Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Potential Trades

trades deadline first round

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#41 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Speaking of Denver....they have Jordan Hamilton (I watched him play at Texas in college) The guy is a straight up scorer. Can shoot from anywhere anyway and can create his own shot...a poor man's Carmelo Anthony--which ain't bad. He is riding the pine mostly in Denver because of their depth at the postion. He is a little undersized for a SF these days, but I would take him at the right price.

#42 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

@RBF, I don't think the majority of people on these boards necessarily disagree with you. I think instead they (along with me) just see the 4 as a position that is both in need of an upgrade and could be upgraded the most quickly, i.e., see the difference immediately. We have great young assets at the 4, but those take time to develop, and we are probably holding on to too many of them anyways atm. Parsons is actually more consistent overall in production than either Morris or Patterson, so it is just hard for me to want to replace him before "replacing" MM or 2Pat.

Then, as you yourself mentioned, all of this has to be taken into the context of his contract. At under $1M, he is a BARGAIN for what you get. He's great trade bait, but as a deal closer, in that it isn't like we will get similar quality assets back in a straight up trade for Parsons at his price lol. I am okay with moving Parsons for a monster deal, but it just seems like a smaller improvement to me to get a new 3 than a new 4, esp. if you take $$$ considerations into play. We'd be giving up a solid contributor overall for someone that does things better, shoots better, but may have to be overpaid. It is for that reason I'd rather shore up the 4 first, esp. given our $$$ situation, and all the little things Parsons does.

Random aside on Gallinari: I feel he is a streaky shooter like Parsons. I CERTAINLY don't feel as if we are getting a huge improvement at the 3 by getting Gallinari. Not understanding why you see him as an upgrade when he's shooting a LOT worse than Parsons this season (heck, whole career he shoots 4-5% worse!!), and prob contributes less overall in other areas than Parson's does...and Gallinari costs $8.5M more to do it worse lol.

edit: I also question if Parsons is really THAT bad of a shooter lol

#43 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

never heard of this guy. what year did he come out? was he drafted by denver or just aquired? I agree denver is overstocked at small forward, but because karl likes to run 10 players they may not be looking to trade.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#44 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

phaketrash:
is gallinari that bad? everytime I see him he is lighting it up. maybe i'm only seeing his good games. as far as the 4 position we still have players we haven't even taken a good look at in that spot. that's why i'm against a trade there. until we know what we have theres no use making a trade because one of the players we have there might be every bit as good as who we would be able to aquire. in addition we don't have to trade a thing if one of them work out because they are already ours allowing us to keep our trade chips and use them elsewhere.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#45 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

trading at the 4 just seems like a quick fix to me. we knew when we came to camp with such a young roster there would be growing pains. now some seem unwilling to wait for the forwards we drafted to pan out. I am not. I believe we have 2 very good options there (aka d-mo and t jones) to replace mm and ppat. we just have to wait on their developement. we were never going to win the championship this year so why give away our flexibility on possibly duplicating what we may already have. we know we need a better SF and more depth at that position. to me that's where the wiser money is spent. when our bigs blossom they will be on great contracts too. I agree I don't see parsons as a major trade chip, but as more of a deal closer. we are not going to get a player as good as him for the money, but him thrown into another deal that includes any or all of say ppat, mm, aldrich, or delfino just might land something major to help our team

#46 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

one more thing :) (IMO) greg smith is off the table unless it's a blockbuster deal. remember last year greg smith looked like he was barely hanging on to a roster spot, but now is beginning to blossom. this is what I think will happen with d-mo and t jones. just because they aren't playing now doesn't mean they won't be important pieces of the contender puzzle. this is a young team. we need time. rome was not built in a day. at least lets take a look at what we have b4 we start trying to trade it. parsons we have had a look at and while good we can do better.

#47 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

@RBF

I'm not saying we pull the trigger on a 4 this season or this offseason. I'm not a huge fan of anything available now. I personally like, off the top of my head, Bosh and Love. Then some younger players like Favors or Faried who will prob not be available either haha. These are just the ones at the 4 I would be ecstatic to have, though it seems unlikely that we land one of those. The ones this offseason, Josh Smith or Al Jefferson or Millsap just don't really do it for me. I'm not entirely against "waiting" a season or two tbh.

The thing about trying to hold onto our young assets though is we're essentially hoping one turns into an all star that will be BETTER than someone else we can get. I just don't get that. Let's think about pay off and risks in a more rational manner -- it was like people being sad about giving up Lamb for Harden...seriously? Because Lamb MAY one day become a player that MAY be as good as Harden is now? Made no sense to me...

In other words, why take the risk and chance at a player maybe becoming as good as a player we can hope to get now? Potential and picks are overvalued by most GMs imo, so we should sell high haha.

^sorry if this post sounds a bit incoherent, I am somewhat multitasking lol

#48 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

If we want to upgrade the 3, I would rather trade Delfino and put Parsons in a second unit. As said Parsons isn't going to attract a huge trade, but he could certainly close it-at which point I would hope Morey could figure a way to keep him out and close with someone else. In my opinion Parson is a starter on a decent team, but he is a back up on a great team.

Johnnygold mentioned Jordan Hamilton. I will agree he was a lot of fun to watch at Texas, but I'm not sure he's what we need at this time. I just don't know that he is a big enough help in any facet.

I wouldn't mind us looking for a 3, while trying to keep Motie/Jones in hopes that one of them pan out into starter quality. I was an advocate for Josh Smith before but at this point Im just not sure he's enough, and IMO he's the top PF FA this offseason. If we can increase our chances of attracting a star by going after either a 3 or 4 it's a win-win for the Rockets.

