Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  pharmag : (07 May 2013 - 10:17 PM) @2016, that is too true!  Of course it helps that South Beach, LA, and NYC teams have their cap room tied up for forseeable future (barring a D12 or CP3 bailing)
@  2016Champions : (07 May 2013 - 02:59 PM) I feel like we're becoming one of the most desired destinations now too, our organization is moving on up!
@  feelingsuper... : (07 May 2013 - 01:09 PM) That is a good sign when other organizations cherry pick your staff. I think the culture and system that the Rockets have put in place and begun to develop in the end will be far more important than any coach.
@  blakecouey : (07 May 2013 - 03:10 AM) Going to miss Sampson.  Everything Ive heard/read/seen say hes a great coach.
@  RollingWave : (07 May 2013 - 02:54 AM) Our D, at least in half court, was very sound, the transition part though... eeek.
@  2016Champions : (07 May 2013 - 02:50 AM) Sampson was the mastermind behind our underrated defense.
@  Richards : (07 May 2013 - 02:30 AM) We all knew Morey put together the team and McHale/Sampson coached the players. Sampson was a mastermind behind coaching.
@  feelingsuper... : (07 May 2013 - 02:08 AM) You got a right to your opinion but seems like Morey is the brains to me, thought that was obvious with the offensive scheme and all that. Rockets coaching is about leadership at this point which McHale possesses in spades.
@  Richards : (07 May 2013 - 02:04 AM) Well, by reading what players said throughout the season, Sampson seems to be the brain behind Rockets basketball.
@  feelingsuper... : (07 May 2013 - 01:52 AM) Of course he stays, what do you mean by that question? It is a strange question since what assistants do would never effect a head coach that way.
@  Richards : (07 May 2013 - 12:51 AM) Will McHale stay if Sampson got coaching job at another team?
@  RollingWave : (05 May 2013 - 09:37 AM) Irving still need to work on a few things (most notably defense), his performance considering his age is great.
@  Dan G : (04 May 2013 - 06:50 AM) Damn..who knew tonight was gonna be close out the series night? Four Games 6s and four closeouts.
@  feelingsuper... : (04 May 2013 - 06:28 AM) Whatever comes the next few seasons (barring injuries) it will be hard to match the unadulterated excitement we had watching these young Rockets this past year, it was definitely some kind of roller coaster ride...
@  thenit : (04 May 2013 - 04:36 AM) Irving will be nasty good when LBJ will return to Cleveland as the lost son
@  thenit : (04 May 2013 - 04:36 AM) good night everyone, have a great summer and I won't be posting until july 1st. Still a proud rocket
@  LMAOwais : (04 May 2013 - 04:35 AM) i really do hate the prospect of mulling over every little piece of FA news this summer, but life of  fan I guess.
@  2016Champions : (04 May 2013 - 04:35 AM) Watch out for Irving though, that kid is shockingly good for someone who just turned 21. I wonder who will be the better player in 2 years.
@  thenit : (04 May 2013 - 04:34 AM) so small margins
@  thenit : (04 May 2013 - 04:34 AM) Overall a good season though didn't expect to get this far, but its always hard when you get your hopes up, imagine if that ball KD shot in game 3 didn't fall

Photo

We've Only Just Begun

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:00 AM

New post: We've Only Just Begun
    By: Forrest Walker

The curtain has finally closed on the strangest, most exciting Houston Rockets season in years. All the games have been played, all the scores tallied. The Rockets weren’t able to pull off a historic upset of the Oklahoma City Thunder in the first round, losing at home in a wild game six. They might not have broken out of the first round of the playoffs, but they broke out of the three year funk they had been mired in. This season might be over for Houston, but this team is just getting started.

Every longtime Rockets diehard and newly minted fan watched with sorrow as the Thunder turned the Tables on the Rockets in the fourth quarter of game six. The Thunder grabbed not just a win, but the right to leave the first round of the NBA playoffs and face off against the Memphis Grizzlies, Houston’s Southwest Division rival, leaving Houston to tidy up the Toyota Center. Just like 29 other teams, the Rockets’ season ended on a loss, and nobody can argue that’s an enjoyable finale. A double digit lead evaporated into a double digit deficit in just a few scant minutes, slamming the door in the face of a near-historic run by the Rockets.

But now that the dust has cleared and the second round is upon the 8 teams left standing, The Rockets and their followers have a chance to take a deep breath and look at what lies ahead. With all expectations surpassed, all predictions shattered and a great many heads turned, this isn’t an ending for Houston. The Rockets have only closed the prologue of what promises to be a long and exciting story for this new era of the franchise.

