Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

4th Quarter Performances, Harden being doubled, and another playmaker

Rockets Trade Deadline James Harden 4th quarter offense

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TTrainW

TTrainW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:35 AM

After our Blazers loss, I took a look at our past games in January and February, specifically at our fourth quarter performances, in the light of our struggles mainly offensively when heading into the most important segment of the game. I didn't calculate any advanced statistics, but we were outscored in the fourth quarter many times, in both our wins and our losses. Of course, some of these fourth quarter performances shouldn't be taken into account, since if they are either blow-out wins our losses, Harden and our starters aren't there for the majority of the time, and neither are the opponents starters, negating the importance of the quarter.

Thus I compiled some basic stats, focusing on some of the closer games, like the

Bulls game (in January) (outscored 16-31, loss)

Magic (outscored 28-36, loss),

Cavaliers (outscored them 32-19, win by 12)

Pacers (outscored 21-30, win)

Suns (outscored 26-34, win on Harden buzzer beater)

Mavs (outscored them 18-16, win by 5)

Celtics (outscored them 24-23, win)

Pistons (outscored them 32-28, loss) (10+ deficit at 3rd Q)

Bulls again (outscored them 26-20, win)

Bucks (outscored 21-29, win)

Blazers (outscored 18-28, loss)

In 4 of the losses we only outscored them once; In 4 of the losses, we led or were within 2 at the third quarter in 3 of the games, indicating how pivotal the 4th quarter mattered in those games. 

From the eye test, I've come up with a few observations and conclusions about our 4th quarters:

1) Harden is doubled a lot, especially in recent games. This slows down our offence significantly.

2) Rockets elect to play a pick and roll with Harden and Beverly, with Harden setting the pick, or rather, setting himself up near the top of the key, with Beverly maneuvering towards him to use him as a pick  -- this aims to get a mismatch by forcing a switch, but Harden's man, usually the team's best wing defender, just sticks to Harden. This play often results in a Beverly FG attempt, such as a drive and runner to the hoop, or a step-back jumper: IMO a wasted possession, with little to no ball movement. 

3) Rockets rarely go with D-Mo in the fourth quarter, thus post presence is gone. Howard attempts end up a lot with TOs. (I don't have the statistics in terms of 4th Q scoring for individual players) End up jacking a lot of high risk high reward three's, while opposing teams elect to go to the paint for the higher percentage shot. 

4) Harden is clutch. If Harden can get the ball isolated, or the Rockets can run their normal offence with lot of pick and rolls with him as the ball handler, he is money. Unfortunately, many teams change their defensive dynamics in the fourth quarter, choosing to double him when he passes half court. Harden himself does not do a lot of off-ball movement, thus he gets the ball, waits for the double team and then passes it out, however the double comes rather slowly, so Harden waits too, this kills the clock and totally disrupts any offensive flow. 

5) When our offence doesn't flow, IMO our defence suffers as well. This is simply my guess, a chain-reaction sort of, where when guys are not involved in the offence or their shots are not falling, their attention on defence drops as well. Our defence has been pretty bad come 4th quarters, though whether it's this reason or not is debatable. 

Overall, our offence stagnates if we cannot effectively get Harden the ball and put him in one of his sweet spots, or we can't play through him. Teams will double him, and currently, that seems to be the most effective tactic when dealing with this Rockets offence. Keep in mind though, that Dwight Howard hasn't been healthy, and I believe he is a more dependable offensive force when so. Also, in the few times D-Mo is featured offensively, he produces. The Rockets have options, it depends on how they utilise them.

Still, I believe the urgency for a secondary playmaker is real and necessary. Even given our current offensive options of Harden, Howard, D-Mo and the shooters, I think our offence is still mostly predictable and slightly one-dimensional: the ball is of course going to go to Harden. Every time I see that pick and roll of Harden and Beverly, though, I'm fantasising about a situation with a capable playmaking PG there to run the offence when Harden's off and, SOMETIMES, when Harden is on the court; I think Harden can play off-ball sometimes, with a lot of off-ball screens and movement designed to get him open, and that PG thus forcing the defence to pick their poison: do you still double Harden when's he's moving and without the ball? If you do, that's going to open up someone on the field, and if you don't, this capable PG would theoretically still be able to get some good offence. The best offences in the league (the Hawks and those cocky Warriors) emphasize off-ball screens and movement to open up their shooters and scorers, and we should perhaps learn a few things from them. With a PG with good vision and passing, and some clever plays that take advantage of the defensive attention on Harden, I think we can become very potent and unpredictable, disrupting opponent defensive sets, with Harden switching between on and off ball duties. Beverly simply is not this point guard, regardless of his defence, which can still be stellar. 

