Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (18 April 2019 - 03:41 PM) I agree slick.
@  slick shoes : (17 April 2019 - 01:02 PM) Boogie was their answer to our run in the WCF last year. When we cover all of their shooters they can dump it to Cousins who has a physical advantage over Clint and can also shoot the 3 which pulls him from the rim. They still have Bogut but this takes them back to the W's of last year which our team has shown to match up well against with full strength.
@  Mario Peña : (16 April 2019 - 08:50 PM) I think in a general sense you are correct Johnny. Getting specific to the Rockets though I think we have the personnel to wear Curry down defensively and offensively so for the Rockets could the exit of Cousins be a good thing? To me Cousins also presented a possible matchup wrinkle the Rockets have had to figure out, maybe?
@  thejohnnygold : (16 April 2019 - 04:47 PM) The Cousins injury is very interesting...Not sure if it helps or hurts them. My theory has always been the less Curry shoots the better it is for their opponent. This could lead to more Curry shooting :(
@  redfaithful : (16 April 2019 - 02:59 PM) Is it time to start the discussion which team is more dangerous as the Rockets 2nd round opponent? :D
@  slick shoes : (16 April 2019 - 12:58 PM) Nice win for the Rocke.... Clippers last night. Good to see Bev, Sweet Lou and Trez shining.
@  thejohnnygold : (13 April 2019 - 12:06 AM) I am very much looking forward to the playoffs. I like our chances.
@  thejohnnygold : (13 April 2019 - 12:05 AM) I agree 100%. Still, if that shot rims out...
@  DenverRocket : (12 April 2019 - 02:27 AM) I'd say the slow start was more to blame than a single 3-pointer (we shouldn't have allowed them to get into that position in the first place). Anyway, embrace the challenge I say- bring on the Jazz!
@  thejohnnygold : (11 April 2019 - 02:23 PM) It's hard to accept that one Paul George 3-pointer had that big of an effect on our postseason.
@  slick shoes : (10 April 2019 - 12:21 PM) boy, we really crapped the bed on that one.
@  redfaithful : (09 April 2019 - 09:40 AM) The potential 2nd round series against DEN just got a lot more interesting... https://twitter.com/...384573762760704
@  slick shoes : (04 April 2019 - 06:20 PM) Barring any injuries I think we have a shot. Without Nurk and CJ, they won't be able to contend for anything.
@  thejohnnygold : (04 April 2019 - 06:11 PM) I'm starting to get pretty excited about this team. Also, why does it seem like no one is talking about Portland?
@  slick shoes : (29 March 2019 - 12:54 PM) Nice win last night against the two seed Nugs.
@  Mario Peña : (13 March 2019 - 08:50 PM) Great to see the good news continues. Morey, Beard and Mike need to stay together.
@  slick shoes : (13 March 2019 - 05:28 PM) Morey is back for another 5 years.
@  Losthief : (13 March 2019 - 07:40 AM) well house is back according to macmahon. I am about 10x less excited about this as i would of been two months ago.
@  thejohnnygold : (04 March 2019 - 03:14 PM) A worthwhile read about Harden and the step-back 3.
@  slick shoes : (22 February 2019 - 09:52 PM) Hopefully playing with some talent will bring back the old form.

Photo

2018 FA Thread

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:59 PM

I haven't seen House play, but what little I have read was quite positive.

It's starting to feel like this off season is just getting revved up.

I think there is a good chance Toronto wants whatever LA was putting on the table for Kawhi.  I think they have to wait 60 days, but after that I think we see Kawhi in LA.  Leonard has made it perfectly clear he does not want to be anywhere else.

#62 Noah

Noah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:40 PM

@ JG

Coming from someone who’s watched all summer leage games, House is legit. He can shoot, slash, defend, and is VERY athletic. His only weakness would be his ball handling, which isn’t bad, but he sometimes has trouble generating a move to get past his defender; but the first step is absolutely there. House (along with Melton) was the go-to option in that last game when things were grinding out and the game was tight. That speaks volumes. Hope we get em, perfect Ariza (or backup 3) replacement.

#63 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:00 PM

@ JG

Coming from someone who’s watched all summer leage games, House is legit. He can shoot, slash, defend, and is VERY athletic. His only weakness would be his ball handling, which isn’t bad, but he sometimes has trouble generating a move to get past his defender; but the first step is absolutely there. House (along with Melton) was the go-to option in that last game when things were grinding out and the game was tight. That speaks volumes. Hope we get em, perfect Ariza (or backup 3) replacement.

Sounds good to me!  Tucker, Green, House, MCW...I think we can make that work for a platoon of wings.

#64 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:02 PM

Wow, I certainly did not expect OKC to be willing to choose to be higher in the luxury tax the next couple of seasons by choosing to trade Carmelo rather than just outright waiving him this season.

Good for them and their ownership to be willing to have like the highest, or at minimum a top 2-3 highest, team salary plus exhorbitant luxury tax this season with very little relief next season.

Schroder could end up being a shrewd move for them, only time will tell. OKC has had an interesting off season and will definitely be a tough out in the playoffs this upcoming season.

Edited by rocketrick, 20 July 2018 - 05:03 PM.

#65 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:10 PM

Don't forget James Ennis.

I would think PJ Tucker will end up playing the 4 more times than not but if Carmelo ends up in H-town I could see them (PJ and Carmelo) switching back and forth. Carmelo is better suited for the 4 in most matchups, so will be interesting to see if PJ can handle the 3 more this upcoming season 

Sounds good to me!  Tucker, Green, House, MCW...I think we can make that work for a platoon of wings.

