Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Astros Thread

Astros Baseball

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:20 PM

The Houston Astros are almost worth watching as of this season. After sucking profusely the last few seasons, I've been following them out of sheer curiosity and have to say it's holding my attention. Any thoughts?

#2 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

I was quite a fan in my younger years. My dad had season seats for years through his company and we attended every game we could. Year after year, we would play great in the regular season, and then just completely fall on our face in the post season. I'll give you that we made it to the series, but we were SWEPT by the Chicago White Sox for pete's sake! Just got tired of having my heart broken, so I moved on to the Rockets (irony much?). I will say that I am very glad to see my childhood team finally becoming relevant again. Hopefully the groove they've found will stick. Loving all the young talent we hsve coming up through the farm system.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#3 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

I finally noticed when the rockets lost. I mean I knew the record and like half the starters...but not really why they were winning. I was kind of just supposing they were getting lucky (schedule, over the heads play, etc). But, the more i've read/looked into it the more excited I have become. Still think we need 1 or 2 more pitchers eventually, but I love our defensive fielding and our hitting is exciting if not efficient.

I stopped watching closely after the killer b's although I followed the team a bit still. I have actually started watching games again this week for the first time in years and I am going to a game at the end of this month. So...still only a passive fan imo (unlike the rockets who I still look at stuff everyday right now for lol), but they're on the radar again. I have them in the similar category fanwise as the dynamo for me (behind the rockets and texans). I'll watch them if im not busy and I enjoy going to the games (yes to the dynamo and im expecting for these astros a yes as well).

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#4 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:18 AM

It's been fun to keep up with them so far.  I've been to 1 game so far this year, but only watched a handful on TV(primarily after the Rockets started vacation).  I have kept up with nearly every game with the CBS sports app notifying me constantly, and it's been incredibly fun watching them(much like tonight) come back and win games late, as well as the ones we've dominated early.  

I'll probably attend a few games during the summer, waiting on football to finally get going again.  

It'd sure be nice if we had a year where all 3 franchises were doing well.  

#5 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 69 posts
    • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

It would be interesting to see all three Houston teams in the playoffs, starting with the Astros this year. 

#6 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 342 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:35 PM

It would be interesting to see all three Houston teams in the playoffs, starting with the Astros this year. 

Looks like the Texans are the only theoretical possibility of ruining the trifecta. 

'Stros need to get their bats going to back up the pitching and defense. Why is Chris Carter still on the roster and Tucker being sent down? 

#7 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 474 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:47 AM

Ask and you shall recieve: http://espn.go.com/m...ameId=350825110

LoSTHieF

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,125 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:14 PM

Ask and you shall recieve: http://espn.go.com/m...ameId=350825110

I think ESPN's new format may have betrayed you....maybe it's me.  I did not find the answers I sought.   :(

#9 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 342 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

I think ESPN's new format may have betrayed you....maybe it's me.  I did not find the answers I sought.   :(

I assume hes referring to the INCREDIBLE amount of runs scored.

#10 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,125 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

I assume hes referring to the INCREDIBLE amount of runs scored.

Ah, I see that now.  I thought he was responding to the 2nd part about Carter/Tucker.

#11 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 342 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

Ah, I see that now.  I thought he was responding to the 2nd part about Carter/Tucker.

Looking at the box score, Carter had two at bats and struck out looking (per usual) and lined out to third. Well done, sir.

#12 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 474 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:24 AM

yeah was talking about the runs (or bats/homers). But just turn carter's strikeouts into a drinking game. He either hits well or you get so drunk you don't care anymore!

LoSTHieF

#13 bernardo

bernardo

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 62 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:24 PM

Partially related question with the topic: why do the americans (sorry if it sounds a little bit stereotypical) complain so much about soccer being boring and then follow baseball? For me, it's like the most boring sport I have ever seen. By a landslide.

#14 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 342 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:44 PM

Partially related question with the topic: why do the americans (sorry if it sounds a little bit stereotypical) complain so much about soccer being boring and then follow baseball? For me, it's like the most boring sport I have ever seen. By a landslide.

To be quite honest, most residents of the states that I know personally don't follow baseball either. It is a long, slow game with moments of excitement followed by a 20 minute snooze festival.

I work in an office that is very internationally diverse and the debate about footie has come up quite a few times. Most complain that the entire match can go on for 90+ minutes and result in a draw. I think a lack of understanding of the rules/strategy is a big contributor as well. This was discussed in the World Cup thread last summer and my main conclusion is that they (I use they because I am quite the football/soccer fan myself) don't understand the nuances of the game. I suppose the same could be said about baseball though. There is my two cents.

Edited by slick shoes, 02 September 2015 - 12:45 PM.

#15 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 474 posts
      • LocationHouston

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:01 AM

American sports fandom is steeped in the idea of loyalty to a fanbase (much like soccer in europe). Unfortunately, US futbol (soccer) leagues haven't been around or lasted very long meaning there is no investment. Its what keeps baseball going, people/families have been pulling for the same team for so long it feels obligatory.