As the playoffs continue in the coming weeks, Houston transitions into the second most exciting time of the year for this team: free agency. Somehow, despite being in every trade and signing conversation last summer, despite actually pulling off the biggest trades of both the off season and the trade deadline, the Rockets are still in position to have their most important free agency period in years. While it may simply be posturing and pretense, players like Dwight Howard have changed their tune on Houston, now citing it as a prime location, while previously avoiding the city at all costs. With New York, Los Angeles, and Miami sporting five teams overflowing with team salary, the markets that free agents flock to are unavailable. The two biggest markets with room to spare are both in Texas, and for the first time in ages, Houston actually looks closer to a championship than Dallas.

Of course, having James Harden, dream team 2012 member doesn't hurt either. He’s openly stated that he’s going to be stumping for Houston this summer, and it won’t be surprising if someone listens. The Lakers and Clippers sport the two biggest names on the market this summer in Dwight Howard and Chris Paul respectively. Neither team performed any better than the Rockets did, both losing out convincingly in the first round of the playoffs. While the chances (and money) suggest that both will remain with their teams, seeing Harden, Parsons, Lin, Aşık and (impressively) Beverley push the Thunder can only help Houston’s case.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey finally has that first star in Harden, and it’s only going to make him more bold. Don’t be surprised to see a blockbuster signing or a blockbuster trade bring a big name to Harden’s side. And even after any giant transactions, this is the time of year when Morey rewards the hardcore hoopheads with endless small, smart trades. Morey’s penchant for bench tweaks and savvy drafting should provide intrigue over a long, hot summer. Don’t cry for any fan favorite players Houston might lose; Rockets management always finds a way to bring in a new unsung hero to the fold.

And once the sawdust and debris are cleared out this summer, there will be an even newer, even better Rockets team ready to take the stage in coming years. With no moves at all, this team and its young core can only improve, and Houston won’t make any moves that won’t improve the team. The Rockets are ahead of schedule, and ready to start shooting for the stars immediately. The Thunder didn't end the Rockets in game 6. They just gave them an opportunity to really get started.

#2 goRockets

goRockets

• Members
    • Pip
    • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

I know Rockets really wanted to avoid playing OKC in the first round, but perhaps having played them was the best thing that could have happened for this team. Going against the best in the west and taking them to 6 games in a pretty competitive series gave the Rockets a ton of confidence. Going forward, I think this team now believes they can beat anyone, and they are still so young, sky is the limit!

#3 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 1,326 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

while I love the way morey has positioned us this off season.....there is much work to do. this is my plan for the summer. I know most here don't believe we have a chance to lure D-12 away from LA...........I do. I hear a lot of the media talking about how D-12 should stay and how no one can resist LA, but I don't hear D-12. morey will have his shot to convince D-12 what a great fit Houston is. I think D-12 is unhappy in LA. he doesn't like the coach or the system he runs.... has been off and on feuding with both kobe and nash and must realize the lakers are old and washed up. what kobe will come back as may not look like the kobe of old. even if he stays it will be at least 3 years b4 they are in position to contend even if they catch a couple of lucky breaks. we are young with pieces already in place. he can contend starting next year.........that's our argument. once the lakers realize D-12 will sign with us and they will get nothing :rolleyes: we can do a sign and trade with them and ship lin to LA. that gets us under the cap without having to loose anything. then ship t-rob and Garcia to the clippers for Bledsoe after they sign cp3. as a fall back plan we could always pickup calderon. that leaves us looking like this

PG: Bledsoe(calderon)/ bev

SG: harden/ Anderson

SF: parsons/delfino

PF: t-jones/ d-mo/ smith

C: D-12/ asik

you think it can"t happen? ...........remember you heard it hear first

#4 pharmag

pharmag

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 229 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

The prospect of adding D12 is so interesting.  However, I think before we just relegate Asik back to the bench, a look should be taken with D12 at PF position.  He was projected as a PF coming out of HS and apparently used to have a pretty good jumper.  Not saying he needs to step out and take a ton of jumper, but if he can be a threat from about 15 ft, then the D12/Asik front line would be a beast.  Then you could run line-ups like this (following the moves RBF mentioned):

PG Bledsoe (Calderon)/Bev

SG Harden/Anderson

SF  Parsons/Delfino

PF  D-12/T-Jones/Dmo

C    Asik/Smith

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 1,181 posts
        • LocationAustin

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

This would be stellar, but does anyone think the Clips won't get a better offer than T-Rob/garcia for Bledsoe?  If we can get Bledsoe for that then we HAVE to do it because that is robbery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users