Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Breaking: Rockets Acquire Thomas Robinson in Mulit-team Trade

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:44 AM

I like this trade very very much, then again as a Baylor grad I saw a lot of Robinson in college and hope his disappointing play at SAC was more because of the team than him. Plus getting more off the cap is nice.

WTF? NO FREAKIN WAY. :lol: Kade you like this deal? morey is going to win you over sooner or later :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#22 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:46 AM

Probably end game because none of the new acquistions can be flipped. With 1 roster spot open, the Rockets might make 1 more minor move to help another team shed some salary ( cost to the other team would be another draft pick is my best guess). The great thing is the Rockets don't need to make that move unless it totally makes sense. They could instead simply pick up somebody that is kicking a$$ in the D-League. Or just go with a 14-player roster the rest of the season.

Actually the Rockets are still under the cap, so if they wanted they could trade Robinson before the deadline.

Here's is somebody who gets paid to write about the NBA's thoughts on the trade.
    http://basketball.re...aded-To-Rockets

#23 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 891 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

We lose the corner 3 and MM's 3 pters, but TRob can still spread the floor a bit, just less efficiently. He can knock down some midrange jumpers, I thought -- just not yet from behind the arc.

Same thing could have been said about 2Pat last season... :) I like this deal a lot. We knew MM and 2Pat's ceilings, for the most part. We don't with TRob yet, so worst case scenario, we sort of break even with TRob contributing about as much as 2Pat might have (not sure if MM was necessary to land TRob), or best case scenario, we have a really, really good PF one day lol. Morey magic!

#24 Kade

Kade

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 223 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

well I guess this puts all those j smith, milsap rumors to bed.

No it hasn't. Robinson may get traded to get Mildap tomorrow and Morey is going after Smith this off season. The trades tonight shows its pretty clear freeing up more cap they will go hard for him.

#25 Kade

Kade

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 223 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

WTF? NO FREAKIN WAY. :lol:/> Kade you like this deal? morey is going to win you over sooner or later :lol:/>

Robinson may not be with us for long but if he is he better not play like a bum like he did with Sac hopefully it's the team that's the cause and not that he's a bust.

#26 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,184 posts
        • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Really like both parts of this deal in a vacuum, although it remains to be seen how it will work on the court for the rest of this season with only rookies at the PF position.

Thomas Robinson for Patterson was obviously a huge steal in NBA Trade Value terms. #5 pick in the draft hasn't really had time to show his potential yet, especially playing in the cancerous player development environment that is the Sacramento Kings' locker room. Hopefully the change of scenery and a team with a better attitude will help him get his head around the NBA game, and if he can do that he has the upside to be much better than Patterson. I remember Morey talking about how what he really wanted was a top 5 pick, as that's where the majority of stars are drafted. Well now he's got one! Here's to hoping Mr. Robinson can develop into the beast he was projected to be back in July.

I also really like dealing Morris for the Suns' second round pick. Remember, we're talking about the Suns, who have one of the worst records in the league this year. That means the pick is going to be low 30s, which outside of the lottery is the best place to draft in the league. You're not locked into salary obligations like you would be with a 1st round draft choice, but there's unlikely to be a huge drop off in player quality between players available in the late first round and early second round. Given what Morey has been able to do with 2nd round picks in the past, I'm looking forward to seeing what magic he can work next time around.

The issue is just that he made both of those deals and it puts our playoff run in jeopardy. While we haven't exactly been getting consistent production from the PF spot, this trade is unlikely to help matters in that regard. Thomas Robinson has played 809 minutes of NBA basketball, Terrence Jones 91, Donatas Motiejunas 81. They're going to have to learn fast! Fortunately the addition of Garcia means that we will be able to go small more often with Parsons playing some 4. It will be interesting to see whether lineups like that start to get more playing time.

ST

#27 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,597 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

I'm not too familiar with Garcia. Is he a decent defender? I know he can shoot the 3, or so I've heard, but what about defense? We already have enough defensive liabilities on the court.

