Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Rockets @ Suns 1/23/15

Houston Rockets Phoenix Suns James Harden Dwight Howard

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,309 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

Houston Rockets 113, Phoenix Suns 111: A Beard of an Escape
by Paul McGuire | January 24, 2015 at 03:24 AM

Stats are a weird thing.

One argument that critics make of James Harden is that he does not possess the midrange game which is crucial for a championship team. He just depends on three-pointers and drawing fouls, which makes him predictable and means he can be shut down in the playoffs. And when one looks at Harden’s shooting numbers, this year is not that different from last year. In fact, Harden is shooting 34% from 16 feet to the three-point line this year in contrast to 41% last year.

But this does not match up at all with what I have seen this year. Harden has developed a mid-range game, and he uses it more than ever. The stepback mid-range jumper is another weapon in his arsenal and is why his scoring has increased even though Harden is not actually not drawing fouls at the same rate as previous seasons ( While Harden draws as many free throws as he did last season, you have to remember that he dominates the ball more compared to last year). Tonight, Harden took on PJ Tucker, a defender who has given him fits in the past, scored 33 points, and rose up to drain the classic mid-range game winner. New-style money ball, meet old-style classic ball.

Harden’s game winning shot over the Suns will get the highlight reels, but that is not as important as Dwight Howard’s right ankle injury. Howard rolled his ankle while grabbing a rebound with three minutes left in the first quarter. The injury did not appear to be that serious, but the Rockets wasted no time declaring that Howard would be out for the rest of the game. The latest reports from Jonathan Feigen indicate that Howard seems to be fine and could be ready for Sunday’s game against the Lakers, but I am far too paranoid about Howard’s health to rest easy. Howard is scoring less than 14 points on just 54% shooting for January, and I am depressed to admit after his injuries and sub-par offense that he should probably not make the All-Star team this year.

Howard’s absence was exacerbated by the fact that Motiejunas struggled with foul trouble for most of the game – he played extremely well, but only for 23 minutes. McHale called up Smith, Dorsey, and Papanikolaou to substitute for the missing big men, but all three had their problems. Smith was effective scoring in transition as well as the post ( where he hit a couple hook shots), but he had 6 of Houston’s 14 turnovers in just the latest episode of why I am not much more confident in Smith’s passing compared to the rest of his offensive game. Papanikolaou by contrast passed well, especially alongside Motiejunas, but missed all four of his three-pointers. And those misses were about as bad as it gets, especially since Papanikolaou was not contested in any of them and was completely wide-open in at least two of them. And Dorsey committed the stupidest foul of the game, as he gave Markieff Morris the and-1 in the final 30 seconds which completed Phoenix’s last-ditch rally.

And while Harden’s game-winner was fantastic, it came to that thanks to said last-ditch rally and a Rockets collapse. Houston had a solid lead for the first 42 minutes of the game and led by 14 points with less than six minutes left. They then stopped playing defense down the stretch, as Phoenix would come down to score in all but two possessions for the remainder of the game. Houston would have been able to avoid that final collapse had Dwight been healthy, but their defense has not been quite as good as it was at the start of the season. The Rockets committed several easy mistakes on defense, such as a play in the third quarter when Motiejunas and Beverley needlessly collapsed on Eric Bledsoe, leaving Alex Len open for the easy dunk.

After nearly giving away tonight’s game to a Western Confernece playoff contender, Houston will look to blow out the Lakers on Sunday. The Lakers are a hot mess, Kobe appears to be done for the season, and no one knows what is going on between Lin and Byron Scott (Lin got a DNP-CD in last night’s game against San Antonio.) An easy game may be just what the doctor ordered to get this team rejuvenated.

How sweet it is!

#2 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:00 AM

Byron Scott just doesn't see how good LIN is. He is a worthless coach. Fire Scott, bring back D'Antoni to maximize the efforts of the best player on the Lakers team, my messiah, JEREMY LIN.

#3 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 144 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:45 AM

Byron Scott just doesn't see how good LIN is. He is a worthless coach. Fire Scott, bring back D'Antoni to maximize the efforts of the best player on the Lakers team, my messiah, JEREMY LIN.

I completely agree! Moron Scott needs to become a sensitive new age guy like Pop and massage his pgs ego as i am really worried about what this could be doing to Lins confidence.Luckily the allstar game is around the corner and Lin will be vindicated once winning the MVP. Fire Byron talent-rot!

