Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (18 April 2019 - 03:41 PM) I agree slick.
@  slick shoes : (17 April 2019 - 01:02 PM) Boogie was their answer to our run in the WCF last year. When we cover all of their shooters they can dump it to Cousins who has a physical advantage over Clint and can also shoot the 3 which pulls him from the rim. They still have Bogut but this takes them back to the W's of last year which our team has shown to match up well against with full strength.
@  Mario Peña : (16 April 2019 - 08:50 PM) I think in a general sense you are correct Johnny. Getting specific to the Rockets though I think we have the personnel to wear Curry down defensively and offensively so for the Rockets could the exit of Cousins be a good thing? To me Cousins also presented a possible matchup wrinkle the Rockets have had to figure out, maybe?
@  thejohnnygold : (16 April 2019 - 04:47 PM) The Cousins injury is very interesting...Not sure if it helps or hurts them. My theory has always been the less Curry shoots the better it is for their opponent. This could lead to more Curry shooting :(
@  redfaithful : (16 April 2019 - 02:59 PM) Is it time to start the discussion which team is more dangerous as the Rockets 2nd round opponent? :D
@  slick shoes : (16 April 2019 - 12:58 PM) Nice win for the Rocke.... Clippers last night. Good to see Bev, Sweet Lou and Trez shining.
@  thejohnnygold : (13 April 2019 - 12:06 AM) I am very much looking forward to the playoffs. I like our chances.
@  thejohnnygold : (13 April 2019 - 12:05 AM) I agree 100%. Still, if that shot rims out...
@  DenverRocket : (12 April 2019 - 02:27 AM) I'd say the slow start was more to blame than a single 3-pointer (we shouldn't have allowed them to get into that position in the first place). Anyway, embrace the challenge I say- bring on the Jazz!
@  thejohnnygold : (11 April 2019 - 02:23 PM) It's hard to accept that one Paul George 3-pointer had that big of an effect on our postseason.
@  slick shoes : (10 April 2019 - 12:21 PM) boy, we really crapped the bed on that one.
@  redfaithful : (09 April 2019 - 09:40 AM) The potential 2nd round series against DEN just got a lot more interesting... https://twitter.com/...384573762760704
@  slick shoes : (04 April 2019 - 06:20 PM) Barring any injuries I think we have a shot. Without Nurk and CJ, they won't be able to contend for anything.
@  thejohnnygold : (04 April 2019 - 06:11 PM) I'm starting to get pretty excited about this team. Also, why does it seem like no one is talking about Portland?
@  slick shoes : (29 March 2019 - 12:54 PM) Nice win last night against the two seed Nugs.
@  Mario Peña : (13 March 2019 - 08:50 PM) Great to see the good news continues. Morey, Beard and Mike need to stay together.
@  slick shoes : (13 March 2019 - 05:28 PM) Morey is back for another 5 years.
@  Losthief : (13 March 2019 - 07:40 AM) well house is back according to macmahon. I am about 10x less excited about this as i would of been two months ago.
@  thejohnnygold : (04 March 2019 - 03:14 PM) A worthwhile read about Harden and the step-back 3.
@  slick shoes : (22 February 2019 - 09:52 PM) Hopefully playing with some talent will bring back the old form.

Photo

2018 FA Thread

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:10 PM

Truthfully I would already have simply pulled the money off the table in front of Capela and his agent by now....The Warriors were fouling Capela early in the 4th quarter of Game 7 to prevent the Rockets from even attempting a 3 point shot to narrow the margin..........

#42 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

My prediction for whatever it may be worth, probably more on the worthless side, still I choose to digress..........

Hartenstein before Zhou going forward. 

Hartenstein has clearly shown the heart and the desire to succeed.....

Ignoring the Melo part--which I am still trying to make peace with--we have also added Michael Carter-Williams.  Assuming he can bring some energy to defense he has a great body to defend the perimeter, he can switch everything, and, offensively, we get a ball-handler who can create a little for others and maybe, just maybe, knock down a corner 3.  That takes some of the sting out of losing Moute/Ariza.  (The reality is we are going to watch him slowly build a house on our court....brick by brick by brick...)