Why so Serious? :D

#28 Guest_ckingtcu_*

Guest_ckingtcu_*
        • Guests

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

In a nutshell, I like these deals. A lot. As echoed all through this forum, we took advantage of Sac trying to save money and stole Robinson. Toney Douglas and Cole Aldrich were expendable so basically we swapped Patterson for Robinson, a 2 month rental of Cisco Garcia and supposedly a 2nd rounder. Thats a HUGE steal. I'm not as big of a fan of the Morris for a 2nd rounder trade and I think everyone in the league would agree that in pure value, the Rockets were the losers here, but this deal was made for future salary cap purposes, not for this season. As I've re-iterated multiple times since I joined Red94 (specifically see my lengthy post in the Reading the Trade Deadline Tea Leaves forum from a few weeks ago) the Rockets are NOT trying to contend this year. Nor should they be. They have the youngest core in the league and (especially now) as much cap flexibility as anyone. There is absolutely no reason to go all-in at this point. These moves were made to continue to build a young core while leaving the door open for a max-level player in the future. Too often, I see people posting and commenting about how this affects this team this season and to be honest.... MOREY DOESN'T CARE... and neither should you. This team will be a championship contender in 2 years and that is the ultimate goal. If we start making moves too quickly we will end up in contender/pretender purgatory for the long haul yet again (granted, the first time was not Daryl's fault. he built a contender but the unexpected injuries to T-Mac and Yao ended their careers). Bottom line, keep rooting for this team to make the playoffs and who knows maybe we can pull a 1st round upset. When we limit turnovers and shoot the 3 well we can beat anyone... but more importantly, sit back and wait. Things will only get better.

#29 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 69 posts
        • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Garcia's usage mirrors that of Douglas, but he likely doesn't get as much time with starters on the floor as Toney did. A basic comparison of their stats this season shows some telling differences in their playing style:

Minutes: Douglas 18/Garcia 17

Shooting: Douglas 139-352(.395) / Garcia 72-205(.376)
        -similar minutes, Douglas is much more aggressive, taking almost 150 more shots

3-ball: Douglas 61-162(.357) / Garcia 40-109 (.367)

Free-Throws: HUGE** Douglas 60-68 FT / Garcia 12-14 FT
        -Garcia obviously doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body or feels he has nothing to prove. May have something to do with bad offense of Sacramento though.

Rebounding: Douglas 90 / Garcia 68

Assists/Turnovers: Douglas 93AST/56TO , Garcia 43 AST/20TO
        -shows aggressive nature of Douglas and poor offensive flow for Sacramento

Defensive Stats: Douglas 40 steals, 2 blocks / Garcia 32 steals, 31 blocks
        -Garcia obviously knows where to be on defense and is more likely to play smarter not harder (drafted in 2005)

Interesting comparison, but I would love to know how much of that is affected by how awful Sacramento is this year as a team.

#30 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,008 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

In a nutshell, I like these deals. A lot. As echoed all through this forum, we took advantage of Sac trying to save money and stole Robinson. Toney Douglas and Cole Aldrich were expendable so basically we swapped Patterson for Robinson, a 2 month rental of Cisco Garcia and supposedly a 2nd rounder. Thats a HUGE steal. I'm not as big of a fan of the Morris for a 2nd rounder trade and I think everyone in the league would agree that in pure value, the Rockets were the losers here, but this deal was made for future salary cap purposes, not for this season. As I've re-iterated multiple times since I joined Red94 (specifically see my lengthy post in the Reading the Trade Deadline Tea Leaves forum from a few weeks ago) the Rockets are NOT trying to contend this year. Nor should they be. They have the youngest core in the league and (especially now) as much cap flexibility as anyone. There is absolutely no reason to go all-in at this point. These moves were made to continue to build a young core while leaving the door open for a max-level player in the future. Too often, I see people posting and commenting about how this affects this team this season and to be honest.... MOREY DOESN'T CARE... and neither should you. This team will be a championship contender in 2 years and that is the ultimate goal. If we start making moves too quickly we will end up in contender/pretender purgatory for the long haul yet again (granted, the first time was not Daryl's fault. he built a contender but the unexpected injuries to T-Mac and Yao ended their careers). Bottom line, keep rooting for this team to make the playoffs and who knows maybe we can pull a 1st round upset. When we limit turnovers and shoot the 3 well we can beat anyone... but more importantly, sit back and wait. Things will only get better.

These aren't two separate deals. This is one three team deal. The Rockets traded 5M in salary on next years books for $3.5M. Robinson has the biggest upside of all the players involved, and the Rockets picked up two second rounders that will probably be in the low 30s.

#31 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 338 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Strictly speaking you can trade any player you just acquired in a trade,only he has to be traded by himself,he can't be packaged w/any other player.
            Realistically,the player has to pass a physical(altho I'm sure that could be waived if team wanted to) and the paperwork has to be done w/teams and League Office and the time before deadline is too short for all that to happen.

I am blown away Morey traded both rotation PFs,leaving McHale only rookies. Going to be interesting to see who gets the PF start in a week or so. Fit would seem to be Motie,and Smith w/whoever wins between Jones and Robinson.
            Garcia is a nice enough role player who gives McHale an option off bench when Delfino's elbow acts up or there's foul trouble on wings.
            Theoretically you pair Delfino and Garcia on second unit giving a strong vet presence to a unit fielding a rookie PG,a rookie PF and either a rookie or second-yr C.

