Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  timetodienow... : (16 August 2013 - 10:35 PM) Has anyone noticed that Morey is more comfortable typing than speaking?
@  2016Champions : (16 August 2013 - 08:53 PM) Daryl Morey's reddit AMA today: http://www.reddit.co...eason_addition/
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:54 PM) (Although having said that, Cleveland and Washington being improved mean that there might actually be some competition towards the bottom of the Eastern Conference playoff bracket for once).
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:53 PM) They may end up with the 8th seed again this year, but they'll be a team on the up rather than a team that's reached its peak.
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:52 PM) That's a lot of shooting, anyhow. And they've filled the bench with serviceable players, too.
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:49 PM) (or maybe you put Gary Neal in for Delfino)
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:48 PM) It's not a roster completely devoid of talent, anyway. Knight/Mayo/Delfino/Ilyasova/Sanders seems like a reasonable starting lineup.
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:45 PM) A lot depends on if they can develop their young guys. Knight, Henson, Antetokounmpo...
@  timetodienow... : (16 August 2013 - 06:41 PM) Although this signing does make them look better to me.
@  timetodienow... : (16 August 2013 - 06:40 PM) Maybe. I don't really care all that much, but it just seems like he's being underpaid. And why would he want to stay in MIL? Have you seen the moves they've made thus far.
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:36 PM) A player with 7 years' experience qualifies for a bigger max contract, right? Maybe he's angling for that
@  timetodienow... : (16 August 2013 - 06:33 PM) I hope he has an ETO. That would make the deal make sense in my mind. Otherwise why not play next year and get offered the max by a desperate team and have MIL match?
@  timetodienow... : (16 August 2013 - 06:32 PM) Then why not get a 5th year?
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:31 PM) And if Sanders doesn't mind Milwaukee then he would probably want as long a contract as possible...maximise guaranteed money and all that.
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:30 PM) Milwaukee probably have a bit more leverage than most teams do in contract negotiations in that [a] it's an extension rather than a resign, so they could just let him to to RFA; and [b] they have a really deep front court rotation.
@  timetodienow... : (16 August 2013 - 06:29 PM) True about Pek, but I don't consider them elite rim protectors like in the vein of Duncan/KG/Asik/Howard/Gasol/Noah/Hibbert(showed improvement last year). Drummond and Sanders are potential candidates for rim protectors in my opinion.
@  timetodienow... : (16 August 2013 - 06:26 PM) Unless he has an opt out clause after two years(he might) this was a dumb deal.
@  timetodienow... : (16 August 2013 - 06:26 PM) If he had to agree to the 11 per to get a 5th year, then I could see it.
@  timetodienow... : (16 August 2013 - 06:26 PM) I agree with you in a vacuum. But with Splitter making 9 mil per and Pek making 12 per and all of the other bigs making money, I don't think so.
@  Sir Thursday : (16 August 2013 - 06:25 PM) Pekovic got $60M/5 years...so a bit more. He's played long enough minutes to be sure it's sustainable though.

Photo

Grading Patrick Beverley

183 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

New post: Grading Patrick Beverley
    By: michael pina

Not many people knew who Patrick Beverley was before he collided with Russell Westbrook’s knee while attempting to steal the ball during Game 2 of the first round. It made him the center of attention and forced him beneath the brightest spotlight of his life. He was a role player who took out a star.

But, of course, Beverley is much more than that moment. His story began long before and will carry on long after. Here’s a quick recap of how his relationship with the Houston Rockets began, and where it currently stands.

After spending a few years playing professional basketball in Ukraine, Greece, and Russia, Beverley signed with the Rockets one week into 2013. His role was third-string point guard, an insurance policy for Jeremy Lin and Toney Douglas.

Eventually Beverley took Douglas’ minutes (allowing the team to include him in a deadline deal for Thomas Robinson), and soon after he found himself closing games on the court, with Lin on the bench. A combination of Beverley’s ability to space the floor on offense and stay in front of quick ball-handlers on defense afforded him the time.