What do you guys think, on 4th quarter performances and how the Rockets can get back on track in this aspect? Other than blowing the opponent out by the 3rd quarter of course  :) . 

#2 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,184 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

One of the things that I've noticed happening a lot in the fourth quarter is the floor balance being out of whack and opponents getting a lot of runouts/fast-breaks. I think a big part of this is the isolation style we go to late in games. If you're on offence and you know you're not going to get the ball, you try to come up with ways of impacting the game. For the Rockets, that generally means the big men try to crash the offensive glass. Unfortunately, taking long jumpers (usually the product of an iso) tends to lead to long rebounds, which both negates the big men near the hoop and ignites the fast break.

I wonder if the data shows that isolation plays generally result in a higher percentage of fast breaks on the ensuing possession for the other team. It would certainly match the eye test...

ST

#3 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 168 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:48 PM

I very much agree with your description of what our fourth quarter, crunch time offense looks like; in short, like you said, it's just predictable. Defenses know exactly what's coming. And it's really been this way for the past two season, but at least last year, Parsons was someone other than Harden who could penetrate and finish/dish.

More and more, it seems like defenses/coaches are realizing that Harden, and the drive/kick, is our entire offense (esp. in the 4th). And come playoffs, they'll even be more zeroed in on that.

I'm still on the secondary creator wagon. Though I realize that may not happen this year.

So to me, DMo is our best tool right now in switching it up on the opposing defense in the 4th, e.g, being at least one other way of creating scoring or open looks. He's great in the post, in the pick and roll, and in making smart passes out of either. I would hope he'll get his chance and prove his worth over this next month while Howard is out.

#4 TTrainW

TTrainW

• Members
      • Pip
      • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:01 AM

One of the things that I've noticed happening a lot in the fourth quarter is the floor balance being out of whack and opponents getting a lot of runouts/fast-breaks. I think a big part of this is the isolation style we go to late in games. If you're on offence and you know you're not going to get the ball, you try to come up with ways of impacting the game. For the Rockets, that generally means the big men try to crash the offensive glass. Unfortunately, taking long jumpers (usually the product of an iso) tends to lead to long rebounds, which both negates the big men near the hoop and ignites the fast break.

I agree with you that we give up a lot of fast breaks in these fourth quarter situations. I checked stats from nba.com for Rockets under "Clutch Situations". It turns out that Rockets ranks 1st in both points allowed off turnovers and point allowed off fast breaks, which supports the conclusion of your eye test. Still, we've won 13 of 22 clutch games, close to top 10 in win percentage. Howard has played in only 9 of these games, maybe we'd win more if he played more lol. 

Still, if we choose to iso someone like D-Mo or Howard in the post (more towards D-Mo), control the pace, or set good screens for Harden to get into the paint, I think these fast breaks can be mitigated to some extent. Off-ball movement to get the other players on the court more involved in the offense and more disciplined when treating offensive rebounding is also a possible solution, and that connects back to the secondary playmaker who can run the offense for some of the possessions that so many Rockets fan's are lobbying for. 

#5 TTrainW

TTrainW

• Members
        • Pip
        • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:09 AM

I very much agree with your description of what our fourth quarter, crunch time offense looks like; in short, like you said, it's just predictable. Defenses know exactly what's coming. And it's really been this way for the past two season, but at least last year, Parsons was someone other than Harden who could penetrate and finish/dish.

More and more, it seems like defenses/coaches are realizing that Harden, and the drive/kick, is our entire offense (esp. in the 4th). And come playoffs, they'll even be more zeroed in on that.

I'm still on the secondary creator wagon. Though I realize that may not happen this year.

So to me, DMo is our best tool right now in switching it up on the opposing defense in the 4th, e.g, being at least one other way of creating scoring or open looks. He's great in the post, in the pick and roll, and in making smart passes out of either. I would hope he'll get his chance and prove his worth over this next month while Howard is out.

Spot on, Parsons was an integral part of wild offence before he left. We've suffered from a lack of shot creators without him. 

I'm all for a secondary creator as long as we don't mess up the chemistry in the locker room; however, I'm not convinced by names popping up in trade rumours like Calderon or D-Will. I'm good for Dragic though not sure if Suns are willing to part with him. Hopefully with a few more loses Suns will shut down for the season and open up for talks. 

I want to see D-Mo featured in a 4th quarter offence, either in the post or the pick and roll. At some point in time, McHale HAS to experiment with D-Mo out there wreaking havoc when opposing teams decide to double team Harden. This can add more dimensions to a our singular offence, and help prepare D-Mo for the postseason that is sure to come. At this point, McHale still favours that small line-up to open up space for Harden, but D-Mo is a post presence that forces the defence to adapt. He should be on the court in clutch times. 

