Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Morey, McHale and White - Time to Go

*Official fire thread*

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#141 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

I disagree about the Rockets overachieving. I think they're performing as expected. I didn't think that Harden was a superstar already(I figured 2 years to get there) but now that he has shown how good he is, I think they are an 8th seed.

Why so Serious? :D

#142 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

They are overachieving. The stat geniuses at ESPN had the Rockets as the second to worse team in the West before the Harden trade, winning 25 games. Then when the Harden trade happened they were suppose to pick up 8-10 wins.

Morey is the best thing that has happened to the Rockets. In the first full offseason since Yao Ming retired, he got the star he had being pushing for. He has turned second round picks into our starting 3 and a promising young 4. He turned a expiring contract and Carl Landry into Royce White and James Harden.

#143 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,179 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

I disagree about the Rockets overachieving. I think they're performing as expected. I didn't think that Harden was a superstar already(I figured 2 years to get there) but now that he has shown how good he is, I think they are an 8th seed.

They are overachieving. The stat geniuses at ESPN had the Rockets as the second to worse team in the West before the Harden trade, winning 25 games. Then when the Harden trade happened they were suppose to pick up 8-10 wins.

I think the truth lies somewhere between the two. Certainly we are doing better than people expected at the start of the season, in part because nobody knew just how good Harden would be. But even when you recalculate expectations factoring that in, I still think the team is overachieving. It's easy to forget that this is the youngest team in the league given how mature they are playing at times. While there have been the occasional blips (eg. that seven game losing streak), for the most part I've felt like the team has been far more consistent than we've any right to expect from a team with so little NBA experience. Most players on the team have massively expanded roles from the previous season, and have stepped up admirably. If that doesn't count as overachieving, I don't know what does.

ST

#144 Kade

Kade

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 223 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

Morey is the best thing that has happened to the Rockets. In the first full offseason since Yao Ming retired, he got the star he had being pushing for. He has turned second round picks into our starting 3 and a promising young 4. He turned a expiring contract and Carl Landry into Royce White and James Harden.

New Rocket fan? Morey is without a doubt and proven that he's not the best thing that has happened to the Rockets and this isn't this first full season since Yao Ming retired.

By the way, the Rockets only got Harden because Washington for some dumb reason didn't want to deal with OKC. It's not as if Morey worked his magic.

We are only the 8th seed because the Lakers can't buy a win, even so, the Lakers playing at their all time worse are only 4 games back. Our HC is god awful (just watch the Rockets games, trust me, your eyes won't lie) and makes multiple in game head scratchers. There's a reason why he ruined the Timberwolves franchise.

Also the Rockets are god awful on the road. If we get into the postseason it won't be because we are a playoff type team it's because the likes of the Lakers just couldn't get it together.

#145 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,008 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

New Rocket fan? Morey is without a doubt and proven that he's not the best thing that has happened to the Rockets and this isn't this first full season since Yao Ming retired.

By the way, the Rockets only got Harden because Washington for some dumb reason didn't want to deal with OKC. It's not as if Morey worked his magic.

We are only the 8th seed because the Lakers can't buy a win, even so, the Lakers playing at their all time worse are only 4 games back. Our HC is god awful (just watch the Rockets games, trust me, your eyes won't lie) and makes multiple in game head scratchers. There's a reason why he ruined the Timberwolves franchise.

Also the Rockets are god awful on the road. If we get into the postseason it won't be because we are a playoff type team it's because the likes of the Lakers just couldn't get it together.

Been a fan since the early 90s. And the Lakers only got Gasol because Memphis was saving money, Boston only got KG because of the friendship between McHale and Angie, the Bulls only got Jordan because Portland drafted Bowie, OKC only got Durant because Portland drafted Oden. Teams get stars in the oddest and least prodictable way.

Yao retired in 2011, then the NBA had its lockout, thus making last summer the first full offseason morey has had without Yao.

McHale ruined Minnesota because of his personal decisions not the decisions he made as a coach. The winning percentage he had with the T-Wolves as a coach was HIGHER then when he wasn't.