#66 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:17 PM

If I was LA Lakers, I would just wait for 2019-2020 for Kawhi Leonard to arrive as a free agent without having to give up any of their young developing players and draft picks. Kawhi has already made it pretty clear he wants to end up in la la land.

I know everyone including me thought Paul George was going to la la land and not staying in OKC. But we have to hand it to OKC, they have a strong franchise top to bottom with excellent management and coaching. Their players have bought in and that makes a huge difference in regards to ultimate success in the NBA. I don't think they have quite enough to win a title, but any team headed by Westbrook and George has a legitimate chance IMO.

I haven't seen House play, but what little I have read was quite positive.

It's starting to feel like this off season is just getting revved up.

I think there is a good chance Toronto wants whatever LA was putting on the table for Kawhi.  I think they have to wait 60 days, but after that I think we see Kawhi in LA.  Leonard has made it perfectly clear he does not want to be anywhere else.

#67 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:51 AM

coaching

I disagree wholeheartedly here. Which is OKC's main problem as no one can/is willing to reign in Westbrook. Westbrook talent wise is a top 3 player in the nba (lebron, durant, then westbrook imo from a pure physical gifts standpoint), but he doesn't elevate his team on either side of the ball except individually. Dropping his overall impact down into the top 10 range at best. This is the essence of coaching to bridge that gap.

That said Schroeder should bring a similar impact as Reggie Jackson used to which will be a huge upgrade for the team. But I agree they'll be a tough nut to crack.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#68 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

No doubt Westbrook is a special player. I'm not sure I totally agree with your take on blaming his coaches for unable to reign him in. Certainly when KD was in OKC that is a reasonable argument. It's clear KD is more trusting of his teammates once he joined Golden State. That seems to continue to be a primary issue with Westbrook, his inability to not totally trust his teammates.

I have never been a big fan of NBA teams hiring college coaches. However, Brad Stevens is proving me wrong in Boston, although he still needs to accomplish championships before anyone can say that was a totally great hire. OKC hiring Billy Donavan from the college ranks could very well be the second best hire thus far from being the head coach for a college team to a top NBA team.

I'm still far from convinced either Stevens or Donavan can put their franchises over the top in the near future. Only time will tell.

However, I do disagree a bit with LT in regards to Donavan so far not being able to reign in Westbrook. Again, I believe a significant reason is Westbrook's lack of trust to date.

OKC convincing Paul George to sign with the Thunder rather than join LeBron in la la land speaks very loudly to me. It appears Paul George has bought in to the coaching and the environment going forward in OKC over his dream of playing for the Lakers in the prime of his career.

I believe this is the best post-KD roster that OKC has put together and having 2 top 10 players on their roster should excite their fans for the next 2-3 seasons at minimum and be a challenge for anyone else in the West to knock out in the playoffs.

#69 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:21 PM

I do agree with Noah. Unfortunately, Golden State already signed House. As I stated in prior posts, House is a legit NBA player.

It is good news to hear the Rockets are shopping Ryan Anderson. Ryan is much better in the regular season based on his history. Of course, matchups make a huge difference in success. The NBA is simply heavy on Wings and 3 and D and switching, etc. right now. Not that long ago, players like Kevin Love and Ryan Anderson were in high demand. Cleveland may regret that big contract they just agreed to with Kevin Love. Only time will tell.

Long story short, the NBA is always evolving and continuously in change mode, etc.

Patience is always the key. Something better may come along around the time of the Trade Deadline next February. Then there is the cycle of contract buyouts after that prior to Playoff season. 

@ JG

#70 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:17 PM

http://www.espn.com/...radeId=y8l9lyhk

Who says no?!

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#71 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:17 AM

I'm pretty sure New Orleans does...

I can't see them making a move before Boston can enter the game this Summer...unless LA gives up all their young assets (Ball, Kuzma, and Ingram).  

Now, in a recent interview Morey alludes to the fact that we possess all of our 1st's moving forward and that he intends to be aggressive with them, but I still think we don't have enough.  Maybe if we still had Melton plus the firsts and a couple of players...but I think New Orleans can expect better if they wait until the Summer.

#72 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:30 PM

I think the 1sts could get us jrue maybe once the move AD. Assuming AD moves this summer (most likely):

Knight and Nene (expiring contracts at that point for 2019-2020) and 3mil more somewhere probably young players/drafted guys. Add in a couple 1sts. They get assets and off jrue's contract. (4 years left).

Jrue hits ballhandling, defense, and should be gettable with injury history/age for rebuild.

Also he hits the perfect age range harden.

A gordon-paul-harden-jrue 3 guard lineup should be plenty good.

If we can though, I'd throw the same trade together w/ gordon in it and get back mirotic plus jrue if mirotic re-signs at a reasonable number (say 15 mil or less). I'd even consider throwing in an extra pick at that point.

jrue-harden-paul

house-green-ennis-edwards-whoever on vet min

tucker-mirotic-clark (clark and tucker could do sf too)

capela-faired (if resigns)-harenstien-whoever on vet min

Doesn't help us this year obv, but that would be a killer setup for going forward long term imho.

Edited by Losthief, 01 February 2019 - 09:31 PM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#73 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:00 AM

I wouldn't give up two firsts for Jrue. If its just one 1st, I think I'd rather have Mirotic. I'm not sure.

#74 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,439 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:11 PM

That’s looks pretty good Losthief but I’m with Rahat. Mirotic is the one Morey could steal if the right circumstances arise. For me though it’s never been more clear that we need height.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users