So, we've got Harden, CP3, Gordon, MCW, Gerald Green, and Tucker (who can play 2-5...which is nice) plus Melton

In the front court we've got "Contract Year" Capela, Nene, Anderson, Melo (maybe), and possibly Tarik Black plus Onuaku, Hartenstein, and Zhou.

I do think Zhou sees floor time this year, but we need to play him at SF because he just does not have the body to play inside with the big boys.  That's ok though because it suits his skill set better.  He is better playing as a weak-side/help defender.  He can launch 3's or cut to the rim for easy scores.  His size makes him a formidable perimeter defender (at least for team defense--which we now play).

Besides, we've got gritty rebounders like Tucker to pick up the slack.

Jeff Bzdelik proved his coaching chops last year by creating and implementing a near-perfect plan to beat an "unbeatable" team.  He can get these guys in shape by the time the playoffs roll around.

De'Anthony Melton is going to be good.  Hopefully, he can crack the rotation because I think we need to get him minutes early and often.

I know it feels like we're moving in the wrong direction, but we're still loaded.  We're still one of the top teams in the NBA.  Let's see what kind of rabbit Morey pulls out of his hat.  One thing we know for certain--he's not just sitting on his hands.

Edited by rocketrick, 10 July 2018 - 03:22 PM.

#43 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:47 PM

Capela and his agent expect like $80-$85 miillion for the next 4 years. To Roll to the bucket for a wide open dunk. And an occasional block n the lane in this era of non- paint finishers like Kareem and so, so, so many others..... Capela is not Olajuwon. Not even close. Has anybody witnessed a fade away shot from Capela 10 feet or less from the lane? Just saying.........

The Rockets have placed more than $50 million for 4 years on the table. Nobody chooses to report that fact.

That's a lot of money and I really don't know what else to say or comment on at this time.......

He is looking for 4yr/$100 mil for his services. Can't blame a guy for believing in himself, and that's why there are contract negotiations. Both sides give a little, and an agreement is reached. Once Clint sees the current landscape, he will come down on his price or gamble on himself playing the last year of his current contract and see where he stands next July. 

Clint's roll to the rim creates so much for our offense. Guys can't cheat off of him to double up on James because we will punish them with the PnR all night long. Yes, I wish there was a baby sky hook or a mid-range turnaround jumper in his bag, but that is not the direction of an NBA center (especially with this team). We're not running post ups, so we don't need him shooting fadeaway Dirks. His FT's could use some work, but remember how awful he was when he first came to the league? He is great at doing exactly what we ask of him and that is why he is crucial to our success. 

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#44 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:13 PM

I have no doubt, 0 doubt, how else can I just talk plain? I still enjoy listening to Pink Floyd's "Money" in case there is any doubt.....

Capela and his agent would like a 4 year $100 million plus dollar contract but that simply is not possible with the current NBAPA. It's closer to $80 million.

Regardless, Capela in my opinion is not worth that kind of money right now. He is very, very young with lots of potential.

I very seriously doubt he wlll maximize his game going forward with any other team in the NBA.

It's still (for now) a free country so of course Capela and his agent should consider any and all options. The Rockets are offering north of $50 million for limited talents and in the meanwhile Capela is still at the end of earning the $50 million in his mid-20's. Let's assume Capela continues to improve his game those next 4 years. Including hitting meaningful free throws so that teams like the Warriors choose NOT to foul him on purpose in Game 5's or 7's going forward, just saying........Capela is good no matter what.....

Edited by rocketrick, 10 July 2018 - 04:21 PM.

#45 DenverRocket

DenverRocket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

Chill out. His agent is doing his job (Adams got 4 years at $100mill), the front office are doing their job - eventually a compromise will be reached (my bet, 4 years for 75 mill with a player option in the final year).

I've watched a little bit of the summer league games so far. RJ Hunter is looking very good and I think he'll crack the rotation. Melton also looks very good. I didn't see Hartenstein, he sat last night with an ankle sprain, but Zhou Qi is making positive steps.

Morey was interviewed and as expected sounded like they have everything under control. Melo + an unidentified wing player (my guess is Bazemore/Courtney Lee or Crabbe in trade for Ryno), with support from the youngsters.

