Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

General NBA Playoff Thread 2015

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:57 PM

I thought we could use a place to discuss the other series.  Also, I wanted to post this graphic that I saw at Reddit.com.  It swaps each conferences' top 4 seeds' first round opponent.  The East would be in trouble...

I think only Atlanta maintains their comfort level of getting through to the next round.  Meanwhile, all 4 West seeds just breathed a huge sigh of relief knowing they will all be going to round 2.  Maybe Portland gets knocked off by the Wizards.

The East would very likely play out as such.  ATL, CLE, SAS, and MEM go to 2nd round.  Memphis grinds out a 7 game victory over Atlanta while SAS dispatches the Cavs.  MEM and SAS play with SAS winning in 6.

I'm not sure I like re-formatting the playoffs as it decreases the likelihood of developing rivalries through repeated playoff clashes, but it certainly has performance-based merit.  Here's how it would look if they did it based off of W/L record alone.

I think this would make for a better quality product as far as showcasing the best talent for longer, but would it be worth it at the risk of losing rivalries?  Is it probable that this creates new, and ultimately, more rivalries?  Maybe...

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:55 PM

Is anybody watching the Golden State/New Orleans series?  So much to like there.  

#3 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:24 PM

I am - it's been fun so far! I just wish Monty Williams had found a way to give Davis a few minutes off in the second half last night. He looked completely gassed towards the end (there were several possessions where he didn't get back on defense), and that was part of why he wasn't able to replicate his Game 1 heroics late on. Just giving him a few extra minutes of rest could make all the difference in these late game situations - it's clear that if he's not right on his game Draymond Green can slow him down, but I don't think anyone can slow him down when he's feeling it.

ST

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:30 PM

Yeah, he can't do it all.  Gordon played very well.  Evans seemed out of control.  Asik is the same liability on offense he always was....it was just as frustrating watching him do it to New Orleans as it was for us.  Meanwhile, Golden State just cycles through hot streaks from Curry, to Green, to Thompson, Speights, Livingston, and on and on...they have so many complimentary weapons.

I think Williams has got to play more small ball (what choice does he have?  Ajinca and Asik together???).  Ryan Anderson looks awful out there....and he only got 9 minutes last game.  He is a combined 2-11 for the first two games.  If he can't provide offense he is pretty useless.  Maybe they can put him at center and pull Bogut out of the paint with Pondexter, Cunningham, Gordon, and Evans?  That's a lot of shooting (spacing) they can use to open the lane for Gordon/Evans.

The good news is they have nothing to lose as I suspect nobody thinks they can actually win the series--might as well go for it!

Steve Kerr was mic'd up for the game and I liked the part near the end of the 1st where he was talking about NO believing they can play with them.  I'd say they believe it even more after the 2nd game.  

I loved when Asik blatantly slid over in front of a hard cutting Curry and just laid him out for no other reason then to be a brute.

I wish this series would go 7 games, but I'll settle for 5.

#5 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

Game 3 of that GS Pels series was just amazing, wow!

I still can't get over how the NOLA wings don't get the ball to Davis more in the crunch. He did look tired again in the last frame as well as the overtime.

By the way, am I crazy for even contemplating Cole on the Rockets roster? He's been shooting almost 40% since being traded to NOLA which could increase in the Rockets system, he seems to have grown as a player with all his post season experience, is 26 and could log heavy minutes and could be a bargain considering the market. Thoughts?
How sweet it is!

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:56 PM

I still can't get over how the NOLA wings don't get the ball to Davis more in the crunch. He did look tired again in the last frame as well as the overtime.

By the way, am I crazy for even contemplating Cole on the Rockets roster? He's been shooting almost 40% since being traded to NOLA which could increase in the Rockets system, he seems to have grown as a player with all his post season experience, is 26 and could log heavy minutes and could be a bargain considering the market. Thoughts?

Sadly, I missed last night's NO-GS game.  :(

On Cole.  I wouldn't hate it, but he is not at the top of the list of PG's I would be interested in bringing in (I think he is a RFA and NO might match a low offer anyway).  I still have high hopes for Nick Johnson's development.  Word is Canaan will be on the market.  Jeremy Lin may also be an inexpensive option.  He still has turnover problems, but on a cheaper contract I think he would be a valuable player for us.