That said, as more and more kids play soccer/football in the US more and more understand the game enough to enjoy watching it. And the kids grow up watching/going to the games more. Case and point heres a demographic with age percentages of fanbases from 2013: http://opendorse.com...n-demographics/

Older people for the most part don't watch MLS. The largest percentage of total fanbase for any sport that 2-17 (kids) hold is MLS.

Also interest is growing as you can see because Premier League and even Bundgelisia (sp?) League games are getting on daytime weekend TV (in the case of PL even on network channels). Which they don't fill even during off-seasons in the other sports just willy nilly. If a movie re-run or golf/tennis/etc would garner more viewers they would show that.

Heres another chart of demos for sports in US from 2014: http://www.theatlant...st-fans/283626/

Again, essentially older groups (large percent here in the US watching on TV not bars/etc are the baby boomer generation) don't watch NHL, NBA, and MLS. Those 3 sports skew to a younger audience as a percentage of there demo make-up. If the MLS doesn't lose people eventually they'll add the old demographic in and gain total numbers...but if someone wants more of an explanation we should probably start another thread. FYI to tie into baseball/astros, MLB is experiencing the exact opposite, skewing older.

Edited by Losthief, 04 September 2015 - 02:02 AM.

LoSTHieF

#16 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 342 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:15 PM

American sports fandom is steeped in the idea of loyalty to a fanbase (much like soccer in europe). Unfortunately, US futbol (soccer) leagues haven't been around or lasted very long meaning there is no investment. Its what keeps baseball going, people/families have been pulling for the same team for so long it feels obligatory.

That said, as more and more kids play soccer/football in the US more and more understand the game enough to enjoy watching it. And the kids grow up watching/going to the games more. Case and point heres a demographic with age percentages of fanbases from 2013: http://opendorse.com...n-demographics/

Older people for the most part don't watch MLS. The largest percentage of total fanbase for any sport that 2-17 (kids) hold is MLS.

Also interest is growing as you can see because Premier League and even Bundgelisia (sp?) League games are getting on daytime weekend TV (in the case of PL even on network channels). Which they don't fill even during off-seasons in the other sports just willy nilly. If a movie re-run or golf/tennis/etc would garner more viewers they would show that.

Heres another chart of demos for sports in US from 2014: http://www.theatlant...st-fans/283626/

Again, essentially older groups (large percent here in the US watching on TV not bars/etc are the baby boomer generation) don't watch NHL, NBA, and MLS. Those 3 sports skew to a younger audience as a percentage of there demo make-up. If the MLS doesn't lose people eventually they'll add the old demographic in and gain total numbers...but if someone wants more of an explanation we should probably start another thread. FYI to tie into baseball/astros, MLB is experiencing the exact opposite, skewing older.

Well done with your research, however I do have a few comments regarding the MLS and fanbase. I classify myself as borderline in the age groups (older versus younger) and do not enjoy MLS matches. At all. The quality of play compared to Premier League and Bundesliga is just sad. The reason for this is that soccer/whatever else you'd like to call it is a relatively young sport in The States and the athletes and talent has not yet caught up to the rest of the world, as you stated in your post. More and more kids are being steered towards the aforementioned sport and the talent level/awareness will rise as a result. Until then, I will stick to European and South American clubs and teams. 

#17 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,596 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:11 PM

For me, it's the no offense thing. Offense is much more appealing to Americans.

Why so Serious? :D

#18 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 342 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

For me, it's the no offense thing. Offense is much more appealing to Americans.

Speaking of offense, the 'Stros really need some in the upcoming games if they want to keep their playoff hopes alive. It would be a shame to play so well all season, only to run out of gas in the final push. All of this seems strangely familiar to me somehow......

#19 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 474 posts
      • LocationHouston

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:55 PM

Well done with your research, however I do have a few comments regarding the MLS and fanbase. I classify myself as borderline in the age groups (older versus younger) and do not enjoy MLS matches. At all. The quality of play compared to Premier League and Bundesliga is just sad. The reason for this is that soccer/whatever else you'd like to call it is a relatively young sport in The States and the athletes and talent has not yet caught up to the rest of the world, as you stated in your post. More and more kids are being steered towards the aforementioned sport and the talent level/awareness will rise as a result. Until then, I will stick to European and South American clubs and teams. 

Its just percentages of their fanbases....mls/soccer is still i think 5th in total fanbase behind nba, football, baseball, and hockey. What it does have just skews younger which is good for long term, and yes....mls is boring compared to italia seria a, champions, budesliga, premier, and even some of the south american leagues. We also play a very direct style of play over here compared to alot of those clubs/leagues leading to less buildup and more counterattacking.

As for astros, as long as our pitching holds i think we have enough offense for 4 out of 7 games. High variance with the homeruns, but I think we can pull it off!

LoSTHieF

#20 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 474 posts
      • LocationHouston

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:14 PM

Springer is activated....hope he is fully healthy we could use him down the stretch!

LoSTHieF

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users