Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

In Morey I trust

job evaluation

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Kade:
where are you come out come out where ever you are. lets have this conversation outside of the white thread. I'll get it kicked off.

I can tell from your comments you don't like morey, but your points are unfounded. the yao/mc grady years do not predate morey. he was GM when we traded for mc grady. he was the GM when we brought jeff van gundy here as coach. morey hired adelman. while I don't like every decision morey makes he hasn't done anything that would warrant the rockets considering a change at that position. I didn't like the mc hale hire, but I do see how he can be useful to us in the player developement department. every decision morey has made I may not have liked it, but could understand the logic behind the move. morey's no dummy. I saw where you said OKC didn't take the best deal on the table in the trade for harden. exactly whose deal was better and why in your opinion? since you love what OKC's gm built then you would have to admit he was a dummy for not taking the best offer on the table for harden. presti is no dummy either I will agree on that point, but to say he didn't take the best deal on the table contradicts our agreed opinion of him doesn't it? put any decision on the table morey has made. lets dicuss it. and anyone who want to jump in i'm game :rolleyes:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#2 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

I agree with your premise but just want to point out that Carrol Dawson was the GM both when McGrady was traded for and Van Gundy was hired.

#3 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

my bad :blink: however morey was already in the organization and the heir to the gm job from the monemt of his arrival if i'm not mistaken. les saw something in morey from the time he hired him and (IMO) les is no dummy either. I believe to some degree les has held morey from blowing up this team in years past and that's why some feel morey hasn't excelled at rebuilding this team as fast as they would like. it's hard to rebuild a team when the owner demands you do it while maintaining some form of winning culture. I think that was morey's task and he seems to be excelling at it.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#4 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 709 posts
    • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

I don't see why our proposal wasn't the best fit for OKC. They needed a great scorer coming off the bench, we sent Martin. They needed flexibility, we sent an expiring contract (which they could easily renew for less money, I figure Martin would want to play for a contender instead of making more money at this point of his career). They wanted young prospects, we sent Lamb and three draft picks. So tell me again why wasn't that deal a great one for OKC....it's noted at this point that the deal was great for them too.

#5 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 283 posts
    • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

kade makes my head hurt

#6 Kade

Kade

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 223 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Kade:
      where are you come out come out where ever you are. lets have this conversation outside of the white thread. I'll get it kicked off.

I can tell from your comments you don't like morey, but your points are unfounded. the yao/mc grady years do not predate morey. he was GM when we traded for mc grady. he was the GM when we brought jeff van gundy here as coach. morey hired adelman. while I don't like every decision morey makes he hasn't done anything that would warrant the rockets considering a change at that position. I didn't like the mc hale hire, but I do see how he can be useful to us in the player developement department. every decision morey has made I may not have liked it, but could understand the logic behind the move. morey's no dummy. I saw where you said OKC didn't take the best deal on the table in the trade for harden. exactly whose deal was better and why in your opinion? since you love what OKC's gm built then you would have to admit he was a dummy for not taking the best offer on the table for harden. presti is no dummy either I will agree on that point, but to say he didn't take the best deal on the table contradicts our agreed opinion of him doesn't it? put any decision on the table morey has made. lets dicuss it. and anyone who want to jump in i'm game :rolleyes:

I like Morey but the "we need to keep making the same excuses for Morey" cult following needs to end guys, seriously. i judge the success by playoff wins, building your team to get better, not stagnate or decline and prove by wins that he's a success.
      I am glad we got Harden and GM for OKC should take a hit but here's the thing, he's a master at drafting and using the one of two way rule of being a success in the NBA. Morey doesn't follow those rules so unless there's an unexpected fall off from better teams (LA for example) his way gets you best worst team or if other better teams has a fluke one year fall off scrape into the postseason. Oh and OKC nobody can argue they are easily top three best team in the NBA and been to a finals. Has Morey since he's been here? No.

What has Morey warranted that people think he's one of the best or void of hard criticism? How many years do people over hype most of our picks / young players when they are traded away or never pan out as good as people make them out to be?

Again I like Morey but he's like Billy Bean, someone who is given way more praise than warranted if you judge the success by winning at least one championship. Oakland, nope; Rockets, nope.