#4 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 671 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:56 AM

HAHA,

I agree Lin had his time and will never replicate what he did, but Scott is a terrible coach. So they kind of both suck.

#5 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 172 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:35 AM

Well, you got your easy game. The Lakers are in full tank mode to keep the top 5 pick that otherwise would go to Phoenix. You'd have to be incredibly naive to think otherwise. Very sad.

#6 Willk

Willk

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 314 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:58 AM

Well, you got your easy game. The Lakers are in full tank mode to keep the top 5 pick that otherwise would go to Phoenix. You'd have to be incredibly naive to think otherwise. Very sad.

Lin, played well in garbage time. Congrats. of course he helped the Lakers get to 25 down, but that's besides the point.

#7 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,597 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

Wow. There is a ton of hatred for Lin still.

Why so Serious? :D

#8 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 172 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, not sure what you guys have to so p'd off about. We're the ones that need to deal with his crazy fans. Strangely, the term "Lin Only Fan" has yet to take hold in the Laker forums. I think the reason is we don't realistically expect (or even want) to win this year.

#9 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 172 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

Lin, played well in garbage time. Congrats. of course he helped the Lakers get to 25 down, but that's besides the point.

wait a minute . . . . does Willk take me for a Lin fan?  Laker fan all the way, bro.  Been following the Rockets since I was just a kid, though, because I hated the Celtics so much.  81 and 86 were as painful for most Laker fans as for Rockets fans.  Trust me . . . . I was young, but I remember like it was yesterday.   

#10 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,134 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:39 AM

Wow. There is a ton of hatred for Lin still.

I don't think there was ever hatred for Lin--just his (blindly insane and overly vocal) fans.  You read one comment (that was obviously 100% farcical) and somehow decided that "there is a ton of hatred for Lin still"?  Really?  Where?  

#11 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,008 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:32 AM

I was mocking all the LOF that were here for two long years. LIN seems like a good guy, but the messiah persona his fans attached to him, at no fault to his own, was a bit nauseating.

#12 Willk

Willk

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 314 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:31 AM

wait a minute . . . . does Willk take me for a Lin fan? Laker fan all the way, bro. Been following the Rockets since I was just a kid, though, because I hated the Celtics so much. 81 and 86 were as painful for most Laker fans as for Rockets fans. Trust me . . . . I was young, but I remember like it was yesterday.

No worries just sick of all of the LOFs that Pop up around these games

#13 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 2,008 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

SadLakerFan is above the petty LOF bs. He is a true fan of basketball.

#14 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 144 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

I don't think there was ever hatred for Lin--just his (blindly insane and overly vocal) fans.  You read one comment (that was obviously 100% farcical) and somehow decided that "there is a ton of hatred for Lin still"?  Really?  Where?  

Spot on! Just jokes Folks! The only players I have hated while watching basketball are Karl Malone, The entire Utah Jazz team of the late 90s, Danny Ainge and Bill Laimbeer a bit of distaste for some of the things Kobe does but not hate. Lin doesn't move the needle. Though at times his fans seemed to be anti-rockets so I certainly am happy to see them gone. I actually wouldn't mind having Lin back as a Rocket on a much reduced contract as an emergency off the bench but unfortunately that would be at the cost of intelligent Rockets discussion which is too much of a cost to bare.

#15 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 475 posts
                        • LocationHouston

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:01 AM

i hate carlos boozer...but thats just me....

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#16 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                        • 4,134 posts
                        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:37 AM

i hate carlos boozer...but thats just me....

No, it's not just you.  To this day, I always refer to him as "Carlos Effing Boozer" (but the R-rated version).  You gotta say the whole thing...

tumblr_mrc609KIVF1riomg7o1_500.gif

#17 Willk

Willk

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 314 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:08 AM

Spot on! Just jokes Folks! The only players I have hated while watching basketball are Karl Malone, The entire Utah Jazz team of the late 90s, Danny Ainge and Bill Laimbeer a bit of distaste for some of the things Kobe does but not hate. Lin doesn't move the needle. Though at times his fans seemed to be anti-rockets so I certainly am happy to see them gone. I actually wouldn't mind having Lin back as a Rocket on a much reduced contract as an emergency off the bench but unfortunately that would be at the cost of intelligent Rockets discussion which is too much of a cost to bare.

I will always dislike Karl Malone

#18 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • 2,008 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:31 AM

I will always dislike Karl Malone

And Stockton and his shortie short shorts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Houston Rockets, Phoenix Suns, James Harden, Dwight Howard

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users