Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Dan G : (02 May 2013 - 05:54 AM) Win or lose Friday night I can now rest easy knowing the Rockets didn't get swept and won two games to force a game 6. Any other wins is just icing on the cake.
@  rocketrick : (02 May 2013 - 05:30 AM) Toyota Center is going to be shaken off its foundation Friday Night!
@  ale11 : (02 May 2013 - 04:40 AM) The hacking doesn't work because you get the shooter in some kind of rhythm. Just like in shootarounds or practices, it's a lot easier to make those shots if you are continuously shooting the same thing
@  thejohnnygold : (02 May 2013 - 04:37 AM) kenny smith just described asik as having "soft hands"
@  ale11 : (02 May 2013 - 04:33 AM) Garcia = Durant stopper???? Nice surprise
@  ale11 : (02 May 2013 - 04:32 AM) I remember us hacking Tiago Splitter and he made us pay for it, just like Omer did today
@  pharmag : (02 May 2013 - 04:31 AM) Ya.  That really didn't work out for the Thunder like they planned.  Went to line 6 times and was 8-12
@  thejohnnygold : (02 May 2013 - 04:27 AM) 13-18 on ft's...I'll take that every day
@  miketheodio : (02 May 2013 - 04:26 AM) i agree. asik did pretty well imo.
@  thejohnnygold : (02 May 2013 - 04:25 AM) I love that McHale kept Asik in the game and didn't try to hide him.  Great confidence booster for everybody
@  miketheodio : (02 May 2013 - 04:24 AM) i was happy with getting one win. this is great.
@  LMAOwais : (02 May 2013 - 04:24 AM) i'm not going to be able to sleep for a bit now. wooo! Great game.
@  feelingsuper... : (02 May 2013 - 04:23 AM) Rockets! Rockets! Rockets!
@  thejohnnygold : (02 May 2013 - 04:22 AM) I'm trying not to think about that part
@  LMAOwais : (02 May 2013 - 04:22 AM) Black Jesus is on TV right now!!!
@  thejohnnygold : (02 May 2013 - 04:21 AM) Kudos to Harden.  Helluva game!
@  pharmag : (02 May 2013 - 04:21 AM) That is the only reason it hurts
@  pharmag : (02 May 2013 - 04:21 AM) Oh I agree...but if you hang on to 1 of them, you have a 3-2 lead going home
@  thejohnnygold : (02 May 2013 - 04:21 AM) It's true, but games two and three are part of the learning curve that led to the last two wins
@  pharmag : (02 May 2013 - 04:19 AM) This makes games 2 and 3 hurt...

Photo

Postgame thoughts on Game 4

42 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

New post: Postgame thoughts on Game 4
    By: rahat huq

• First, the bad: those last three plays to close out regulation, where Harden, true to form, ISOed his man before stepping back for a jumper were despicable.  At this point, I don't even know what to say.  You know it's coming.  If the game is close, the Rockets are going to ISO Harden.  Luckily tonight, they were able to overcome but they won't, and haven't been, that lucky.  The funny thing is, after hearing Kevin McHale in the postgame presser, it's become clear that that's the play they're calling!  I don't even have any words!  He said, paraphrased, when asked about those possessions, that he was hoping Harden would be able to get into the paint.  Essentially, Kevin McHale's objection to those possessions was simply the end result!  dljfakj948934oqj3l4jl#$#$!!!!  It's funny because there was a belief that McHale actually wanted the team to move the ball in these possessions, stemming from his statements about the ball "becoming sticky," and that Harden was going off-cue against his coach's wishes.  But it's become clear that McHale is actually calling for these ISOs.  I don't know what to say.  Okay, enough negativity.

• Can you say, "coming out party"?  Chandler Parsons had the game of his life, but it wasn't just the point total but the manner in which he was scoring the baskets.  The guy was actually squaring his man up and taking him off the dribble and scoring after fakes in the lane.  This is really quite the development as I never would have guessed he'd have that in his skillset after watching him last year.

• I don't know what was more surprising: the fact that Steve Francis is still alive--he was introduced to the crowd at halftime--or the Delfino dunk over Durant.  As someone on my timeline said, shortly after, that Delfino dunk was like going to some other planet and discovering that they have pictures of dogs on their money.

