Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  2016Champions : (28 April 2013 - 04:49 AM) McHale says he was trying to get officials' attention to call timeout after KD 3. When turnover ensued, did NOT want team to foul.
@  pharmag : (28 April 2013 - 04:33 AM) Lin probably should have sat the whole game...however he didn't and then Bev got into foul trouble early and it was either see what Lin can do or play Aaron Brooks.  Used to like Brooks, but he isn't the player from his MIP year and he is a huge liability on defense.
@  miketheodio : (28 April 2013 - 04:33 AM) frustrating team to be a fan of.
@  thenit : (28 April 2013 - 04:32 AM) Heartbroken, going to cry myself to slep now :(
@  thenit : (28 April 2013 - 04:31 AM) If I was Mchale watching Lin wince every shoot he took in the warmup, I would just had said I'm sitting you, because there is no way a player will say coach i can't play
@  thenit : (28 April 2013 - 04:30 AM) we are notoriously slow starters.
@  thenit : (28 April 2013 - 04:30 AM) I have critized Mchale for not lettng Lin play enough and tonight when I didn't want Lin to play he plays him lol
@  pharmag : (28 April 2013 - 04:30 AM) One of the biggest things with this team is they don't come out swinging (especially on defense).  They wait until they take a few sharp jabs to the jaw.  As long as their shots are falling it doesn't hurt them to bad, but when they aren't, it leads to the 20 point holes they have to dig out of...
@  thenit : (28 April 2013 - 04:28 AM) were u at the game bboley?
@  thenit : (28 April 2013 - 04:28 AM) if they would have wanted to foul they would have done it earlier, not wait until its 8 on the shot clock
@  bboley24 : (28 April 2013 - 04:27 AM) "To play us out, what does that mean to play us out?  There are no words!"

-Bill Oreilly
@  thenit : (28 April 2013 - 04:27 AM) Yea I know just hard to take when its back to back, you fight your way back and then you can't setup a good play
@  pharmag : (28 April 2013 - 04:27 AM) 2016 he didn't.  It was obvious he was annoyed...
@  thenit : (28 April 2013 - 04:26 AM) why were u watching on laptop ? its on espn
@  pharmag : (28 April 2013 - 04:26 AM) That is actually a very good play during the course of the game.  It was only a bad play because the Thunder knew the 3 was coming.  Without the threat of the weakside drive once Delfino receives ball, it is easy to guard.  However, youth will learn (and hopefully coach will too)
@  2016Champions : (28 April 2013 - 04:26 AM) pretty sure McHale didn't want a foul there
@  thenit : (28 April 2013 - 04:26 AM) so damn pissed and proud of the team
@  2016Champions : (28 April 2013 - 04:26 AM) oh I missed it, my laptop crashed after the Garcia foul on Fisher
@  thenit : (28 April 2013 - 04:25 AM) the 3 guys who kept us in the game killed us at the end. Garcia with the foul, Parson and Harden with the turnovers when we had the lead
@  thenit : (28 April 2013 - 04:24 AM) yea I agree there. the last play was bad, MCHALE should draw a better play than that. Thats twice now

Photo

If going small...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:35 AM

New post: If going small...
    By: rahat huq

Expect a ton of smallball this series.  1) Because that's what the Rockets do and 2) because the Thunder don't have any lowpost threats, you can't get punished at the other end.

I began wondering which of the team's smallball lineups had been the most effective.

In the 205 minutes the team has trotted out the quintet of Harden, Parsons, Asik, Delfino, and Lin, the unit has produced 1.126 PPP while shooting 46.8% from the field.

Replace Lin with Beverley and in those 42 minutes, PPP increases to 1.210 but shooting drops to 42.9%.

I then wondered how the team had fared with both Lin and Beverley in the game, next to Harden, Asik, and Parsons.  To my surprise, that group hasn't played a single minute together.

The only other viable smallball possibilities see Garcia replacing Delfino (2 minutes, 1.00 PPP, 25% FG if with Beverley, 6 minutes, 1.00 PPP, 50% FG if with Lin) with either Beverley or Lin at the point.

In theory, I'm a big fan of playing Garcia in tandem with Delfino, but in the 130 minutes those two have shared the court, the team has shot just 44% overall, scoring 1.079 PPP.  Ironically though, they've held their opponent to 42% shooting and .890 PPP.

To win, the Rockets have to introduce randomness into the equation.  In theory, the ideal then would be, rather than playing smallball going big and feeding Greg Smith and Donatas Motiejunas in the post.  Why?  Because playing small is what the Thunder do best and the Rockets can't possibly hope to beat them at their own game.  Unfortunately, I don't see either of these two young players being ready to contribute in a big way.