The lakers are one team below them. The Rockets are better then Golden State, and the Jazz. So even giving your misguided logic that Rockets are only the 8th seed cause of the collapse of the lakers, when the Rockets pass the other two teams, they would still be the 8th seed.

#146 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,122 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Steven:
        you can't reason with Kade :blink: in fact I don't even know why Kade calls himself a rocket fan when he is clearly not happy with anything they do ......ever :lol: maybe he loves to hate them of something.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#147 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,125 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Doesn't matter. Hakeem is the best thing that has happened to the rockets. :P

Morey's job is to get us back...I'd say we are headed that way. It may not be until 4-5 years from now. Trades happen. Power shifts. Stars fade. Timing is everything. Luck matters. So cross your fingers and enjoy the ride!

BTW, I still think one of the greatest travesties of all time (regarding NBA) is that Hakeem and Jordan never went head to head in the finals. Bulls had no one that could have contained him back then. Horace Grant, Bill Cartwright, and.....not much else. Hakeem was abusing Robinson, Shaq, Ewing, and everyone else...imagine what he does to them....Alas....

#148 PKM

PKM

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 124 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

That there's a no win situation from you. Morey offers too much, then well obviously that's a problem. Morey offers too little, then you get to just call him lucky because some other team could have done better, which frankly is going to be true in nearly all circumstances especially since the Rockets don't have advantages like the Heat or Lakers or whomever does.

Fact is that five months after it, the Harden trade right now looks like one of the most lopsided deals in the NBA in a long, long time. We got at worst a top 10 player and a legitimate case can be made for him being top 5, have him locked for 6 years at the age of 23...and what'd we give up? A shooting guard who wasn't going to be here past this season anyways, the 11th pick in a bad draft, another pick which won't be realized for 6 years, and a young player who has played 64 minutes this season. That's just insane.

#149 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,125 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

can't argue too much with that....Lamb may wind up being pretty good, but it's the bird in the hand vs. 2 in the bush argument.

#150 Guest_Tyler1411_*

Guest_Tyler1411_*
          • Guests

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

I must say that I am young, and didn't get to enjoy the chamionship years (I was 5 & 6 years old), but this is the most excited I have been about the team since the Yao McGrady days. We are young, talented, and have the cap space to work with. I honestly thought we were going to be subpar this season, even after the Harden trade. I figured it would take time to mesh, and we would start slow finish strong. Ending somewhere around 5 games under .500. I have been pleasantly surprised, and am enjoying the ride. I'll admit the 7 game skid was a little rough, but overall what can I complain about?

#151 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,596 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

I guess I'm the only one who thinks we're not over or underachieving. I just think Harden's played like a top 7 player in the NBA and Lin/Parsons/Asik have been solid starters. I think we're an 8th seed. Lebron took a worse supporting cast to the NBA Finals, so I think an 8th seed is not too much to expect for a player of Harden's talent with this supporting cast.

Why so Serious? :D

#152 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,122 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

I guess I'm the only one who thinks we're not over or underachieving. I just think Harden's played like a top 7 player in the NBA and Lin/Parsons/Asik have been solid starters. I think we're an 8th seed. Lebron took a worse supporting cast to the NBA Finals, so I think an 8th seed is not too much to expect for a player of Harden's talent with this supporting cast.

considering how young we are? YES we are overachieving. lebron took a team laden with vets to the finals. players who had already proved their worth with other teams. on the other hand many of our players are proving for the 1 time that they deserve to be starters in the league......ie asik, lin and harden in a alpha dog role in addition ppat and mm and parson...young players carving a career out in the league. so yeah we are overachieving. if you look at any writer who wrote an artical at the beginning of the year about the rockets even after the harden trade we were expected to fight trying to stay out of the cellar not be fighting for a playoff spot. I would call that overachieving :)

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#153 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,008 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

I relooked at the ESPN the Rockets were suppose to 18 wins this year (before Harden). That's the second worst projected record, with only the Bobcats finishing worse. Harden gave them another 10 wins, so the Rockets won more
            Games before the All-Star break then the stat geeks said they would win the entire year. I think that's overachieving.

