Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Breaking: Rockets Acquire Thomas Robinson in Mulit-team Trade

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:20 AM

New post: Breaking: Rockets Acquire Thomas Robinson in Mulit-team Trade

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

this is a super great trade for the rockets............morey you did it again. you got something for very little cost. robinson is a better version of mm. bringing in garcia is also good for a playoff run. the rockets just dropped another 6.1 mil under the salary cap for next year because garcia's deal has a team option for next year. and honeycutt's deal is not guaranteed. I guess the rockets have deemed d-mo and jones ready to play. this relieves some of the logjam and all at the same time they opened up and extra roster spot. MOREY IS A VERY GOOD GM HANDS DOWN.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#3 joshtwillis

joshtwillis

• Members
    • Pip
    • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

Somewhere kade just threw up in his mouth a little bit ....

#4 essex

essex

• Members
      • Pip
      • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:39 AM

so much spread pick n roll. robinson doesn't shoot the 3 ball

#5 essex

essex

• Members
        • Pip
        • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:39 AM

*so much FOR spread picknroll

#6 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
          • 1,574 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

Love it. I wanted Robinson in the draft, this is better. I like Garcia, even if for only ~20 games. Wish we could've gotten more for Morris, but it should be a relatively high 2nd round pick, and we didn't take back any bad contracts so that's a win too. I'm thrilled.

#7 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
            • 301 posts
            • LocationAbilene

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

I don't know much about Thomas Robinson other than the following:

He was the number 5 overall pick.

Morey valued him (and maybe the pieces along with him or the cap room they brought) enough to let go of Patterson, even though 2Pat has been steadily improving his game and contributing. Morey has done a good job in the past few years of prying away good pieces (either for the team or for later trades), and is always looking to make smart upgrades, and apparently thinks Robinson for Patterson qualifies.

Sacramento seems very dysfunctional, so even though Robinson's numbers are not as good as Patterson's so far, the cultures and the systems the teams run probably account for part of that difference.

#8 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 263 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

This trade is a pretty solid trade even if nothing else happens. Basically turned 4 players, 2 of which were not in the long-term picture and the other 2 were questionable for long-term, into a rookie top 5 pick, an additional 4 million off the salaries after the season, & 2 second round picks.

#9 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 263 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

Then to top it off, the Rockets managed to knock off OKC despite not having the two guys who received 95% of the minutes at PF this season.

#10 Kade

Kade

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 223 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

Somewhere kade just threw up in his mouth a little bit ....

I like this trade very very much, then again as a Baylor grad I saw a lot of Robinson in college and hope his disappointing play at SAC was more because of the team than him. Plus getting more off the cap is nice.

#11 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 338 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:03 AM

Freakin' Sacramento.
                    The Rockets had a deal w/Sac on Draft day for the Sac #5 if Sac's guy wasn't there. And Sac's guy was Robinson,so Sac turned down the trade.
                    Now Sac trades Robinson. Unbelievable.

#12 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 208 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

*so much FOR spread picknroll

I had the same thought, actually. The Rockets haven't used a single lineup this year that didn't involve 4 three-point shooters on the floor. Putting Robinson in the starting lineup would throw a huge monkey wrench into their offense. I predict we'll see him taking Greg Smith's minutes at back-up center next to D-Mo playing the backup 4. If he can set picks, grab boards and finish for 15 minutes per night, we make the playoffs, he gets to develop in a clearly defined role, and everybody goes home happy (except Greg Smith).
                      "Assets" -- Daryl Morey

#13 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 338 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

BTW,the Rockets only saved some $1.5mil assuming the team would have kept Pat.
                        Robinson is due some $3.5mil and Pat and Morris combine for $5mil. Everybody else was/is an expiring.
                        I must say I'm rather shocked. I thought Morey would trade one of Pat and Morris,not both!

#14 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 103 posts
                        • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:10 AM

This article, http://aroyalpain.co...atterson-trade/ , sort of tells me that Houston has just raided the cookie jar big time. Personally, I am glad to see movement at the PF. Patterson and Morris failed to impress at the 4, regardless of having 2/3 of a season to establish themselves. As pharmag commented, we managed to knock off OKC with neither of them involved, and a very short bench.

You have to love the effort in tonight's win over OKC. I thought the game was a lost cause when we fell behind by 12 in the 4th quarter, but Harden and crew put their collective heads together and eeked out a tough win. It's a damn shame to have to watch low quality streaming video to "sort of" see the game. Maybe Time Warner will wake up one of these days and offer us a chance to see these Rockets, even if it costs a few bucks a month.

#15 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 437 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

Freakin' Sacramento.
                          The Rockets had a deal w/Sac on Draft day for the Sac #5 if Sac's guy wasn't there. And Sac's guy was Robinson,so Sac turned down the trade.
                          Now Sac trades Robinson. Unbelievable.

Lucky us that Sac didn't. We probably draft Drummond. No Harden. Sac's terribleness benefits us.

#16 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • 4,125 posts
                          • Locationhouston

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

well I guess this puts all those j smith, milsap rumors to bed.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#17 Paradise

Paradise

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

I honestly like this trade. Like the moving of these guys, and TRob has potential to be a decent player. Also with this move we can get Dmo playing time and Jones as well.

#18 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 263 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

So is this end-game until offseason, or is there another move coming?

#19 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                              • PipPipPipPipPip
                              • 1,865 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

So is this end-game until offseason, or is there another move coming?

Probably end game because none of the new acquistions can be flipped. With 1 roster spot open, the Rockets might make 1 more minor move to help another team shed some salary ( cost to the other team would be another draft pick is my best guess). The great thing is the Rockets don't need to make that move unless it totally makes sense. They could instead simply pick up somebody that is kicking a$$ in the D-League. Or just go with a 14-player roster the rest of the season.

#20 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
                                • PipPipPip
                                • 263 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

Probably end game because none of the new acquistions can be flipped. With 1 roster spot open, the Rockets might make 1 more minor move to help another team shed some salary ( cost to the other team would be another draft pick is my best guess). The great thing is the Rockets don't need to make that move unless it totally makes sense. They could instead simply pick up somebody that is kicking a$$ in the D-League. Or just go with a 14-player roster the rest of the season.

Makes sense. I do like the upside we have at the four now. I think PPat is about as good as he is going to be. He is an excellent scorer but as the 3rd/4th scoring option, he doesn't rebound well enough and his defense isn't always consistent. As for Morris, he is a tweener and will probably always be a bench/match-up player. He has some upside, but again he is a scorer with limited rebounding and even less defense than PPat.

With Robinson, Motie, & Jones, I see a lot of potential. Robinson is a good rebounder and solid defender. While Motie struggles with rebounding & defending due to the size he gives up, he has the most complete post game of any of the PF and with some added size should become a better rebounder and defender. And Jones is a crazy athletic player, if he can manage to put it all together.

At least that is what I have see. Then again, school has kept me pretty busy of late and I am not as on top of it as I usually am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users