• As someone else on my timeline said, Aaron Brooks was Patrick Beverley before it was cool.

• I loved Kevin McHale's comments in the postgame (other than about the ISOs): he talked about wanting his team to feel that first win, and to feel the difficulty of facing an opponent trying to close them out.  And that's really the beauty of all of this.  That these guys are learning and growing.  They'll build on this next year.  It's beautiful.

• I seriously can't believe they ran three straight ISOs to close out the game.  I can't believe it.  I'm speechless.  Ok, I'm done on that, I promise.

• Who predicted that Francisco Garcia would've ended up the biggest contributor (or the only contributor) from the Patterson trade?  The sad part is that both he and Delfino are gone next year.  Those two have really been an entertaining duo to watch...mainly because they're the same person.

• No in seriousness, Garcia's defense on Durant has been as unexpected a Delfino's dunk.  Who knew he had this in him?  On the final play, where Durant had to kick it out, Garcia defended Durant as well as is humanly possible.  The great thing here is that now, along with Parons, Kevin McHale always has a fresh capable defender to throw at the Thunder forward.

• The most underrated plotline here is that Patrick Beverley is now returning to Oklahoma City.  Hopefully with some form of security.

• This might have been one of the worst officiated games I can remember in recent history.  Some of those calls were absolutely indefensible.

• Don't you just feel like there's a chance this could get interesting?

#2 miketheodio

miketheodio

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 84 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:58 AM

the ability to execute in close games is concerning. i guess that's all inexperience, just wish there was some improvement shown in that area during the season (iso's and mchale). i hope the rockets find a way to hold on to chandler parsons. i also hope harden isn't so reliant on foul calls next season. depends on the ref whistle too much. he needs to actually try to get the ball in the basket in addition to creating contact.

#3 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 110 posts
      • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

I agree with you Rahat - the ISOs that end with the hero jack have GOT to stop.  After listening to McHale, though, I'm wondering if he knows that this is something Harden needs to learn through direct experience?  Ergo - if you need a point, get to the paint.

Has Garcia played his way into a new contract with us?  I think maybe he has.  I've been pleasantly surprised by Delfino's play this year, but I'm starting to think maybe we keep Garcia over him, if the choice had to be made.  I could see both back, though.  Depending on who we can lure into town.

Brooks just needs a bit more time with the guys to shake off all that rust.  I think that's a good comparison - Brooks as a pre-Beverley.  BTW - how bad is that elbow cut on Bev's brow?  He's had the bandage for 2 weeks!  Unless it's a Nelly thing?  He IS starting to heat up...  :)

Will Lin be back for G5?

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 1,151 posts
      • LocationAustin

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

I'm sold on Garcia--actually have been for a while, but that $6.4M contract is rough.  Is he worth it?  Maybe.....he does so much more than Delfino....twice as much?  Yes, actually...he does.  He is more consistent shooting, defends better, and brings a tough guy edge to the team versus Delfino's pretty boy charm...or whatever that is....

Say, we can somehow get Josh Smith for around $14M and bring Garcia back that gets us into some serious defensive line-ups that still pack punch.  Harden at point, with garcia, parsons, smith, and asik....oh yeah.  The money would be tight on this one....if we go with Millsap it works better...although, I like it a little less.

#5 pharmag

pharmag

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 221 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Personally, I don't have an issue with end game isolations.  It is hard to run our offense and the clock at the same time.  I honestly think that is why lots of teams do it.  

In an offense predicated on ball movement without a big man you can throw it into at 8 seconds and let him work, it is all about taking the first open shot.  If that happens with 18 seconds left, then enough time isn't taken off the clock.  However, at the same time, most teams are keyed in defensively and are going to make it difficult, increasing the likelihood you never get an open shot and are heaving a prayer (or shot clock violation).  Therefore, spread it out and let your best guy off the dribble take his man makes some sense.

All that being said, Harden has to learn how isolations work.  He pretty much either drives helter-skelter into lane looking for a foul and not the shot, or he puts up a step-back jumper (which isn't really in his arsenal yet).  Just cause he is in isolation doesn't mean he has to take the last shot.  Taking it in at 8, draw the weakside defender on help and kick it to the 3 point shooter is a much better shot than some of the stuff he takes.  I think this is all meant to let him learn, both himself and how to play with this team in end-game situations.