Beverley went from being a forgettable mid-season signing from Russia to starting five games in the playoffs (33.3 minutes, 11.8 points, and 5.5 rebounds per game) while standing as a key figure in the team’s small ball strategy.

That’s where we are. Here’s who he is: Pesky, frisky, a mosquito who does way more than put an itchy bump on your skin. Beverley plays with the same intensity regardless of where he/the ball is on the court. On his Twitter profile, he aptly refers to himself as “Mr. 94 Feet,” for obvious reasons.

He’s also an unknown commodity, as has previously been mentioned. Beverley’s last name is misspelled over several websites that aren’t in the business of misspelling the names of NBA players, including NBA.com’s new statistical database and Synergy Sports. (There’s no “e” between the “l” and “y” at the end of his last name.)

Beyond his name, what else is unknown is his immediate future with the Rockets. Not much useful lineup data can be gathered from his play with the team’s other fixtures (James Harden, Omer Asik, and Chandler Parsons) due to the small sample sizes, but I’ll be giving them to you anyway.

In just 156 regular season minutes beside Asik and Harden (the team’s two most important players), the Rockets scored 109.6 points per 100 possessions while allowing only 96.8. They outscored opponents by 1.28 points per possession and grabbed 36.4% of their own missed shots.

(When you throw Chandler Parsons into the mix, those four man units outscored opponents by 12 points per 100 possessions in only 70 total minutes played.)

That offensive rebounding rate is phenomenal, about a dozen percentage points higher than Houston’s season average. For reference, the Denver Nuggets led the league with an offensive rebounding rate of 31.4%, according to NBA.com/Stats.

Let’s talk some more about offensive rebounding because Beverley is really good at it. The average offensive rebounding rate among all point guards in the NBA last season was 2.1%. It’s so low for two reasons: 1) point guards are small, and 2) when a teammate shoots the ball, it’s the guard’s responsibility to retreat as a safety net and prevent any easy transition opportunities.

According to Hoopdata.com, Beverley’s offensive rebounding rate was 7.1%. It sounds high because it is, and Beverley was first among all point guards. Generally speaking it’s both good and bad to have your point guard bum rush the rim whenever a shot soars towards his own basket. Good because the potential for second chance points is theoretically increased now that the ball is in the hands of a player possessing high IQ player and an ability to pass—wide open three-pointers galore over here.

But should he or his team fail to corral the ball, they’re susceptible to an easy basket the other way. With Beverley on the floor this season the Rockets actually allowed fewer fast break points than their average, which is a little strange. Will that number negatively shift over the course of an entire season? Maybe. But all we can go from is the numbers we have.

Moving on, Beverley is fearless with the ball in his hands, but much like his “attack the glass” mentality in rebounding situations, it’s not necessarily a good thing all the time. Luckily he can get his own shot when need be, featuring a step back jumper that’s too quick for any defender’s reflexes, and a spin move (he might rely too much on) he often breaks out in the lane.

Once he penetrates past the opponent’s first level of defense, Beverley has difficulty reading the floor and making the correct play. When he gets too deep below the foul line the ratio of him finding a three-point shooter to launching a wild, contested floater isn’t favorable. That’ll need to improve if he wants to start next season.

But before we get ahead of ourselves, is starting over Jeremy Lin a realistic option? Of course it is. Beverley is a superior defender, rebounder, and shooter from distance. He doesn’t crumble under pressure and plays the game with evident confidence.

He is the best point guard on Houston’s current roster, and that’s nothing to be sad or disappointed about. Beverley isn’t “building block” good, but pieces like that (especially ones being paid less than $2 million combined over the next two seasons) are valuable. He’s a role player who maximizes his production within Houston’s demands. He’s a diamond in the rough.

Grade: B+

#2 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 248 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Great post.

I agree with the grade since he "earned" his PT with his work and effort. However I wouldn't agree with the statement that he is the best PG in our roster. I think its more like to be determined. Its realistic to believe he might be superior and a better fit than Lin, but until the sample size and playing against starters regularly, it will be hard to say. I would say ATM they are 1A and 1B with different skillset that will almost depend on more matchup to succeed.