#154 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
            • 301 posts
            • LocationAbilene

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

I don't think any of the three mentioned should be fired.

Royce White is young, athletic, and prone to making some bone-headed decisions. I'm fine with riding out his contract for the next year or two to see if he can put his talents to use. If he doesn't pan out and ends up quitting basketball, at least we aren't spending lots of money on him and we won't be that team that gives up on a guy too early only to see him flourish elsewhere. Maybe it all goes south, but I don't think it makes sense to cut ties now.

I understand that I don't know enough about coaching to be super insightful, but I think McHale is doing alright with what he has been given: a team that last year was more a collection of assets than a cohesive unit and this year an incredibly young squad, including a superstar thrown into the mix at the last minute. He's had to deal with players being dangled as trade bait, including stars from last year that were traded then untraded. He has had to bend his coaching philosophy to better fit what Morey is building, which would probably be difficult for any coach on some level. I know McHale isn't considered a great coach. Many might rank him in the bottom 50% of NBA coaches. But he's done pretty dang well with the hand he's been dealt, and I still think his ability to coach up a talented big could prove very important in the coming years.

Just about everything that could be said on Morey's account has already been typed by other posters, so I won't go on and on. I'll just say that last night, when word broke that Houston had made a trade, I immediately got very excited. Not just because I like shuffling players around, but because I have come to expect that when Morey makes a trade, it's a smart decision that is good for the team. I also expect people around the league to usually end up agreeing that we got a steal. I think that's a mark of a great GM, and I'm happy to have him as ours.

#155 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,865 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

Kade:
              you know I wasn't gonna let this tread slide without putting in my 2 cents :lol: I do agree with you on 1 point. time for mc hale to go. the rockets appear to be in the mist of a meltdown just like last year. mc hale has done nothing to impress me coaching wise. it seems when teams slow the game down on us we struggle to score. that (IMO) falls on mc hale. he's not getting max from this team. he's not playing the youngsters. he's not making the correct play calls to close out games. he still looks like he doesn't know what he is doing. I say fire him and let sampson finish the season.

as for morey.......other than the mc hale hire he is doing a fine job(IMO). I am happy with the direction of the team.

Here is Rockets Best Fan supporting Morey back in January (other than endorsing Morey's hiring of Coach McHale, that is)

#156 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,865 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

Kade:
                you know I wasn't gonna let this tread slide without putting in my 2 cents :lol: I do agree with you on 1 point. time for mc hale to go. the rockets appear to be in the mist of a meltdown just like last year. mc hale has done nothing to impress me coaching wise. it seems when teams slow the game down on us we struggle to score. that (IMO) falls on mc hale. he's not getting max from this team. he's not playing the youngsters. he's not making the correct play calls to close out games. he still looks like he doesn't know what he is doing. I say fire him and let sampson finish the season.

as for morey.......other than the mc hale hire he is doing a fine job(IMO). I am happy with the direction of the team.

Here is Rockets Best Fan supporting Morey back in January (other than endorsing Morey's hiring of Coach McHale, that is)

#157 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 3,216 posts
                • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

[Bleacher Report] How to know when a coach will be fired

I know BR doesn't have a good reputation, but I've found myself liking quite a few of their articles lately. This article makes sense to me, and I don't see McHale in any danger--unless Harden gives him the death stare soon.

#158 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 393 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Hey Kade... you mad bro?

#159 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPip
                  • 891 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

[Bleacher Report] How to know when a coach will be fired

I know BR doesn't have a good reputation, but I've found myself liking quite a few of their articles lately. This article makes sense to me, and I don't see McHale in any danger--unless Harden gives him the death stare soon.

Oh no way McHale is fired at the end of this season. Will his contract be extended? Right now signs point to yes, but next season more indicative.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users