#6 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 110 posts
        • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Completely agree, pharmag.  Harden needs to learn to drive and kick, and NOT keep kicking his head back hoping for the foul.  It's been 4 games - has he NOT learned that they aren't going to call that much anymore (sans blatant slaps)?  Adding the kick to his arsenal will make it easier to get to the rim, as well - folks will become loathe to help away from our shooters.

Also, as a team, we need to keep track of the game pulse.  Asik was have a hella good time with O-Boards.  Drive a bit earlier, get he shot off, and let Omer work!

We have Garcia's Bird Rights, yes?  I think we should find a way to fit him.  Plus, as the village elder, perhaps all he needs is respect, not cash.  Unlikely, but still...  

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 1,151 posts
        • LocationAustin

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Speaking of game pulse, did anyone else think Chandler Parsons should have had the ball the last three or so possessions to close out the game? 

#8 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
        • 399 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

New post: And so we live to see another day

• It's extremely difficult to not get greedy and push from one's mind the thought that the Rockets could, nay, should, be up 3-1 right now.  On the flip side, given their late-game execution, they are extremely lucky to have not gotten swept.  They shouldn't have won last night.  Running three consecutive ISOs to close the game, they escaped by the skin of their teeth last night with a victory.  What scares me is that I don't think they, or their coach, realize how lucky they got.  As I explained last night, initially after the debacle against the Lakers, I had blamed McHale for this complete breakdown in late game situations, thinking he was calling for the ISOs.  Then, after Games 2 and 3, after hearing his comments about needing to move the ball, I speculated that the blame should probably be cast upon Harden and that he was ignoring his coach.  But McHale's postgame comments last night seemed to confirm my initial fears.  When asked about the possessions, he expressed dismay that Harden didn't drive the ball and get into the paint.  He didn't express dismay over the lack of a pick or the lack of any semblance of a play - he expressed dismay over the result of the ISO.  This revelation is so, so disturbing that it almost takes away from the enjoyment and relief of winning simply because it's an explication of the inevitable.  Sure, the Rockets will probably get this fixed out in the offseason once Morey gets involved.  But for now, you see the writing on the wall: they escaped alive, but this is how it will end; at some point, unless they're blown out, the Rockets' season will be over because they'll revert to Hero-ball at the end of the game.  They won't fix it because it's by design.

• It just completely defies all logic.  Your offense is rolling, destroying one of the top ranked defenses in the league.  The ball is hopping, Garcia and Delfino are en fuego, pun intended, Asik is cleaning the glass and Parsons is driving at will.  So what do you do once the clock hits inside two minutes?  Naturally, the complete opposite.  It just makes zero sense by any sense of rationale.  In what world is a contested stepback jumper, even from your best player, a higher percentage option than a repetition of what you had been doing to build a lead?

• I almost think they do it because they expect it.  They think that that's just what's supposed to happen at the end of the game.  You know how there are always certain things in sports which defy logic but are done because they are so engrained into the collective conscience?  Like sliding to first-base when it doesn't get you there any faster than running.  I think this is an example of that.  But what's troubling is the coach's endorsement of it.

• I'm getting depressed thinking that we may soon be seeing the last games of Carlos Delfino and Francisco Garcia in Rockets uniforms.  Garcia, for sure, unless he takes a significant pay-cut, will be headed elsewhere, while the odds on Delfino returning too are not so great if the team hopes to make a big acquisition.  They've been fun and it's funny because this happens almost every season.  Fans fall in love with role players and get emotionally attached, wondering if the team will resign them.  Then the team lets them go and the next batch of lovable Rockets comes in.  From Ron Artest to Hayes to Courtney Lee to Delfino and Garcia.  It's a cycle that won't stop until the foundation is in place.  What I mean is that right now, because the Rockets have yet to add that second star, flexibility is their main concern.  They can't tie themselves down by extending role players.  But once they have that core in place--in example, if they sign Dwight Howard this summer--I think you'll then see them resign fringe guys for the sake of chemistry and continuity.  I have way more thoughts on this topic but I'll save those for another day.

