Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Houston Rockets 105, Cleveland Cavaliers 103: Intensity

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:38 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 105, Cleveland Cavaliers 103: Intensity
    By: Forrest Walker

No big deal here, it was just the most exciting and meaningful Rockets win of the season. LeBron James and his Cavaliers super team just happened to swing by and deliver the most intense and scrappy battle Houston has seen this year, and James Harden just happened to deliver item number seven thousand in his ever-growing MVP resume. It was pure coincidence that this game went to overtime, giving the world five more minutes to watch two of the best players in the world literally struggle against one another. And, somehow, in the end, the game came down to free throw shooting, but not in the way you might think.

This was a fun, tight, exciting game throughout the first half, with neither team gaining a double digit lead. And then the third quarter started, and Patrick Beverley tried to take a charge against LeBron James. That it was eventually called as a blocking foul was immaterial. The ensuing scuffle, however, set a tone that would persist throughout the remainder of the game. As LeBron James fell to the floor, he placed his hand on Beverley's chest, something which Patrick seemed to take objection to. A shouting match upgraded to some kind of mass scuffle, and double techs were issued. The game was back on.

And then things got intense.

Both teams were heated at this point, with a series of increasingly hostile interactions leading up to an overtime finish. Timofey Mozgov and James Harden fell to the ground while scrambling for a loose ball, a scrum which ended with Mozgov grabbing James Harden's foot to foul him and prevent a fast break. Trevor Ariza, in turn, got into Mozgov's face in a later possession, for which he was issued a technical foul. (for which LeBron missed the free throw, in a shocking pattern.) This string of events would come to a head with Harden scrambling for a loose ball while James comes after him, resulting in an angry kick from Harden directly into LeBron's groin. Surprisingly, Harden was let off with a mere flagrant foul, but the Rockets have found themselves in the sights of yet another team.

This game turned into a battle for MVP votes somewhere along the way, and the short answer is that James Harden won it. The longer answer is that they two players had eerily similar stat lines, with a couple glaring exceptions. LeBron James scored 37 points, grabbed 8 rebounds, dished 4 assists and surrounded that with 3 steals, 3 blocks and 4 turnovers. Harden's line was a similar 33 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks and 5 turnovers. The difference came in efficiency. LeBron James shot 25-35 to get there, including 4-12 from deep, and most notably he missed 8 of his 11 free throw attempts, including two consecutive misses at the end of the game. Harden, for his part, shot 8-18, 2-6 three pointers, and 15-18 (!!!) at the stripe.

The game ended not with a bang, but with a weird confusing few possessions in which Harden at one point hooked LeBron and tried to use him like a puppet to get a foul, which didn't work. After LeBron failed to hit free throws, Harden did indeed seal the game, but missed on purpose with .6 seconds left in order to burn the clock. After a review, the Cavs were given a final .3 seconds to shoot a three for the win, but couldn't get the shot off in time, which Terrence Jones blocked for good measure. The rest of the plays for the Cavs were largely isolation for LeBron James, in a dark mirror of Houston's plays for James Harden. Trevor Ariza proved up to the task however, and even James Harden had success guarding LeBron. It turns out that Harden has always been a solid one on one defender, and that hasn't changed.

It was an up and down game, and the team largely played the way it needs to, though the bench embarrassingly  gave up an 8 point lead in a mere 90 seconds to start the fourth. They also helped key in a vicious third quarter in which the Rockets hovered at an 8-10 point lead. We got the best of Josh Smith and the worst of Josh Smith. Terrence Jones grabbed rebounds and dunked like crazy. Donatas Motiejunas shook his man in the post. Trevor Ariza defended with the best of them and Corey Brewer fired it up off the bench. If this team can keep up this intensity, they're going to be a holy terror this post season. Oh, and they'll get Dwight Howard back, too.

#2 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 170 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:42 AM

Actually it was Josh Smith that blocked that last shot but the officials deemed that shot got off too late so Josh wasn't credited with that block.

#3 jorgeaam

jorgeaam

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 396 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:58 AM

Actually it was Josh Smith that blocked that last shot but the officials deemed that shot got off too late so Josh wasn't credited with that block.

Just adding to that, LeBron didn't shoot 25-35, he shot 15-35

Champion of the 2014-15 Red94 Fantasy Basketball League :D

#4 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 475 posts
        • LocationHouston

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:01 AM

yeah 25-35 means he (at the bare minimum) would of had 50 points....

on topic: man, good win by the rockets, but based on the last couple of games we need to work on our execution down the stretch. Maybe get harden the ball on the handoff/on the move so we're not so stagnant. Still, all's well that ends well.

Edited by Losthief, 02 March 2015 - 01:03 AM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#5 jorgeaam

jorgeaam

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 396 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:35 AM

yeah 25-35 means he (at the bare minimum) would of had 50 points....

on topic: man, good win by the rockets, but based on the last couple of games we need to work on our execution down the stretch. Maybe get harden the ball on the handoff/on the move so we're not so stagnant. Still, all's well that ends well.