"I could never understand national or ethnic pride, 'cos to me pride should be preserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth!" - George Carlin.

#46 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:32 PM

Awesome news...............or possibly RT??.............Capela player option in the 4th year? Wow..... Fake Headline News.

$100 million for Capela ain't happening Dudes.

Again, I repeat myself, $100 millon for Capela ain't happening.

Let's see what the Rockets choose with Summer League in regards to contracts going forward. 

Hartenstein looks like the  real deal but what the hell do I know................

#47 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:36 PM

Let's try and look at this from a macro lens.

Giving Capela $100M would not be that bad of a deal in a vacuum.  I think he is more than a rim runner/shot blocker/rebounder.  He has shown more already.  He's going to add muscle, experience, and should improve across the board over the next 2-3 years before peaking.  He does a lot for this team on both ends of the floor.

I would like to think we will settle in the middle around $80M/year, but who knows.

Now, Morey has to be looking at this long term.  We've got Capela for the next year no matter what.  He will be playing for that $100M contract he wants so there is no worry about his performance.  In the meantime, Morey has some aces up his sleave: Zhou/Hartenstein and next year's free agency.

By this time next year one, if not both, of Zhou and Hartenstein will definitely be ready to step in and start for us.  Zhou's ceiling is the highest.  He's got everything except mass.  If he can put on any bulk we're set.  Zhou will lead the league in blocks if he ever gets a starting gig in the NBA.  

Hartenstein looks like a solid player, but he's never sniffing an all-star game nor All-NBA team.

In free agency, there are plenty of options at center next year.  No need to panic.

Lastly, signing Capela to whatever contract he wants is not a bad idea.  Assuming he holds his value that will be a fairly easy contract to trade considering how many teams seem to always need an upgrade at center.  We can trade Capela for a good player or two and still have Zhou/Hartenstein step in.

I don't know.  I think I am comfortable whichever way it goes.

#48 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:08 PM

Well, another ho-hum signing.  We inked James Ennis to a 2-year deal.  None of his numbers blow me away...or even make me think this was a great idea.  Someone convince me otherwise.

#49 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:44 PM

Plus side he's not Nick Young, negative side he was only ok for a Detroit team that was desperately trying and failed to make the playoffs in the east.

If he's the 7th man fine, if he's a starter thats not great.

#50 DenverRocket

DenverRocket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:50 AM

Well, another ho-hum signing.  We inked James Ennis to a 2-year deal.  None of his numbers blow me away...or even make me think this was a great idea.  Someone convince me otherwise.

Age, contract, upside, plus he's played for Bzdelik at Memphis, so he must like him. He's a good defender and good corner 3 point shooter, so he fits the bill. I'm not blown away, but I'm not disappointed.

"I could never understand national or ethnic pride, 'cos to me pride should be preserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth!" - George Carlin.

#51 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:44 PM

Well, what do I know? The Rockets are reportedly already at $85 million/4 years for Capela and right now Capela is saying NO. IMO that is too rich, But hey, if the Rockets and Capela agree to $85 million or a bit above, I'm just a fan that clearly does not know what Morey and the Rockets insiders know going forward. 

I personally don't see it but if Capela can become a 70% free throw shooter and not have to be substituted out of a Game 6 or a Game 7 late in the 4th quarter.............and has, or can, develop a mid range shot, I'm all in. They would know better than me if that is possible.

BTW, Ennis is a no brainer. It's basically a Veteran's Minimum with a Player Option (20% more than this year is the max) for next season. Why not?

Edited by rocketrick, 12 July 2018 - 03:46 PM.

#52 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:53 PM

It is interesting to note that we just flipped roughly $20M worth of Ariza and Moute for roughly $3.6M worth of Carter-Williams and Ennis.

Is the Ariza/Moute combo 5X better than the MCW/Ennis combo?  Highly unlikely.  In terms of the cap, Morey made a good call.

In terms of basketball....I guess we'll see...

#53 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:57 PM

minimum deal. shoots fine (avg, think Luc) from the corners (except for in DET end of last year (20ish games)). Which is DET.....who can blame him....also they have horrible spacing. His 6'7 and only 28 (minutes/health better than Luc/Ariza probably).