#32 Guest_ckingtcu_*

Guest_ckingtcu_*
            • Guests

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

I've seen conflicting reports on whether we are receiving 1 or 2 2nd rounders in the deal. Does anyone know for sure?? Given Morey's track record with those types of picks (Parsons/Budinger/Landry etc.) I think there's a big difference.

#33 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 283 posts
            • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

robinson cant be flipped before the deadline, he would have to pass a physical by 3pm today.

rockets are supposedly "in love" with robinson. this is who i wanted them to try and draft this year. he is a awesome rebounder and is a huge body. super atheletic and can play some defense. exactly what we need right now. his offensive game isnt too horrible, he was just part of a horrible offense and held back by inconsistent minutes. excited to see him in red.

#34 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,008 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

I've seen conflicting reports on whether we are receiving 1 or 2 2nd rounders in the deal. Does anyone know for sure?? Given Morey's track record with those types of picks (Parsons/Budinger/Landry etc.) I think there's a big difference.

2. One from Phoenix, one from Seatlle Supersonics.

#35 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,125 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

someone should call the police......morey just held up the kings without a mask or gun :ph34r: this just shows how poorly managed the kings really are. I have no reservations about robinson. being a good player who didn't shine because he was within a poor enviroment as a rook is not reason to write off the #5 pick. this kid has star level abilities. can he pull it together...........that remains to be seen, but he is well worth the risk. plus this relieves some of the logjam at PF and makes more cap space for the summer. no matter how you look at this trade it's a win/win...............like I said someone should call the police :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#36 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 216 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

LOVE this trade. Looks like everyone else here is on this bandwagon too.

Robinson isn't quite otherworldly in his athleticism but he is still a great athlete. I think playing in a system where he gets to run the floor and attack before the defense is set will give him a 4 point boost on his scoring. Downside is his shooting. He just isn't a good shooter. His form changes from shot to shot and he seems to have more confidence in it then he should. His post game is a little suspect as well, but time with McHale and Co will fix that. Here is his draft day write up
                http://www.draftexpr...-robinson-5496/

I think Garcia is a great pickup as well. It finally gets someone to pressure Delfino into taking decent shots as he is interchangeable with Garcia. Plus he can realistically spell Parsons at the three.

I expect to see Garcia and Delfino gone next year with all first and second year players plus Lin, Harden, Asik, Parsons, and whatever free agent they choose to sign. So I guess Morey will be drafting shooters this coming draft. Morey has outdone himself. Playoff push pickup with Garcia while clearing room to see if these rookies are as good as we think.

#37 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,008 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Anyone who wants a good laugh should check out grantland.com and see Simmons and Lowe discuss this trade. Albeit Simmons and Morey are friends, but Simmons does his best Boston Sports Guy and Lowe actually discuss the players.

#38 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,008 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

LOVE this trade. Looks like everyone else here is on this bandwagon too.

Robinson isn't quite otherworldly in his athleticism but he is still a great athlete. I think playing in a system where he gets to run the floor and attack before the defense is set will give him a 4 point boost on his scoring. Downside is his shooting. He just isn't a good shooter. His form changes from shot to shot and he seems to have more confidence in it then he should. His post game is a little suspect as well, but time with McHale and Co will fix that. Here is his draft day write up
                    http://www.draftexpr...-robinson-5496/

I think Garcia is a great pickup as well. It finally gets someone to pressure Delfino into taking decent shots as he is interchangeable with Garcia. Plus he can realistically spell Parsons at the three.

I expect to see Garcia and Delfino gone next year with all first and second year players plus Lin, Harden, Asik, Parsons, and whatever free agent they choose to sign. So I guess Morey will be drafting shooters this coming draft. Morey has outdone himself. Playoff push pickup with Garcia while clearing room to see if these rookies are as good as we think.

Robinson is a better shooter than people give him credit. While he is shoting 42-43%, 10% of his shots have been blocked. That shows he hasn't learned how to use his body, where to expect defenders to help from, you know big man stuff. Who better to teach him these things than a 6-10 Hall of Fame PF, who wasn't near the athlete as Robinson is, in Kevin McHale? FYI the season McHale coached the most games in Minnesota was Al Jefferson's best year.

#39 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 4,134 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Was just checking the draft express profile that was posted...in the top right they do a "best case/worst case" projection...

For Robinson, best case is Al Horford and worst case is Reggie Evans....given how much I like Evans' game....this makes me very happy

#40 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                    • 1,574 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Anyone who wants a good laugh should check out grantland.com and see Simmons and Lowe discuss this trade. Albeit Simmons and Morey are friends, but Simmons does his best Boston Sports Guy and Lowe actually discuss the players.

I read it earlier, and it is hilarious.
                      Heres the link: http://www.grantland...exchange-part-1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users