Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Trade Brooks and call up Canaan

Isaiah Canaan Aaron Brooks trade Omer Asik point guard Vipers

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:00 AM

good points, buckko, and i was not aware of brooks NTC myself.  thats interesting / surprising.  at any rate, i dont think its outrageous at all to think canaan could see some time with the rockets this season.  hopefully not though, cause it would most likely involve a major injury, but could be related to some kind of trade.

#22 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:01 AM

i think you guys that are upset with bev as the starter arent accounting for how it affects lins play off the bench.  any trade scenarios aside, i think the bev starting, lin off the bench, is best for this roster.

^^ as in I think Lin is flourishing in his current role.  not like 6th MOY or anything but producing more for this team.

Edited by tombrokeoff, 05 December 2013 - 06:03 AM.

#23 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:12 AM

I disagree, 16 pts 5 asists 3 boards and 2 steals with adequate D is 6th man of the year contender status but he would probably not be included on the ballot due to so many underestimating him.

#24 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 339 posts
    • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

Also starts or coming off bench, Lin seems able to get similar production.

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#25 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 103 posts
    • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

If I were to move anyone at this point, it would be Brewer... I'd much rather have a shooter sitting in his place who might possibly make a difference when injuries affect our offensive production.

No way do I let Brooks go, he is one bright spot on our roster. He is able to create assists more efficiently than Beverly, besides being a better shooter. We are lucky to have Lin, Bev, and Brooks on the roster together IMHO.

#26 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,290 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

Time for the logic man to come in. Brooks has a no trade clause so that kills the initial topic, but he's the best 3rd string PG in the league any way. Canaan needs experience not bench warming so keep him in the D-league for at least this season. Done.

Nate Robinson has been good in Denver I'd take him over brooks.

#27 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,636 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

Debatable.

#28 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 506 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

Bev's offensive play making have been blah and I still see major holes in his defensive game, but on the other hand his +/- remains consistently good. so one has to take that into account

#29 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 3,216 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:29 AM

Bev's offensive play making have been blah and I still see major holes in his defensive game, but on the other hand his +/- remains consistently good. so one has to take that into account

We can't take +/- into account without taking line ups into account. Bev is always on the floor with starters. This is why I prefer RAPM.

Edited by 2016Champions, 06 December 2013 - 02:29 AM.

#30 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,008 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:31 AM

We can't take +/- into account without taking line ups into account. Bev is always on the floor with starters. This is why I prefer RAPM.

+/- differential is a better stat. What are the Rockets +/- per game when he is on vs when he is off?

Edited by Steven, 06 December 2013 - 02:32 AM.

#31 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 506 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:25 AM

I know that , but we don't have RAPM so far this year , and I should note his +/- is better than most of the other starters as well, something to consider. only guy on the starting lineup with a better net +/- than him so far is Harden. and we don't sub lineups completely , McHale usually mixes subs and rotate 8-9 guys except for specific points when he just use all the starter /closers

Aside from his offensive side, which I doubt can improve that much other than more consistent spot up shooting (though it would really help he get learns ABZ's running hook drive that he always use.) defensively the glaring hole of him getting killed on screens and switches is quite obvious, but that is relatively fixable over the long run (though by long run I mean 2-3 years.) for someone who clearly pride himself on defense.

It does get comical how many times you see Dwight guarding opposing PGs because Bev blew the switch so badly.  strangely as I noted, the +/- doesn't seem to reflect this, and I'm sure if there was some hidden metric that reveal he's killing the team Morey would have let McHale known by now.  so it is a curiour case worth noting, I see contradicting things and don't know what sort of conclusion to draw, lets just put it that way.

There is value in energy guys and guys who just go out there and flat out hustle, which Bev is,  Though it is a curious case of wondering why the observation of his lack of defensive awareness on top of his obvious offensive flaws hasn't seem to hurt the team that much . 

Edited by RollingWave, 06 December 2013 - 05:34 AM.

#32 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,216 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:17 AM

RAPM doesn't come out until we're 60 games into the season, the reason as I've stated before is sample size. It doesn't look like he has improved much since last season so I think it's safe to get a fair idea of what his RAPM will be based on what it was last season, and last season it was average.

Edited by 2016Champions, 06 December 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#33 Kiss_of_Death_Clutch_City

Kiss_of_Death_Clutch_City

• Members
              • Pip
              • 20 posts
              • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

I like Canaan's potential, but he is not ready for the NBA just yet. His game is going to be a nice fit once he gets here, but for this season (barring an unforeseen injury) I keep Canaan right where he's at and let him develop. The only way I could see him coming up is if Beverly wound up as part of the Asik trade which I wouldn't necessarily rule out. @datruth I'm starting to lose my patience with Beverly too. He looked good early, but he's definitely beginning to look very mediocre to me. If he went out in a trade I would not miss his game all that much.

#34 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,008 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:42 AM

21.7/9.3/4.3 shooting 42.3% from three. 2.8 assists to TOs, through 6 games.

Covington is putting up similar numbers as TJones did last year as well.

Good to see young guys getting games.

#35 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 3,216 posts
                • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

It would feel so heartless to trade Aaron Brooks. He just seems like such a loyal Rockets guy. I do think Canaan will be an upgrade in time, but like kiss of death said that time should be next season for more than one reason.

#36 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,134 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

I have really enjoyed Brooks' play this season.  He reminds me a lot of Nate Robinson with his ability to suddenly become unstoppable on offense.  Like Nate, he can go cold, but I'd say the benefit outweighs the cost.

#37 Fury

Fury

• Members
                • Pip
                • 27 posts
                • LocationLee's Summit, MO

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Canaan's week in the D-League:

25.5 ppg

9.3 apg

20/31 (64%) from 3

That is unreal production. Maybe y'all are right. Maybe he needs more time to develop--but WOW!

#38 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,636 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

Thats D-league for you.

#39 detheredge

detheredge

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:11 AM

With the emergence of Jones at PF, does anyone else think that Point Guard is now our most glaring need? Seems to me that Asik + Lin could bring back an elite PG. Maybe we can send Brooks to a 3rd team as a part of that trade to sweeten the A + L deal with a 2nd rounder or something?

Assuming we were looking to grab a PG, who would we want who's potentially available and would fit salary wise? I'd think scoring would be secondary to grabbing a strong assist + defender. Thoughts?

#40 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,290 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:30 AM

Asik for a backup wing or center and a pick seems ideal to me. Pg is good enough with Lin and bev.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Isaiah Canaan, Aaron Brooks, trade, Omer Asik, point guard, Vipers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users