• Aaron Brooks came in last night and brought back memories of 2009, hitting a '3' from about 25 feet away with Derek Fisher right in his face.  He then proceeded to bring back even more memories by turning the ball over and shooting...and shooting...until he was pulled.  Has anyone in the history of basketball ever gotten back from China with a more misplaced sense of confidence?  I kid.  While there have been mixed results, AB has been a godsend just simply in the fact that he's a weapon.  You have to have guys who have to be accounted for in the playoffs.  It's as simple as that.

• When you watch Omer Asik on the offensive end you feel like a proud father in some extended analogy which is escaping me.  The guy is literally playing his ass off to the point of exhaustion.  While looking so, so, so ugly doing it.  The predictable play where he bobbles a pass and then trips over himself trying to recover it leaves you just shaking your head thinking, "God bless you, Omer.  God bless you."  That guy is going to keep fighting but by God, I would walk the whole yellow brick road myself if it meant convincing the Wizard to give that man some hands.

• Omer Asik is the most underrated player in basketball; he's one of the best value contracts in the league; he might be the most valuable player on the Rockets.

• I'm just so glad we didn't get swept.  Losing in 5 or 6 is just so much more dignified than going out by way of the broom.  But maybe even better is the nuisance value of making the Thunder have to go back for an extra flight.  You just can't roll over and let people know a team disposed of you in 4 games.  At this point, I'm not expecting the Rockets to win this series, but I want that nuisance value of making the Thunder--of making Derek Fisher--travel for an extra game.  That's my small victory, damnit.

• I want Dwight Howard to watch this series and think, "Hmmm.  They could really have something with me in that lineup."  That doesn't mean getting rid of Asik.  I'd keep him too.  But that's what this is about now.  Making yourself more attractive.  And by extending this thing, the Rockets have done that.

#9 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 173 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Since our record decided in OT and with less than 3 points are shit which I would attribute to that we can't finish the game and 95% of the times Harden has been taking the shot whether he is hot or cold, he is not there yet. I don't mind having Harden figure it out, but he already had game 2 and 3 to do it and he couldn't. Playoffs are too important to waste, imaginge if we won one of those games it would have been 2-2 series with Westbrook out. Last night he was awful again, so I believe you go with the hot hand. If not at least attack the paint and drive and kick or try to make something happen instead of just waiting outside and the throw up a 3. Parsons should have at least had one of those 3 possesions.

#10 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 173 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Agree Rahat on all of your points.

#11 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 1,350 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

No one really talks about clutch defense unless there was a block or steal or something tangible, but Asik's defense was definitely clutch last night to me. 

“Every [player] decision has two main components, the scouting or traditional analysis and the numbers … depending on the situation, you weight them differently.” - Daryl Morey

Small sample sizes exaggerate effects. 

Do not read statistics as gospel. Statistics provides tools that you need in order to react intelligently to information you hear or see.

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 1,151 posts
              • LocationAustin

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

No one really talks about clutch defense unless there was a block or steal or something tangible, but Asik's defense was definitely clutch last night to me. 

This is an understatement.

#13 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 110 posts
              • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

This is an understatement.

That is an overstatement.  :)

And I agree with you, JG - Parsons *should* have gotten 1 or 2 of those last 3 possessions.  He was cutting the hell outta them all game.

I don't mind the ISO if a couple of things happen first.  Move the ball, get some picks, and ISO into the matchup you want.  Then have a PLAN - the guy is smaller, so I can get a shot over him.  The guy is bigger, so drive around.  They double up, so kick it.  They didn't get a matchup, and Harden ad-libbed to hero ball.  And yes - everyone knew what was happening, and his shot was off all night - except when he went to the rim.

Sigh.  So lucky.

