Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Josh Smith - First Glimpse

Josh Smith Rockets Pistons

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Fony Groaning

Fony Groaning

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

Looks like there's a chance the Rockets will pick up Josh Smith. I'm really intrigued by the idea. If we can solidify the 4/5 spot with Smith, Dmo and Dwight (with Papa playing the 4 in small lineups) it would be much easier to move Jones and Black/Dorsey + picks for some playmaking depth.

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,133 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:25 PM

According to Yahoo Sports, we can sign him with our bi-annual exception ($2.077M) for the remainder of the season.  There is also a 2 year option for the same amount.

I've been back and forth on this, but for that price, with Jones' health in question, and knowing he is still pretty studly on the defensive end I am on board with Morey signing him.  He won't be called upon to lead or score the way he has been in the past.  He can play off the ball, rebound, defend, and I don't mind if he puts up some shots in the process.  He's not going to sport the 25% usg rate he currently has in Detroit.  It will likely shift downwards to a hair below 20% (hopefully).

Given the potential upside and the limited downside I think it's gong to be hard for Morey to pass up this deal--especially considering the Clips, Kings, Mavs and heat are all vying for him too--we don't need any of them getting stronger (potentially).

The only concern for me is who loses their roster spot and how the chemistry will be.  Maybe we can trade Capela to Philly for a draft pick?  Canaan might be expendable with Shved here....I like Canaan, but he does have limited upside.

#3 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,308 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:34 PM

Morey should try him out and if McHale and Bickerstaff can make it work then great and if not release him before the final run before the playoffs. I would hate to see another Western Conference contender have a chance to integrate him with success. Maybe it will be his wake up call too with Dwight being a positive influence on him.
    How sweet it is!

#4 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:17 PM

Smith is worth a look, if he comes in a and works hard on defense we can live with a few errant shots if not cut him and move on 2mill is a lot easier to swallow than the 32 the pistons are paying him. Dorsey, shved or Canaan would seem like the obvious cut options to make room.

Edited by Cooper, 22 December 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#5 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:15 PM

I would definitely be on board with this. Low-risk gamble on a guy who can make an impact defensively. As noted, the USG will also come down.

#6 majik19

majik19

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 277 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:20 PM

This is a free swing for the fences move for Morey - he must think Christmas came early. 

The biggest issue with this move would be spacing - we're struggling enough at the 3 point line, and Smith would only make it worse. On offense he becomes another devastating cutter for Harden to flip the ball to (Or Howard could, if the opposing 4 tries to double from the weak side). But the real question is - would he affect our spacing any more than Motiejunas? Obviously D-mo brings the ability to score in the post (does Smith have a post game at all?) 

However, we would be world-destroyers on the defensive end. Imagine Beverly hounding PGs, Howard patrolling the paint, Ariza making it hard on the opposing SG/SF, and Smith lurking to block the shot. The real question is - can Smith guard Aldridge one on one? He matches athleticism well with Griffin and Ibaka. Hell, I would unleash him on Klay Thompson while Bev guarded Curry and hide Harden on Iguodala against the Warriors. 

Another benefit is when Harden sits (assuming Brewer comes in) - then you have a fantastic defensive lineup, albeit one that would be practically unable to score. 

#7 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:38 PM

The only concern for me is who loses their roster spot and how the chemistry will be.  Maybe we can trade Capela to Philly for a draft pick?  Canaan might be expendable with Shved here....I like Canaan, but he does have limited upside.

Seems to me that Joey Dorsey would be the odd man out. Tarik Black was reasonably solid as D12's backup when he missed all those games earlier this season. The Rockets can't afford at this time to let Canaan go, especially with Beverley's injury history. Shved is someone that could be traded by the February Deadline with his $4.5 million salary and is too valuable too simply waive at this moment. Who knows, maybe Shved comes in as the backup PG and plays well enough to stay here, too. Much too soon to know either way with him. Corey Brewer is likely a Rocket for the longterm, doubtful in my mind the Rockets would move him in February unless he really stunk things up these next 6 weeks or so.

Since Josh Smith won't clear waivers until Wednesday, there will be plenty of time to discuss the pros and cons of adding him to our roster. With the Pistons stuck in paying his albatross of a contract, I agree with those that say bring Josh Smith onboard. Since the Rockets can pay him more than any of the other possible suitors, odds are pretty good that Smith ends up here, especially if he prefers Houston over Dallas, Miami, LA (Clippers), etc. Philadelphia could pay Josh Smith a lot more money than anyone else in the league, but why would they want to do that when they are clearly still in rebuilding mode.

#8 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 144 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:53 PM

With t Jones out this is a no brainer! Go ROCKETS! You have to cut Dorsey! We will regret losing anyone else.I definitely do not want to lose Canaan!