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,133 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:44 AM

Speaking of playmakers, I just saw this little tidbit:

The following players, per league sources, are also considered likely buyout candidates if they are not traded by the deadline: Andrea Bargnani (New York); Brandon Bass, Tayshaun Prince and Marcus Thornton (Boston); Andrei Kirilenko (Philadelphia); Willie Green (Orlando); Randy Foye and Darrell Arthur (Denver).  LINK

I put Randy Foye's name in bold because he might be someone Morey would take a 1 year flyer on.  He's had a rough year (he had a leg injury that kept him out for most of the season), but is easing back into game shape.  He is a career .375 3pt. shooter and a solid combo guard who is happy to come off the bench, but can start when needed at either G position.  He can rack up assists or go off from deep...sometimes both.  It was just last year he went for 30 points and 15 assists (including 6-10 from deep) against us.  Added bonus: he tends to play well against Golden State...which we could use.  He's also shot in the mid-40's on corner threes the past three seasons.

The knocks against him are streaky shooting, a penchant for turnovers, and bad defensive numbers.  Still, he can beat his man off the dribble, make plays for others, knock down the long ball, will be happy to come off the bench and will be on a cheap 1 year deal (assuming he gets bought out).

He and Terry would make for a solid duo in the second unit (obviously, not on the defensive end).

#7 bernardo

bernardo

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 62 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

Gery Woelfel: Hearing Suns want a first-rounder for Goran Dragic and, rest assured, they'll get it. Rockets got to be tempted.

I find this hard to believe but, if it is true, we should put that pellies pick to use. Though I don't believe the suns will part ways with him for so little return.

Edited by bernardo, 12 February 2015 - 03:34 PM.

#8 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,596 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:24 PM

It will take at least 2 1sts to get Dragic and that's assuming that the Suns realize they won't resign him. Of course their leverage is they're in the playoff hunt. Only a team that is desperate to win now would do that with the possibility of it being a rental. I think that's us. Dwight is becoming injury prone and not looking like he will ever be the best center in the league again. We have a 2 year window before we have to rebuild. Maybe Morey decides to go all in for Dragic.

Why so Serious? :D

#9 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 197 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

It will take at least 2 1sts to get Dragic and that's assuming that the Suns realize they won't resign him. Of course their leverage is they're in the playoff hunt. Only a team that is desperate to win now would do that with the possibility of it being a rental. I think that's us. Dwight is becoming injury prone and not looking like he will ever be the best center in the league again. We have a 2 year window before we have to rebuild. Maybe Morey decides to go all in for Dragic.

Where are you getting the 2 first rounders for Dragic information? I have read by Gery Woelfel that they are shopping him for a first rounder. I know he is not the most credible source, but i haven't seen anything saying 2 first rounders. That is asking a lot for a player that is going to walk after the season is over. It is very unlikely that they make the playoffs this season. They have been pretty bad as of late, and OKC is starting to find a rhythm. Plus I can't see the market being that high for Dragic. Most rebuilding teams are not going to give up a first rounder for a 29 year old PG, and all the contenders have great starters. I honestly think they are going to end up trading him for a first rounder, and some frontcourt help. We are the logical choice with decent depth in the frontcourt and what should be a lotto pick, but do they want to trade him to a contender in the West?

#10 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,290 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:38 PM

It took two firsts to get mozgov and there was only one team going of him, so it wouldn't be too suprising. There doesn't appear to be a big market for Dragic but there also isn't anyone else available unless the nuggies have a  fire sale and want to trade Lawson phx has the leverage.

#11 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 197 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:58 PM

It took two firsts to get mozgov and there was only one team going of him, so it wouldn't be too suprising. There doesn't appear to be a big market for Dragic but there also isn't anyone else available unless the nuggies have a  fire sale and want to trade Lawson phx has the leverage.

Well that is Cleveland we are talking about... The team that is notorious for horrible deals.

If that is what Phoenix wants, then we pass. It's not that difficult. I jut don't believe they are in any position to ask for 2 first rounders for him. He  likely walks after this season, and the odds of them making the playoffs are low. Dragic has all the leverage imo. 

#12 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,596 posts
              • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:24 PM

If Dragic says he will re-sign then yes 2 1st rounders are worth it for him. We would have elite ball handling for 48 minutes esp if we stagger their minutes. He solves our two biggest needs. 1) PG play, 2) Creator. Bev is a good 3 and D guy, but he's basically an undersized 2 guard. While Harden is the guy I want as the no 1 option, we've all seen that if too much is asked of him, Harden can't do it all. He can't play 48 minutes as the primary ball handler. No one can. Getting Dragic would allow Harden to rest up for the playoffs and give us depth.

Also who will we likely get with our picks?