#14 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 385 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

New post: Postgame thoughts on Game 4

• First, the bad: those last three plays to close out regulation, where Harden, true to form, ISOed his man before stepping back for a jumper were despicable.  At this point, I don't even know what to say.  You know it's coming.  If the game is close, the Rockets are going to ISO Harden.  Luckily tonight, they were able to overcome but they won't, and haven't been, that lucky.  The funny thing is, after hearing Kevin McHale in the postgame presser, it's become clear that that's the play they're calling!  I don't even have any words!  He said, paraphrased, when asked about those possessions, that he was hoping Harden would be able to get into the paint.  Essentially, Kevin McHale's objection to those possessions was simply the end result!  dljfakj948934oqj3l4jl#$#$!!!!  It's funny because there was a belief that McHale actually wanted the team to move the ball in these possessions, stemming from his statements about the ball "becoming sticky," and that Harden was going off-cue against his coach's wishes.  But it's become clear that McHale is actually calling for these ISOs.  I don't know what to say.  Okay, enough negativity.
                • I seriously can't believe they ran three straight ISOs to close out the game.  I can't believe it.  I'm speechless.  Ok, I'm done on that, I promise.
                Coach McHale's word for word quote as reported by Feigen and the Houston Chronicle:

"We wanted to attack the paint. We set up a play where I thought we had an overload situation where we could drive quick and kick out. The jump shots at the end are all-or-nothing shots. We've got to get that thing in the paint"

My analysis on the Harden iso's at the end of the game is that the goal is to try and get a higher percentage shot in the lane. Obviously, Harden has the ball in his hands and he becomes the ultimate decision-maker. OKC is smart enough to know that the Rockets and Harden want to penetrate the lane and get a higher percentage shot. When Harden made his move, it's true he probably could have kicked out to an open man. However, he created an opening for a closer in shot by making that sweet move to get around his defender and had basically an open look at the bucket. Yes, it was one of his step back, shoot off one foot jumpers, but when he's that open, some of those shots are going to fall.

I'm not really sure what the issue is with Harden's iso's at the end of the game. Most other teams in the NBA go to an iso in this situation. Plus it's much better strategy to shorten the game when you have the lead.

Those that wanted the Rockets to go 2 for 1 in the final 35 seconds are crazy in my opinion especially knowing Durant is on the opposing team. Don't you remember what that dude did to us in game 3? If the Rockets had gone 2 for 1, OKC would have the benefit of an entire shot clock and somehow or another would have gotten the ball into Durant's hands. As it turned out, they only had 12 seconds left after Harden's iso and with Garcia's stellar defense on Durant at the end of the game that (1) resulted in Durant passing the ball to Jackson near half court and (2) Garcia denying a pass back from Jackson to Durant. Tick, tick, tick all of us know what happened at the end and thankfully Ibaka missed a wide open putback shot at the bucket Which by the way, if you go back and review that play, you will clearly see that Ibaka pushes Chandler Parsons away with his legs which is why Parsons was flying the opposite direction at the moment Ibaka had the putback opportunity.

#15 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 1,151 posts
                • LocationAustin

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

I'm with ya--the only thing i would have changed is to let parsons go for the last shot...he was playing great.

#16 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

I'm not opposed to having the ball in Harden's hands - it should be in his hands.  I'm just advocating that a play be run.  Set him a pick, bring him off a screen, something.  It's naive to think that a good look will be generated if he's just dribbling up top on his own.  It's natural he's going to just chuck it because if there's no movement, if he drives, obviously the lane is going to get clogged with help defenders.  

Why not just bring him off a curl so that he has the ball closer to the hoop?  Why not run a pick and roll with him and Parsons?  Any of these options either a) put Harden in a better position to score or B) get the other players in motion, distracting the defense.  

#17 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 385 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'm not opposed to having the ball in Harden's hands - it should be in his hands.  I'm just advocating that a play be run.  Set him a pick, bring him off a screen, something.  It's naive to think that a good look will be generated if he's just dribbling up top on his own.  It's natural he's going to just chuck it because if there's no movement, if he drives, obviously the lane is going to get clogged with help defenders.  

Why not just bring him off a curl so that he has the ball closer to the hoop?  Why not run a pick and roll with him and Parsons?  Any of these options either a) put Harden in a better position to score or B) get the other players in motion, distracting the defense.

#1 goal in these situations is usually to shorten the game. How does a team perfectly time the pick and roll offense while at the same time run the clock down as far as possible?

