Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Potential Trades

trades deadline first round

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#21 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

timetodienow:

Varejao can´t really play PF, he has as much shooting range as Asik and having to trees near the paint would only get the lane much more crowded, preventing our backcourt from penetrating. In my humble opinion, that won't do us any good, or upgrade from what we have right now

#22 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

we don't need varejao. his talents we already have in asik. of the list above the only one the rockets would be interested in is d williams and even then only at the right price. I don't think the rockets are searching for a power forward right now. I agree with Stephen it depends how they feel about d-mo and t jones. if they really like what they are seeing then morris and or patterson could be on the move. if the rockets make a move I would expect it to be for a wing player. if and when cousins becomes available they might chase him, but outside of that expect to see a wing player(IMO)

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#23 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Above posters have a point, but timetodienow, I once considered Varejao as well, in part because of his friendly contract. It is rather affordable for what you get and expires just in time for us to offer a max to the wonderful FA class of 2015! But I don't think the Cavs will trade him for cheap -- they are quite high on him, even given his injury history. I don't think the recent injury will change that mindset much at all. They're somewhat blinded when it comes to him, imo. Varejao will also be hard to move if we wanted to trade him before 2015 (or rather probably not worth the pieces we gave up) since he'd only be older and more injured :P And prob less productive than now, tbh.

#24 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Varejao out 6-8 weeks now.

#25 Furters

Furters

• Members
    • Pip
    • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

Interesting to note that the Grizzlies are reportedly active in gauging interest for Rudy Gay. If he was a PF of his calibre I think the Rockets should/would chase heavily. But while he's an upgrade over Parsons, would it really be worth the effort? I'm inclined to think not.

#26 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,122 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

Interesting to note that the Grizzlies are reportedly active in gauging interest for Rudy Gay. If he was a PF of his calibre I think the Rockets should/would chase heavily. But while he's an upgrade over Parsons, would it really be worth the effort? I'm inclined to think not.

I like rudy, but his contract is a cap killer. I don't see the rockets chasing him based solely on that reason. also that's not even taking into consideration what the grizz are going to want for him.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#27 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 283 posts
      • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

i honestly would still welcome josh smith, his play style is absolutely perfect for this team. Fast and athletic, can still spread the floor, and is good with the ball.

this is from a interview with espn's chad ford from today.

Is Houston going to be active in the trade market as the deadline nears?

Chad Ford

(1:17 PM)

Hearing yes in a major way. They like their backcourt and feel that they are set at the five. Upgrading the 4 looks like the biggest priority ... but could also look to upgrade at the 3 (though Chandler Parsons is having a good season). Rockets still have a number of young assets to offer.

http://espn.go.com/s...chat/_/id/46674

#28 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,547 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

this is from a interview with espn's chad ford from today.

Is Houston going to be active in the trade market as the deadline nears?
        Chad Ford

(1:17 PM)

Hearing yes in a major way. They like their backcourt and feel that they are set at the five. Upgrading the 4 looks like the biggest priority ... but could also look to upgrade at the 3 (though Chandler Parsons is having a good season). Rockets still have a number of young assets to offer.
        http://espn.go.com/s...chat/_/id/46674

I have a hard time believing that report just based on the last part. It's not possible to upgrade over Chandler Parsons at $800,000.

#29 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,179 posts
        • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Well it is possible to upgrade if you are purely looking to improve the talent at the position irrespective of cost. If the team is planning on being a contender in a couple of year's time, it is certainly possible to find players at the position who will be better at that point than Chandler will, as much as it pains me to say it. Just a question of whether the management feels that is a worthwhile strategic decision to make. Certainly the marginal gain is likely to be less at that position than if we acquired a dominant PF, but that doesn't mean it's not out of the question.

ST

#30 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,122 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

Sir Thursday:
        I agree even though no one is focused on the small forward position the rockets may make a move to improved there. I like parsons, but he struggles with shooting to often. I hear people saying he's young, he will learn to shoot. I am not from the school of thought that believes all players can be taught to shoot. shooting is and art. while some players do learn to be respectable at it after having struggled with it earlier, for the most part many players never figure it out. you either have it or you don't. i'm not saying parsons falls into the latter half. b4 the parsons fans start bashing me :D i'm just saying I think the jury is still out and the rockets may be looking for an upgrade.

#31 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,865 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

Players can improve their field goal percentage with lots of extra practice time if they have the heartfelt desire to improve their game. I believe Chandler Parsons is one of those players that over time can improve his field goal percentage. He does so many other things so well, plus his basketball IQ is off the charts. If the Rockets do improve the SF position down the road, I could see Chandler Parsons in the mix for 6th man of the year. I believe he is too valuable for the Rockets to trade unless for the perfect situation.

#32 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
          • 2,298 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

I am not citing statistics here just in my opinion when the Rockets make a move, if they do, into the elite teams in the NBA Parsons is better off the bench. That is way down the road. What Parsons brings to the team is not something that requires him to be a starter.
          How sweet it is!

