Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

More Morey: Rockets Owner Plans Contract Extension For GM

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

New post: More Morey: Rockets Owner Plans Contract Extension For GM

#2 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

This is the best news since the announcement of the Drexler trade.

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,125 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Don't tell Kade :P Just kidding, buddy....hopefully Morey can win you over soon.

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,122 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Don't tell Kade :P Just kidding, buddy....hopefully Morey can win you over soon.

Kade may move out of town on that note as bad as he hates morey :lol: this just proves that les is no dummy. he knows a good GM when he sees one. as important as any players we get (leadership at the top) is also part of the championship puzzle. we have a very good GM and too see him get extended means he has been given the keys to finish the rebuild project.............that's good news :)

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#5 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
      • 2,298 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

Great news that Morey is getting an extension.
      How sweet it is!

#6 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 891 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

I'm very happy with this move. Morey is one of the better GMs in the league, and I think most Houston fans appreciate his work. Can't wait to see what else is up his sleeve! lol

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,122 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

I'm very happy with this move. Morey is one of the better GMs in the league, and I think most Houston fans appreciate his work. Can't wait to see what else is up his sleeve! lol

I know..........I would hate to be in a poker game with this guy. his greatest asset.... he has long term vision....something most GMs struggle with. it;s one thing to have a good plan, but the ability to carry it out even with the other GMs working against you can not be underestimated. if les truely did demand he continued winning while rebuilding he has done something very few GMs could pull off. especially considering the other GMs know exactly what he's trying to do. that alone (IMO) is worth a new deal.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#8 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,596 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

I think Morey's done a good job the last 2 years. Before that, I don't know. But you win some, you lose some. But if he hadn't gotten Harden and lost out on Lin and Asik, I probably would be calling for his head. Results are what matter, and he has been on a hot streak lately and I hope he stays on one. The only criticism I had was the fact that we didn't get anything from Scola.

Why so Serious? :D

#9 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
      • 1,562 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

I think Morey's done a good job the last 2 years. Before that, I don't know. But you win some, you lose some. But if he hadn't gotten Harden and lost out on Lin and Asik, I probably would be calling for his head. Results are what matter, and he has been on a hot streak lately and I hope he stays on one. The only criticism I had was the fact that we didn't get anything from Scola.

We did get something from Scola. We got out of his horrendous contract with no cap penalty.

#10 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,596 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

We did get something from Scola. We got out of his horrendous contract with no cap penalty.

5 mil / 6mil / 6.5 mil over 3 years is not a bad contract. It wasn't great for a rebuilding team, but for his production, it was about par. It was not a horrendous contract.

#11 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,008 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

5 mil / 6mil / 6.5 mil over 3 years is not a bad contract. It wasn't great for a rebuilding team, but for his production, it was about par. It was not a horrendous contract.

It is when that would put us equal to the cap at the moment, meaning Morey would have zero moves to make at the deadline. With the 6M in cap he might be able to pick up a second round pick while taking on a $6 million player from someone wanting to get under the luxury tax. Scola is an overachiever who is more liked by the fans then the talent evaluators. So to pay him to be on a western conference team that is rebuilding, and eating minutes that should be going to a younger player is money well spent.

#12 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,122 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

one question..............what are scola stats for this year? in case you haven't noticed there has been a large dropoff in caliber of play. phoenix is looking to dump scola right now as we speak, but can't find anybody willing to take his contract. scola was a nice filler while rebuilding, but no longer fits with the direction we want to go. remember we tried to trade him ourselfs and found no takers. which means either waive him or allow him to eat cap room. remember we would not be having dicussions about cap flexibility if scola was still on our books.

#13 Kade

Kade

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 223 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

<_<

#14 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,125 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

"Guess I can't make everybody happy....."
            Posted Image

#15 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,865 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

Damn, Kade is 0/2 with only Coach McHale left in this thread. I seriously doubt Leslie Alexander and Daryl Morey are going to "fire" Coach McHale after just 1 strike shortened season and the second season with practically a completely new roster and oh yeah, some guy named Harden joininge Rockets AFTER the pre-season. My prediction thus is Kade will end up 0/3. Does anyone know how many practices the Rockets actually have during the regular season? Very, very few and the ones they have are important. Kind of hard to put in a complete new system once Harden joined the Rockets without much practice time. I think Coach McHale and his staff have done an outstanding job so far with the new roster et al.

#16 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,596 posts
              • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

I think the biggest problem most people have with him is that it seems like he's so inconsistent with his rotations. He's not at Coach Smart's level, but he's not that far off. That's the biggest reason people have issues with him.

#17 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,122 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

I think the biggest problem most people have with him is that it seems like he's so inconsistent with his rotations. He's not at Coach Smart's level, but he's not that far off. That's the biggest reason people have issues with him.

not so my good friend......my beef with him is he does not know how to take advantage of mismatches during a game. that's why denver kills us everytime they play us. george karl uses mismatches in his favor and mc hale doesn't know how to counter. that far and away is my biggest beef. some hope he will learn on the fly, but I am of the mindset to bring in someone who already knows what he's doing not trying to learn. while I agree morey is the right man for his job, mc hale should be fired and a new better coach brought in.

#18 PKM

PKM

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 124 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

not so my good friend......my beef with him is he does not know how to take advantage of mismatches during a game. that's why denver kills us everytime they play us. george karl uses mismatches in his favor and mc hale doesn't know how to counter. that far and away is my biggest beef. some hope he will learn on the fly, but I am of the mindset to bring in someone who already knows what he's doing not trying to learn. while I agree morey is the right man for his job, mc hale should be fired and a new better coach brought in.

Denver kills us because they're a better version of us with a lot less upside. That's what it comes down to.

Care to give us some specific examples? And the fact is that I don't believe in any coach out there being THAT much better than McHale that it's worth the hassle of firing him and going through the irritation of learning a new system in the middle of the season.

#19 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,596 posts
                • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Denver kills us because they're a better version of us with a lot less upside. That's what it comes down to.

Care to give us some specific examples? And the fact is that I don't believe in any coach out there being THAT much better than McHale that it's worth the hassle of firing him and going through the irritation of learning a new system in the middle of the season.

I don't think any of us want him fired in the middle of the season(with the exception of Kade). But you're right that there aren't many big name guys available. Phil's retired. Sloan is kind of old to relate to players(although we saw how much BETTER his system made D-Will and Boozer). Mike Brown would get our defense in order, but has severe offensive liabilities(I wouldn't mind them hiring him to be a d-coordinator, he's a great defensive mind). So, we would have to put our trust in Morey to find a better coach.

#20 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,122 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

the only thing we have in common with denver is the pace at which we play. denver has no star they are built around players who are boederline stars. we on the other hand are built around a star(harden). as for coaches who could coach a ring around mc hale? either van gundy jeff or stan(even though getting stan would not be good for a howard run) nate mc millian and brian shaw just to name a few. fact is mc hale couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag with one end open and a knife in hand. this is the main reason the rockets can not close out close games. if you look at the wins we have very few are in close games because when the game slows in the last few minutes he is unable to get the team in position to execute set plays. we simply fall on harden to iso more often than not. he has no plays we can execute at the end of a quater, half or end of games. trust me their are plenty of options when it comes to coaches. i'm not saying we should make an in season move, but end of this year........yes. it's time to stop babysitting mc hale and get a real coach.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users