I agree, there was one particular play in crunch time, in which Josh Smith was trying to get the ball to Harden but LeBron didn't allow that and the offense just became stagnant and took a bad shot if I don't misremember.

Champion of the 2014-15 Red94 Fantasy Basketball League :D

#6 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,596 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:05 AM

Harden is tough. Make him mad, he'll kick you in the balls. Lol. But seriously a great game.

Why so Serious? :D

#7 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
          • 2,303 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:25 AM

Maybe Harden was sending James a message as in "you better not even think about holding me down like you did Pat!" Harden is the toughest superstar we have had since Dream.
          How sweet it is!

#8 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 222 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:34 AM

Great win minus D12 and K Irving......finals with these two teams would be an awesome 7 game series.

#9 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 166 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:31 AM

Was definitely good to see us navigate some good and some bad and still get the win in a playoff-type atmosphere/opponent.

And I don't know whether to call it luck or something else, but we kind of got lucky with all those missed Lebron FTs...

Was good to see Pat making shots again.

But holy crap, we got killed on the boards. That's the main thing that kept them in it. Some of those were probably due to long rebounds from the 40 3PA they took... But still. 22 offensive rebounds, Thompson with eleven! Goodness.

#10 CaliforniaSUPErRocket

CaliforniaSUPErRocket

• Members
              • Pip
              • 24 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:50 AM

Feels great to go 5-0 on our home stand. Can't wait to see tomorrows power rankings.

#11 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 671 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:12 AM

It was a great win. However the Cavs guard was terrible the 3 guys shot 4-20 for 12 points in 116 minutes between them. The result itself wasnt that important but the manner we won, made me giddy. Jones looks good, Dmo did his usual work. Bev and ariza shot 3s and defended. Harden showed who the better James is, I like the fire that our best player and MVP showed. Cant wait until Howard gets back and we can have a great rotation on our front court.

#12 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 52 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:28 AM

I like that tjones continued his great play...and i especially liked this Ariza....he is huge when he just concentrate on defense and not try to do too much on offense...

#13 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 144 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

Harden is the toughest superstar we have had since Dream.

It's just awesome to think that he has turned a perceived weakness into a strength.

#14 TTrainW

TTrainW

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 26 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:49 AM

^whats that perceived weakness? toughness or defense? (not saying that Harden is lacking in either)

#15 bernardo

bernardo

Rookie

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 62 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:06 PM

Man I love this team. We may not win the championship this year, but I don't give a sh** right now. 28 out of the remaining 29 teams don't win it either. Great game last night, playoff atmosphere for sure in the building. The true MVP willed us to victory, but I liked the contributions across the board from our guys. Some questionable calls were made by the refs towards lebron, but I guess that's usual in cavs games. Glad that the ball didn't lie at the FT line with the game on the balance.

#16 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 144 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:38 PM

^whats that perceived weakness? toughness or defense? (not saying that Harden is lacking in either)

There used to be a lot of talk about Harden not showing emotion (being aloof), leadership and toughness. That criticism has rightfully blown away this year. Harden seems to be a great leader and so tough.

#17 adonneus

adonneus

• Members
                            • Pip
                            • 36 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:00 PM

This was the most 3PA (40) an opponent has had on us this season; it was almost twice the average of 22.5. This was also the most 3PA for the Cavs this season.

Why do you think the Cavs shot so many 3 pointers when we are the best 3-point defending team in the league? Do you think it was in our gameplan to force them to do this? Or did they come into the game with this plan?

Just throwing some thoughts out there for consideration.

#18 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                              • 4,130 posts
                              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:34 PM

I am surprised that nobody else has mentioned the use of the pick n roll in the 4th quarter.  We left 10 points on the floor in that quarter with Harden connecting on nice passes with Motie, Jones, and Smith on the PnR--and none of them could finish the play.  Outside of all the weirdness of this game and anyone who may want to say we got "lucky" LeBron couldn't hit free throws I say we let them off easy from getting blown out by 10+ tonight by missing so many bunnies.  I think McHale and Co. are going to work on them finishing stronger and we are going to be in business.

Really fun game to watch.  I loved seeing Ariza get in Mozgov's face.  Bev not taking any of LeBron's "dominance".  The closing line up of Harden, Bev, Ariza, Jones, and Smith.  That Harden lay-up where he ended up on his butt after blowing by 2 Cav's players.  That PBev plays better angry (I'm imagining Bev before the game going up to D-Mo and saying, "Slap me.  Slap me hard!" and D-Mo just stares blankly while Bev insists, "Come on, man.  Hit me!"  Then Bickerstaff appears without saying a word, open hands him across the face nearly dropping him to the floor and just walks away to continue doing his job.  Bev shakes his head, flexes his muscles, and heads to the court).  

200_s.gif

#19 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                              • 4,130 posts
                              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:55 PM

Here is a link to that Harden lay-up.  LINK

Poor Tristan Thompson took a solid right elbow to the chin on that play.

#20 CaliforniaSUPErRocket

CaliforniaSUPErRocket

• Members
                              • Pip
                              • 24 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:28 PM

Gosh! I am scared, excited, delighted, and prematurely famished in anticipation of the 2015 playoffs!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users