Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Breaking: Rockets Acquire Thomas Robinson in Mulit-team Trade

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

I read it earlier, and it is hilarious.
    Heres the link: http://www.grantland...exchange-part-1

My favorite part is when he says NBA GMs just need to stop trading with Dork Elvis... Honestly if I worked with him and he wanted to trade staplers there is about a 0% chance I'm doing that trade. I bet advanced stats show my stapler has an elite staple completion rate.

#42 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

My favorite part is when he says NBA GMs just need to stop trading with Dork Elvis... Honestly if I worked with him and he wanted to trade staplers there is about a 0% chance I'm doing that trade. I bet advanced stats show my stapler has an elite staple completion rate.

He'd trade his plain black stapler for your red stapler and laptop.

#43 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,597 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Apparently it wasn't the Sacremento GM's fault. It was the Maloofs who wanted the trade done.

Why so Serious? :D

#44 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
      • 1,574 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

It is at least 60% Petrie's fault. If he was unable to sway them to trade off Salmons instead of Garcia(as mentioned in the Grantland story) he failed as a GM. Either way, Maloofs or Petrie, I'm thankful because it was a hell of a steal.

Lowe: You mean, the Suns getting a shooting power forward whose twin brother is on the team already, as a shooting power forward?

Simmons: Exactly! I think the Suns have officially hit rock bottom — they couldn't acquire a marquee player to get their fans excited this week, even though they were trying to overpay for everyone from Josh Smith to Iman Shumpert, so they went with Plan B. What was Plan B? TWINS! Who's up for seeing some twins! Anyone? These guys look exactly alike! And we're gonna play them at the same time! COME SEE THE TWINS!!!!!!!

is my favorite part, lol. I liked MM from when we drafted him(not so much when he was in Kansas beating up on my Longhorns...but whatever), and hate to see him stuck in PHX now. Hope he can continue to work hard, and elevate what we all believe was his ceiling.

#45 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

blakecouey:
        thanks for the link. this stuff is off the charts funny. that stapler comment above gave me a good laugh too.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#46 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
        • 1,574 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:27 AM

There is a part two as well(not dealing with the Rockets though). I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but here is the link: http://www.grantland...exchange-part-2

#47 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,008 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

There is a part two as well(not dealing with the Rockets though). I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but here is the link: http://www.grantland...exchange-part-2

Just as funny. Especially the Simmons 3:16 line.

#48 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 708 posts
            • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

I don't know much about Robinson, but from what you have all said about his abilities, I really like this trade. Why? Because he gives us options, another skillset to that position. Right now, there's a crescent tendency to play "small ball", so....advanced stats show that lineups that have Parsons playing the 4 are proficient, maybe the plan is to give him more minutes there. We already have D-Mo to play the "stretch 4" role, so we need a PF who can play defense and rebound when the game requires so. Options.
            We already have two and a half PG in Lin, Beverley and Harden, so we don't need a fake PG like Douglas to play off the ball with Harden. Beverley is a better ballhandler and more controled, even though I like Douglas' enormous amount of energy, he picks too many fouls, and I think they play similar level of defense.
            We all thought that we needed another 3-point shooter, and even though Garcia is not in the same level of Redick, this will have to do for now, and he also brings some experience. Probably he will thrive under our system, since he is definitely going to have better looks than what he could get in Sacramento.
            Aldrich was battling Smith for minutes and throughout the season, failed to get in the rotation, so "no love lost" there either

#49 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 373 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

The T-Rob trade brings to mind several interesting facets:

1: Morey and the coaching staff obviously felt that D-Mo was ready to take over the PF spot. Otherwise they would have kept MM. Look for D-Mo to start getting increasing minutes. It also means that his defense will soon be on par with PPats. Excellent!

2: T-Rob actually, IMHO, will become an excellent NBA starter. He has all of the tools: speed, serious hops, quickness, strong like bull, court awareness, and can shoot better than many give him credit for. He also probably will soon be another option for McHale and the coaching staff. It is a game of personnel match ups, and it never hurts to have a bruising athletic PF in your back pocket.

3: Is their another version of small ball coming? Instead of Asik/Parsons will we be seeing D-Mo/T-Rob? I would love to see it at the end of the season or early next year. That pairing could some day be deadly.

4: If the Rockets can get one really good PF and a good backup out of D-Mo, T-Rob and TJ where exactly would you use that max contract space? More options for Morey.

#50 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,134 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

I wanted to post this in response to today's daily blast, but here will do.

If we are going to keep TRob there is concern about his height and shooting.  I was looking at the break downs of his shooting and I like what I see.  He has connected on 10 out of 23 on "tip" shots.  That's not great, but looking at the statistic itself I am pleased.  In his limited minutes the guy is getting in the paint and getting his hands on offensive rebounds.  Now, I cannot speak for the quality of these touches, but with a little more experience and coaching he could easily become a force on the offensive glass converting 60% of these.

Looking at lay-ups he is 35-79 (ouch!).  That's rough.  Still, I see lack of experience and coaching at fault moreso than size.  The guy is getting to the rim, but hasn't learned yet how to finish.  With his long arms, explosive legs and big base he should have no trouble creating space and converting these--I am guessing it is a technique problem.

Combining those two stats you get 45-102...a hair under 45%.  He is 17-24 on dunks.  I have no idea how to explain this....Again, experience and coaching should fix this.  So now we are at 52-126 fgm.  He has taken 243 fg's all year....

On hook shots, he is 6-9.  That's a little better. 

Ah, I think we found the problem....he is 16-53 on jump shots outside the paint.  As has been stated, shooting can be learned and I am sure the Rox will find 3-4 spots for him and he will shoot 1,000 shots a day until he can execute them with closed eyes.

For now, the idea of him shooting 3's is probably not in the plans....let's get him shooting solid from 16 ft. first.

All in all, I think a little coaching and experience gets these numbers to spike sharply and quickly.  He seems to be relatively bright and eager to learn and improve.  Suddenly, the Rockets have an inside force just waiting to be unleashed on the league.

In contrast to the link I posted earlier about K. Love....presuming TRob can make these improvements and D-Mo can refine his impressive skill set and learn some D I dare say keeping them is better than the acquisition of Smith or Love.  Projecting a normal learning curve for them--in 2 years we will be grinning from ear to ear--maybe even sooner.

#51 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 437 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

It's interesting he is shooting so poorly on jumpers. if I remember correctly, he made a lot of those types of shots at Kansas.  It's be interesting to know if these were post-up jumpers, shot clock winding down, or open off kick-outs.  First two wouldn't worry me so much, not a lot of those coming his way in Hou.  Catch and shoot though would cause some issues.  But, considering he made them at Kansas it, hopefully, is a confidence problem, lack of playing time problem. 

#52 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,134 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

This offers some insight

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users