#49 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,122 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

phaketrash:
    I like milsap and smith, just not in a rocket jersey. I agree the current crop available via trade or FA at the 4 just don't do it for me either. I don't mind a trade at the 4, but it would have to be an allstar for it to outweigh letting the rooks have a chance to shine (IMO). I see good PF's. but not great PF's. if we are going to use up our cap room the player aquired needs to be an allstar if we want to chase championships. yes the team will get better if we just wait. if no allstar becomes available the rockets should just stand still. also I am not in favor of bringing any players over 26-27 to the rockets as a core piece untill the team has matured more. we want the rockets to win now of course, but we must keep our eye on the big picture. this team is being built for the future(maybe 2 years) we want players who will be in their prime 2 years from now. once we use that cap room that's pretty much the team we will have. so we got to be careful with it. that's why I said we should chase cousins if available. he allows us to maybe get that star player, but still have the cap room. he's still on his rookie deal. if he doesn't work out we still have a plan B to fall back on.

#50 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 283 posts
    • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

granger anybody? the rockets know he can score, im pretty sure every time he has played against us he has torched us. indiana has something good going on with george taking things over and i doubt they want to disrupt that, i feel if we went after him we could get granger for a really good price.

#51 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,290 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

I'd take granger and he might be available for something like parsons and one of the pf and cap filler if neccesary. Granger has been declining but he can still score and play a little d when needed in the playoffs plus his contract is only one year left after this season so if it doesn't work out we could dump him with little damage done.

#52 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,125 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

never heard of this guy. what year did he come out? was he drafted by denver or just aquired? I agree denver is overstocked at small forward, but because karl likes to run 10 players they may not be looking to trade.

He played from '09-'11...was really bummed when he left after sophomore season....looked ready to dominate college ball....but I guess that is why he left. He is a little small, but if his learning curve continued upwards as it seemed to be doing he may be a hidden gem. The guy has raw talent that just needs to be harnessed...that whole "you-know-it-when-you-see-it" thing....he's got it. Dallas drafted him #26 in the 2011 draft and traded him to Denver (via portland) for Rudy Fernandez. He is stuck behind Galinari and Chandler on the depth chart. Looking at their roster, Denver is a little light on power forwards.....

I'm not saying he is the answer....but if we could get him for say Morris or Ppat I would do it. I think that gives us more options if looking to package more pieces for a bigger trade because we can more easily include an attractive combo of SF's and PF's.

#53 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 891 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

I like Granger though I don't know if he is "off the ball" enough for our team. Good SF, assuming he's ok after injuries, but losing Parsons to just rent out Granger for maybe one year (if he doesn't pan out) seems like a bad option and a waste of cash, if it happens that way.

#54 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,122 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

granger?...................no. I don't know what it is about granger. he has all the intangables, but has never been dominant. he has been in the east aka least comf. and yet never looked unstopable. not worth tying up the cap space. we need a allstar not another good player for our cap space.

#55 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 208 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

I doubt we're going to see any kind of minor move from Morey aimed at helping the team's chances for this season, unless it involves getting an elite player. My trade targets would be, in order: Aldridge, Love, Horford, Josh Smith. I'd take Aldridge over Love because of health and defense. I've voiced my concerns about Smith before because of his continually poor shot selection, but I'm willing to hold out hope that being on a running team with an elite playmaker (Harden would probably be the best passer Smith ever played with) would increase his shots at the rim and decrease his long 2's.
        Outside of Lebron, Carmelo, Durant, maybe Iguodala, and maybe Nic Batum, I don't think there are any 3's in the league that would be worth what we would have to give up to get them. Looking at you Rudy Gay.
        "Assets" -- Daryl Morey

#56 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
        • 1,562 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

I like Granger, but agree with RBF that he isn't going to be a game changer, or title chaser for us. Another thing is, I've heard people mention chasing Lebron in a few years(although I think it's about a 3-5% chance), doesn't anyone remember the ECSF last year? Granger and James were all over eachother, nearly causing Granger to act like MWP. Again, Im unsure it matters, because I don't see LBJ in a Rockets uni anyway.

#57 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,290 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

granger?...................no. I don't know what it is about granger. he has all the intangables, but has never been dominant. he has been in the east aka least comf. and yet never looked unstopable. not worth tying up the cap space. we need a allstar not another good player for our cap space.

He'd only lock up our cap space for this summer though and smith is going to be the best free agent and there's a good chance he stays in atl....is granger that much worse than smith that you'd take a small shot for smith over for sure getting granger? I don't know how he comes back from injury but probably not.

#58 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,122 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

He'd only lock up our cap space for this summer though and smith is going to be the best free agent and there's a good chance he stays in atl....is granger that much worse than smith that you'd take a small shot for smith over for sure getting granger? I don't know how he comes back from injury but probably not.

I don't want smith either. neither he nor granger is the right piece (IMO). the price for either would outweigh the improvement either can bring to the team. neither will make us contenders. smith is the better option of the 2, but I say wait and see what else hits the market.

#59 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 283 posts
            • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

granger definitely has always been a dominant player, indiana didnt put pieces around him until like 2 years ago, before then he carried that team. most importantly granger is clutch, he can score in many different ways and he plays hard. we shouldnt be worried about spending money when we have plenty of money to spend right now.

#60 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,122 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

granger definitely has always been a dominant player, indiana didnt put pieces around him until like 2 years ago, before then he carried that team. most importantly granger is clutch, he can score in many different ways and he plays hard. we shouldnt be worried about spending money when we have plenty of money to spend right now.

just because we have money to burn doesn't mean we should jump at the first display in the window. fools rush in where a wise man will pause. we have plenty of time to look over all the available options b4 we choose. granger is ok, but we can do a lot better. now if the pacers want to give up paul george, that's another thing altogether, but I doubt that happening.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trades, deadline, first round

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users