#9 08huangj

08huangj

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 77 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:00 AM

I think that after we sign Smith, we could package one of the other 4s(Black, Jones, Motiejunas) and a combination of picks for the backcourt. I mean, you don't necessarily need Dragic or a star. The rockets just need more quality players who can handle the ball and be the playmaker when Harden is off.

#10 Fony Groaning

Fony Groaning

• Members
                • Pip
                • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:07 AM

I think that after we sign Smith, we could package one of the other 4s(Black, Jones, Motiejunas) and a combination of picks for the backcourt. I mean, you don't necessarily need Dragic or a star. The rockets just need more quality players who can handle the ball and be the playmaker when Harden is off.

I was thinking along the same lines. I kind of can't believe how lucky the Rockets would be to pick this guy up for basically nothing after trying to get him for so long. Suddenly our weakest position coming into this year (even before possibly signing Smith) is looking really good, allowing us to focus on some much-needed playmaking depth.

#11 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 168 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:51 AM

Wasn't too high on the idea when I first saw he was waived... but I guess it could be pretty low-risk. To me, the most obvious cut would be Dorsey.

I do remain skeptical, since after 10 years in the league, Smith has shown more of his downside than he has of his upside. 10 years is a while. But I'd love to be proved wrong! Maybe Morey/Dwigth/McHale/JB really can reprogram him a bit.

And obviously this all involves a larger discussion about the state of TJones. Was really looking forward to seeing him take another leap this year...

Edited by cointurtlemoose, 23 December 2014 - 05:52 AM.

#12 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,125 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:55 AM

Wasn't too high on the idea when I first saw he was waived... but I guess it could be pretty low-risk. To me, the most obvious cut would be Dorsey.

I do remain skeptical, since after 10 years in the league, Smith has shown more of his downside than he has of his upside. 10 years is a while. But I'd love to be proved wrong! Maybe Morey/Dwigth/McHale/JB really can reprogram him a bit.

And obviously this all involves a larger discussion about the state of TJones. Was really looking forward to seeing him take another leap this year...

very well said................TOTALLY AGREE.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#13 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 211 posts
                    • LocationIsrael

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:24 AM

Smith's shot chart from this year is very strange http://vorped.com/1-...mith/shotchart/ (switch to the "Shot Zones" tab), with some green spots of hope on the left side and a lot of red on the right. Does this fit Rockets offense?

#14 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 475 posts
                    • LocationHouston

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

detriots a pretty god awful shooting team, and combine that with an overcrowded paint....and I think he would fit 'better'. That said...I don't think we would be getting offensively the guy who played in Atlanta, but at 2 mil a year if we got say 60 percent of that and we got 100 percent of his defense (which i think has tailed off due to playing 3s and lack of effort) then I think he would fit. Also, he would help on the fast break I believe. Now, I don't remember him having much of a post game besides out athleticism(ing) his opponents (a la dwight) so don't count on that imho. Still a good buy low move with alot of playoff experience (though no championship level exp.).

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#15 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 2,596 posts
                    • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:18 PM

Why would Smith come here unless he's been told unequivocally he'd be the starter. Miami needs him also and he'd start there.

Why so Serious? :D

#16 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 211 posts
                    • LocationIsrael

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:20 PM

To win a championship, that's not happening in Miami.

#17 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 170 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:40 PM

It would be a low risk/high reward signing. I am a little nervous about his ability to be "team" player as there have been reports of his "cancerous" attitude but with Harden clearly stepping up at the leader and solid veteran influences in Ariza and Terry and his close friendship with Dwight perhaps it can work. I would hope his usage rate drops lower than 20 and he becomes a monster on D and the boards.  Imagine a defense with Bev, Ariza, Brewer, Smith and Howard and not to mention Harden, who's become a near elite defender himself...

#18 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 2,008 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

Why would Smith come here unless he's been told unequivocally he'd be the starter. Miami needs him also and he'd start there.

$500k per year plus a real shot at two rings.

#19 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                        • 4,133 posts
                        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:59 PM

I don't want to read between the lines too much, but Marc Berman has Dwight Howard quoted on his Twitter saying this:

"Dwight Howard asked what Josh Smith said after his recruiting pitch: "I can't tell you. You got to wait and see." - See more at: http://hoopshype.com....kvj90gjA.dpuf"

Sounds like we're getting a new PF, doesn't it?

#20 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 2,596 posts
                        • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:31 AM

He'd have to start. He's not 35. He's not a broken down role player yet.

I'm just not sure how he'd fit in as a starter. But he had to have been pretty cancerous to be cut like that. Apparently the Pistons would have had to give up a 1st for him to trade him. They decided to take the cap hit instead.

Why so Serious? :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Josh Smith, Rockets, Pistons

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users