Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Potential Trades

trades deadline first round

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#1 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Is it too early to start thinking about the trade deadline? With morey as the GM, I think not.

What trades do you think we will pull off this deadline. Theres lots of chat about big name signings, but what about smaller things. Maybe another backup guard? Another veteran shooter? try and pick up draft picks for the future?

Will morey go all in at this deadline to try and win this year? or will he be happy with the 4-7th seed in the playoffs, and build through growth? I think delfino might be a trade target for a lot of other contending teams. While he is a great fit for us, I think we would rather have a late first round pick to help facilitate a trade for another all-star.
    and his trade value is at an all time high after some incredible three point shooting performances. Do miami want another shooter? Memphis almost certainly could use him, the warriors might want him.

who else will we trade for, or give up?

#2 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

i think you'll see them rent out their cap space to teams over the limit.

#3 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 699 posts
      • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

As long as we are this good and actually achieving a playoff spot comfortably, I don't see Houston wanting to trade Delfino. I know Morey pulls some surprises always thinking about the whole picture which many of us don't see. Come the trade deadline, let's suppose we are somewhere between 4th and 6th spot, would we jeopardize that chemistry tearing the team apart just to facilitate someone else getting a star?
      I didn't understood this particular signing when it happened, but I came to accept it and right now it's paying off big time, so right now I wouldn't like to see him leave to improve someone else's chance to contend while priving us from one very handy weapon. But then again, Morey is looking way far ahead than us.
      By accident or not, following a line of events, drafting Landry eventually turned into getting Harden, so....no one knows. My opinion is to play this season as it is, with this crew or minor tweaks (like signing Beverley or Anderson cutting Machado and Cook) and next year we'll see. Right now, I'd keep Delfino, pick up that team option (if I'm correct, it's only 3M) if he produces consistently for us the entire season and talk about this again on January 2014.
      I wouldn't mind, although, bringing a guard who plays above average individual defense to play for the second unit. I've said it already in another thread. Houston's team defense is not that bad. Sure, we allow a lot of points, but that's mainly second chance points and points off turnovers. We get a lot of steals, but would be great to have a guard who can complement what Asik brings to the first unit, someone like Tony Allen (not sure about his contractual situation).

#4 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,596 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

What about getting Stat and Shump and maybe a pick for pretty much nothing. I know Stat's contract is a lot to eat, but he's lightyears better than what we currently have and he'll thrive in this pick and roll system with Harden and Lin. He'll also not have to deal with a SF who is a combo SF/PF that takes all of his spots(Melo). It's a big risk with his health, but if they were to do it and he they stay healthy, this team contends for a championship THIS year. Just a thought, and the risk is probably too much but just floating it out there.

Why so Serious? :D

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,125 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

i think you'll see them rent out their cap space to teams over the limit.

That's an intriguing idea....what do you think we could get for said service?

#6 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,596 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

What about giving away a 1st round pick for Derrick Williams(We're looking to be a playoff team so our pick will be in the high 20s)? Our team is young and playing in a system where he'll get open looks might help Derrick Williams. We need a PF and his stock is pretty low. The Wolves are over the cap and if they are out of contention in the coming weeks they might just give him up for cheap.

#7 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 82 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I dont think we can trade our pick this year untill after the season because we owe it to someone (atlanta) if we make the playoffs. even if it doesn't look like we can make playoffs, we still cant trade it, just in case. We gave the toronto and Dallas pick (from jordan hill trade) to OKC along with a second rounder (from charlotte via courtney lee trade) but do we still have any seconds left from the camby trade? If not, then we only have our second rounder in the upcoming draft.

If we were to rent out our cap space for any longer than this season, morey will want a lot in return, because then he won't be able to make a run at any free agents this summer. (then again, unless dwight or CP3 leave their teams, i dont think there are any free agents we could sign to put this team over the edge - Im not too high on smith or jefferson or milsap) Maybe take a 2 year (one and a half left) contract from someone in return for a mid first rounder. like the 16th or so.

#8 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,596 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

We still have our 2014 1st round pick though. Here's a good link for information. http://basketball.re...drafts/detailed

#9 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 82 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

We cant trade our 2014 first round pick untill we know what is happening with our pick this year. Remember you cannot trade firsts in consecutive years, untill the first of those first round picks has been used on a player.

#10 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,596 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Oh. Good point. We may have to give up Delfino in looking for a young, talented PF then.

#11 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 82 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

What about derrick favours? Any chance we could pry him away? he is a good defender, and projects to be a force in the league. Although i think the jazz want to build around him and Kanter and haywood and burks.

#12 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,596 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

What about derrick favours? Any chance we could pry him away? he is a good defender, and projects to be a force in the league. Although i think the jazz want to build around him and Kanter and haywood and burks.