Is he a starter.....no, can he give you regular season minutes yeah.....still need a ariza replacement but he probably fills the Luc role (if a bit less effective).

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#54 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:03 PM

Jimmy Butler just declined an extension in MIN. If we aren't already making calls to his agent, I don't know what I'll say about this offseason. 

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#55 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

That could be interesting......next summer. Free Agency 2019 is gonna be crazy! Quite a few options (players) plus much more money next summer!

Still, I honestly don't see how Jimmy Butler fits in Houston #1 and why would he come here because he will surely find a much better contract elsewhere next summer?

Jimmy Butler just declined an extension in MIN. If we aren't already making calls to his agent, I don't know what I'll say about this offseason. 

#56 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:31 PM

he's from tomball area iirc. Not that that has to mean anything....but it could.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#57 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:44 PM

The rumors are that he and Kyrie want to team up.  Brooklyn is going to have a ton of cap space next year plus a little bit of young talent (Harris, Allen, & Lavert).  I could see them going there.  Assuming Hollis-Jefferson & Russell opt-out and Crabbe opts in, they will have a ton of their cap space to work with.  In a Summer with so much talent, that's a good thing.

Watch out for Brooklyn a year from now.

#58 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

I have to believe that the Kawhi trade was not made by Masai Ujiri alone.  In fact, I think the owner must have pushed for this harder than he did.  Everyone knows he's going to LA after next season (I know...we knew that about Paul George too, but Paul George did not have a $200M shoe deal waiting for him).

This is how GM's lose their jobs.  In all fairness, I think DeRozan is an over-rated "star" and Poetl is just scraps.  Still, I would like to think that you could dangle Derozan and get something better than 1 year of Kawhi.  It feels like a panic move and it most likely gets them nothing more than they would have in the playoffs--getting bounced by the Celtics.

The Raptors will be interesting next year.  Lowry, Leonard, Anunoby, Ibaka and Valanciunas is a good starting 5.  Plus, I think they slide Nogueira in for Valanciunas and suddenly become a scary good squad on both ends.  They need to find some depth, but after that they should be able to compete in the East (until they meet the C's in the playoffs, that is).

I'm not certain what San Antonio is up to.  If I were them, I'd sell anything I had for draft picks and prospects...I think we may see LMA and Co. all get shipped out sooner than later.

Hmmmm....I wonder if a tanking Spurs team would accept Ryno's contract plus a pick/prospect for LMA straight up?  I know he's kind of the anti-Rocket, but that's an upgrade at PF any way you slice it.  Also, guess who has been drilling corner 3's the past 2 seasons....LMA!!!  44% and 47%, respectively.

San Antonio's roster is...weird.  So, they've got Murray, Derozan, Green, LMA, and Gasol?  Gay, Bellinelli, and Mills off the bench?  Does that even get you to the 8th seed in the West?  I don't think so.  What are you doing San Antonio?!?!?

#59 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:19 PM

Rodney Hood has interest in joining Houston. Just unfortunate we only have the $4.7 million  option available plus the NBA rules of only a 20% maximum increase the following season.

So a really, really, really low likelihood.

I do envision Rodney Hood having a successful season in Houston. It just may be at the very, very best a 1 and done deal if we even can somehow steal Rodney Hood from Cleveland.

Rodney Hood is a Restricted Free Agent so Cleveland can match which should be no problem for them.

#60 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

Hmmm, maybe I need to revisit the CBA to see what happens money wise if the Rockets choose to outright waive Ryan Anderson. Sure, it could be stretched for 3 seasons so like a $13 million hit for the next 3 years (there is a formula and the first year is gonna be higher).

Still, that could free up a bit more money for Rodney Hood going forward.

Like I said, this is governed by the CBA.

Should the Rockets be able to find more money for 1-2 more years, Rodney Hood could become a Rocket (assuming Cleveland chooses not to match since Hood is a RFA).

So far, Hood is more an offensive threat than a defensive stopper. Perhaps with some solid coaching, Hood could become more valuable going forward as a legitimate 2 way player in the NBA?

Otherwise, I think the Rockets sign D House going forward. He is too good not to be on someone's roster by the start of the upcoming season IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users