasy Basketball League Champion

#10 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 749 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

Are you saying he wasn't "asked" to defend this year? I don't know if I believe that. I believe(my opinion) that coaches want two way players. I could be wrong though...

#11 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 840 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

If Josh Smith signs I'm through with the Rockets. I don't wanna waste my time with a team that has a 0.0% chance of winning a title. And with Josh Smith eating up $15M+ of your salary cap, that is your percentage of winning a title.

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
              • 1,602 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

If Josh Smith signs I'm through with the Rockets. I don't wanna waste my time with a team that has a 0.0% chance of winning a title. And with Josh Smith eating up $15M+ of your salary cap, that is your percentage of winning a title.

Seriously though...Smith without Howard is a different animal altogether.

While I agree that signing Smith alone does not thrust us into elite contender status it is certainly an upgrade on both sides of the ball.  It is speculation as to how much of an upgrade--I think his skill set will be maximized here and that he was burned out and mishandled in Atlanta.  At worst, we get a guy who isn't keyed in all the time and can disappear for one or two games at a time.  That would be unfortunate.  Still, the rest of the time he still posts healthy averages, plays D, and goes off for huge games about 25% of the time (need to re-check that, but if memory serves it was about 1 out of 4 games that he dominated).

Given the rest of the roster and their (almost) guaranteed improvement I think that team can compete against any team in a 7 game series--at this point it will come down to the same thing it always seems to--the 3 ball and late game defense.

Josh Smith would thrive in the Rockets' system--pure and simple B)

#13 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 616 posts
              • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

I don't think that's quite right. I would state it rather as "When motivated to prioritize defense, Harden can do a good job". Back when he was on the Thunder I remember seeing him do a pretty decent job of guarding Kobe - the team needed him to defend above all else and he responded to the challenge. But in his current situation it is not often that he will [a] be motivated (he's in the conversation with Kobe and Wade now - that matchup is no longer something he has to raise his game for) and [b] be asked to prioritize defence (no matter how badly McHale would like him to be a better defender, they need his offense more).

Perhaps this will change if another couple of max contracts arrive (although I'm sceptical). Alternatively if Harden can improve his conditioning to the point that he is able to expend more energy defensively without hurting his offense, we might see an uptick there.

ST

#14 bboley24

bboley24

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 144 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

Son of a ....  he hit that three.  Without using any other part of his body beyond his arms.  

#15 Richards

Richards

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 178 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

Morey is in Kamikaze mode. Netting Howard or losing out on all others and awkward moments with Lin and Asik.

#16 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 749 posts
                  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Lin won't be a diva. So he has no worries there.

#17 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 840 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Josh Smith will kill Houston's system. Ball stoppers always do.

#18 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 1,980 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

Josh Smith brings plenty to the table.  He can play either forward position effectively.  Pairing him with Parsons gives us two highly-skilled, long, and athletic forwards that can shoot from 3, drive to the rim, and can pass well too (Smith would probably be the team's best passer).  That gives us excellent versatility on offense as well as defense.  Teams that rely on picks and screens to create mismatches off of defensive switches will have no such luck with us as Parsons and Smith can guard multiple positions with ease.

Our offensive system will be fine.  Smith shoots over 60% near the rim--this is equivalent to 40% from three--very efficient and within Morey's schemes.  He will command a great deal of attention near the rim...this means Howard will once again benefit and get plenty of dunks off of quick passes and rebounds as his man will be distracted by Smith.

As for the question of too much defense--no, I don't think we can have too much defense.  Presuming Lin gets shipped on this deal, this gives us Beverley at PG (good D), Parsons at SF (good D), Smith, and Howard...Harden might even get in on the act!  The Bulls and Pacers make their living playing defense.  If they had a consistent, dynamic scoring threat I think either one of them could have made it to the finals this year.

If these moves happen I will begin making plans for the Rockets being in the finals.  We will be that good.  Solid defense plus solid offense equals too much AWESOME for any other team to handle B)

JG I'm starting to warm to the j-smith idea........as long as Howard is already in tow of course :lol:

#19 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 840 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

Say this out loud, "Josh Smith third best player on championship t te tea." I can't even finish it without busting out in laughter. Average name average player. Not signing him will be like missing the iceberg. Signing him will be like shuffling the deck chair on the Titanic for 4 years until you can finally unload his contract.

@johnny you lost the debate when you had to revert to name calling. Personal attacks only happen when someone is losing a debate and wants to end it.

Edited by Steven, 02 July 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#20 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 426 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

Bosh was the third best player on the heat and they won back to back titles I'd put smith and bosh on the same level as similar caliber players

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users