We could have YEARS ago stopped with getting just good enough players to waste years and instead be an OKC type team. Can you draft the wrong player in the lottery? Sure but we don't even get that chance because it seems like Morey would rather be average at best than ruin this reputation and have a bad team for a few years.

Morey also got rid of SVG and RA. KM is the answer? Seriously?

FYI as for OKC that Toronto pick is looking better and better. Even if it turns out not to be they have drafted at an incredible rate. I even loved the PJ3 pick which I thought we should have taken a chance on or Sullinger but Morey thought he outsmarted everyone and drafted a player who had NUMEROUS issues with flying, even turning down the chance to play for Kentucky which says more than enough to not draft him.

If you don't think Morey should take a big part of the blame for the White draft I really don't know what else to say.

#7 Kade

Kade

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 223 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

My bad OKC was not to blame, I thought they turned down Harden to Wizards but this says it was the opposite, OKC got a much better deal out of us we should not have sent that TOR draft pick

The Washington Wizards turned down a trade proposal with the Oklahoma City Thunder this summer that would have sent James Harden to Washington, according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post.
        The trade would have sent rookie Bradley Beal and second-year forward Chris Singleton to the Thunder.
        The trade did not happen reportedly because Wizards owner Ted Leonsis did not want to commit an $80 million deal to Harden.

#8 Kade

Kade

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 223 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

I agree with your premise but just want to point out that Carrol Dawson was the GM both when McGrady was traded for and Van Gundy was hired.

correct but this isn't the first time I've heard Morey getting the credit which I think is sort of the point of the complete blind love fest for someone who hasn't warranted it.

Billy Bean and Morey are great to read about and study stats but like Bean both haven't even been in a championship series to date. So?

#9 Kade

Kade

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 223 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

my bad :blink: however morey was already in the organization and the heir to the gm job from the monemt of his arrival if i'm not mistaken. les saw something in morey from the time he hired him and (IMO) les is no dummy either. I believe to some degree les has held morey from blowing up this team in years past and that's why some feel morey hasn't excelled at rebuilding this team as fast as they would like. it's hard to rebuild a team when the owner demands you do it while maintaining some form of winning culture. I think that was morey's task and he seems to be excelling at it.

Les is a great owner? He was owner when the roster was already there for their two championships, it's not as if he took over an awful team and was part of turning it around. What has Les really done?

Major issue also is that if you live in Chicago, LA, NY you demand and expect perfection and let the organization know. Growing up in Houston that never happens except the "Choke City" era. That sort of stuff is written so many times in those cities that expects their teams to be successful. That's not really the case in Houston even the media seems to not want to be critical when it's due.

#10 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,865 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Les is a great owner? He was owner when the roster was already there for their two championships, it's not as if he took over an awful team and was part of turning it around. What has Les really done?

Major issue also is that if you live in Chicago, LA, NY you demand and expect perfection and let the organization know. Growing up in Houston that never happens except the "Choke City" era. That sort of stuff is written so many times in those cities that expects their teams to be successful. That's not really the case in Houston even the media seems to not want to be critical when it's due.

So are you implying that somehow, someway, Les Alexander be fired as the owner of the Rockets? Totally preposterous to say the least.

#11 Kade

Kade

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 223 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

So are you implying that somehow, someway, Les Alexander be fired as the owner of the Rockets? Totally preposterous to say the least.

Not possible just saying he shouldn't be given "he's a great owner" metal when he took over a stocked team and had no bearing on them winning rings

#12 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                • 2,311 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Nothing personal against Kade but when I hear anyone throwing around statements like " Morey needs to do his homework" it is just hard to take the other opinions the person is presenting serious. I mean come on, we are a few informed fans that have varying degrees of informed opinions but does anyone here really believe you would be a better General Manager.

I like what Morey generally does look forward to where we will be by the end of his tenure.
                How sweet it is!

#13 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,865 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

correct but this isn't the first time I've heard Morey getting the credit which I think is sort of the point of the complete blind love fest for someone who hasn't warranted it.

Billy Bean and Morey are great to read about and study stats but like Bean both haven't even been in a championship series to date. So?

Kade obviously dislikes Morey and Leslie Alexander. So with Kade's logic, there are about 25 other NBA GM's that should be immediately fired because their teams haven't won an NBA Championship or been in the NBA FInals within the past 5 years (and their Owners should be "fired" too with that same logic).