If I were the coach, I would try some stretches with Lin, Beverley, Harden, Parsons, and Asik.  That keeps Lin in the game for scoring but also keeps Beverley to harass Westbrook.

The NBA playoffs are all about matchups.  In 2005, Houston stole the advantage over Dallas by shockingly inserting Ryan Bowen into the starting lineup in place of a conventional power forward.  Bowen and McGrady were able to use their quickness to keep Dirk Nowitzki in check.  When the series went back to Houston, Dallas countered by going small, reducing the minutes of Shawn Bradley and Keith Van Horn, and increasing the roles of players like Marquis Daniels and Devin Harris.  The Mavs didn't look back.

To have a chance, Houston will have to get creative and try new things.  Hopefully, they'll make good use of Beverley and his abilities.

#2 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 361 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:41 AM

And 3. Because all of our PFs stink (which is why we need Josh Smith)

#3 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 595 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:50 AM

And 3. Because all of our PFs stink (which is why we need Josh Smith)

The horse is dead already stop beating it.

#4 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 361 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:02 AM

The horse is dead already stop beating it.

The "horse" (aka Josh Smith) will be a Rockets next season. Maybe I'll buy you one of his jerseys. Lol

#5 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
          • 783 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:19 AM

I have to say I am kind of shocked that lineup has never been out on the court. I have to think about this...

The 2013 Red94 Fantasy Basketball League Champion

#6 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Moderators
          • 336 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:34 AM

I was actually thinking about that line-up today.  There aren't many teams they can do that against.  Off the top of my head I'm thinking GS and MIL.  Lin or Beverly are not big or strong enough to guard 2s. They could only do that against other teams that play 2 PG at the same time for a lot of minutes.  There are a few more teams that do that semi-regularly, but not as frequently.

For this series, we can't counter their small ball line-up with a big line-up because who is our 4 going to guard. KD? Martin?  Maybe if the Thunder went Westbrook, Martin, Thabo, KD, Ibaka Jones could guard Thabo.  But I don't think he could guard Thabo, just the best chance.  When the SF you are putting at PF is KD you have to guard him with another SF unless your team has (and I don't want to open a can of worms on this post) a Josh Smith type PF.  A PF who really is a SF.

#7 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 1,276 posts
            • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

Thunder's defensive weakness is that Ibaka pooly defends shooters, so if we still had Patterson of if we get Millsap then we would have a chance.

"Someone created the box score, and he should be shot" - Daryl Morey

“Every [player] decision has two main components, the scouting or traditional analysis and the numbers … depending on the situation, you weight them differently.” - Daryl Morey

Friendly reminders:

Small sample sizes exaggerate effects. 

Do not read statistics as gospel. Statistics provides tools that you need in order to react intelligently to information you hear or see.

#8 Stephen

Stephen

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 254 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:55 AM

OKC has been playing their 2 PGs quite a bit recently.

I'd expect OKC to have Sefolosha in whenever Harden is on the court.

If McHale runs out his standard small ball unit of Lin,Harden,Parsons,Delfino and random big(Asik,Smith,most likely Jones),I'd expect Brooks to run out Westbrook,Martin,Sefalosha,Durant,Ibaka. Probably Parsons on Westbrook,Lin on Martin,Harden on Sefolosha,Delfino on Durant and Big on Ibaka. Makes for some interesting cross-matches as I'd expect OKC to have Durant on Parsons and Martin on Delfino.  

As for Rockets second unit,the last couple of games had Parsons running the offense w/that group-fairly successfully.

Parsons stepping up w/second unit allows McHale to play his two experienced players in Delfino and Garcia in a smallball second unit w/Jones.

#9 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 1,276 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:02 AM

I think part of the reason Thunder have been playing Ibaka center alot is because he is bad at closing out on shooters, and he doesn't have to do that as much at center as he does at PF. But if we play Greg Smith and Terrence Jones at PF then that won't be a problem for them, not unless we play Delfino at the 4.

"Someone created the box score, and he should be shot" - Daryl Morey

“Every [player] decision has two main components, the scouting or traditional analysis and the numbers … depending on the situation, you weight them differently.” - Daryl Morey

Friendly reminders:

Small sample sizes exaggerate effects. 

Do not read statistics as gospel. Statistics provides tools that you need in order to react intelligently to information you hear or see.

#10 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Moderators
              • 336 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

If they go small we have to.

#11 Richards

Richards

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 138 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

We saw time and time again that our coaches had no creativity. But after reading interesting Q&A with Morey, I thought we might see something different. It seems Morey is giving input. He is the only on Coaches listen to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users