No chance. They have so many expiring contracts in Jefferson and Millsap that they will NEVER give him away unless they get someone like Harden. Which won't happen. But Millsap or Jefferson is a possibility.

#13 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 338 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Depends on what the team feels about Jones and Motie's progress.
              If the team thinks at least one is ready for the rotation then I see either Pat or Morris moved for a First.
              And I can definitely see the Rockets taking on an expiring contract and a First to make someone else's trade work.

As to the salary dump,perhaps Hamilton of Chicago. Only $1mil guaranteed for next yr,nice salary dump for someone at draft,and Chicago has a Charlotte First-lottery protected for a few yrs then completely unprotected in 2016.
              Remotely,Atlanta and either Morrow or Korver(Morrow more likely) for the Rockets 2013 pick back. Straight salary dump for 1 yr.
              Cleveland sending Walton,Miami First for Aldrich.

#14 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 338 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Teams w/multiple Firsts in 2013:
                Atl-their own and Houston's
                Charlotte-likely their own(top 12 Lottery protected),Portland,Detroit
                Chicago-own and Charlotte
                Cleveland-own,Miami,Lakers,Sacramento
                Miami-traded own First,Philly
                Minn-traded own,Memphis
                OKC-own,Dallas,Toronto
                Phoenix-own,Minn,Lakers
                Utah-own,GS

Teams without a 2013 First or cannot trade it because 2014 has been traded:
                Brooklyn(2014 traded)
                Dallas
                Denver(traded 2014,have 2014 NY)
                Detroit
                GS
                Houston
                Lakers
                Memphis
                NY(traded 2014)
                Philly
                Portland
                Sacramento
                Toronto

#15 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 82 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I just remembered Cole Aldrich. Surely he will be going at the deadline. He provides nothing useful, but has an expiring contract of 2.5 (ish) million that could help some other teams who are close to the luxury tax. An expiring contract like that, plus half a season to see if a former number 11 overall pick can play, has got to be worth a contenders first (miami via cleveland as Stephen said).

Also, now that Varajao is most likely too injured to be traded, that makes the market much better for sellers of big men. I don't know how that affects us because i don't know the plan, but it does mean PPat, Aldrich, Morris and Greg smith have more value. (i dont want to trade greg smith, just saying that he has more value now)

#16 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,122 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

this draft is going to be pretty weak so I don't think draft picks are going to carry the same clout as in years past. however considering morey's eye for talent grabbing an extra first rounder might be of interest to him, and even moreso if we have to give ours up this year.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#17 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,865 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

ESPN Insider article today lists the top 10 "trade chips". Included are 3 players the same article considers as potential PF moves the Rockets might consider. Derrick Williams of Minnesota, Amir Johnson of Toronto and Brandon Bass. Jordan Hill is also one of the trade chips but needless to say the Rockets have no interest in his services any longer. Other PF "trade chips" on the top 10 list include Tobias Harris of Milwaukee, Gustavo Ayon of Orlando and Brandon Wright of Dallas. 7/10 of the trade chips are PF's. Seems that Morey and Alexander could have a shopping list of PF's to choose from.

Should the Rockets consider any of these 7 and what are your reasons why they should?

The only one that somewhat interests me is Derrick Williams because of his athleticism and his ability to hit the outside shot. Perhaps a change of scenery to Houston and more playing time would aid in Derrick's development as an elite NBA player.

#18 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 2,596 posts
                    • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Derrick Williams but they would have to give up Delfino to get him and maybe a 2nd rounder.

#19 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 82 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Interestingly, the article talks about amir johnson as being a good value contract. 6.5 mil this year, 7 mil next (i think). To me, that is too much money to pay to a PF who would be our second big off the bench. We have an almost identical player (Smith) on a much better value contract.

I agree Derrick Wiliams is the only person of any interest. None of the other players seem to be much of an upgrade, and while williams wouldn't necessarily be better than what we have, i think he has more potential than any mentioned so far, including our bigs.

#20 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 2,596 posts
                      • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

What do you think of trading for Varejao. I realize he's out until the beginning of March, barring any setbacks, but his stock is EXTREMELY low right now being that it's the third straight season he's missed significant games due to injury. He's an avid rebounder and is hard-working and an energy guy. If he can give that to our young PFs, that's invaluable. Also, he might not cost as much as previously thought. We would probably have to involve a third team that needs a Delfino type player and give up one of our young guys probably Jones or Smith. It's a risk, but his energy and work ethic would do wonders for this team and would vault them into playoff contention. I know we amnestied Scola(who is a little bit worse than Varejao) but that was before we had a real shot this year. A starting 5 of Lin/Harden/Parsons/Varejao/Asik would be very tough to beat, especially if they continue to all get better. Not a one of the Rockets player has peaked, (maybe Delfino).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trades, deadline, first round

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users