Morey became the GM at the end of the 2006-07 season and he was severely hamstrung for the first several years because of contracts he had nothing to do with. So it is clearly unfair to expect Morey to have turned the Rockets into a NBA championship team in such a short time (unless, of course, the Rockets had better luck with not having Yao go down with his injuries, T-Mac getting injured, etc.). Just take a minute and look at the roster of players the Rockets had the early seasons under Morey and compare that to the Rockets roster of today. Then lastly, take into consideration the fact the Rockets are well below the cap with today's roster meaning even more flexibiity in the near future. Morey did not have this luxury the first 5 years as GM.

#14 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,865 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Not possible just saying he shouldn't be given "he's a great owner" metal when he took over a stocked team and had no bearing on them winning rings

Hello, so exactly who was it that approved the blockbuster trade for Clyde Drexler that resulted in our back to back Championships? That was a gutsy move that oftentimes (lke just about everytime in history) never works.

#15 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                    • 2,311 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Rocketrick I completely agree. This notion that as fans we somehow know who should be fired and hired on our teams is ridiculous. We are fans of teams that is all, I suggest you enjoy the ride because fans do not make decisions. This era of sports where somebody always needs to get fired is a joke in my opinion. To think that if a team does not make the playoffs then someone needs to get fired is laughable. Even the comments about how Morey needed to "take the hit" for the White pick is also hard to take serious.
                    How sweet it is!

#16 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,865 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

OK so exacty how many NBA Championships (much less teams in the NBA FInals) has the Chicago Bulls had prior to and after Michael Jordan? And last I checked, the NY Knicks have the exact number of NBA Championships as our Rockets, that being 2.

There's nothing wrong with being critical when it's called for, but simply being critical because our team hasn't won the Championship lately is a bit over the top, Kade. Look at the moves the Rockets under Les Alexander has made. At least we can say with a straight face we have an owner and a GM that are willing to make bold moves. Some teams out there will always be bad because their owners look strictly at the bottom line (profits).

#17 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 353 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

step back guys. i think it's time to campaign for kade to be GM so the rockets can win a championship.

#18 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 2,597 posts
                        • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

What do you think of trading for Varejao. I realize he's out until the beginning of March, barring any setbacks, but his stock is EXTREMELY low right now being that it's the third straight season he's missed significant games due to injury. He's an avid rebounder and is hard-working and an energy guy. If he can give that to our young PFs, that's invaluable. Also, he might not cost as much as previously thought. We would probably have to involve a third team that needs a Delfino type player and give up one of our young guys probably Jones or Smith. It's a risk, but his energy and work ethic would do wonders for this team and would vault them into playoff contention. I know we amnestied Scola(who is a little bit worse than Varejao) but that was before we had a real shot this year. A starting 5 of Lin/Harden/Parsons/Varejao/Asik would be very tough to beat, especially if they continue to all get better. Not a one of the Rockets player has peaked, (maybe Delfino).

Why so Serious? :D

#19 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 4,125 posts
                        • Locationhouston

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

OK so exacty how many NBA Championships (much less teams in the NBA FInals) has the Chicago Bulls had prior to and after Michael Jordan? And last I checked, the NY Knicks have the exact number of NBA Championships as our Rockets, that being 2.

There's nothing wrong with being critical when it's called for, but simply being critical because our team hasn't won the Championship lately is a bit over the top, Kade. Look at the moves the Rockets under Les Alexander has made. At least we can say with a straight face we have an owner and a GM that are willing to make bold moves. Some teams out there will always be bad because their owners look strictly at the bottom line (profits).

wow you left me almost no meat on the bones :lol: however I totally agree on every point. morey is a good gm and les is a good owner. only 1 team will win the championship each year so I guess Kade thinks all other gm's should be fired.

#20 hubeijames

hubeijames

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hello, so exactly who was it that approved the blockbuster trade for Clyde Drexler that resulted in our back to back Championships? That was a gutsy move that oftentimes (lke just about everytime in history) never works.

Clyde only won one championship with Houston, and he wasn't even with us the full season that year.

Then we tried to load with even more superstars to win more, and it didn't work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users