Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Blame Game

Morey

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Blame Game (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is to blame for missing the playoffs?

1. Voted The Coach (specifically down the stretch) (7 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

2. Injury Bug (Martin/Lowry) (7 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

3. Voted Insufficient Talent (Morey) (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

4. David Stern Conspiracy Theory (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

What should we do about it?

1. Voted Hire a new coach (2 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. Continue using Morey-ball until it pays off (6 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

3. Trade whatever we got for a true superstar (4 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

4. Voted Fight the power. (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Let me know what you think.

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

the way the rockets collasped at the end of the season is on coaching. RocketMan you should have left room for multiple answers, because trust me there was plenty of blame to go around. even though we crashed and burned this year I do feel there is hope on the horizon. if we use our draft picks, cap room, player trade bait we should be in position to get something done

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#3 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

The meteoric collapse in the last few weeks almost smells like it was done intentionally, especially after they were playing so well. It just seems like a team would almost have to do it on purpose to lose that many big games, especially at home.

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

The meteoric collapse in the last few weeks almost smells like it was done intentionally, especially after they were playing so well. It just seems like a team would almost have to do it on purpose to lose that many big games, especially at home.

based on the fact that the rockets made moves at the trade deadline to improve the team leads me to believe they were trying to make the playoffs. they just fell flat on their faces

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#5 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'm just being an instigator. It just sucks to see your team crash and burn like that. I really hate baseball, and the playoffs are the best reason to delay hearing about the Yankees' latest $300 million new-join.

#6 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

I have a different perspective on this. I think the collapse and "not making the playoffs" are two separate issues. The collapse is squarely on McHale. But they were even in position to make the playoffs because of McHale.

They didn't make the playoffs because of overriding circumstances - they're just not good enough. But I don't know if you can blame that on Morey because, how could they be good enough without an opportunity to get elite talent?

As far as what they need to do, I have absolutely no idea. Firing McHale isn't the answer. I think he overall did a good job.

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

I'm just being an instigator. It just sucks to see your team crash and burn like that. I really hate baseball, and the playoffs are the best reason to delay hearing about the Yankees' latest $300 million new-join.

I know. I'm not big on baseball either. It's a tuff time to be a rockets fan. I have a friend who's favorite team is who ever the rockets are playing ............time to circle the wagons. true rockets fans have to stick together.

#8 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Not to mention football also being quite a ways away.

No need to apologize though. Being critical of one's team doesn't somehow lessen fandom. Many have yet to realize that though.

#9 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 548 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

I believe our fall from grace was due to the combination of Lowry and Martin being out. Even when Kyle came back he was 15lbs lighter and obviously more easily winded. He just simply wasn't the same player, his heft and his never-ending energy being what made him stand out most. Also, people can say whatever they want about the guy, but KEVIN MARTIN WAS OUR LEADING SCORER, and you can contribute the loss of every game that slipped away in the 3rd and 4th quarters, or was close, or went into OT to the fact that we were without our leading scorer. In the points in games where our opposition was going to their main scoring options and letting them do what they do best, our team was playing hot potato around the arc waiting for the ball to land at someone with the cojones to take control, fortunately we had Dragic on the court, but that isn't nor should it be his role.

McHale did as good as anyone could with what he has to work with, I'd be in favor of holding on to him a bit, as was said before, I think he'd be the right guy for helping develop young talent.

These are the only 2 players on our team anywhere close to being an all-star ('cept Dragic, but who knew?), so of course when they went down, it had the most dramatic influence on our success or lack thereof. Had it been known that neither player would have been able to compete 100% for the rest of the season, I would have expected us to take an intentional nose dive grasping for some more lotto balls.

I can't stand baseball either, but at least some time will be taken up by the Olympics.

#10 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 182 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Also, people can say whatever they want about the guy, but KEVIN MARTIN WAS OUR LEADING SCORER, and you can contribute the

We played significantly better without Kevin Martin on the court virtually all season long. He shot 41% from the field while contributing less than 3 rebounds and assists per game. If anything, our missing the playoffs is due more to the 40 games Martin appeared in than those he missed.

I think the blame lies on an overall lack of talent that eventually caught up to us. We played over our payscale for awhile, but ultimately we just weren't good enough.

#11 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 82 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

Martin's value went beyond his numbers though. He was our biggest threat, who other teams gameplanned for. He distracted defensive attention away from his teammates which doesnt ever come up in the boxscore. I know he has been a disappointment this season, but even so, having him is without a doubt better than not. Also i think he was our leading free-throw attempter, which puts the opposition in foul trouble, and i think everyone is aware that one of our biggest weaknesses was getting the the charity stripe. Not the mention the fact that martin's PER (16.6 was above league average(15).... and above his replacement- courtney lee(12.7).

#12 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 182 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

Martin's value went beyond his numbers though.

You may have a point regarding his value in context of our team, but he was still terrible this season. Per 82games.com, the Rockets were -15 this season with him on the court, scoring .6 points fewer per 100 possessions while giving up 2.2 points MORE when he was on the court.

Here's another take: What's Kevin Martin's trade value today? I'd wager it's close to nothing (considering his $13m pricetag). Short of being injured ALL season, he had as poor a year as could be imagined.

#13 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 82 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

i have no argument that this was easily the worst season from martin that ive seen since i started paying attention to him (5 years ago?). Be that a combination of the new rules about what is a foul, and his attitude after almost being traded or whatever, but i would argue that having him is better than not for this houston rockets team. Playing Bud at backup SG AND backup SF is not better than martin and lee splitting minutes.

i imagine the only value he has is as an expiring contract (next year). unless a contending team found a large amount of cap space and couldnt sign any free agent. they might be interested in him, but again only because he has one year left on his contract now.

#14 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                • 1,547 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

Here's another take: What's Kevin Martin's trade value today? I'd wager it's close to nothing (considering his $13m pricetag). Short of being injured ALL season, he had as poor a year as could be imagined.

I was discussing this very topic the other day with someone in the know. He told me, "teams don't just forget how good a player is."

He's plugged in more than I am, but I sort of disagree...in Martin's case, there's the possibility that he's been hampered by the new rules, in which case, it's not about having an off-year and reverting but rather, a potential permanent regression.

We'll see. I think the best fit for him is Chicago. (I'm basing that on my own thoughts, not anything I've heard.) I think your best bet is to engineer some sort of 3-way landing him with the Bulls and adding a young player to our own roster from some 3rd team.

Sad to see how our assets decline almost every year.

#15 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,125 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

unlike most of you I think martin has good trade value. rahat I agree with your friend (teams don't suddenly forget what a player has done in the league). do you believe rick aldelman would want him? minny made a good push to get him at the trade deadline. he is exaclty what teams are looking for ie a veteran who can help them without risking long term money. if he fails they simply let him walk. if he succeeds they sign him for less money.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Morey

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users