#3 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 248 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Also I would give him an A-

#4 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 558 posts
        • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Awesome finding by Morey. Beverley represents the "never quit" philosophy. B+ seems accurate to me (as always, considering many factors like his team-friendly contract).

#5 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 2,456 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

totally agree. I also believe he is the best PG we have at the moment. very few PG's play pesky defense like him. you know your playing defense when you are starting to irritate the apposing player. I have seem several point guards become irritated with bev guarding them. my grade for the year A- ........based on what was expected of him anything less is unfair IMO

#6 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 1,187 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

Maybe, it's just me, but I don't see a point guard when I see Beverley play. I see a less talented version of Avery Bradley. Sure, he can shoot that 3 pointer, but he's not good enough to be a starting point guard in the league. Just with my eye test, I don't see someone with good court vision. But, maybe that's fine if Harden's going to be our point guard. I agree he's a pretty decent fit for our team since Harden is our point guard a good chunk of the time, but I don't see starter potential.

Why so Serious? :D

#7 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 1,187 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

That being said, based on what I expected him to do when he first got here, I'd give him an A.

Why so Serious? :D

#8 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 185 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

B+

Solid, unexpected production from a mid-season pickup. The description in the original post of "He’s a role player who maximizes his production within Houston’s demands" is spot on: His skill-set is a better fit with the current system and roster in Houston.

Should he start next season, it will be interesting to see if he can develop into more of a playmaker via the assist, especially if upgrades are made at PF/C. He recorded one assist total in Games 5 and 6 against OKC while taking 22 shots in 72 combined minutes of play.  

#9 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 1,132 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Best PG on the team. Should start. Solid A.

#10 rocketsfan

rocketsfan

• Members
            • Pip
            • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:29 AM

Based on Beverly's performance in playoffs, I think B+ is enough. His energetic and fearlessness is a plus. But I found he was overaggressive too much to get unnecessary fouls and mistakes. And based on his performance on regular season, his grade is C. He played 42 games with almost 20 minutes each game but only got 5 points. That's terrible. He was not consistent in regular season too. One game could be good, other games no score at all. Playoff is important but it doesn't mean he can maitain that in the whole season. I think next season Mchale can put Lin and him to start together. They played well together. Beverly is not a good general floor and didn't make the team better in the whole season. He needs to improve a lot too. And also harden should not be the PG.

#11 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 2,456 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:40 AM

Based on Beverly's performance in playoffs, I think B+ is enough. His energetic and fearlessness is a plus. But I found he was overaggressive too much to get unnecessary fouls and mistakes. And based on his performance on regular season, his grade is C. He played 42 games with almost 20 minutes each game but only got 5 points. That's terrible. He was not consistent in regular season too. One game could be good, other games no score at all. Playoff is important but it doesn't mean he can maitain that in the whole season. I think next season Mchale can put Lin and him to start together. They played well together. Beverly is not a good general floor and didn't make the team better in the whole season. He needs to improve a lot too. And also harden should not be the PG.

welcome to the forum. :rolleyes: is your picture of an egg? you gonna hatch out later maybe? :lol: just kidding around. now to the point you were pretty harsh on bev. you have a right to your opinion, but I saw a better player than you did base on your comment. you think lin and bev can start together? I don't agree with that at all. what are you going to do with harden?.....parsons?

#12 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 274 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

Good post. I'd probably give him an A-, as I value his terrific defense more than I can criticize his mistakes on offense, sort of like the opposite of Harden. I think the assessment that he's the best PG on our roster is correct. That is not saying he's a better player than Lin, but fits his role better as Lin is at his best in a SG type role. At the beginning of the season my biggest concern on this team was that our only true point was Douglas, and that's not taking anyone very far. Watching Bev come on the floor that first time and play the way he did with his tenacious D (and perfect shooting) was a breath of fresh air. I agree he has some work to do particularly on his decision making on offense, but for someone who joined the team mid season he did as well or better than expected. I bump him up to a A- mainly because you can point to more than a handful of games this season where his defensive heroics and energy late in games were the difference between a W and a L. Even if he is offensively challenged, he may be the best if not one of the best defensive points in the league and can bring even the best guards down to his offensive level with his D. He is a game changing presence that I hope we keep around for a while.