#2 goal is to have less defensive players clogging the lane. By setting a pick at the top of the circle, free throw line, etc. means there is going to be another defensive player to deal with. More traffic at the end of the game is very likely going to result in a less than stellar shot (probably contested) in most cases no matter how well the players try to run pick and roll at that time in the game.

#3 goal is to try and goad the defensive team into double teaming Harden to force the ball out of his hands. However, lately nobody has been forcing the ball from Harden's hands.

Last point is if pick and roll or pick and pop, etc. always works, then why does every team in the league go iso in the late stages of games? Because it is likely less risky, less turnover prone and more likely to result in an uncontested shot.

But the bottom line is in all of this, RUN TIME OFF THE CLOCK, SHORTEN THE GAME!!

#3 goal is

#18 teko

teko

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 32 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Coach McHale's word for word quote as reported by Feigen and the Houston Chronicle:

"We wanted to attack the paint. We set up a play where I thought we had an overload situation where we could drive quick and kick out. The jump shots at the end are all-or-nothing shots. We've got to get that thing in the paint"

My analysis on the Harden iso's at the end of the game is that the goal is to try and get a higher percentage shot in the lane. Obviously, Harden has the ball in his hands and he becomes the ultimate decision-maker. OKC is smart enough to know that the Rockets and Harden want to penetrate the lane and get a higher percentage shot. When Harden made his move, it's true he probably could have kicked out to an open man. However, he created an opening for a closer in shot by making that sweet move to get around his defender and had basically an open look at the bucket. Yes, it was one of his step back, shoot off one foot jumpers, but when he's that open, some of those shots are going to fall.

I'm not really sure what the issue is with Harden's iso's at the end of the game. Most other teams in the NBA go to an iso in this situation. Plus it's much better strategy to shorten the game when you have the lead.

Those that wanted the Rockets to go 2 for 1 in the final 35 seconds are crazy in my opinion especially knowing Durant is on the opposing team. Don't you remember what that dude did to us in game 3? If the Rockets had gone 2 for 1, OKC would have the benefit of an entire shot clock and somehow or another would have gotten the ball into Durant's hands. As it turned out, they only had 12 seconds left after Harden's iso and with Garcia's stellar defense on Durant at the end of the game that (1) resulted in Durant passing the ball to Jackson near half court and (2) Garcia denying a pass back from Jackson to Durant. Tick, tick, tick all of us know what happened at the end and thankfully Ibaka missed a wide open putback shot at the bucket Which by the way, if you go back and review that play, you will clearly see that Ibaka pushes Chandler Parsons away with his legs which is why Parsons was flying the opposite direction at the moment Ibaka had the putback opportunity.

I don't get why Harden should have the ball. He had low FG% (but, that's his normal performance in the past two months) and 7 TOs prior to his re-entering the game in the 4th last night. He immediately lost the ball 3 more times and went back to the bench, with total of 10 TOs.

What that tells us is that he didn't have the sense of ball playing last night. When you lost the sense that day you lost the sense that day. But McHale had him back in, isoed the ball and missed the final 3 jump shots.

7:37 90-97     James Harden enters the game
                      7:16 90-98     James Harden lost ball turnover (Kevin Martin steals)
                      6:52 92-98     James Harden offensive foul (Derek Fisher draws the foul)
                      6:52 92-98     James Harden turnover
                      6:52 92-98     James Harden goes to bench

3:15 98-104 James Harden enters the game
                      1:23 101-105 James Harden misses 26-foot three point jumper
                      0:54 103-105 James Harden misses 24-foot three point jumper
                      0:12 103-105 James Harden misses 20-foot step back jumpshot

Rockets have been gaining the points until Harden's re-entering to seal Rockets' offense. 

I have no problem for Harden to iso the ball IF HE CAN KEEP UP AT LEAST SOME PERFORMANCE. In fact I don't mind anyone iso the ball if he is capable of carrying the load.

But NONE should have been given such a heavy load at crucial time when he doesn't have the sense that day.

This pattern, in fact, has been repeating so many times especially in the late season. We see from the stat that Harden's shooting efficiency has been going down and kept at his low end in the past two months. But, still, the coach still give rely the iso of a low-FG% player to close the game. I don't know how many games we lost because of that. 

#19 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                      • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...k-espn-magazine

#20 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                        • 1,066 posts