Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/

Photo

Jordan, Matthews to Mavericks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 majik19

majik19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:36 PM

So I completely understand the deals Dallas gave to Jordan and Matthews. No doubt that they are a better defensive team next year. They also really had to do those deals to stay relevant in the Dirk era.

HOWEVER, I don't see who initiates their offense. A huge part of Jordan's success was due to Chris Paul. A large part of Matthews' success was because of Lillard's ability to create. Dirk is not a creator, Matthews is not a creator, Jordan obviously isn't.

I keep hearing that Dallas wants Parsons to play "point forward." What the hell makes them think that Parsons can do that? I remember Parsons being an above average slasher on the secondary action (e.g. Harden drives and kicks to Parsons who then drives. We saw Ariza be terrible at this same action this year) I distinctly remember a few games where we did give Parsons the keys a little bit (didn't we do this against Portland in the playoffs?) and he was awful, a turnover machine. 

I think, without someone who can really suck in a defense on the drive, the Mavericks will struggle on offense. They don't really have a pick and roll partner for Jordan, where he thrives. 

I read on ESPN that someone said this hurts the Clippers more than it helps the Mavs. I agree entirely with that assessment. The Clippers' already pathetic front court has just taken a huge hit. They almost have to trade Crawford for a 5. They may try playing Griffin at the 5, but that's not sustainable over a whole season. 

Overall, I expect both teams to compete with the Pelicans for the bottom half of the Western Conference playoffs, while the Trailblazer drop out.  

What does everyone else think?

#2 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 341 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:56 PM

HOWEVER, I don't see who initiates their offense. A huge part of Jordan's success was due to Chris Paul. A large part of Matthews' success was because of Lillard's ability to create. Dirk is not a creator, Matthews is not a creator, Jordan obviously isn't.

I keep hearing that Dallas wants Parsons to play "point forward." What the hell makes them think that Parsons can do that? I remember Parsons being an above average slasher on the secondary action (e.g. Harden drives and kicks to Parsons who then drives. We saw Ariza be terrible at this same action this year) I distinctly remember a few games where we did give Parsons the keys a little bit (didn't we do this against Portland in the playoffs?) and he was awful, a turnover machine. 

I think, without someone who can really suck in a defense on the drive, the Mavericks will struggle on offense. They don't really have a pick and roll partner for Jordan, where he thrives.

Dude, theyre looking at Jeremy Lin. Problem solved.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#3 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 341 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:04 PM

lol @ mark cuban

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,125 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:32 PM

lol @ mark cuban

Mavs fans must be dying right now.  I think DJ sticks with Dallas, but if he does decide to sign with LA...wow.

In random news, I had a strange dream last night that we had acquired Austin Rivers.   :wacko:

#5 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 144 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:37 PM

It is really hard to choose which alternative i like best the demise of the clips or sad mark cuban. Cuban's tears are addictive!

#6 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 341 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:56 AM

I think my favorite part of the whole thing is now there are essentially NO decent bigs on the market and Dallas will be forced to start someone like.... Joey Dorsey?

#7 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 267 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:39 PM

I think my favorite part of the whole thing is now there are essentially NO decent bigs on the market and Dallas will be forced to start someone like.... Joey Dorsey?

Or Dirk at center!

Reportedly, Cuban told Matthews he could back out if he wanted to. I think Cuban secretly wanted him to so they could rebuild... even if they trade for Hibbert, that team is not making the Western playoffs. Plus, they owe Boston a 1st round pick, top 7 protected next year... they'd be better off keeping it, hoping for a stud, and trying again next year to pair someone with Dirk. 

#8 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 341 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:44 PM

Reportedly, Cuban told Matthews he could back out if he wanted to. I think Cuban secretly wanted him to so they could rebuild... even if they trade for Hibbert, that team is not making the Western playoffs. Plus, they owe Boston a 1st round pick, top 7 protected next year... they'd be better off keeping it, hoping for a stud, and trying again next year to pair someone with Dirk. 

" I'll be brutally honest. Literally, we wanted to get Wes, he was a target for us all summer and we wanted to get DeAndre as well, but if we got shut out, we weren't going to try and fill the roster. We literally had the discussion that if we couldn't get a serious free agent, whether it was DeAndre or one of the others guys that are still out there or any of the earlier ones that went, that it was time to take a step back. The reason why we thought this year versus other years was simple math. Over the last few years, there was a race to the bottom with six or seven teams trying to have the worst record, but most of those teams have improved themselves significantly through the draft or free agency or both, or just getting better and playing better together like Orlando.

We felt like this year there aren't going to be six teams in the race together, especially in the Western Conference. Utah's significantly better, Sacramento is significantly better, Denver is even going to be significantly better with Gallinari being healthy and etc. ... who was going to be that team that was going to be really, really, really bad no matter what? Because I think there's only going to be two, maybe three teams in that race to the bottom, we said, "OK, this could be our David Robinson year" and we go out and get someone who we think we can develop and who is supposed to be an impact player and we take our lumps, we have lots of cap room and we do lots of trades to add lots of draft picks. Because draft picks, the way the cap is going, is only going to increase in value significantly. Fortunately that didn't happen!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users