#13 dream7

dream7

• Members
                • Pip
                • 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

I like Beverley, I think his defense is overrated at the moment due to the Westbrook injury, but I will give him a B+ as well.

Good hustle guy

#14 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 274 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

I like Beverley, I think his defense is overrated at the moment due to the Westbrook injury, but I will give him a B+ as well.

Good hustle guy

The Westbrook injury has absolutely NOTHING to do with anybody praising Bev's defense. His impact on the games was stated pretty clearly in the post, and passes eye tests.

#15 Richards

Richards

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 234 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Grading was wrong. Bev was given same grade as Asik. That is B+.

Bev is a good spark off the bench with good defensive skill.

So far, he was inconsistent, commit too many unnecessary fouls and that could be a bad spell if he starts or plays more minutes.

In last game against OKC, his total assist is zero. I like him a lot and he will definitely improve.

But again, giving him same grade as Asik ain't right.

#16 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 248 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

The Westbrook injury has absolutely NOTHING to do with anybody praising Bev's defense. His impact on the games was stated pretty clearly in the post, and passes eye tests.

I agree that he is Very Good Defensively, but its hard to say with a straight face that he might be one of the best points on that aspect of the game. I think what he meant by that comment is that he never really had to guard an elite guard for extended period of time or consecutive games coming of the bench and during the playoffs Westbrook had his number until he got hurt. He is very good but we are kind of overrating him ATM IMO.

im

I agree on your previous post that he is a better fit with Harden and can also mask some of Harden D deficiences. I gave him an A- so im not underrating him either.

#17 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 274 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

I agree that he is Very Good Defensively, but its hard to say with a straight face that he might be one of the best points on that aspect of the game. I think what he meant by that comment is that he never really had to guard an elite guard for extended period of time or consecutive games coming of the bench and during the playoffs Westbrook had his number until he got hurt. He is very good but we are kind of overrating him ATM IMO.

im

I agree on your previous post that he is a better fit with Harden and can also mask some of Harden D deficiences. I gave him an A- so im not underrating him either.

I see your point with your first statement, but standing back and looking at mine, which PGs in the league would one call an "elite defender"? The nature of the position is inherently offensive, and the elite players at that position are considered so because of PPG and APG, mostly with steals as the only defensive stat to really gauge them by, which is a false stat because it is indicative of gambles rather than playing good D. I don't even think Westbrook "had his number", you could clearly tell that Russ was bothered by Bev's defense before the injury. So, who are the best defensive PGs in the league? Because I honestly can't answer that.

#18 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 274 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Also I may add that I'm a little biased towards Bev, because my Dad is Arkansas alumni and I was weened on Joe Kleine, Alvin Robertson and Darrell Walker. Lifelong Razorback fan here, so pardon my bias.

#19 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 248 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

We all have biases in our life, whether we want to admit it or not.

I agree that steals are deceptive. Westbrook had 15 points in the first half and Bev drew 2 fouls in the first 3 minutes. After that Lin took a charge and drew a foul on Westbrook and he sat a lot on the first Q. But in the 2nd Q he scored I believe 11 points on Bev.

Don't get me wrong Bev did a decent job and its hard to guard Westbrook.

However you are right though, I haven't really considered which PG's are elite defenders, because there aren't really any but a boat load of great offensive PG's. So let me rephrase it that until proven Bev can't be regarded as an elite stopper until he does it against regular starters, but he is on an awful good start and looks to have a potential to be great in that department. ATM he is just very good :)

#20 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
                              • PipPipPip
                              • 2,425 posts
                              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

I think Beverley's defense is very pleasing to the eye, he's so tenacious, but I don't see him stopping anyone or creating a ton of turnovers. Overall his defense is probably just above average to good, but not great.

Debates are destructive as they present one-sided opinions and demolish reasoned arguments, whereas discussions are constructive and encourage the expression of opinion.

Debate is the death of conversation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users