Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  RollingWave : (19 June 2013 - 05:12 AM) so the head band is like a final power seal for Lebron, only open in absolute need
@  BenQueens : (19 June 2013 - 03:51 AM) Ray Allen, why not. This is going to be 5.2 intense seconds of ball.
@  BenQueens : (19 June 2013 - 03:39 AM) Holy crap, that Parker 3.
@  BenQueens : (19 June 2013 - 03:38 AM) Please let there be a game 7, and let this be the margin in the 4Q of 7. Awesome.
@  RollingWave : (19 June 2013 - 03:18 AM) oh my, this is an epic game .. one more run by Duncan should....
@  2016Champions : (17 June 2013 - 05:26 AM) I had a feeling Ginobili would regress to the mean.
@  Dan G : (17 June 2013 - 04:33 AM) Now I had no idea Ginobli was gonna pull a Wade and turn back the clock. I give Pop the majority of the credit for that.
@  Dan G : (17 June 2013 - 04:32 AM) I don't think it was too ballsy on San Antonio's part. With the way Splitter has been playing and since Miami has started Miller the last two games, I thought it was inevitable that Ginobli would start.
@  RollingWave : (17 June 2013 - 02:57 AM) I must say that both team had some serious ballsy lineup changes this series, Ginobilli start? and dominate?
@  2016Champions : (16 June 2013 - 09:26 PM) According to Dr. Klapper, treatment for Parker's hamstring will only last one half. Lateral movement and jumping will be a problem.
@  2016Champions : (16 June 2013 - 04:56 AM) Parker said Pop was very angry with him for the constant nagging insisting he can play, Pop really didn't want Parker to play. Just goes to show Pop knows best.
@  RollingWave : (16 June 2013 - 04:28 AM) Parker says his hamstring is almost shot , that would probably doom the Spurs if he can't play at least 80%
@  2016Champions : (15 June 2013 - 12:38 AM) Miami is 6-0 in playoffs following losses (outscoring opponents by 20.7 PPG in those games). They've won 12 straight games following losses.
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:50 PM) The Heat are notoriously slow starters. Once they get going it's like a snowball effect, they get more dangerous as they go along.
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:49 PM) My heart says SA, but my mind says MIA
@  rocketrick : (14 June 2013 - 11:06 AM) Anybody else going to San Antone for Game 5??
@  RollingWave : (14 June 2013 - 10:15 AM) The Heat is doomed / the Spurs is doom , repeat until game 7
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 06:28 AM) Now that Wade's knee doesn't seem to be bothering him anymore, Spurs are in trouble.
@  rocketrick : (14 June 2013 - 06:26 AM) Mark Twain once was quoted--Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Not sure that motivates the Heat but food for thought for whatever that is worth!
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:43 AM) What happened to Parker that second half? Hamstring caught up to him?

Photo

The Rockets Daily - April 18, 2013

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 431 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

New post: The Rockets Daily - April 18, 2013
    By: John Eby

Reunited And It Feels So...Bleh - With the Rockets' infuriating frustrating heartbreaking inevitable overtime loss to the Lakers last night, Houston will face OKC in the first round, and L.A. will face the Spurs.

James Harden will face his old team in the soap opera that every sports writer has been hoping all year, and one of the most dangerous 7-seeds (L.A.) in recent memory will face one of the most vulnerable 2-seeds (San Antonio) in recent memory.

Lesson: Never bet against TV ratings when you're predicting playoff match-ups. Never.

Prognostication -  The blogosphere has begun breaking down Houston's playoff future (as we will do here in the coming days), and as Hoopchalk points out, the keys to the Rockets' offense are all the things they didn't do at the end of last night's game:

Quote:

Ball movement: Lin, Harden, Parsons, even Asik are all above-average to exceptional passers. Though they do look for the open three or to the rim in transition, and while Harden has the ultimate green light, the Rockets prefer move the ball from side to side, whipping it around the perimeter until they get a wide-open shot.
    The Dream Shake's excellent preview has even more on the Rockets' offensive foibles:

Quote:

First and foremost, the Rockets need to attack and be decisive with the ball. They're turning it over at an alarmingly high clip as a team. Our key performers (Shy of Chandler Parsons) are doing their part towards prevention but the Rockets really need to get a handle on the ball. The shot charts bear this out with relatively poor showings at the rim (Due to Ibaka's presence). The charts really bring to bear the fact the complaint about the Rockets failing to get decisive in the paint and panic passes in those situations. The remedy for this is simply to tell the team when you attack the rim you committed to attacking it. You're only to pass out if there's a wide-open three pointer and that's it.
    Tweet That - Zach Lowe was killing it with nuggets of knowledge on Twitter this morning:

[blackbirdpie url="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/324873402710106116"]

[blackbirdpie url="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/324863284366934017"]

[blackbirdpie url="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/324860688851927040"]

Oof - Zach Lowe was also killing it with his criticism of James Harden's defense in his Mega Like/Don't Like column:

Quote:

Harden is just one culprit, but as a perimeter player often stationed closest to midcourt of all Rockets in those precious seconds of offense-to-defense transition, his bad habits are especially damaging. Harden’s reactions are sometimes a fatal beat late, and he often gives up on the idea of retreating altogether, choosing instead to reach for steals as ball handlers fly by him or leap hopelessly at outlet passes jetting over his head. Those gambles aren’t always terrible; they can in some especially bad circumstances represent a smart last-ditch effort to disrupt an overwhelming fast break no other teammate has any hope of disrupting. But Harden and his teammates need to limit these lunging gambles to those hopeless circumstances, get their floor balance in order, and approach postseason transition defense with appropriate urgency.
    Got any sweet links or suggestions? Email them to [email protected] or message me on Twitter @EbyNews.

#2 sli

sli

• Members
    • Pip
    • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:21 AM

The weird thing is that post-game, McHale always lamented the ball getting "sticky" as if he were a helpless spectator. If in fact he saw what we see, why didn't he call a timeout and called for a play that showed us that he saw the mental trap Harden had fallen into? Never happened even once in the whole season, that we saw him fix a bad pattern Harden had gotten into.

#3 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 2,072 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

Or maybe the players don't know how to run plays? If he spent all season teaching them how to run plays we probably would have missed the playoffs, instead he gave everyone freedom in a fast paced free flowing offense that involves just driving and kicking until someone gets an open shot. Our simple offense worked when we had floor spacing, but stopped working after the Patterson trade which wasn't McHale's fault. 

Don't be too quick to assume you're right and the experts are wrong. 

"A fool who recognizes his own ignorance is thereby in fact a wise man, but a fool who considers himself wise -- that is what one really calls a fool." ~Gautama Buddha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users