#33 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,122 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

Players can improve their field goal percentage with lots of extra practice time if they have the heartfelt desire to improve their game. I believe Chandler Parsons is one of those players that over time can improve his field goal percentage. He does so many other things so well, plus his basketball IQ is off the charts. If the Rockets do improve the SF position down the road, I could see Chandler Parsons in the mix for 6th man of the year. I believe he is too valuable for the Rockets to trade unless for the perfect situation.

to some degree I do agree players can improve field goal percentages. few by more than just a couple of percentage points. don't get me wrong I like every other part of parsons game except shooting. on this team our small forward must be able to shoot a good percentage from 3-pt land. parsons seems unable so far to consistantly provide this. I know he is young, but I was expecting to see some results this year and so far I have not. I like the way he finishes at the baskets, plays defense and rebounds, but he can't shoot. I know every player on the team doesn't have to light it up to be effective, however with asik on the floor and our PF position unsettled parsons needs to score. both harden's and lin's game involves drive and kick, the small forward must at least be a threat to can that shot. 3-10 simply isn't gonna get it done. this is why we see so much of delfino in the game and why we struggled when he was hurt. this is why our offense will stall out in the half court game sometimes. this is why we think we need a stretch power forward. we don't...........we need the small forward to hit 3 pt shots. like I said b4 I like parsons, but I would really like parsons if he shot like bowen did for the spurs

#34 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,122 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

gotta throw this out there too. some are even proposing we let parsons play the 4 position for more than just small spurts at a time...........are you kidding me? parson can not I repeat can not match up to the big boys at power forward. I like his denfense on the wing positions. but he's no match down low. we have players who can play the 4. we don't need another body to clog the already overstock position. we need to find out which one of them can play. parson will make his living on this team as a 3 for better or worse. I know many see him as a fondational piece......I don't unless he improves his shooting drasticly. their are plenty of players who can give you good defense. the problem is finding good players who play defense well and are also a threat offensively. parson has not lived up to that yet and I see no indication that he is headed that way. he may yet prove me wrong (lets hope), but I got my rocket colored glasses on and I still can't see it.

#35 hubeijames

hubeijames

• Members
          • Pip
          • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

I have a hard time believing that report just based on the last part. It's not possible to upgrade over Chandler Parsons at $800,000.

Couldn't you just play Parsons at the 4 if you found an "upgrade" at the 3?

There just aren't enough good, valuable PFs on the market for us to insist on upgrading at that position if we stumble across a a good SF instead. We have so much raw talent at PF and only Parsons at SF, after all. I can see Morey pulling the trigger on getting a high value SF if he can, with the expectation that Parsons can still play PF as well as backup SF.

#36 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 283 posts
            • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

parsons CANT play the 4.

#37 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 594 posts
            • LocationHouston

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

hell with it, let parsons play the 5!!!! (kidding)

#38 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 437 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

If a superstar SF became available I think Morey does do that deal. But then Parsons would not start. He'd move to the bench (or be in the deal) where he'd play back-up SF and against certain match-ups PF. The only position he wouldn't trade for a new superstar is SG unless he believes Harden or the new SG could play SF. Harden is the only guy who I am 100% confident will be penciled in as a starter in 2 years.

#39 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,122 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

I have tryed to stay away from negative points on parsons, but the belief he is the answer at small forward by most just baffles me. parsons is a good player not a great player just a good one. I really like his finish at the basket, defense and rebounding, but he can't shoot. 3-10 just ain't gonna cut it. I know he has a hot streak from time to time, but he consistantly struggles shooting more often than not. most players can inprove percentages with hard work and pratice, I will agree with that point. however most only inprove a couple of percentage points. in order for the rockets to take the next step (IMO) a second scorer must be found. I know parsons is a great value based on production verses salary, but I don't think the rockets have ever been afaird to pay good talent. so the arguement he's just to good of a value doesn't hold water to me. small forwards in the west and the nba in general are scorers. this is what the rockets need parsons to do. we don't need a power forward. we are well stocked at that position. we just need time for the logjam to work itself out there. small forward however, we are not getting enough scoring from that position. why do you think we see delfino in the game so much when parsons isn't having a good shooting night. both harden's and lin's game involve lots of drive and kick plays. we need a small forward who can kill that shot. this is why we struggled when delfino was hurt. this is why we struggle in the half court sometimes. the rockets bigs will be fine given time. I feel good about the PF and C positions on this team. even though I still wouldn't pass on a chance to upgrade with cousins. the SF position however I am still unsettled. this is parsons 2nd year. I would expect if he was going to improve drasticly in shooting we would be seeing some improvement now, but we aren't. parsons still looks like the same player from last year to me. do you really believe the rockets don't already have a shooting coach on the guy? he may improve marginally over time, but we can do better at that position. I am not calling for parsons to be traded. I believe he is still a rotational player for the rockets, just not the starting small forward. again I like parsons, but I would really like parsons a lot more if he shot like bowen did for the spurs. that's why it would be in the rockets best interest to watch for good SF's hitting the trade market. and no rudy gay is not the answer. I like the player, but I can't get pass that contract. it just ties our hands to much. that, and menphis seems to be looking for a kings ransom. however his talents would fit in beautifully with our team.

#40 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,122 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

I'll tell you a player the rockets should make a call on. how about gallinari in denver. I know he stays hurt sometimes, but there's no doubting he can shoot. in addition denver might take less than a kings ransom for him. he's on a much better contract, is young and is wrapped up for the next few years.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trades, deadline, first round

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users