#13 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,290 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:52 PM

The pells pick could theoretically net a real difference maker in the draft but one of our picks will be so late best case is they get a nice bench player out so its not the end of the world if that ends up being the case. Problem is you really only want to pay Dragic 2-3 years and he will almost certainly want a 4yr deal.

#14 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 475 posts
                • LocationHouston

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:12 PM

The pells pick could theoretically net a real difference maker in the draft but one of our picks will be so late best case is they get a nice bench player out so its not the end of the world if that ends up being the case. Problem is you really only want to pay Dragic 2-3 years and he will almost certainly want a 4yr deal.

dragics only 28, where are you getting 2-3yrs idea? It that cause of a rebuild, just curious not saying your wrong?

Edited by Losthief, 12 February 2015 - 10:12 PM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#15 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,596 posts
                • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:47 PM

A four year close to max deal is not bad with the new Television contract.

Quick question. If the cap rises 20 mil does the player get that extra 35%(I think that's the percentage) or are they locked in at the rate of the old cap?

Edited by timetodienow1234567, 12 February 2015 - 10:47 PM.

#16 TTrainW

TTrainW

• Members
                • Pip
                • 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:10 AM

dragics only 28, where are you getting 2-3yrs idea? It that cause of a rebuild, just curious not saying your wrong?

A bit hard to see Morey seeing Dragic as a long term solution to the point guard position, he may want to keep it flexible with the 2-3 years deal IMO. Also Howard's contract is coming off in 2 years, hard to see Morey committing to Dragic for four years with future possibly in turmoil in two years. Of course this is solely talking in cap space and financial flexibility. Dragic is 29 years old but doesn't rely on athleticism and plays below the rim, ideal for long term career I suppose?

#17 TTrainW

TTrainW

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:21 AM

Speaking of playmakers, I just saw this little tidbit:

I put Randy Foye's name in bold because he might be someone Morey would take a 1 year flyer on.  He's had a rough year (he had a leg injury that kept him out for most of the season), but is easing back into game shape.  He is a career .375 3pt. shooter and a solid combo guard who is happy to come off the bench, but can start when needed at either G position.  He can rack up assists or go off from deep...sometimes both.  It was just last year he went for 30 points and 15 assists (including 6-10 from deep) against us.  Added bonus: he tends to play well against Golden State...which we could use.  He's also shot in the mid-40's on corner threes the past three seasons.

The knocks against him are streaky shooting, a penchant for turnovers, and bad defensive numbers.  Still, he can beat his man off the dribble, make plays for others, knock down the long ball, will be happy to come off the bench and will be on a cheap 1 year deal (assuming he gets bought out).

He and Terry would make for a solid duo in the second unit (obviously, not on the defensive end).

Foye would be a nice addition to our bench. Add some more unpredictablity, nice fit with the three point shooting. Can't see him to be a worse shooter than Brewer, who's been shooting nicely since joining the Rockets. With his size and strength, he can probably hold his own against defenders, and help with the boards a bit. 

IMO though the bench needs more willing passers like Papa. Ball movement stagnates when Harden, D-Mo and Papa sit on the bench. Not the best offense, though this is remedied partly with Smith on the floor. 

Speaking of Terry, what do you guys think about the recent rumours of Rockets dangling Terry on the trade market? His contract (one year left with 500 million) would be a useful piece in a trade. I still think he's ok on the bench as a veteran 3 point shooter with the untangibles the team needs. 

#18 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,290 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:44 AM

A four year close to max deal is not bad with the new Television contract.

Quick question. If the cap rises 20 mil does the player get that extra 35%(I think that's the percentage) or are they locked in at the rate of the old cap?

Couldn't find anything definitive but it appears to be based off the cap number from the current year the deal is signed then raises at like 5% per year. 

Its not an absolute deal breaker but to me the fourth year would end up as a bad deal. Plus we could have huge space when Howards option is up and before we have to pay DMo.

#19 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 475 posts
                      • LocationHouston

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:02 AM

They players union and the nba haven't worked out the cap jump, so it might be like everyone just get raises percentage wise to match the rise in cap (and even out the massive jump), or not and some guys will end up on cheap 'max' type deals after the jump ...its really up in the air right now and could be a HUGE factor in determining the landscape of the nba this next decade.

Edited by Losthief, 13 February 2015 - 06:03 AM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#20 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 168 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:32 AM

Yeah, I'd be willing to give Foye a shot (good idea JG). Last year for most of the season he was actually pretty damn good for Denver, even with the responsibility of being their 3rd or even 2nd go-to guy. Considering the Nuggets are just a trainwreck on all levels (players/coaching/management), I'm willing to overlook his underwhelming performance this season (plus he's been injured).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rockets, Trade Deadline, James Harden, 4th quarter offense

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users