If we re-sign Terry (a distinct possibility if he wants to come back), Smith, and McDaniels that puts us at 15 roster spots.  Bringing in a PG would mean a trade.  If we are trading talent to make room for a PG then I would rather try for a bigger fish.  I think McDaniels, Papanikoloau, plus Prigs or Johnson could net us a guy like Jennings (I know I keep coming back to him, but I think it would work very well.)  Isaiah Thomas is a possibility if the Celtics want to deal him.

All things considered, I don't think we need to bring in a PG.  This season has shown us a complimentary group of players with good depth (when healthy).  I wouldn't be surprised to see Morey bring back the same group we have now and see how they can do with more time together.

I saw that Clutchfans' in-house Nostradamus is predicting LaMarcus Aldridge....I'm not buying that.   :unsure:

#7 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:35 AM

I know they are all professionals but didn't bev and cole have a beef last year in Miami. Bev taking it to him due to the heat taking cole over bev way back when. Might cause a bit of tension if he starts taking bevs minutes. Who knows what type of player he will be after his injury but what about having a run at wes mathews? Hits the three can defend. Harden stays the primary facilatator.

#8 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,298 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:00 AM

I just read my post again and I meant almost 40% from three.
    How sweet it is!

#9 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 474 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:53 PM

Sadly, I missed last night's NO-GS game.  :(

On Cole.  I wouldn't hate it, but he is not at the top of the list of PG's I would be interested in bringing in (I think he is a RFA and NO might match a low offer anyway).  I still have high hopes for Nick Johnson's development.  Word is Canaan will be on the market.  Jeremy Lin may also be an inexpensive option.  He still has turnover problems, but on a cheaper contract I think he would be a valuable player for us.

If we re-sign Terry (a distinct possibility if he wants to come back), Smith, and McDaniels that puts us at 15 roster spots.  Bringing in a PG would mean a trade.  If we are trading talent to make room for a PG then I would rather try for a bigger fish.  I think McDaniels, Papanikoloau, plus Prigs or Johnson could net us a guy like Jennings (I know I keep coming back to him, but I think it would work very well.)  Isaiah Thomas is a possibility if the Celtics want to deal him.

All things considered, I don't think we need to bring in a PG.  This season has shown us a complimentary group of players with good depth (when healthy).  I wouldn't be surprised to see Morey bring back the same group we have now and see how they can do with more time together.

I saw that Clutchfans' in-house Nostradamus is predicting LaMarcus Aldridge....I'm not buying that.   :unsure:

He mentioned bringing everyone back in the grantland interview, but then again its morey.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#10 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,125 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:26 PM

Memphis tied the series with GS and stole home court.  I doubt their fans are panicking yet.   I hope this series goes 7 games.

One thing is certain, the league is going to miss Zach Randolph when he is gone.  Watching him do this made me very happy.  Best part is no foul on the play.

#11 CaliforniaSUPErRocket

CaliforniaSUPErRocket

• Members
    • Pip
    • 24 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:25 AM

Golden State down 1-2 to Memphis!! Wish it was a 3 game series. He he he

#12 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
      • 2,298 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:00 PM

I was in New Orleans for work/wine tasting stuff yesterday and staying with an old buddy who is also a NBA fan. Last night all I want is a couple of beers and some good basketball right? My friend is a Spurs fan so he is still not over their elimination and I see impending doom for the good guys in red and we both need to refocus. We decide that that Memphis game could get us back into getting up about an underdog or whatever and the Grizz go and get destroyed.
      How sweet it is!

#13 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 144 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:33 AM

Hey just thought I would share that the leg hold on Taj Gibson by Dellie was definitely intentional. It is the same type of hold Aussie Rules footballers do to stop the opposition from streaking down the ground. Usually hands in the air pleading with the umpire while holding the man with legs. I still cant believe that was an ejection.

#14 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
        • 2,298 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:51 AM

It's killing me that the Warriors are going to win this. That's all I needed to say.
        How sweet it is!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users